• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The shady deeds in video game history?

bumpkin

How 'bout Sony showing the "Sixaxis" and saying, "wow, what an incredible innovation" at their press conference last E3. If I were there, I would've walked out holding my middle finger up behind me as I left.

I Am Error said:
I don't know, the Atari and NES era were pretty awesome times.

untill we have a state where hardware is standard and the company in charge has no say in the content or anything of the like, a monopoly would be bad.

edit: kinda like dvd's I guess........ alota different brands, all play the same stuff thing, with a few added optional bells and whistles, focus is on the actual movies not on whats running them, or who made whats running them.

Luckett_X

Banned
Zen said:
I remember reading an interview with Yuji Naka during an E3 around the time of Sonic Heroes where he was suprisingly questioned directly about the circumstances of the 'defection'.

Amazingly he was apparently very dismissive and even put the guy down a bit. "After we completed Sonic and Knuckles we really had nothing for him to do, he stayed around the company for a bit but we had no project that his talents were needed for, so we eventually let him go"

(No projects that his talent could be used for = total bullshit)

Apparently there was a bit of an awkward silence that followed.

Yeah, thats what I was referring to. Absolutely incredible, and pretty much the best reason you can give why Sonic games have been sub-par and now utterly shitty after Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Without Ohshima, Naka couldn't do a new NiGHTS because they lacked his creative flair, and without Yasuhara their level designs in 3d Sonics absolutely stank while Naughty Dog surged on with him making so top quality 3d platformers. Always irks me to this day when Naka gets credited as "Creator of Sonic the Hedgehog", when he really, really wasn't.

shuri

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Nintendo was also guilty of pressuring/bullying retailers and of "staggering" releases.

For instance Super Mario Bros. 3 came out in Japan in late 1988, but Nintendo would not release it in North America until spring 1990, because they wanted other titles to sell in the interim.

This caused an explosion of black market Mario 3 cartridges and the Japanese (yellow cart) version to show in North America.
!!!!!!

This explains why I remember renting it when I was a kid, NOBODY would believe me when I would say that I rented Mario 3 waaaay before the wizard came out. I actually discovered the flute warp in the first castle by accident, nobody would BELIEVE ME! AAAAAAH 20 years later THE TRUTH IS OUT. I swear to god, I was recently thinking that the memories of me renting mario3 were implanted in my head, total recall style, by the russians!

I'm printing this thread and then i'm going to retrace all those kids from grade school who never believe me.

JUSTICE WILL BE DONE

LiveWire

Marathon said:
Back in the SNES era there was a medium size pc company I was working at that made their first console game for Nintendo's new system. The team worked hard to get the game ready for lot check. They were able to get the game sent off to Nintendo with plenty of time to make it through final testing and reach store shelves for the holiday sales season.

While waiting to get word back on pass/fail for the GM, the company learned that Nintendo decided to sit on the game and withhold final approval until after the new year. The game apparently was felt to be competing too closely with one of Nintendo's own holiday releases.

The pc company was so bitter about the incident that they have never done another console title again.

Is this company still around? What game was it? Very interesting.....

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Luckett_X said:
Yeah, thats what I was referring to. Absolutely incredible, and pretty much the best reason you can give why Sonic games have been sub-par and now utterly shitty after Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Without Ohshima, Naka couldn't do a new NiGHTS because they lacked his creative flair, and without Yasuhara their level designs in 3d Sonics absolutely stank while Naughty Dog surged on with him making so top quality 3d platformers. Always irks me to this day when Naka gets credited as "Creator of Sonic the Hedgehog", when he really, really wasn't.

Yeah, I've heard some stories about Yuji Naka :/

It'd be great if we had some more in-depth stories though :)

Top Bottom