• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Shining (Movie, first time watching it, and crazy theories)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setre

I watched The Shining for the first time last night, mostly because it was Halloween but also because of this thread. When I watch a movie I don’t try to analyze everything and see the deeper meaning behind it, I simply watch it for what’s presented to me. So to me The Shining was about a haunted hotel who makes an already terrible guy try to kill his family. However I’d heard of a documentary on Netflix called Room 237, which was about different theories Stanley Kubrick was trying to present with The Shining. I only watched about half of Room 237 before deciding I’d had enough and went to bed.

I woke up this morning still thinking about The Shining and some of the stuff I’d heard in Room 237 and it got me thinking. Now like I said after watching the movie originally I simply took it as a haunted hotel but one of the people in 237 brought up that everything in the movie can be given a reasonable explanation. The only thing that couldn’t, in his opinion, was the door to the storage room being opened, but then he says it could have been Danny who did it. I liked this theory so I started to explain away everything with a reasonable explanation.

Everything time Jack sees a ghost it’s him simply going more and more insane with cabin fever. Danny has grown up in an abusive household and already has an imaginary friend, it’s not that far of a stretch that he’d start seeing “ghosts”. When the manager of the hotel tells Jack about Charles Grady he mentions that his wife loves stories like that and he’d planned to tell it to her. While we never see it on screen it doesn’t mean that Jack didn’t tell Wendy, either with Danny present or him eavesdropping. When Wendy sees her ghosts it can be explained away as being in a very high stress and frightening situation, after all her husband has been trying to kill her. Once again Jack could have told her about Charles Grady and while she’s running through the hotel in that high stress/frightening situation her mind finally breaks.

Another good argument for the hotel not actually being haunted is room 237 and Danny. We know Jack dislocated Danny’s shoulder sometime before the film starts. There’s no other evidence to support Jack being physically abusive to either Danny or Wendy other than that but he’s obviously verbally and mentally abusive. But then there’s the Playgirl magazine at the beginning of the film, which hints at a more sinister abuse between Danny and Jack. There’s no other evidence in the film to support this but why have Jack reading a Playgirl magazine then? While Danny is playing with his toys Jack rolls the ball to him to get his attention, Danny wanders into room 237 where Jack is waiting, and then the abuse happens. Something terrible obviously happened in that room to Danny because for the rest of the film, until the maze, Danny is gone mentally and replaced by Tony.

Another piece of “evidence” to support this is that when Jack is goes back to investigate room 237 he sees the woman in the tub. This is him projecting what he just did to Danny, whether it was sexual or simply physical abuse. As Jack and the woman continue to kiss she eventually turns into an old hag which represents Jack’s repulsion at what he’s just done to his son.

Where this theory breaks down is the shining. You can explain away Danny’s premonitions being that he’s from an abusive family and his seeing things are an active imagination. You can’t explain away Dick talking to Danny about ice cream in his head, the conversation they have about the shining, and Dick’s ability to hear Danny calling for help. There’s no reason for Dick to leave Florida and go all the way back to the Overlook simply because no one picked up at the hotel. He’s the cook for fuck’s sake. If anyone else has a way of explaining away the shining I’d love to hear it.

The other theory I liked and thought about was the reincarnation one. This has been a long enough post already though.

So for those who have seen The Shining what are your theories? Is it simply a haunted hotel (even after all the shit I just typed I still like this one), was it Jack the entire time, or are the reincarnated souls doomed to forever repeat the same mistakes over and over until one can break the cycle?

Moppeh

Banned
To me, it's just a haunted hotel. I like The Shining a lot, but it is one of my least favorite Kubrick films, and so I'm not really as attentive or invested in it as much as 2001, or ACO. Also, after seeing Room 237, I can't mull over different interpretations without feeling like an idiot, because I start to associate myself with those batshit crazy theorists from Room 237.

It's a great film and there is definitely plenty of stuff going on there, but there are just other films I prefer to spend time thinking about, so I just stick with what the film presents to me.

zeemumu

I feel like the debate for this movie was more about whether the building itself was an evil entity that was corrupting the guests, or if the ghosts themselves were the evil presence and not the building. Jack's descent into madness is a combination of his own problems and the ghosts casually pushing him over the edge.

And I thought that the bathtub scene was meant to reflect that Jack would have been willing to cheat on his wife.

Zhengi

It's been forever since I've seen the movie. I like to think of it as Jack going insane and tries to go off trying to kill his family. There is a bit of a supernatural element to the movie as well that perhaps Danny could perceive. Maybe he has a bit of psychic power and is able to see them. Jack and Willy
I always forget his name, so I just like to think of him as Graveskeeper Willy from Treehouse of Horror V
have a connection with Danny and that's why they are able to perceive some of those supernatural elements.

I should really give this movie a rewatch. Maybe I'll get my girl to watch it with me since she hates horror movies. Hmm...

Danny has grown up in an abusive household and already has an imaginary friend, it’s not that far of a stretch that he’d start seeing “ghosts”.

It's not part of the film's canon, but
Danny's "imaginary friend" Tony is an older version of himself; Danny's first name is Anthony.

Not sure how well known this is, but apparently the original ending of the film had Wendy and Danny recovering at a hospital while simultaneously revealing that police never found "Jack's" body at the hotel... Which would have then led into the final, famous shot of Jack in the old picture.

It's kind of ambiguous, but I always liked the thought that Jack never existed in the first place, and that Wendy and Danny were always alone and just suffering from a shared delusion due to cabin fever. Because the final shot is just too bizarre otherwise.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It's kind of ambiguous, but I always liked the thought that Jack never existed in the first place, and that Wendy and Danny were always alone and just suffering from a shared delusion due to cabin fever. Because the final shot is just too bizarre otherwise.

I think Jack being imaginary introduces way more bizarre than it takes away.

Not sure how well known this is, but apparently the original ending of the film had Wendy and Danny recovering at a hospital while simultaneously revealing that police never found "Jack's" body at the hotel... Which would have then led into the final, famous shot of Jack in the old picture.

WTF? This can never work because Jack exists in many contexts apart from the wife and son's.

Kubrick actually talked about this in interviews. He said that he intended for the audience to think that everything was in Jack's mind, up until the point that the food storage room is unlocked by the ghosts. At that point, the ghosts are confirmed to be real.

Try not to read too much into the Room 237 stuff. None of it is particularly supported by anything that happens in the actual film.

Haunted hotel combines with a man's personal demons to drive him insane.

Just like the book it was based on, difference being that the movie doesn't really show a gradual decline into madness like the book does.

Danny's "imaginary friend" Tony is an older version of himself; Danny's first name is Anthony.

Yeah it kinda blew my mind reading years later after having seen the movie that in the book Tony is supposed to be Dannys future self telepathically communicating with him, trying to warn him of the things going on, trying to prevent tragedy etc. Whether this is something Kubrick cared about communicating is probably irrelevant, but definitely puts a weird spin on things, and I think explains the whole stuck in a loop/final shot aspect more.

I feel like the debate for this movie was more about whether the building itself was an evil entity that was corrupting the guests, or if the ghosts themselves were the evil presence and not the building. Jack's descent into madness is a combination of his own problems and the ghosts casually pushing him over the edge.

And I thought that the bathtub scene was meant to reflect that Jack would have been willing to cheat on his wife.

The idea of the building as an entity unto itself was something I picked up on in the past few years. The idea of the hotel as being as much a central character as the cast gives the whole thing a much more surreal and sinister feeling. I mean it makes sense in context with the guy giving them the tour of the grounds saying it was built on an Indian burial ground. The whole place was just a conduit for the paranormal.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

When I first watched the movie I assumed the hotel 'absorbed' Jack hence his appearance in the photo.

When I first watched the movie I assumed the hotel 'absorbed' Jack hence his appearance in the photo.
Mhm, I thought so too. I thought it absorbed Grady too since the one that was the server in the past had a different first name than the one that murdered his family before Jack moved in.

Setre

After watching the movie I read the synopsis of The Shining (the book), and Doctor Sleep, on a Stephen King wiki so I knew that. Would have been cool had Kubrick somehow put that into the film.

That theory is also broken by the door opening itself when Jack is locked in the food storage room.

Danny could have done it, it would explain how he knew Jack was coming to kill them. As far as we know Wendy was asleep for a while after locking Jack up and not paying attention to what Danny was doing.

That's actually really cool. I mean we do see Wendy doing all the work around the hotel that Jack is supposed to be doing. She cooks the meals, she checks on the boiler room (I think that's what it was), and she calls the police on the radio to find out why the phones are dead. Still as someone else posted there are to many instances of other people seeing and interactive with Jack.

zomaha

Would you mind summarizing his thesis? I don't wanna dive into all that text if it just turns out to be some crazy 'Kubrick was confessing to having faked the moon landing' stuff...

no, Ager's analysis is much better than the Room 237 crap.

Kubrick wove several "hidden" themes into the movie. The most obvious one is the white man's murder of native americans during America's founding. Jack represents the white man while his family (especially his wife) represents the native americans. There are a ton of clues to support this (Rob goes into them in detail).

The other major theme is parental abuse, and Ager even goes so far as to suggest maybe the abuse was sexual in nature. Again, he goes into detail with a lot of clues that support this idea, the biggest one being a Playgirl magazine that Jack is reading at the beginning of the movie before his interview. Not only is Jack reading a Playgirl magazine, but that particular issue had an article in it about incest between parents and their children.

There is other stuff, like how Kubrick intentionally created the hotel to have no continuity and whatnot. It's great stuff and, imo, none of it ever really goes too far overboard. Definitely read it. Then read his other Kubrick analyses as well.

no, Ager's analysis is much better than the Room 237 crap.

Kubrick wove several "hidden" themes into the movie. The most obvious one is the white man's murder of native americans during America's founding. Jack represents the white man while his family (especially his wife) represents the native americans. There are a ton of clues to support this (Rob goes into them in detail).

The other major theme is parental abuse, and Ager even goes so far as to suggest maybe the abuse was sexual in nature. Again, he goes into detail with a lot of clues that support this idea, the biggest one being a Playgirl magazine that Jack is reading at the beginning of the movie before his interview. Not only is Jack reading a Playgirl magazine, but that particular issue had an article in it about incest between parents and their children.

There is other stuff, like how Kubrick intentionally created the hotel to have no continuity and whatnot. It's great stuff and, imo, none of it ever really goes too far overboard. Definitely read it. Then read his other Kubrick analyses as well.

Cool. They covered that stuff in Room 237 didn't they, before all the real super crazy theories.

inm8num2

There's only one definitive explanation of The Shining:

HdjViyT.jpg

Corpsepyre

Banned
Why can't it be just a horror movie? A GREAT horror movie, no less? That documentary, Room 237, was one horrendous piece of shit if there ever was one, with some incredibly ridiculous 'theories' spun out of assholes. Seriously, I've seen this movie several times, and it's hit me as a wonderful horror movie with excellent performances, and that's where I stop.

Why can't it be just a horror movie? A GREAT horror movie, no less? That documentary, Room 237, was one horrendous piece of shit if there ever was one, with some incredibly ridiculous 'theories' spun out of assholes. Seriously, I've seen this movie several times, and it's hit me as a wonderful horror movie with excellent performances, and that's where I stop.

Oh cmon, don't tell me Danny's NASA sweater didn't make you at least ponder the possibility Kubrick shot the moon landings? It's all right there!!!

Great movie, and I must watch that doc one day. Also, just finished Last Year and Mareinbad yesterday and man if Kubrick didn't steal some shit from that film I would be shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom