• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The shady deeds in video game history?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
So, I was thinking.. What shady deeds have happened that we know of? I'm not talking about EA ripping people of with NFS:C, more like what Nintendo did in Europe during the 90's (the cartel) or bribery, "secret" deals and suchs.

itsinmyveins

_leech_ said:
Nintendo in the 80s was brutal. Screwing 3rd parties, handcuffing retailers...

Any examples? Of course I've heard of Nintendos doings, but besides the cartel in EU, I'm not familiar with any particular thing in detail.

EDIT:

darscot said:
Nintendo Tetris. Basically the entire history of Nintendo's rise from a trading card company.

That one too, of course. It's a pretty famous story after all :)

Nintendo was sued for anti-trust violations.
The European Commission has imposed a total fine of €167.8 million on Japanese games company Nintendo and seven of its official distributors in Europe for "colluding to maintain" artificially high price differences in the EU between 1991 and 1998. Nintendo itself has been fined €149 million.
Atari had some shaddy deals with Driv3r as well.
ItsInMyVeins said:
Any examples? Of course I've heard of Nintendos doings, but besides the cartel in EU, I'm not familiar with any particular thing in detail.

EDIT:

That one too, of course. It's a pretty famous story after all :)
It's said Nintendo prohibited 3rd partys from making games to other consoles.

Philia

Terranimga! Darn it. Why did we get Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia but Not Terranimga? :\

I don't know why we got screwed there... I doubt its shady but its screwy! :lol

terranigma1sr3.jpg

bdoughty

Banned
NFL & EA denying that there were talks about an exclusive after the Sports Business Journal reported on it. Then months later, lookie what we have here, an exclusive.

See they had to hold the horses on the exclusive since the NFL still had existing contracts wtih the other publishers.

Deny Deny Deny, until you can legally say that you are going to screw the customer.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
bdoughty said:
NFL & EA denying that there were talks about an exclusive after the Sports Business Journal reported on it. Then months later, lookie what we have here, an exclusive.

See they had to hold the horses on the exclusive since the NFL still had existing contracts wtih the other publishers.

Deny Deny Deny, until you can legally say that you are going to screw the customer.

What did you expect them to say?

"LOL yeah, we're talking about it"

Of course they deny. Everyone, EVERY business, government official, PR rep... everyone denies until its official.

I think the Nintendo bastardness culminated in them screwing over Sony at the last second before E3. They were THE example of ruthlessly arrogant. It's why I hated them as a company back then. Glad they've turned around... I guess that's what being pushed to the edge of relevance does to you.

Philia said:
Terranimga! Darn it. Why did we get Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia but Not Terranimga? :\

I don't know why we got screwed there... I doubt its shady but its screwy! :lol

terranigma1sr3.jpg

Enix had just closed their US operations for the time being. Which also meant no DQ for us!

Tobor

EA's NFL exclusivity, EA refusing to support Dreamcast, EA refusing to work with MS on Xbox Live until properly moneyhatted, EA doing anything EA does on a regular basis..... There is a trend here somewhere.

itsinmyveins

Wow. This thread is beginning to look like n-fanboys very own kryptonite :D

I guess Yamauchi's got a pretty hefty bunch o' skeletons in the closet. If these are the things that came out I wonder how many other shady deeds that still are unknown.

But come on, Kutaragi's gotta have som dirt under his nails too? That guy looks like an evil mastermind. Microsoft we all know from the computer industry, where they pretty much ****ed everybody over and over, but what about their doings when it comes to XB?

itsinmyveins

Kabouter said:
Thread needs more wrecked Enzo's.

Ferrari%20Enzo%20Stefan%20Eriksson%20Gizmondo.jpg

Stefaneriksson_mugshot.jpg

"Whoops"

_leech_ said:
Kuatragi just says stupid things, he hasn't actually done anything "evil".

Well, I'm pretty sure he and Kaz regulary drinks the blood of virgins during their heathen rites, where they try to condemn NDS all the way to hell. But you might be right, though :D

Frenck

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:

I guess Yamauchi's got a pretty hefty bunch o' skeletons in the closet. If these are the things that came out I wonder how many other shady deeds that still are unknown.

But come on, Kutaragi's gotta have som dirt under his nails too? That guy looks like an evil mastermind. Microsoft we all know from the computer industry, where they pretty much ****ed everybody over and over, but what about their doings when it comes to XB?

One could argue that the Xbox itself is a shady deed:D

-Sony killing Lik-Sang
-Sony (indirectly) killing Working Designs
-SCEA denying a shitload of nifty 2D games for American distribution.

ItsInMyVeins said:

Eh, I'm sure there are plenty of under-the-table deals Sony has made, but today's business climate in the video game industry is a lot different. It's harder to get away with the kind of shit Nintendo used to pull. Kutaragi is mainly "an evil mastermind" in other ways, such as working with other Sony execs to try to make the company into a monopoly of people's living rooms. Their ultimate goal is to tie in movie players, TVs, music players, computers, personal electronics, whatever you can think of. Good result for them, of course, but it would be horrible for consumer choice.

Ranger X

- Money hats on journalists
- Dealing bugs and submissions with money
- Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft forcing release dates even if game not ready
- Driver 3
- EA on a daily basis.

:p

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
HyperZone<3 said:
-Sony killing Lik-Sang
-Sony (indirectly) killing Working Designs
-SCEA denying a shitload of nifty 2D games for American distribution.
wasn't that denied though? I always hear this from whiny pissheads, never someone who had their game denied.

LiveWire

Sony stabbing Nintendo in the back (after Nintendo balked at Sony's CD royalty demands) and turning SNES CD-ROM into PSX.

Jim Whims (SCEA) announcing a PS1 price drop during an E3 (96?) CEO roundtable (where a gentleman's agreement not to use the event as an opportunity to make announcements was supposed to be in effect). Howard Lincoln was furious afterwards.

The entire ESRB rating process. :lol

The mob used to control a lot of video game arcade-type places, so if you wanted your machines in places where people would play them, you had to work with some shady characters.

Midway in particular was known for having mob connections.

Tain

Sega not publishing VOOT in the US, even if Activision did a better job than Sega would've, and Microsoft not bringing Phantom Dust over.

wasn't that denied though? I always hear this from whiny pissheads, never someone who had their game denied.

I don't know if it was either confirmed or denied. I'm pretty curious.

KingJ2002

Brobzoid said:

most of SNKP titles were denied because they didnt look like guilty gear x2

Brobzoid said:
never read any interviews from SNK, Working Designs? Why is it that so many games hit Europe and Japan but not here (Suikoden I & II, countless PS2 shooters and fighters)How about from the even smaller publishers. I know that XS games was denied a liscence to publish ESPgaluda in America.

WE COULD HAVE HAD CAVE SHOOTERS IN AMERICA!

**** SCEA.

Skenzin

Banned
Already said but Nintendo of the 80's and early 90's was very brutal. 3rd parties weren't allowed to make games on any console. Peripheral makers were constantly sued. etc.

MS switching out Intel for AMD on the xbox1. Nvidia milking MS over the xbox gpu.

HyperZone<3 said:
I know that XS games was denied a liscence to publish ESPgaluda in America.

WE COULD HAVE HAD CAVE SHOOTERS IN AMERICA!

**** SCEA.
I saw that one in a shop here guess SCEE is a bit more liberal or doesn't care.

Brobzoid

KingJ2002 said:
most of SNKP titles were denied because they didnt look like guilty gear x2

so, shit 2D with assets from the early '90s got shafted while nice looking 2D got the greenlight? I don't see a problem with that.

edit: SCEE can't control what games come out on PS2 because of European laws. but I've had serious problems finding some of these more obscure SNK fighters and Cave shooters etc. Retailers didn't want them.

Brobzoid said:
so, shit 2D with assets from the early '90s got shafted while nice looking 2D got the greenlight? I don't see a problem with that.
So you'd rather not have Metal Slug 3 or Samurai Showdown 5 on American PS2's?
You're digging a hole here buddy.

Brobzoid

HyperZone<3 said:
So you'd rather not have Metal Slug 3 or Samurai Showdown 5 on American PS2's?
You're digging a hole here buddy.

my point, which I never really made, was that just because the shitty 2D never got green-light doesn't make it right to say SCEA hated 2D.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
By far the most harmful, if entirely economic and not at all evil, thing to happen to this industry is the standard practice of licensing development kits for extotive prices. No unsigned developer can make a game for a console system because no unsigned developer can afford the ridiculous cost of doing business with any of the major hardware manufacturers. And yes, there are arguments to be made in favor of paying for them (compensation for the development of libraries, tech support for the dev kit and tools, etc). But I'd rather have open standards that lead to open-source, community lead tool projects rather than paying up the wazoo for proprietary tools for which there are no alternatives from the company themselves.

And if you want genuine evil, what about EA's previous (supposedly, at least) practice of working employees to death with terrible hours with no overtime or opportunity for paid time off?

Sega screwing over its userbase by moving all of its in-development Dreamcast titles over to the Xbox. I've had an attitude of **** Sega since then, they got what was coming to them.

Top Bottom