• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The rights of a high school student in regards to assigning classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvxfreak

Today's been a really shitty day for me. My principal called me in today to notify me that I had to switch from being a teacher's aide to being a student in "Life Skills" - that is, a class about getting into college and life in general. I had come from a Health course, which was one semester, so the second semester was up for grabs; I chose being a TA.

Unfortunately, I'm in this worthless class for one reason, and one reason only. I'm in to meet a student quota. Simply put, if there are enough students, the class stays. Not enough students, the section drops.

So, unfortunately, I and a bunch of others, against our wishes (and the wishes of our parents), are in this shitty class for the rest of the semester.

I went to the principal and tried to get a schedule change, but the smug asshole wouldn't give it to me.

I mean, there HAS to be some student rights law violated here, correct? Don't we and our parents maintain enough control to drop a class if we really pushed for it? Can they legally make you take a class that would unaffect your graduation?

I'm taking this to the superintendent, but if I don't have to go that far, I won't.

Phoenix

There are no "student's rights" laws for one. You can have you parents take the issue to the school board, but depending on the reasons you were moved from the class you are likely just going to have to deal with it from a legal perspective.

LakeEarth

I'd take it up with the schoolboard. They can't force you out of one course and enter you into one you didn't even sign up for just because they don't have enough people.

pxleyes

Banned
The only rights you have are in the Constitution section of your 8th grade Civics book. Seriously, if you dont like it, protest it with the schoolboard, but you have no rights. Deal with issues like this in college, where you pay to go.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Yeah, don't take that bs. Schools here let you choose what you want, so fight for it.

This isn't Russia damnit.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Some kids at my school are having the same problem. Being forced to take journalism :lol

Tenacious-V said:
This isn't Russia damnit.
Haha, I was just talking to this cool exchange student from Kazakhstan the other day, and that's exactly how they do things over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom