• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rise of Skywalker - Place Your Bets

Kagey K

Banned
I think it’s going to suck, but I hope they do it well and give it a proper send off. Nothing is ever going to compare to the original 3 and trying to tell stories based on that has failed.

The either need to come up with many other stories in the universe during the timeline, or bury it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
My bets

- The story will be a shit storm, however not quite as bad as TLJ

- The film will make insane amounts of money. It’s a cultural event to even non-SW fans to go to see it

That’s all I got

Last edited:

Ichabod

Banned
It will make bank. The masses will lap it up with cow-eyed euphoria. Critics will tear it a new asshole.

I'm personally looking forward to RLM, the Critical Drinker, Mauler, and Weekend Warrior's critiques.

MilkyJoe

It'll make a few quid, no where near as much as The Force Awakens and definitely less than The Last Jedi.

Jumanji will out gross it at the box office

Kylo will die

The last line of the movie will be "I am Rey Skywalker"

I couldn't give a fuck wither way as I'm not going to see it. Star Wars by committee was never going to be any good.

P.s. This is NOT the Sequel Trilogy, this is the Disney Trilogy. Star Wars ended with Return of the Jedi.

I actually just go home from my local supermarket and was checking toys.

Not a single star wars thing there, lego, paw patrol, fortnite, peppa pig, barbies, frozen etc but nothing star wars.

Last xmas there was an entire wall for star wars crap this year nothing

Porcile

No doubt it will be a big success. It can't not be due to the forced hype and marketing. However the damage these films have done to the franchise in the long term will be felt much further down the line. If Disney was banking on characters like Rey, Kylo Finn, Poe, Rose whoever the fuck sustaining the franchise into the next decade then they pretty much fucked up any chance of that.

Paltheos

i could see this happening. the ST has made me really appreciate the PT in so many ways, i can at least thank it for that. the needlessly baroque worldbuilding and just constant bursting forth of new ideas, as well as capturing the otherworldliness of it all, with the PT George successfully captured those elements of the OT.

I don't. Like, I could praise them as the most superficial element of the movies but worldbuilding isn't what the OT is about. It's about exciting adventures and the personal stories of these characters. I could praise Lucas in the PT for technically succeeding in these regards but I so didn't care about what was going on on-screen that it's... faint praise at best. Both the PT and ST are shit, and I haven't measured which is less. I wouldn't recommend any of these movies to anyone, but I understand some people enjoyed TFA so I'm not in-line with everyone.

Last edited:
It will make money. But less than what Disney expects.

It'll be an ok movie. Forgettable, but not terrible.

I'm not going to watch it anyway.

Rey is Palps granddaughter but at the end she takes on the name Skywalker. Essentially ending with a descendant of the villain stealing the heroes name. LMAO. Load of shite.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm looking forward to it, I will likely enjoy it for it's spectacle if nothing else. No idea what is gonna happen, the last movie didn't really have a natural progression to a finale. Likely it will be more of a set-up for the 'new star wars universe', cutting the remaining ties to the OT, than a full on finale. It will make a ton of money. No matter the quality it will be prejudged as the best movie ever, or the worst piece of stinking shit depending on peoples politics for some reason.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Likely it will be more of a set-up for the 'new star wars universe'
if they were smart then yeah, this would have all kinds of hooks. but it's obvious they suck at planning and thinking further than 2-3 years in the future. personally i'm skeptical this "new" universe will ever come to pass. they don't have the balls to drop anything new, just endless fan service.

besides, Baby Yoda is a big hit. Boba Fett action figure TV show is a big hit. they already have Obi Wan and Rebel Guy tv shows lined up, more milking of ANH. by the time 9 comes out they will have released 5 feature films about the Skywalker saga, with nothing new to show for it, and we have 3 ANH centric tv series coming with no end in sight. for all the talk of "franchise fatigue" they are milking those big inflamed space cow tits like there is no tomorrow.

Last edited:

manfestival

They are going to get my money. Will probably also get the same response from me 2 years ago. Where I left the theater confused and slightly frustrated only to later find out that people on the internet were raging about it and then it all clicked as to why I felt the way I did and could only feel extreme disappointment in what star wars had become.

They are going to get my money. Will probably also get the same response from me 2 years ago. Where I left the theater confused and slightly frustrated only to later find out that people on the internet were raging about it and then it all clicked as to why I felt the way I did and could only feel extreme disappointment in what star wars had become.
Same here... I liked TFA quite a bit, although I wasn't completely enamoured with it. I think they did a reasonable good job with it, though.
So i really looked forward to and wanted to love TLJ, but my face went from happy to "what is this shit" over the course of the movie, and when I left the theatre I was super angry.

I am happy I have the Mandalorian, though.
That's the Star Wars Sequel I always wanted to see after watching RotJ in 1983.
Finally.

MilkyJoe

I actually just go home from my local supermarket and was checking toys.

Not a single star wars thing there, lego, paw patrol, fortnite, peppa pig, barbies, frozen etc but nothing star wars.

Last xmas there was an entire wall for star wars crap this year nothing

Was in Hamley's at Lakeside. no Star Wars anything.

The only thing I'm really interested in is the story behind Palpetine's return and I hope it isn't something stupid like his mind possessed another person or it's just an AI construct of him that had been created before he died and was found in a pile of salvage or something.

I never cared about Rey or anyone else in the new trilogy.
My man... if the reddit leak is true... JJ doesn't even bother explaining it.

Another bogus mystery box "story for another time" piece of trash.

Since they already shot and edited this non-pitiable excuse for damage control, it is the necessary evil before Favreau takes over the movies and makes Star Wars great again.

NickFire

I never did find out why he made 3PO's arm red for TFA.
Hopefully for the slow burn, with a payoff of 3PO looking at friends for the last time before shooting one. There's a comic series with a 3PO like droid who loves exterminating people. Theme could fit nicely if 3PO decides to honor his creators legacy by joining Kylo.

force awakens was basically rehash of star wars new hope
last jedi was basically empire strikes back
rise of skywalker will be similar to return of the jedi

Fbh

It's probably going to be an ok, very safe movie that's not going to be good but also not as bad as TLJ.

It's JJ, who has shown again and again that he is creatively bankrupt, so I imagine most of the movie will be a greatest hits remix of the original trilogy. The emperor will be back, there's going to be another planet destroying weapon, we will see some struggle and "anger" from Rey but she wont turn, Kylo is going to turn good at the end and probably sacrifice himself to defeat Palpatine (probably giving Rey an opening since we can't have her NOT giving the killing blow), etc.
Dude is so unoriginal there's probably going to be a scene where the remains of Kylo are being burned and Rey will look to the side to see ghosts of him, Luke and Leia smiling

NickFire

Abrams is a hack so expect something that closely mirrors ROTJ.
I think there's good reason to doubt that. Lucas owned the IP from day 1 when concluding ROTJ, and he certainly had nothing to fix after Empire like Disney does now. What I am getting at is Disney has billions invested in this franchise, which it hopes drives more and more visitors to its parks. That causes me to believe they will conclude the story arc, but hardly leave us with a tidy happy days for everyone ending. So my guess, and frankly hope, is the movie ends much closer in feel to revenge of the sith than RoTJ.

Cutty Flam

Banned
It's almost that time.

Time for Disney to pull out the grave of the Star Wars sequel trilogy one last time.

What will happen?

Will Rey declare herself an honorary Skywalker?

Will Kylo Ren "redeem" himself?

Will JJ unveil a worse script than The Farce Awakens and/or The Last Jedi?

How much money will it make?

Place your bets, place your bets!
I'm not sure what will happen, but it looks like it'll actually be a great film based off the trailer. I watched it in theaters and was impressed, and I can't stand the casting choices in the current Star Wars saga either. So they must have finally gotten something right. But it is just a trailer after all

cryptoadam

Banned
So you think Disney will CGI Baby Yoda into this thing? give it a baby lightsaber? They gotta find a way to cash in on the Baby Yoda craze. Maybe Baby Yoda is Rey's parent?

come on we all want to see it, Rey is down for the count and Baby Yoda shows up kicks Palps ass and saves the galaxy.

So you think Disney will CGI Baby Yoda into this thing? give it a baby lightsaber? They gotta find a way to cash in on the Baby Yoda craze. Maybe Baby Yoda is Rey's parent?

come on we all want to see it, Rey is down for the count and Baby Yoda shows up kicks Palps ass and saves the galaxy.

At this point.. bring it on.

Grinchy

Banned
Oh okay. It's the classic. She's white so clearly she doesn't know what it's like to be poor etc. etc.

Only non white people have it tough. I forgot

I love the hypocrisy. "You have no idea what it's like to live as a black person in America! But I know, from one second of looking at your white skin, what your entire life experience has looked like."

I think it's a problem with parents. If you teach your children for 2 decades that white people hold secret meetings to hold them down and white police will shoot them during a routine stop, how could they not grow up to be racist?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I think it'll be good. Don't know where they're taking things, but the TLJ aside, Disney era Star Wars content has been well done and I would anticipate they've learned from their mistakes. Hoping for a not so happy ending with a twist, but with just one movie left there's not a whole lot they can do to surprise us without it feeling forced.

Last edited:

Yoda

It'll do "well" by regular blockbuster standards for sure. It'll surely gross less than TLJ though, as the half of the fan-base which hated TLJ surely won't be lining up day one to buy a ticket.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Sort of off topic but somebody filmed the entirety of the Rise of the Resistance ride at Disneyland.

May be the ride is better than the movie lol.

Xenon

bd5716e764eacd68ebd99866224f3cc1.jpg

Why do I want to replace kylo with Luke getting milk?

I'm going opening weekend. Meh...

Top Bottom