• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Snack World: Trejarers Discussion Thread | Level-5 coming for your money... again

I'm kind of curious about how they deal with the NFC, you can only scan the Jara one time and you get something related to that item (quest, item, etc) and then it's done? If another user scan it too? Does he get the same of something else? Or nothing at all?
It's just to understand if each Jara once scanned is uniquely registered online, because if not I can't wrap my head around some of the appeal.

wait... this is coming out, like, soon?

Dragon Quest is coming out real soon. Who the hell schedules their release date to be competitive with that?

kubus

I'm kind of curious about how they deal with the NFC, you can only scan the Jara one time and you get something related to that item (quest, item, etc) and then it's done? If another user scan it too? Does he get the same of something else? Or nothing at all?
It's just to understand if each Jara once scanned is uniquely registered online, because if not I can't wrap my head around some of the appeal.
Well, we know that the NFC chips can both read as well as write data, and that you can write data to the Jara by using it with a Fairypon, after which it will unlock new things when you scan it again in the game. So the Jara can be used more than once, but we don't know what the exact functions are and if you really need a Fairypon toy to get more out of your Jara.

Likewise we also don't know if you can lend out your Jara to someone else. Could be that by scanning it in, you register it to your game profile or something? But that would be really dickish, so maybe not.

wait... this is coming out, like, soon?

Dragon Quest is coming out real soon. Who the hell schedules their release date to be competitive with that?
Iirc the release date of Snack World was announced before the DQ11 release date, so it's bad luck for Level-5 I guess. Then again, these things aren't uncommon. July is when the summer vacation starts for most kids in Japan, so this month is usually very packed with game releases. There's also Splatoon 2, Hey! Pikmin and Ever Oasis coming out in July (and the month after that Monster Hunter XX for Switch). It's gonna be a really packed month(s) for Nintendo systems either way, but Dragon Quest XI will naturally eat the biggest slice of the cake.

takoyaki

Haven't really kept up with the game since announcement, very informative thread. Thanks kubus!

Level-5 know how to create a world filled with well-design characters and turn it into a cross-media thing.

I'm just skeptical about the gameplay since we haven't seen a lot of it yet. Loved everything about the Youkai Watch games except for the dull gameplay and never finished them because of it. Hope this game is more interesting to play and I'm there day one.

And cool that it's coming out on 2DS XL launch day in Japan.

kubus

Haven't really kept up with the game since announcement, very informative thread. Thanks kubus!

Level-5 know how to create a world filled with well-design characters and turn it into a cross-media thing.

I'm just skeptical about the gameplay since we haven't seen a lot of it yet. Loved everything about the Youkai Watch games except for the dull gameplay and never finished them because of it. Hope this game is more interesting to play and I'm there day one.

And cool that it's coming out on 2DS XL launch day in Japan.
Thanks, glad it was informative! :)

Yeah I trust Level-5 to make a charming game, but the lack of gameplay footage is a bit worrying. Thankfully they did show off a lot of gameplay at World Hobby Fair, and someone was kind enough to upload the footage on YouTube here (skip to around 6 minute mark).

Oh and we got confirmation that you can scan in Jara every day! Just the effects are still unclear, but good to know that these expensive toys don't become useless after you've used them once :p.

Ex-Psych

I'm going to reserve judgement but with the game and it media/anime push, this just feels like a disaster waiting to happen. Trying to recapture that Yokai Watch hype

I hope I'm wrong though and it turns out well.

takoyaki

Thanks, glad it was informative! :)

Yeah I trust Level-5 to make a charming game, but the lack of gameplay footage is a bit worrying. Thankfully they did show off a lot of gameplay at World Hobby Fair, and someone was kind enough to upload the footage on YouTube here (skip to around 6 minute mark).

Oh and we got confirmation that you can scan in Jara every day! Just the effects are still unclear, but good to know that these expensive toys don't become useless after you've used them once :p.

Thanks again, the gameplay footage actually looks pretty good.

Seems like you have direct control over you character during dungeon exploration, normal and boss fights. Looks like a kid-friendly Diablo with the Fantasy Life aesthetic, DQ9 multiplayer and the Youkai Watch cuteness & cross media empire. Could be fun if the quests are varied and they find the right balance for the Jara.

And that short animation when your character starts a quest and jumps out of the town gate is great :)

Hoping for a bit more info on multiplayer. I can handle if it's a separate mode to the actual campaign but I do hope it isn't similar to Yokai Watch 2's mp. We played a decent amount of that, but it left a lot to be desired.

Laplasakos

Nice work OP. After reading all the info, i am really interested in the game. I hope it turns out to be the next Youkai Watch for Level 5 or at least have a similar success because i really like what i am seeing!

ranmafan

Apparently the game's been delayed to August 10 for "final quality up + so players can play with peace of mind".

https://www.inside-games.jp/article/2017/06/26/108122.html (Famitsu does not allow direct link, so switched to an inside-games link)

Wasn't going to get it, but was interested in reviews and stuff.

Sucks a bit but is actually better for me. Coming out after dragon quest means I have a better chance of putting more time into it. So I don't mind waiting.

On a slightly off topic thing, I've started to notice that famitsu direct links have been working for me always for many months now. Maybe it's cause I'm in japan? But it used to not work before for me either until the past year. Now a days I have no trouble accessing direct link s to famitsu. Wonder if it's the same for others .

kubus

I really did not expect them to delay the game now we're so close to the release date and after they thoroughly demoed the game at World Hobby Fair, with ALL the promotional material mentioning the July 13th date.

Sounds like a last minute decision :/. Not good.

Let's not forget that Fantasy Life Online has been delayed how many times now? Twice? The smartphone version of Snack World was also delayed to next year.

I guess all the toys are coming later then as well? Bummer.

ranmafan

I really did not expect them to delay the game now we're so close to the release date and after they thoroughly demoed the game at World Hobby Fair, with ALL the promotional material mentioning the July 13th date.

Let's not forget that Fantasy Life Online has been delayed how many times now? Twice? The smartphone version of Snack World was also delayed to next year.

Maybe feedback from the world hobby fair pushed this delay? It's a shame but thankfully it's not too long.

Let's just hope it's not delayed again out of summer vacation time. If that happens that could be a big problem for them. It is a bummer for sure.

Sucks a bit but is actually better for me. Coming out after dragon quest means I have a better chance of putting more time into it. So I don't mind waiting.

On a slightly off topic thing, I've started to notice that famitsu direct links have been working for me always for many months now. Maybe it's cause I'm in japan? But it used to not work before for me either until the past year. Now a days I have no trouble accessing direct link s to famitsu. Wonder if it's the same for others .

It works from twitter and other places, but just from gaf it goes to a 403 forbidden page.

Apparently the smartphone ver. also delayed to 2018?
--> http://gematsu.com/2017/06/snack-world-trejarers-delayed-august-10-3ds-japan-2018-smartphones

Meffer

It got my attention when it was first announced and I'm glad it's shaping up than how it was before. I'm a fan of L5 games so I'll certainly get it. But since they are localizing it they'll have to bring it over soon if they're sticking with the 3DS version. Nintendo did say they'll support the 3DS past 2018 and they'll very likely stick to that till they get the Switch stock under control; but L5 will want to bring it out quick if they want that active install base.

kubus

Maybe feedback from the world hobby fair pushed this delay? It's a shame but thankfully it's not too long.

Let's just hope it's not delayed again out of summer vacation time. If that happens that could be a big problem for them. It is a bummer for sure.
If it's from feedback, the delay is a good thing and I hope they can make the game better before it releases. But it's probably to escape the heat from Dragon Quest 11 that launches the week after. Guess it's safer to delay the game a month than to release your game and huge toy line, to which nobody will pay attention one week later when everyone and their moms is playing Dragon Quest. I guess Splatoon 2 is a thing too.

I was really looking forward to it so yeah it's a shame, but actually it's not that bad for me personally. I'll have enough time to play Hey! Pikmin and Dragon Quest 11 and a bit more time to save up for Jara boxes :p.

Yeah but this was actually announced a while ago. If I recall correctly they first wanted to launch the smartphone version before the 3DS version... Then reversed it, and then delayed it some more to next year.

Lots of delays for Level-5 titles this year. Fantasy Life Online also keeps getting delayed, fans are pissed and say they don't care for the game anymore, it just takes too long. Wonder what all the holdup is, especially in their smartphone department :/.

Meffer

It's not that long. And L5 is known for their polish.

Laplasakos

Yeah but this was actually announced a while ago. If I recall correctly they first wanted to launch the smartphone version before the 3DS version... Then reversed it, and then delayed it some more to next year.

The 2018 delay is new, before they said fall 2017 or December 2017 for the mobile version.

kubus

It's not that long. And L5 is known for their polish.
Not really doubting the quality of the game, more that this is a PR / marketing disaster for them. They had a HUGE presence at World Hobby Fair with the original release date plastered everywhere, tv commercials, etc. Now the day after WHF they announce the delay.

Sure it's not that long, but after several delays of their other titles already, it's a bad look for the company.

The 2018 delay is new, before they said fall 2017 or December 2017 for the mobile version.
No, 2018 was announced a while ago. I even put it in the OP! This website covers the delay and was posted on June 11.

edit: The delay wasn't formally announced then, they just changed the image with the release date without saying anything. I guess if they sent out a press release today about the 3DS delay, they will probably have used that opportunity to also mention the smartphone delay, which in turn is most likely why some websites report on that now.

Meffer

Not really doubting the quality of the game, more that this is a PR / marketing disaster for them. They had a HUGE presence at World Hobby Fair with the original release date plastered everywhere, tv commercials, etc. Now the day after WHF they announce the delay.

Sure it's not that long, but after several delays of their other titles already, it's a bad look for the company.

No, 2018 was announced a while ago. I even put it in the OP!

This website covers the delay and was posted on June 11.

To be honest, Snack World looks like it's one of their more ambitious franchises so far. Games, show, NFC toys etc. They want to get off on the right foot. I'm not even mad because they make fun products.

Impotaku

Well that sucks, seems the level 5 site has the new updated release date but takara tomy's site still has the old date for the toys & merch.

Lots of delays for Level-5 titles this year. Fantasy Life Online also keeps getting delayed, fans are pissed and say they don't care for the game anymore, it just takes too long. Wonder what all the holdup is, especially in their smartphone department :/.

(About Smartphone Snack World) I see, didn't notice the delay then. Anyhow, Level 5 delays aren't new. Layton 7, Mystery Room are two other titles that went MIA for a while before resurfacing (Layton 7 still MIA).

I was actually surprised they were releasing Layton Mystery Journey one week after Snack World, but I guess this spaces things out a bit.

Well that sucks, seems the level 5 site has the new updated release date but takara tomy's site still has the old date for the toys & merch.

Level 5 even reuploaded all their youtube videos with the new release date. I'm sure those will be updated soon.

Laplasakos

No, 2018 was announced a while ago. I even put it in the OP! This website covers the delay and was posted on June 11.

edit: The delay wasn't formally announced then, they just changed the image with the release date without saying anything. I guess if they sent out a press release today about the 3DS delay, they will probably have used that opportunity to also mention the smartphone delay, which in turn is most likely why some websites report on that now.

Huh, that's strange. As i said before, i read the OP and i noticed the 2018 but i assumed that it was either an error or that i missed the delay. Today, all the headlines i am reading are mentioning ''smartphone version also delayed from December 2017 to 2018'' so...

Anyway, real news here is that the delay is a bummer...

ranmafan

It works from twitter and other places, but just from gaf it goes to a 403 forbidden page.

Apparently the smartphone ver. also delayed to 2018?
--> http://gematsu.com/2017/06/snack-world-trejarers-delayed-august-10-3ds-japan-2018-smartphones

Not for me lately, it's always worked from gaf. I always get the famitsu page, never the forbidden page, It's weird. Used to be it never worked and then this year it did. It could be the being in japan thing but who knows.

If it's from feedback, the delay is a good thing and I hope they can make the game better before it releases. But it's probably to escape the heat from Dragon Quest 11 that launches the week after. Guess it's safer to delay the game a month than to release your game and huge toy line, to which nobody will pay attention one week later when everyone and their moms is playing Dragon Quest. I guess Splatoon 2 is a thing too.

Yeah this does scream reaction to dragon quest, and I'm not surprised. The hype is well into swing for dq, especially with the kids. i think even the new date will not be enough time. Dq ix dominated summer vacation in 09 and I'm expecting the same for xi. And yet snack world needs to come out for summer vacation. And with the anime not doing well it seems, it's going to be a hard situation for level 5. Maybe this will be a reverse yokai watch where the game did ok at first and then the anime blew it open, but this time the game does it. But with dragon quest and splatoon 2 dominating the hype especially with kids, I'm starting to think it won't happen. Still hoping for the best

Laplasakos

I am not so sure they are afraid of DQXI or Splatoon 2. Game was never destined to do big numbers from the first week, it was always a matter of reception, legs and word of mouth. Also, it's not the first time it get's delayed so they surely had development problems before.

ranmafan

Are the accessories still releasing on July 13th?

Taking a quick look now it seems like so far they haven't been delayed yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they were pushed back as well. Makes sense for them to release on the same day. Probably will hear something about that soon. But right now all the sites still have July 13th dates for the accessories.

kubus

I think the toys and stuff will release as planned... I mean they have the secret keyword campaign, retail space probably is already reserved, etc. It would be headache to delay all of that as well, I think.

I could be wrong of course... But if they're gonna delay, I hope they announce it soon. It's gonna be mighty tempting to hoard Jara if they don't though :p. I'll probably get impatient and buy more out of anticipation...lol

ranmafan

I think the toys and stuff will release as planned... I mean they have the secret keyword campaign, retail space probably is already reserved, etc. It would be headache to delay all of that as well, I think.

I could be wrong of course... But if they're gonna delay, I hope they announce it soon. It's gonna be mighty tempting to hoard Jara if they don't though :p. I'll probably get impatient and buy more out of anticipation...lol

That's a good point that they might not be able to change the dates due to release schedules. If it stays on course it's going to be very interesting to see how they sale with no game. Correct me if I'm wrong but they've been holding back pretty much all merchandise for the game launch correct? I read that was one possible reason we haven't seen much interest in the series especially by kids yet. I know I haven't seen any sort of merchandise yet in any store.

Whenever they release I'm going to have to hold back buying them. But also I gotta figure out how I'm going to get these things to work. I have an old 3ds. Looking online those 3ds nfc readers are kinda expensive. Going to have to go looking around for a deal.

Impotaku

I'm kind of split now as the delay has killed some of my enthusiasm, having the merchandise without the game is a pain as i can't keep it at tenso that long to wait for the game to be released and then shipped together so that means splitting parcels up. Also they are keeping too tight lipped about the game, hell even youkai watch at this point had a decent amount of info available.

Will hold on a little longer but i may just cancel my orders as it's 57,000 yen tied up that i'm tempted to get a switch with instead.

Meffer

Yeah, I'm curious how this will play out with the delay. I mean I'm fine with the delay if it means a better game and all but I didn't consider the issue with the merchandise. It makes me wonder whether or not they could've just released the game on the intended date and simply release a patch that addresses whatever concern that caused the delay in the first place.

Impotaku

Well finally got the raritys figured out, found a video on youtube of someone opening the boxes.

https://youtu.be/bGKYQl2EoHc

Rarity tiers from rarest to most common

Super great rare
Great rare
Rare
Puchi rare

03RjkZJ.jpg

Meffer

Pretty smart that the keychains are in a aluminium package so nobody can cheat and just scan them without opening the box.

Impotaku

Yeah if they hadn't done that you would have been able to just stick a box on the 3ds with the game & found out the contents. I'm pretty sure those blue plastic figures that come in every box are to make all the weights equal so you can't figure out which have a snack in & which have jara by weighing them.

Meffer

Yeah if they hadn't done that you would have been able to just stick a box on the 3ds with the game & found out the contents. I'm pretty sure those blue plastic figures that come in every box are to make all the weights equal so you can't figure out which have a snack in & which have jara by weighing them.

That explains why some had two and some had one.

Impotaku

LOL looks like somoene pulled the secret jara from one of the WHF boxes, the secret is indeed the crystal sword Z
ckUnTsT.jpg

Surprised I missed the thread for this. There's no way I can afford everything for this game (the money's supposed to be for a Switch), hopefully Jara-less and Snack-less playing is fun. Really itching for something similar to Fantasy Life, and I still haven't played a bad Level-5 game yet.

starmud

chance of this seeing a state side release? im not feeling very good about it... the smartphone game looks meh, this version looks like something i'd try.

everytime i see this game though i can't help but feel this is where fantasy life 2 vanished...

Meffer

chance of this seeing a state side release? im not feeling very good about it... the smartphone game looks meh, this version looks like something i'd try.

everytime i see this game though i can't help but feel this is where fantasy life 2 vanished...

The OP said that Level5 is intent to release this outside Japan. Hell when they released their first animation trailer, they also released a dubbed version as well.

kubus

Welp, we're now two days away from the release of the merchandise! Wanted to post more but was busy with school and deadlines :(.

I'm kind of split now as the delay has killed some of my enthusiasm, having the merchandise without the game is a pain as i can't keep it at tenso that long to wait for the game to be released and then shipped together so that means splitting parcels up. Also they are keeping too tight lipped about the game, hell even youkai watch at this point had a decent amount of info available.

Will hold on a little longer but i may just cancel my orders as it's 57,000 yen tied up that i'm tempted to get a switch with instead.
Have you decided what you're gonna do yet? I understand that the delay is a real hypekiller :(. I am also really bummed out that I won't be able to play the game on the 14th, because that's exactly when my summer vacation starts. At least I can toy around with the Jara and Snacks.

I thought Tenso would hold packages for 2 months? Did that change or is my memory failing me? Level-5 did release some new videos of the game recently which looked pretty good to me, but yeah I wish they released a demo or something. Especially now that the toys are already coming out...

57,000 is really a lot of money though. I guess most of that is Jara treasure boxes? You could maybe drop that to two boxes and if you're gonna have it shipped to you in advance, you could always add more boxes once the game is out? Or just get the game digitally to save on shipping costs?

I think I'm gonna keep my pre-order of two boxes, so I'll have 20 trejara boxes by the end of this week. Hino teased on twitter that Snacks have better unlocks in-game so that makes me feel a bit better about the drop rate of Jara (unless he's lying lol). Also got the Fairypon + Jara holder (Chup version) coming, and might just add a Jara Trunk and Snack Trunk later if I have some money left.

Tusk

Does the jara/snack random box stuff come out later? Ordered everything on hlj and got a payment request today, but it's for everything but that.

Impotaku

Welp, we're now two days away from the release of the merchandise! Wanted to post more but was busy with school and deadlines :(.

Have you decided what you're gonna do yet? I understand that the delay is a real hypekiller :(. I am also really bummed out that I won't be able to play the game on the 14th, because that's exactly when my summer vacation starts. At least I can toy around with the Jara and Snacks.

I thought Tenso would hold packages for 2 months? Did that change or is my memory failing me? Level-5 did release some new videos of the game recently which looked pretty good to me, but yeah I wish they released a demo or something. Especially now that the toys are already coming out...

57,000 is really a lot of money though. I guess most of that is Jara treasure boxes? You could maybe drop that to two boxes and if you're gonna have it shipped to you in advance, you could always add more boxes once the game is out? Or just get the game digitally to save on shipping costs?

I think I'm gonna keep my pre-order of two boxes, so I'll have 20 trejara boxes by the end of this week. Hino teased on twitter that Snacks have better unlocks in-game so that makes me feel a bit better about the drop rate of Jara (unless he's lying lol). Also got the Fairypon + Jara holder (Chup version) coming, and might just add a Jara Trunk and Snack Trunk later if I have some money left.

Yesterday i dedcided i'm out for the time been. i cancelled all my preorders before amazon started taking money for them, it was a lot of stuff i had on order it was pretty much one of everything merchansdise wise plus 5 cases of treasure boxes. I'm now going to wait till the game is out and see some proper footage of it. Before i decide wether to dive back in, just hoping i havent screwed myself and everything will be available after launch but too late now as my preorders are toast. Hoefully people will start selling complete sets of the jara/snacks on amazon marketplace like they did with youkai medals but it depends on how popular this thing gets.

I could have sworn tenso only hold for a month but it's been a while since i had anything sent off so my memory could be playing up.

Meffer

Looks like to me is that they utilized the YWBusters battle system and mixed it with a proper RPG with the Jara/Snack twist. With online multiplayer. Sounds like a solid game honestly.

Top Bottom