• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The rumored God of War Ragnarök DLC will be revealed before the end of the year

Not the worst thing in the world, dlc means it'll have a smaller scope and make it easier for them to get right.

It'll likely focus on Atreus but they'll need to expand his move set and give him better feeling weapons - paying as Atreus felt shallow compared to Kratos' Axe, Blades and Spear.

Regarding Ragnarok, it has some great moments but is too big for its own good (certain sections go on for too long).

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Sony is going to have a rough 2024 if all they have is DLCs like this.
Who is going to have a rough 2024 is the deniers that keep dreaming that sony has first party games under their belt to release in quick fashion next year ... they are in for a quick awakening

Woopah

I'll pass if this is Atreusboda DLC.
I'll pass if this FaThor DLC
I'll pass if this is a 60-70$ DLC
I'll maybe pass if this is Kratos Norse DLC. Depends.
I'm in if this is GOW Next transition DLC

It sucks, but good chance Corey Barlog's next game is still at least 4 years away. It is my most anticipated Sony game this generation, but there is no way that game went into full production before gowr released.

And, I swear I remember reading Sony Santa Monica not having enough developers for two full seperate teams, but more like 1.5. So, it makes sense they have developers working on a DLC game to help bridge the gap between big releases. Hopefully it's similar in scope to Phantom Liberty!

But overall, I really hope Sony's premiere studios keep expanding. There is no reason for them not to. Insomniac has such amazing output because they have at least two full separate teams simultaneously working on different projects. ND finally reached having 2 separate teams, but obvious issues since TLOU2. Guerilla Games finally has the manpower for two teams but they are still only focused on Horizon series. Sucker Punch, Blue Point, Housmarque, and Sony Bend still just one team and I don't see that changing anytime soon

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

lol who asked for DLC for an already bloated 40-50 hour campaign?

Make a next gen game you dumb cunts. You are a first party studio, not a third party c tier developer who has to pump out DLCs to stay afloat.
You clearly have no idea on how studios work, and what needs to be done to keep top talent entertained until it's their time to contribute to the next project.

Release windows and announcements are meaningless.

I'll count a game when I actually see it land.
Sony announces release dates much closer to release so saying they have nothing next year is weirdly premature and any of thsoe games i mentioned could be 2024 titles.

How confident are we that DS2 is coming out next year?
I mean...if it's not next year it'll take more time to develop than its previous title which was a new IP done while they were making a new studio. It would be weird. They have also released trailers since last year so 2024 makes sense.

Astray

Who is going to have a rough 2024 is the deniers that keep dreaming that sony has first party games under their belt to release in quick fashion next year ... they are in for a quick awakening
Regardless if you think David Jaffe and others are good sources or not, the idea that there's smoke without fire is simply absurd.

There are clearly issues at Sony rn. The only question is "how big are they?".

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

So you honestly think Sony won't have any 1st party games in 2024?

Regardless if you think David Jaffe and others are good sources or not, the idea that there's smoke without fire is simply absurd.

There are clearly issues at Sony rn. The only question is "how big are they?".

Of course there's issues at Sony. Jim Ryan wouldn't have left if there weren't issues. But there's nothing wrong with having issues if you know how to handle them.

mdkirby

You're in the minority there. Most people really liked or loved it.
Oh don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it and it was a good game. I was just 'done with it' by the end. Some games leave me wanting more and desperately waiting for an expansion etc. or left a clear lasting impression on me. This just wasn't one of those. For such an accomplished studio I'd just like to see something fresh from them. Sony are really lacking an answer to Bethesda, and Obsidian, and generally 'big immersive RPG' games, Santa Monica are one of the studios that could probably pull off something like that pretty well...or guerrilla...who also seem just stuck churning out Horizon games now. Another one where I loved the first game, but just find Aloy super grating, something about her just comes across as being constantly irritated by everyone she meets.

Astray

So you honestly think Sony won't have any 1st party games in 2024?
I think their slate is extremely thin and will likely be seen as uncompetitive in 2024.

Nintendo is launching a new Switch, likely with strong 1P material, and Microsoft is gonna start flexing its conglomerate of devs in 2024 too.

Of course there's issues at Sony. Jim Ryan wouldn't have left if there weren't issues. But there's nothing wrong with having issues if you know how to handle them.
Jim Ryan leaving indicates that the top brass at Sony are still figuring it out, not that they know how to handle them by now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think their slate is extremely thin and will likely be seen as uncompetitive in 2024.

Nintendo is launching a new Switch, likely with strong 1P material, and Microsoft is gonna start flexing its conglomerate of devs in 2024 too.

Jim Ryan leaving indicates that the top brass at Sony are still figuring it out, not that they know how to handle them by now.

- Well we know that Sony are viewing exclusive 3rd party games as if they are a 1st party game when it comes their pipeline. So that means we know they have Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth in February. MLB The Show in March. And then Wolverine later in the year. So in my opinion all they'd need is two more exclusive games for 2024 to fill out their pipeline.

- I don't think we've ever seen Sony not know how to handle a bad situation. They did a masterful job during the PS3 generation and that was a legit terrible launch and a bad "first 3 years" for them. So why should any PS5 owner be worried now?

kaizenkko

Bluepoint is developing this "DLC". The same approach with Visual Arts and the new Uncharted. Sony is putting those less-experience teams to develop "minor games" with the support of big studios (Santa Monica/Naughty Dog).

Mossybrew

Gold Member
I was just 'done with it' by the end. Some games leave me wanting more and desperately waiting for an expansion etc. or left a clear lasting impression on me. This just wasn't one of those.
Yeah, same. Not really fired up about the prospect of more of the same. Maybe if I can park that dumb head at home and go on a solo adventure without someone constantly talking in my ear, I might be slightly interested.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

There's quite a few studios that could have games releasing in 2024.

Bluepoint - last launched a game in 2020 (4 years ago)
Team Asobi - last launched a game in 2020 (4 years ago, and not even a full game)
Death Stranding 2 - 5 year dev cycle for DS2 would be normal
Final Fantasy Remake 2 - we know this is coming out in early 2024

This all points to a fairly good year. Exclusive third party games should not be ignored.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There's quite a few studios that could have games releasing in 2024.

Bluepoint - last launched a game in 2020 (4 years ago)
Team Asobi - last launched a game in 2020 (4 years ago, and not even a full game)
Death Stranding 2 - 5 year dev cycle for DS2 would be normal
Final Fantasy Remake 2 - we know this is coming out in early 2024

This all points to a fairly good year. Exclusive third party games should not be ignored.
You said that last year as well.

Just because they are due doesn’t mean they aren’t in development hell. And ff games don’t count because Sony isn’t making them. I will give you ds2 but it didn’t start development until mid 2022. Its 2025 otherwise Kojima would be releasing trailers at every event like he did with mgsv, and ds1.

Sonys first party released one game this year, no next Gen games last year and have nothing slated for next year. Other than maybe this last Gen dlc. This is bad.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
You said that last year as well.

Just because they are due doesn’t mean they aren’t in development hell. And ff games don’t count because Sony isn’t making them. I will give you ds2 but it didn’t start development until mid 2022. Its 2025 otherwise Kojima would be releasing trailers at every event like he did with mgsv, and ds1.

Sonys first party released one game this year, no next Gen games last year and have nothing slated for next year. Other than maybe this last Gen dlc. This is bad.

2023 has been good. They had FF16 and Spider-Man 2. I never claimed those other studios would be releasing games in 2023.

What was Kojima doing for 3 years? I don't believe DS2 started in 2022. Maybe mo-cap did. Not the game itself. Mo-cap in 2022 aligns with a 2024 release

Last edited:

Hestar69

Please kill off Atreus in the DLC and make the next game about Kratos going on a revenge spree to get his vengeance on the murderers.
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the worst part of ragnarok was playing as Atreus especially that one part that WOULD NEVER END. Kill him off and let's see Kratos kill everyone.

but it's Sony/SM they'll kill Kratos off and make Atreus and Angrboda the new main characters.

Fbh

Thor was one of the few things the game got right.

It was? I thought he was quite boring and underwhelming.

From my understanding, in Norse mythology he a fun muscle head with anger management issues.
In the game he is a depressed dad struggling with alcoholism. Also both his fights (like most boss battles in the game) were meh.

K' Dash

It was? I thought he was quite boring and underwhelming.

From my understanding, in Norse mythology he a fun muscle head with anger management issues.
In the game he is a depressed dad struggling with alcoholism. Also both his fights (like most boss battles in the game) were meh.

I liked his depiction here, he's depressed and alcoholic but there are good reasons for it. I liked the all father depiction too.

Now, the game was a huge let down compared to 2018. Reminds me of vanilla ME3 souring the whole franchise for me.

WitchHunter

Dancing on the remains of GOW3/GOW continues. Jaffe, Cory and Stig's bodies are mutilated each time these incompetent idiots touch the franchise again and again. I hope Atreus gets disemboweled in the DLC and Angrboda is abducted by werewolves and forced to make zuppe for them 24/7. So Kratos can again do his hissy fits and mutilate/massacre everyone at arms length.

Last edited:

Fake

Please kill off Atreus in the DLC and make the next game about Kratos going on a revenge spree to get his vengeance on the murderers.

Becareful what you wish. This can envolve a golf club and giving up the cicle of revenge in the end.

Top Bottom