• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Smiths vs. The Cure (Battle for synth-pop supremacy!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm bored. I have nothing better to do, so I made this thread. Vote for your favorite, kids.

+1 for The Smiths.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
The Smiths... ..synth-pop????

Clean your ears out boy!

White Man

Apples and oranges. The Smiths weren't a synth band. But they are my favorite of the two.

EDIT: There is no teetering! The Smiths don't fall into synth pop. That was their schtick. In the day of 80s synth excess, they were a rock band.

calder

I'm not going to dignify this vs with an answer.

But here's a hint: I wouldn't be voting for Fat Bob.

AlphaSnake

The Smiths are going for the sweep! This thread's blowing up quick. WOO!

Ryck

AlphaSnake said:
The Smiths are going for the sweep! This thread's blowing up quick. WOO!
The Smiths never ever ever ever used a synth .........and don't even try to say "A Rush and a push" becasue it wasn't a synth.....

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'll step up, I suppose.

I was never able to get into the Smiths. Not to say that I'm a huge fan of the Cure, but I've not yet heard anything by the Smiths that I like*

*disclaimer: I've not really made an active effort to try. The most I've heard is Morrissey's new album, which I do love. So my choice could simply be due to having heard a handful of bad songs and being lazy.

Ryck

Anyway...... after all is said and done I love both bands but....The smiths are just it for me always have been always will be and although I do love the cure IMO they don't even come close.....even Morrissey comes on on top over the cure...well for me anyway

AlphaSnake

Ryck said:
The Smiths never ever ever ever used a synth .........and don't even try to say "A Rush and a push" becasue it wasn't a synth.....

Alright, fine. Can we settle on new-wave? (BTW: I was going to argue "How Soon Is Now", but forget it :p)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Turn up tomorrow for Alphasnakes next round:

Battle of The Norwegian Death Metal Bands, featuring:

Icelands "The Sugarcubes" versus Belgiums "Nitzer Ebb"

:p

AlphaSnake

tt_deeb said:
Morrissey is my fucking idol. By the way being celibate means you can still masturbate right?

Negative. No sexual stimulation of ANY kind.

Edit: Hahaha @ Freeburn.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
AlphaSnake said:
Alright, fine. Can we settle on new-wave? (BTW: I was going to argue "How Soon Is Now", but forget it :p)

Good call, that sound was made by Johnny Marr bashing his guitar strings with a dinner knife :p

(True, BTW)

:)

These are two bands I barely know, but I hear so much about them that I want to buy some of their material. So...

What is THE best Smiths and Cure album to buy?

AlphaSnake

Idle Will Kill said:
These are two bands I barely know, but I hear so much about them that I want to buy some of their material. So...

What is THE best Smiths and Cure album to buy?

The Cure: Disintegration
The Smiths: Queen Is Dead

tt_deeb

Freeburn said:
Turn up tomorrow for Alphasnakes next round:

Battle of The Norwegian Death Metal Bands, featuring:

Icelands "The Sugarcubes" versus Belgiums "Nitzer Ebb"

:p

OMG! Teh Sugarcubes rock. Bjork can growl like animal. \m/ I was in the pit and my finger got busted and now its crooked. /m/

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
The Queen is Dead, or Hatful of Hollow, for The Smiths

And yes, definitely Disintegration for The Cure.

Ryck

A good Smiths album???

depends on your mood

Sad: hatful of hollow

Angry: Strangeways here we come

Happy: Meat is Murder

Suicidal: The queen is dead

In different: Self titled

Oh and how soon is now is guitar with delay and john porter (producer) did the slide (also guitar)

IMO: although not my personmal fav I do regard The queen is dead to be their best work

White Man

The Smiths aren't new wave. They sort of signalled the death knell of new wave. New wave wasn't allowed to be as outrageously vocally pretentious as The Smiths.

The Cure I've always considered more post-punk, because their material recorded during the new wave years (circa 78 to 82) isn't going for that typically shiny and dancey new wave sound.

I know it's a mostly incorrect viewpoint but I've always used the rule of thumb: If it's British and from the late 70s, early 80s, it's probably post-punk. If it's from the US in the same time period, it's probably new wave. There's a ton of exceptions (Elvis Costello was new wave. Television was post-punk, etc. . .), but it works for me.

tt_deeb

Idle Will Kill said:
What do you guys think of the new Cure album? I hear a lot of people panning it.

I liked it, it was pretty good. A little lame in parts but I'm surprised it was overall well done. Though it's no "You Are The Quarry"

4/5 Stars

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
The only things these two have in common is that

1)They both write songs about doom and gloom

2)They were both immensly popular in the 80s

3)They're both two of my favorite bands of all time

So Alpha...I couldn't possibly answer this question. Asking me a question like this is like asking which do I like better....getting pussy or getting my dick sucked.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the smiths were a guitar band.

and television couldn't have been post punk - their only great album came out in '77, and they broke up in '78.

i've never liked the cure, and i shall persist in not liking the cure. joy division on quaaludes. at best.

White Man

Television is definitely post-punk. Would you call them punk rock? They were just one of the trailblazing, first post-punk bands, like JD. And don't sell short Adventure. It's a pretty awesome record once you let yourself realize that nothing will ever be as good as Marquee Moon.

EDIT: Alright, the Television ALBUMS are definitely post-punk. As a live band, they may have been totally punk, since it's been brought to my attention that they were around long before they recorded.

drohne

i've tried to like adventure many, many times and can't. there are some well-crafted songs on there, but it's just such a depressing retreat from marquee moon's ambition and grandeur. and then there are several songs that fall totally flat as well.

i have a hard time calling television post punk simply because, well, the chronology doesn't work. that's what "post" implies, chronology. they're one of the quintessential new york punk bands, but you're right, their music has never been meaningfully punk at all. i guess i could call them "spiritually post punk," but the language center of my brain rebels. "new wave" is a terribly vague term (apologies for the bilingual pun), but i find it less problematic than "post punk." not least because you can use it to corral in a lot of "punk" bands that weren't so punk.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
AlphaSnake said:
Kiss Me, Kiss Me.

It's a shame people around the world know the song but don't know the album it came from or how JLH is actually the weakest track on such a brilliant record.

nitewulf

yes, they are pretty different, unless you wanna put them in the general broad category of brit pop. i like the smiths a lot, but i gotta go with the cure.

shoplifter

isamu said:
It's a shame people around the world know the song but don't know the album it came from or how JLH is actually the weakest track on such a brilliant record.

What's new, Britney Spears thought "I Love Rock and Roll" was a Pat Benatar song.

protip: it's not a Joan Jett original either

White Man

I prefer to call Television 'art rock,' but that's about as meaningless as musical terms get. It lets me liken them to bands like Fugazi and Sonic Youth, though.

But if Television started in the early 70s, and only recorded their first album in 77, it's safe to say that they lived through the entire New York punk movement. I don't think it's much of a corruption of the term to say that post-punk could exist in 1977. Marquee Moon is a masterpiece of atmosphere, which I think is what seperates post-punk from both new wave and punk. I also can't consider Television punk because it's pretty indulgent music, from a guitar POV.

I like doing the cover art comparison between Marquee Moon and Adventure, though:

B0000AI45P.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Ugly drug-addled looking people.

B0000AI45Q.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Ugly people with critical acclaim

Those two covers are a good indication of the VISUAL differences between punk and new wave. Heh.

nitewulf

fart said:
sonic youth is noise rock dude
its odd, cause all these categories sorta confuse me. way back when i first listened to sonic youth, i thought to myself, this is what i'd call "noise rock" w/o even realizing that such a genre existed.
same goes for at the drive in, mars volta or coheed and cambria, though i suppose they are emo. frankly, i'd call them all progressive rock or progressive modern rock bands, depending on chronology.
then of course, some metalhead was telling me how dream theater and symphony x are progressive rock.
so its all very confusing.

White Man

fart said:
sonic youth is noise rock dude

and how is fugazi art rock? what are you smoking man

Sonic Youth is too all over the map to be considered just noise rock.

Fugazi is several degrees of musicianship and song construction ahead of any other hardcore/post-hardocre band. The Argument amazes me to this day, and it's a stretch to call that hardcore or post-hardcore. It's a pretty quiet album by Fugazi standards.

But like I said, 'art rock' is totally meaningless. I just use it to desrcibe bands that are guitar based and can't be shoehorned into any other rock sub-genres.

EDIT: All labeling is quite useless. It's just a fun past-time for music geeks to have heated conversations about. I think I might start a Lou Reed vs. Wu-Tang topic. . .

nitewulf

a better comparison would be the smiths or aztec camera, at least style wise. although aztec camera only has one good album, and what a godly album it is. the smiths would win, but at least it would be a more valid comparison.

drohne

but if television are post-punk, then who's new york punk? patti smith, the voidoids, and the heartbreakers? television predates all of those bands. there's the ramones, obviously, but new york punk can't be reduced to the ramones and their inheritors.

White Man

You make a good point. But I do think all those bands you listed are less refined then Television (Patti Smith is debatable).

Anyway, it's time to go see Burning Brides. See ya later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom