• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Road to PS5: Official Stream

9jEcT4w.png

JimboJones

I got that impression but maybe I’m wrong
I found an article detailing it, apparantly it will be standard NVMe drives BUT they have to meet strict requirements.

In short, expandable storage is possible and you won't need proprietary drives from Sony to get the extra space you want. However, in the short term at least, the advice is simple: don't buy an NVMe drive without Sony validation if you plan to use it in PlayStation 5. Also remember that extreme bandwidth PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives are likely to be very expensive - in the short term, at least. This is cutting-edge technology, after all. Obviously though, the outlook should improve significantly as the next generation progresses - and prices do tend to drop significantly over time.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...s-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision

So probably expensive Sony approved ones for a while until NVMe drives with these specs become more commonplace?

If the PS5 is a traditional, relatively small box like the PS4, does that mean that it's probably gonna be hot and loud again at these specs? Can someone explain?

Last edited:
Top Bottom