• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sams Report: Surface Janus, PS5 Specs, and Xbox Storage

J4K

1. The PS5 is all but confirmed to be released in November of 2020 and it will come equipped with a 6TB SSD which can be removed from the system itself. If you have any questions please posts your comments down below and I will answer them in the best possible way I could, thank you!

Yeah ok BS confirmed.

24 gig is probably the sweet spot for next gen, a good reserve for the OS and still plenty left for games. That requires a 384bit bus like the Scorpio though so it ain’t guaranteed.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Only a 6TB SSD? Weak. They should go with at least 8TB.

It's good they're throwing in wireless VR and putting a gamepad on the screen. It's like the best of both worlds combining bundled Kinect and the WiiU's gamepad. At $500 to boot. Surefire hit with that move. GG M$.

Last edited:
Link to actual PS5 rumor that he is talking about

That sure is one well connected indie dev to have the inside scoop on not just Sonys plans but Bethesda, Activision and Rockstar.

I'm sure Rockstar is running around telling all the Nordic based indie devs about their plans for a game with a 2023 release year. Sounds exactly like what they'd do.

Much real. Very legits.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That leak is total bullshit. No indie is going to get a dev-kit 2 years ahead of release. No chance, at all.

lynux3

Because PSNow is a crap Cloud service? Outside of games Sony lacks scale in infrastructure against Google Amazon and Microsoft.
Actually it's not. PlayStation Now works just fine. I wouldn't call a service that controls more than 50% of the market crap.

12Dannu123

Actually it's not. PlayStation Now works just fine. I wouldn't call a service that controls more than 50% of the market crap.

You mean revenue, despite being on more consoles and despite being twice as expensive with almost no discounts than Game Pass?

That's the worst 'leak' I've seen so far, if it turns out to be true I'll be realllyyyyyyy disappointed. Only 16GB of RAM = that will be a challenge to devs within 2 years. Touchscreen on the controller = unnecessary. Bundled VR = VR is cool and all but if the console is gimped thanks to it... screw this.

16gb ram is a fuckton lol. what are you even saying?

16gb ram of DDR6 is like 160 dollars. you can't get much higher

tho you will likely see some DDR4 RAM for OS on the side. like a couple gigabytes.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You mean revenue, despite being on more consoles and despite being twice as expensive with almost no discounts than Game Pass?

Well, it is not bad compared to Game Pass + LIVE Gold as you do not need PSN+ for multiplayer enabled titles you play with PSNow (possibly the downloadable games too).

Dokku

Hi guys I'm a generic anonymous indie developer and here's what I know about ps5.

1) fully compatible with GameCube games

2) backwards compatibility achieved by including a ps4, ps3, ps2 and ps1 in the box

3) Dualshock 5 will include an anal probe for next gen haptic feedback

4) PS5 will have 8gb of Gddr5

5) The ps5 devkit looks alot like a ps4

6) on closer inspection this is indeed a ps4, sorry for wasting your time.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

GamePass doesn't offer streaming yet. PS Now offers both streaming and direct downloads, it also folds in network play access for its titles on top of PS4's standard offering of allowing F2P titles to work without an online sub.

As to disounts, sales are continuously happening on the Playstation Store so its hardly an issue.

lynux3

Twice as expensive monthly with 3-4x the games and it even has more downloadable titles than Game Pass. A yearly subscription is cheaper on PlayStation Now than Game Pass. When you're cleaning up 50%+ revenue in the market it resides in I'd consider that control.

bitbydeath

Yea, not buying it.
The screen on the controller thing was a headlining article that had misinterpreted the patent as having a screen on it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds like absolute BS.

I like the part where's he's an indie dev with big insights about PS5....... along with somehow knowing all the details about Rockstar and Bethesda games including knowing when trailers are happening in 2021 and GTA6 being released in 2023.

And PSVR2 will only be $100?

6tb SSD?

lol

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
$500 should be the new standard.

It will be so great to have ssd as standard in every unit that developers can count on being there.

They COULD put full size 3.5 inch drives in I suppose ; it's at least better than another shitty laptop hdd for the 3rd gen in a row.

Those bigger drives are slower, I thought. And they generate more heat.

More heat is the last thing a new Sony console needs

Those bigger drives are slower, I thought. And they generate more heat.

More heat is the last thing a new Sony console needs
No the bigger drives are faster, significantly. Between a 3.5 inch drive and much faster cpus to sort through the data, next gen would have enough read speed.

They wouldn't be an elegant solution, but if it was between them and laptop drives it'd be much better to have the former.

Let's just hope we get ssds though.

TLZ

Banned
PS5 + VR for $500 my ass. As if VR is that cheap, and as if Sony would drop more RAM or HDD or better specs in favor of VR. Because they're desperate to repeat Xbox One launch failure and ignore their own strategies and successes with the PS4, right?

Who is that fool anyway? Hellpoint Dev?

THE:MILKMAN

Reading the Reddit leakers comments it gets even better. Mark Cerny isn't the lead architect and the best one....The dev kit doesn't come with a BD drive but uses Vita/Switch style cartridges!

Hellpoint doesn't know dick

Most likely not but that isn't what bothers me about the article really. It is that the technical director of a game developer is quoted saying a split RAM pool is more likely/preferable and that a shared RAM pool is a bottleneck.

I just can't see the logic in not only splitting in a 8/8 config but also why Sony would choose to have two memory controllers on the APU and two RAM types. Mark Cerny covered all this in his Gamelab talk about what devs themselves told him what they wanted for PS4. No way do Sony complicate and increase the costs on the hardware for PS5 after the PS4 success.

SonGoku

Link to actual PS5 rumor that he is talking about

lol imagine sacrificing ram for fucking vr,
6TB SSD
this is soo fake
I just can't see the logic in not only splitting in a 8/8 config but also why Sony would choose to have two memory controllers on the APU and two RAM types.
Because he doesn't know dick and is talking out of his ass, he's an indie dev

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

8GBs for the OS lol. The only possibly use for that much ram would be a full desktop environment for the PS5, and that ain't happening.

Meh3D

I read the 6TB rumored one but what exactly is the other code name “Anaconda”?

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
you must be crazy because first. thats unnecessary. two. that would cost like 300 dollars alone.

So what's the target then around? The X already has 12, 16gb is barely a jump. They have to future proof these consoles somewhat for the next 7 years is the big thing, 24 might seem like a lot right now but will it be in 2026?

LordOfChaos

They are probably targeting 16 gb with 8 gb reserved for the OS

Knowing I'm just echoing everyone else, but using fully half of the RAM for the OS, and thus only improving by 2.5-3 gigabytes over this generation? That sounds very out there. If it's bound to be 16GB, I hope the OS doesn't take any more RAM than it already does, what it really feels wanting for is CPU, as the PS4 OS has been janky ever since they reduced the CPU allocation to one and a bit cores.

In fact, I hope this time the ARM subsystem is powerful enough to run the system UI and most system processes, leaving the main x86 cores with just enough OS on them to run all the libraries needed by the games.

Especially with increased focus on 4K, just 8GB for the unified VRAM and game memory sounds increasingly unbelievable.

It would be awesome if they PS4'ed it, all this mislead about not being able to have that much high performance RAM, and then it comes as a pleasant surprise when they showed 8 gigs of GDDR5 at the time. If they could hit 32 the generation will be more interesting imo.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I just heard some next gen leaks from my uncle's proctologist.

When the doctor insisted he pull down my uncle's pants, he said he heard from a paramedic who heard from a Sony employee on a stretcher that PS5 will release in 2020 with triple the amount of ram as PCs. He said the traditional console that always has less ram than a PC is going gunho and will have more ram. And all at GDDR6 too.

The doc told my uncle that his info is only rumours because he made it clear it was the info he heard at that very moment. So if anything changes, the doctor should not be criticized for old news.

The Sony guy on the stretcher also said he knows about the Halo game after Infinite. It's coming in 2024 on Xbox 5 and a trailer will come at E3 2023.

Last edited:

rəddəM

I want 2019 to be the closing year for PS4 and only in November 2020 the PS5.
All Sony need to do is keep the games coming and I don't believe for a second that the major exclusives and a few surprises aren't ready for 2019 release. I'm totally gonna bet TLoU2, Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima release this year.

What we actually know (or have and idea) about the PS5 so far:

- Devkits are indeed out there (duh)
- It's coming in the next few years (duh)
- It's probably gonna use Ryzen 2 or 3, and Vega architectures

And that's pretty much it. All of the rest is simply bullshit with nothing to back those claims up.

TLZ

Banned
the reddit leaker explaining that PSV = PS5 is confirmation enough that a total idiot is behind the post
What if our PS Vitas could transform into monster PS5s, that can double as cars or aircrafts for easier transportation and on the go gaming? All we have to do is connect our quality, top of the line PS4 mono headphones that came with our PS4s into our PS Vitas to give it life and say, "Vitabots, rollout!" (Or Vitacons if that's what you're into). All that for $500!

Who knew?!

TeamGhobad

Banned
The only way 6TB rumor is true is if Sony did a lot of market research and realized that gamers weren't buying games because they didnt have enough storage (its weird logic, but i personally delete any game i stop using), and they made a deal with a HDD manufacturer to get it supercheap. maybe it could be true..

Three

The only way 6TB rumor is true is if Sony did a lot of market research and realized that gamers weren't buying games because they didnt have enough storage (its weird logic, but i personally delete any game i stop using), and they made a deal with a HDD manufacturer to get it supercheap. maybe it could be true..
I think that is just a stupid typo and was meant to read 6Gbs SDD.

I picture no less than 16 gigs of ram at start of next gen mainly because i expect upgrades going forward like with x and pro. Hell x already has 12. If its true ps5 is gonna launch with psvr thats a bad move. U shouldnt bundle hardware with your console outside of a controller. U saw What happened with og xbox one

cdthree

I picture no less than 16 gigs of ram at start of next gen mainly because i expect upgrades going forward like with x and pro. Hell x already has 12. If its true ps5 is gonna launch with psvr thats a bad move. U shouldnt bundle hardware with your console outside of a controller. U saw What happened with og xbox one

I'm kinda ready to jump into headset gaming. I've been patiently waiting since they first came out with headset TVs in the late 90's thru Costco. If it's like the Oculus go and offered as a separate bundle, why not? As far as SSD drives in next gen consoles, it would be foolish not to offer them day one.

LordOfChaos

The latest 64-layer 3D NAND flash costs about 8 cents per GB fwiw. That's the NAND cost - not the package, not the SSD controller. Work backwards from that and...Even a fantastic razor margin deal makes that way too expensive for a console launching next year for 6TB.

Imo, best compromise for next gen: Put 128GB of NAND on the motherboard, and an ordinary upgradable HDD, and have an automatic caching solution between them. Then the user can upgrade the bulk storage without losing the NAND.

I think that post was full of it. Barely enough knowledge to sound barely plausible. Having 16GB of RAM but only 8 dedicated to games, for an only 2.5-3GB improvement from this gen, would be another crazy idea, when the X already has more for games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom