• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sams Report: Surface Janus, PS5 Specs, and Xbox Storage

thelastword

Banned
32 GB ram is more like it..….Now we're talking, so this may be a similar story to 4-8 on PS4, 16-32 on PS5, but 32 was always the figure I suggested or even more...

8Gb for the OS is not out of the ordinary.....The PS4 uses 2.5-3, it's a new gen, you need more memory for everything...…..I mean PS4, even added 1Gb DDR3 on PRO to keep/swap programs in memory......More memory is good, especially at 4k.....

Pimpbaa

32 GB ram is more like it..….Now we're talking, so this may be a similar story to 4-8 on PS4, 16-32 on PS5, but 32 was always the figure I suggested or even more...

8Gb for the OS is not out of the ordinary.....The PS4 uses 2.5-3, it's a new gen, you need more memory for everything...…..I mean PS4, even added 1Gb DDR3 on PRO to keep/swap programs in memory......More memory is good, especially at 4k.....

Your saying a typical streamlined OS for a game console that is meant for fixed hardware is going to need more memory than Windows 10? Just because it has more powerful hardware? Unless Sony plans to have a fully featured Windows like desktop or the OS is horribly optimized and bloated, there is no way the PS5 or any next gen console will need that for it's OS. It would just be grossly wasteful.

thelastword

Banned
Your saying a typical streamlined OS for a game console that is meant for fixed hardware is going to need more memory than Windows 10? Just because it has more powerful hardware? Unless Sony plans to have a fully featured Windows like desktop or the OS is horribly optimized and bloated, there is no way the PS5 or any next gen console will need that for it's OS. It would just be grossly wasteful.
You don't know what features are going to be offered or pushed next gen on consoles...….You can't judge what's standard now as a litmus test for tomorrow.....

In any case, it's best to allocate more than less, if you don't need all that memory after two years, you start to release some of it to the devs, but you never know what features people will demand and how much memory such features will require......I for-see consoles keeping more applications in memory beyond the running game, much more, just as is done with phones etc.....

Game+Browser+Camera app (skype)+Netflix+Twitch or streaming app+ more........I think that's where we're heading...We also need the OS or our games to lag less when we bring up the OS mid-game...There could be many improvements and advancements from the current standard...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Then you should have a different approach. General OS and Game OS, different CPU’s and memory pools for both (Ryzen and GDDR6 / HBM3 for Game OS, multi core ARM SoC +DDR4 for General OS): Game OS runs games and performance critical OS services for games.

Evilms

Banned
When you look at this table closely, it's hard to say which of the two manufacturers will offer the most powerful console on the next generation.

b84d57101953dde49f98b135c289ddb120181112102328.png

Pimpbaa

You don't know what features are going to be offered or pushed next gen on consoles

Whatever those features would be, it will still require far less resources than a general purpose OS like Windows 10 meant to run on very deverse hardware. Gaming PCs that have tons of shit running in the background in Windows that is utterly useless for gaming, even with Chrome open with a few tabs you are still going to using far less than 8GBs of ram for non gaming tasks. I can guarantee you that there will be no non gaming features on next gen consoles that will need 8GBs. Looks at games sizes and their ram requirements vs non gaming apps across all devices. Apps need a fraction of the resources and that hasn’t changed much. Oh and OS functions will be more snappier on next gen consoles, not because of more ram but because of far less shitty CPU cores.

Dabaus

Banned
"Leak" is obviously fake. How would he know what sony's pricing structure, launch date, and other third party software be?

Top Bottom