• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Snack World: Trejarers Discussion Thread | Level-5 coming for your money... again

kubus

Mhl5McS.png

There's been bits of discussion about this game on the gaming boards, but also quite a bit of confusion about what The Snack World is - despite it coming from a big name like Level-5 and being groomed as the successor of Yo-kai Watch. Hopefully this thread will be informative and provide a good place to discuss the series while we move towards the game's Japanese release. And in light of the collectible aspect of the game, I figured it might be nice to see who is planning on getting the game (and the toys) so we can trade doubles and stuff :).

xsab2eg.png

The Snack World is the newest crossmedia project by Level-5 (known for Ni no Kuni, Professor Layton, Yo-kai Watch, Fantasy Life), spanning an anime tv show, game, comic, movie, and of course a monstrous toy line. It's meant to be the "new" Yo-kai Watch, after YW has sorta kinda died in Japan, and is even supposed to surpass it. The cgi anime series started last April, and the game, called Snack World: Trejarers is coming out on July 13th August 10 in Japan for Nintendo 3DS, with a smartphone version coming in 2018. Level-5 abby will be "bringing the ip to western audiences in coming years" (meaning a localization is likely) and Level-5 even released a fully English voiced pilot video. Other than that, we don't know anything about a western release (when/what).

The Snack World is described as a hyper casual fantasy rpg. The world of Snack World, called French Toaster (almost all of the names in the series are references to food), is your typical medieval rpg town, though there are some differences. For example, adventurers walk around with smartphones and there are things like vending machines, department stores and convenience stores placed around the city. Hence the "casual fantasy" bit.

The anime is centered around Chup, a young boy whose hometown was burned down by the villain Vinegar, and his companions Mayone and Peperon. The game however, lets you create your own avatar (and possibly party members as well). The anime and game share many resemblances, but in this thread we'll focus on the game, for obvious reasons.

jgg52nm.png

Gameplay footage and information on the game is scarce, but The Snack World is most likely best described as a (light) dungeon crawler rpg. You stroll around the city, buying and selling equipment and taking on quests, and then set out to randomly generated dungeons to complete said quests, gain loot and exp, and return to the city. That's the basic gameplay loop. But wait, there's more!

Jara and Snacks
The game is centered around these keychain accessories called Jara. Jara are miniature versions of equipment dangling from a keychain, varying from swords to shields to staffs and axes (and perhaps more). They form your party's equipment. You can take a maximum of six or seven Jara (still unclear on that) with you on each quest, and you can (un)equip them on the fly as you fight your way through the dungeons and against the bosses of the game. Weapons have brands, and each brand has their own style and specialization, and brands vary in rarity (drop rate).

Here comes Snack World's main gimmick, and what is like to bring in the big cash for Level-5: you can buy real Jara key-chains, packed in blind chests, which have a NFC chip in them so that you can scan into the game. Not every treasure chest contains a Jara though, because there's one more piece to the puzzle: Snacks.

Snacks look like plastic cards (the website describes them as "crystal plates"), and each one has the illustration of a monster or character on it. In the anime, Snacks are used to summon monsters, but in the game their use is a bit different, unlocking pieces of armor or special quests if you scan their NFC chip.

Each Trejara Box contains one random Jara or Snack. Series 1 contains 11 Jara + 1 "Secret" Jara, as well as 10 Snacks, making for a total of 22 items to collect. One chest costs 500 yen (+tax) ($5), or 5000 yen (+tax) for a box containing 10 chests. Of course, more Series/Waves are expected to hit stores later.

What do the Jara and Snacks do?
We won't know what each Jara/Snack does until the game comes out, and it's also unknown if the effect is randomized or if each Jara/Snack has a predetermined outcome. By now it's safe to rule out that scanning a specific Jara does not guarantee you will get the in-game version of that Jara right away, though it may open possibilities of you attaining that item in other ways. We've seen the following kind of effects so far in gameplay demonstrations and published information, though it does not guarantee this all made it to the final game.

Scanning Jara:
- Unlock special quest that leads to the Jara
- Get materials for weapon upgrades
- Increase odds of winning Jara at in-game raffles
- Increase drop rate on quests by way of "Jara Skills"
- Receive discount on scanned Jara in in-game shop

Scanning Snacks:
- Receive equipment or accessoiries (non-weapon)
- Unlock special quests

Now then, let's look at all the Jara and Snacks.

A855LKu.png

As mentioned before, the Trejara Box Series 1 contains 22 collectibles in total (12 Jara + 10 Snacks). However, there's more than that to collect, as Level-5 is bundling many toys and accessories with special Jara. Here's a list of all the known Jara available on launch.

Trejara Box Series 1
As described above, 22 items in total, of which 12 Jara and 10 Snacks. One Trejara Box costs 500 yen (+tax) and comes with either one Jara or Snack. They've made it in such a way that you can't figure out which one it is by holding it in your hand.

Packed in with game
The first print run of the game comes with the Jara "Crystal Sword alpha".

Fairypon (Blue & Pink)
These are the "smartphones" the main characters carry around in the anime. The blue version comes with the exclusive Jara "Clear Crystal Sword" and Snack "Butako". The pink version comes with the exclusive Jara "Clear Pink Panther" and Snack "Butako (with flower pendant)". These are electronic toys and light up and play sounds when you use Snacks with them and stuff.

Jara Holder (Chup Version & Mayone Version)
Keyholders designed after the ones Chup and Mayone wear in the anime. Chup's holder comes with the exclusive Jara "Wood Sword" and Mayone's holder comes with the exclusive Jara: "Saria Staff". You can fit around 6 Jara on them.

Jara Trunk & Snack Trunk
The Jara Trunk can hold 12 Jara and has a pouch for extra storage. Comes with the exclusive Jara "Clear Destroyer Axe". The Snack Trunk can hold 12 Snacks and comes with the exclusive Snack "Carbonara".

Beans Collection (Chup, Mayone, Butako)
Three cute plushies with each an exclusive "Light Snack". No idea what that means, but probably some gimped version of a normal Snack :p. You get "Butako (Large)" with the Chup plush, "Mayone" with... Mayone, and "Butako (Wailing)" with Butako.

Password Campaign
Say "Jara ga hoshii jara!" to a clerk in a participating store and get the "Silver Spade Sword" Jara. Campaign active from July 15th. Details here.

Arcade Game
If you get lucky while playing the arcade game, you can get a rare "Shadow Jewel Sword" (recolor of Clanarine Crystal Sword), but I'm not gonna dive into that rabbit hole.

Well there you have it - the game isn't out for another month but Level-5 has already made it impossible to get a full collection unless you have heaps of money to burn. I strongly suggest not to go full collection mode for this series because it can only get worse from here on out :p.

L0xJ4tQ.png

The game seems to have plenty of other features to keep you busy while you hoard Jara and Snacks. I'll highlight a few of them.

• Full avatar customization
    Male/Female, change voice, appearance and name. Also looks like you can make your own character card, with customizable background and pose. Perhaps for Streetpass and/or multiplayer?

• The world: French Toaster
    A bustling city with tons of stuff to do. Department store, convenience store ("Hero Mart"), vending machines, weapon shop, farm, cafe, and royal castle are confirmed so far to be in the game.

• Battle System
    Jara can be selected from the touch screen and changed on the fly as you fight in real time against enemies. On the world map, battles are triggered by touching enemies, and there don't seem to be random battles in dungeons. Enemy weaknesses are decided by elements (fire/water/etc), species and even color. Dungeon ends with a boss fight, or at least some of them.

• Multiplayer
    - Local and wireless co-op
    - Up to 4 players
    - Divide roles (looks like sword/axe/staff/bow)
    - Short messages are hotkeyed for communication
    - Explore dungeons together and search for rare items
    - Fight against bosses

Above sounds very similar to Yo-kai Watch 2's multiplayer mode. If so, it's probably an entirely different mode from the main game, disconnected from quests/dungeons in the main story mode. In other words, you probably can't play the "campaign" with friends, but this is unconfirmed.

• Dungeons
    The official site has revealed a couple of the dungeon areas you will visit in the game. Almost all of the names are food puns. Take a closer look at them here.

- Taraban Ganian: marine themed area with water type enemies, "sea god" (Neptune?) boss lurks here
    - Minestrone Forest: a forest distant from French Toaster. There be Sirens here.
    - Makaro Mountain: A haunted mountain peak, with tons of ghost and undead type monsters.
    - Lost Beef: Mines with mountain ridges shaped like meat. Many adventurers have come here and become lost.

• Monsters
    The Snack World contains many enemies with cute designs, as well as bigger badder boss monsters. You can find some examples of their designs here.

• Jara Brands
    Above you can see examples of four Jara Brands. So far we know about 10 brands (of which one is "brandless"). You can see the rest of them here. At the reveal of the game Hino said that the in-game drop rate of the rarest brand would be close to 1% and this would also be reflected in the way Trejara Boxes are packaged... Collectors beware :p.

mmcdPPv.png

Screenshots

Videos

3DS Gameplay demonstration - Shows a bit of everything - town, Jara scanning, world map, dungeon, battles, boss
Nintendo Direct segment

eNzyjpn.png

As mentioned before, The Snack World: Trejarers is very likely coming to the west. Level-5 abby's official website states that it will "bring the franchise to western audiences via various touchpoints, including animation, toys, comics, music and more". Games aren't specifically mentioned, but it wouldn't make sense to bring the toys over and not the games, so it's safe to assume the game will be localized as well. It may take some time before it happens though, as Level-5 only mentioned "in coming years" as a timeframe, and of course we don't know if imported Jara will work with localized games, or vice versa. In the meantime, you can check out the English PV here.

If you want to import, don't forget that the Nintendo 3DS (as well as all its brothers & sisters) is region locked, so you'd need a Japanese 3DS to play the game. If you don't have one and don't want to import a 3DS, you could wait for the smartphone version of the game, which was recently delayed to 2018. Don't forget that if you want to play around with the NFC toys, you will have to import those as well, and there's no guarantee they will work with an eventually localized version of the game.

----

Whew, wrote more than I planned to, but then again this seems to be quite a meaty game and for people like me who love to collect things and have gotten bored with amiibo hunting, The Snack World and its NFC compatibility is looking very good :).

jonno394

Great thread, thanks for all the information. Definitely an interesting IP

I really want to like this game but not on 3DS. Mobile version is interesting because iirc, Apple don't like anyone else using the nfc function of the phones, so how would the collectables aspect work?

wrowa

How's the anime doing these days? I remember reading it didn't attract much of a viewership in the beginning, but I don't know if the situation has improved since then.

kubus

Great thread, thanks for all the information. Definitely an interesting IP

I really want to like this game but not on 3DS. Mobile version is interesting because iirc, Apple don't like anyone else using the nfc function of the phones, so how would the collectables aspect work?
Thanks :)! Apparently Apple is slowly lifting restrictions as of this month, so might not be a problem anymore by the time the smartphone version rolls out. I suppose cross saving is out of the question, but I'm also kinda looking forward to playing this on iPhone. Could make a huge difference in Japan.

How's the anime doing these days? I remember reading it didn't attract much of a viewership in the beginning, but I don't know if the situation has improved since then.

Ratings were pretty terrible in the beginning... Second episode was a bit better, but can't find anything about the ratings now. Living in Tokyo, I can say that I'm not seeing any hype for it whatsoever. Hopefully the game is appealing enough to turn it around.

Gotta say I don't find the anime very interesting either. It looks good for cgi, but it's also kinda drab that way. Also, they keep recycling dumb gags and the characters are very flat. Chup the perv with shounen power, jealous Mayone that keeps scolding the other characters and bossing them around, Peperon who's just kind of there and ends all his sentences with ~degowasu for whatever reason, and the old-man goblin who really should've been scrapped for adding nothing except being lame and old. Oh and don't forget the annoying princess who keeps seducing Chup by being all sensual and fanservice-y. There have been some questionable other characters as well, such as the three genies that are an overdone Japanese stereotype of gays. I really don't see how they gonna localize and market this in the west, especially for kids...

ranmafan

Going to be getting this on release date. My daughter is really into the series and wants to play the game too. And since I really like Level 5's games, Im for it as well. Just wish it wasn't coming out so soon to Dragon Quest XI. Once that comes out Ill be putting this aside. Still really like the concept they got here.

Raitaro

Does anyone have any insight as to why Yokai Watch died out in Japan when things like Pokemon seem live on indefinitely? Why would kids collectively lose interest instead of having new, younger kids become interested and take their place (again, like with Pokemon and other long running series)?

The 8-4 Play folks talked about The Snack World at one point so their podcast might be a good source for first impressions etc. Not sure if they are localizing it by the way.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So many words, so little actual analysis on the game itself.

I don't say that in criticism of the OP, it just struck me as oddly fitting for a Level-5 cross-media joint.

Looks like it's going to take a while yet again, why does Level 5 takes so much time to localized their games?

They lean really heavily on the cross-media aspect and those deals take time to negotiate.

What bugs me is the impending Layton game is launching simultaneously on mobile and 3DS but only in Japan--the international version will launch on smartphones on the same day but the 3DS version still doesn't have a release date beyond "fall". Don't they get that releasing the 3DS even just a few weeks later is going to cripple the sales for that version?

Fiendcode

Not expecting this to get localized due to the reliance on nfc objects and the late platform release. Like Ninokuni DS and the tome.

Also it just makes me yearn for a real Fantasy Life 2. :(

I have the game and a complete set of accessories on preorder with Amazon. I absolutely can't wait for the launch. I'm aiming for a complete set of the series one Jaras, though the exclusive arcade Jara is going to make that difficult to achieve outside of Japan.

I have been looking out for a thread for this game for a little while; it's great to see so much interest expressed here.

The video promos for each equipment company might be a great addition to the OP, otherwise, you've done a terrific job collating the information available.

Does anyone have any insight as to why Yokai Watch died out in Japan when things like Pokemon seem live on indefinitely? Why would kids collectively lose interest instead of having new, younger kids become interested and take their place (again, like with Pokemon and other long running series)?
Pokémon is a long-standing franchise which is heavily and carefully curated to ensure that people get enough content out of it to keep them interested in it without people getting overwhelmed. Yo-Kai Watch, however, is yet another example of Level 5 hitting on a killer idea and throttling the life out of it through careless franchise maintenance and oversaturation of the brand, like Layton and Inazuma before it. It's kinda their business model at this point.

I thought Level-5 announced Yo-Kai Watch was taking a break? At least in terms of games. I assumed it was so L5 could focus their efforts on the successful launch of Snack World. There is still a new Yo-Kai film and anime series with their own Watch model and medals coming soon. Judging by the trailer, we might be seeing
new protagonists
. I suspect this new take will form the basis of further games in the franchise.

Beautifully detailed write up kubus! :)
I love this idea so much, just like I love any game with silly plastic stuff attached to it. I might just import a treasure box or two just to have one of the key chains early, haha.

I love this idea so much, just like I love any game with silly plastic stuff attached to it. I might just import a treasure box or two just to have one of the key chains early, haha.

The Jaras look great. I love the Fairy Electronics and QLoris brands.

ranmafan

Pokémon is a long-standing franchise which is heavily and carefully curated to ensure that people get enough content out of it to keep them interested in it without people getting overwhelmed. Yo-Kai Watch, however, is yet another example of Level 5 hitting on a killer idea and throttling the life out of it through careless franchise maintenance and oversaturation of the brand, like Layton and Inazuma before it. It's kinda their business model at this point.

That's pretty much it about what's going on here in Japan now. Level 5 hit the jackpot with Yokai Watch, and for a short time it looked unstoppable. but then they went in too crazy with the property and it became over saturated fast. Too many games including spinoffs that just were a surprise (romance of the three kingdoms meets yokai watch for instance), too much extra products no body wanted, and they haven't even been able to get another hit song. Now the show and games are still popular but you can see it with the kids now a days, it's no where as big as it was three years ago. Heck Netflix which has most of the show up for viewing here stoped updating it a while back. Ironically snack world gets the new episode posted each week. Pokémon is managed much better in all these regards. The Pokémon company are masters at how to manage a kids franchise in the long term. And you can see it with the excitement kids have with it here, even to the point where they are saying things like "aloha" a lot these days I've found since the release of sun and moon.

I do wonder how snack world will do in the end? While my daughter absolutely loves the show, I don't see other kids interested in it at all yet. Now the merchandise isn't out yet either so it's no surprise I haven't seen any of that yet, but it will be interesting to see how things go with the franchise come the end of summer break for kids. Also I think level 5 is taking a huge gamble launching the game just weeks before dragon quest xi. But we shall see soon. I hope it does well. These level five cross media games are always fun.

kubus

Going to be getting this on release date. My daughter is really into the series and wants to play the game too. And since I really like Level 5's games, Im for it as well. Just wish it wasn't coming out so soon to Dragon Quest XI. Once that comes out Ill be putting this aside. Still really like the concept they got here.
Nice! And good to know there is at least one kid excited for it, haha. I also love everything Level-5 puts out, even though I know they're just cash-grabs beyond a layer of cuteness. I'm also a bit worried about the release timing... I've got Hey! Pikmin on pre-order as well, which also comes out on July 13. And Dragon Quest XI soon after... My 2DS LL will be stuck to the charger the entire month :p.

So many words, so little actual analysis on the game itself.

I don't say that in criticism of the OP, it just struck me as oddly fitting for a Level-5 cross-media joint.
Haha, yeah as I was putting it together I realized that we actually don't know a lot about the game... at all. And there's not even a decent gameplay trailer. I'm sure we'll get that soon, but still... It's a Level-5 ip, alright.

I have the game and a complete set of accessories on preorder with Amazon. I absolutely can't wait for the launch. I'm aiming for a complete set of the series one Jaras, though the exclusive arcade Jara is going to make that difficult to achieve outside of Japan.

I have been looking out for a thread for this game for a little while; it's great to see so much interest expressed here.

The video promos for each equipment company might be a great addition to the OP, otherwise, you've done a terrific job collating the information available.
Good call, I'll add those videos tomorrow when I have more time (hopefully I don't forget). And yeah, glad to see more people excited for it! I've got 2 boxes of the chests on pre-order (so yeah that's 10.000 yen in plastic nfc toys, lol) and the blue Fairypon and Chup's keychain holder. Not sure whether I'll keep all of it, but that's the beauty of Amazon, I can decide closer to the release date and cancel anytime :).

Thanks! :D Yeah, I'm completely with you on that one, love the concept and love how the Jara look and interact with the game! Looking forward to sharing our loot once the game and the treasure chests hit retail (and overseas homes, haha). Would be nice if we could get rid of doubles by trading and stuff :).

Mozendo

This sounds so great, but what are the chances that the localization is for SEA countries instead of NA+Europe?

ranmafan

Nice! And good to know there is at least one kid excited for it, haha. I also love everything Level-5 puts out, even though I know they're just cash-grabs beyond a layer of cuteness. I'm also a bit worried about the release timing... I've got Hey! Pikmin on pre-order as well, which also comes out on July 13. And Dragon Quest XI soon after... My 2DS LL will be stuck to the charger the entire month :p.

Yeah she's really excited for it. She was excited just seeing the pictures of it in this thread. I just hope she doesn't get too excited for it, cause I can't imagine what will happen when she realizes she can buy the little toys for it. No way I could get a lot of those at the moment.

But yeah July is like the worst month for me and this game. Along with it and DQXI there's the final fantasy xii remake and gundam versus too. Very busy month. But in terms of popularity in general, it's in a tough position with DQ just weeks away. And everyone is excited for that here. It's going to need to be a long term saleing game to be a huge hit I think. But we will see, I've seen quite a bit of commercials for it.

kubus

This sounds so great, but what are the chances that the localization is for SEA countries instead of NA+Europe?
Well I just found out this is on Level-5's website:

Level-5 abby said:
The company's tentpole franchises – YO-KAI WATCH™, Little Battlers eXperience™ (LBX™) and SNACK WORLD™ -- are debuting before western audiences via multiple touch points, including animation, toys, comics, music, and many more ways in coming years.

Still, it doesn't mention games, but there'd be no point to the toys without the game, and you can't get vaguer than "in coming years", but it's something I guess :p

Morokh

If the gameplay is fun, I'm in.
Their games often lack a little something to be really great games, but they're always extremely charming.

Impotaku

Awesome write up Kubus, lol yeah it's annoying how little Level 5 have let slip of the game they do love to drip feed that info. Seen enough to know it's right up my alley with how it looks so far.

I'm currently all in on this one, i have an obscene amount of stuff ordered from Amazon Jp. Pretty much everything in the OP along with 5 cases of Jara. The promo jara and arcade ones are going to be trickier to go for seeing as they are colour swaps it's not a huge killer if i miss them, it all depends on what they unlock in the game if they are tied to cool quests then i shall be getting them.

Hoping with these Jara been released by takara tomy & not bandai they might not pull the youkai watch shit of giving you 8 weeks to get a series before they crank out another series. That is what totally burned me out with youkai watch, as much as i love the game there was no way i could keep up with them.

Jara do look nice on their own as collectables before you even start using them in the game. With 5 cases i'm hoping to get at least most in the series i'm going to end up with a shitload of extras that i'll be selling on i think or swapping for ones i don't have.

Mozendo

Well I just found out this is on Level-5's website:

Still, it doesn't mention games, but there'd be no point to the toys without the game, and you can't get vaguer than "in coming years", but it's something I guess :p

Oh that's really great, now I'm pumped.
Also great job with the thread, as a L5-fan I had no idea this was a thing and it was super informational.

Looks very pretty, but spending your money on this game feels like a pain in the ass... especially since we are talking about Level 5.

WonderzL

Banned
I think this is the evolution of Fantasy Life. I absolutely live this and of course will be there day 1, like all Level 5 games.

BTW, Yo-kai Watch 3 needs to come West next year!

In a word, overexposure.

Honestly, I think it's the USA setting, lol.

I think this is the evolution of Fantasy Life.

I would definitely love that to be the case, but it does kind of feel like a bit of a side step if co-op is actually a separate mode. Is that confirmed yet? A lot of my memories of Fantasy Life are in co-op, working together to compliment each other's lives. There's definitely gameplay similarities here but separating the actual big world to explore from co-op, making SP played as authored characters and adding the jara stuff definitely moves away from some of what I loved. In it's own right though, it looks like a really cool game, just one that I would be more excited to play alone maybe.

You would think that Level 5 would eventually realize how to better handle their IP when they do have a huge hit.

kubus

Awesome write up Kubus, lol yeah it's annoying how little Level 5 have let slip of the game they do love to drip feed that info. Seen enough to know it's right up my alley with how it looks so far.

I'm currently all in on this one, i have an obscene amount of stuff ordered from Amazon Jp. Pretty much everything in the OP along with 5 cases of Jara. The promo jara and arcade ones are going to be trickier to go for seeing as they are colour swaps it's not a huge killer if i miss them, it all depends on what they unlock in the game if they are tied to cool quests then i shall be getting them.

Hoping with these Jara been released by takara tomy & not bandai they might not pull the youkai watch shit of giving you 8 weeks to get a series before they crank out another series. That is what totally burned me out with youkai watch, as much as i love the game there was no way i could keep up with them.

Jara do look nice on their own as collectables before you even start using them in the game. With 5 cases i'm hoping to get at least most in the series i'm going to end up with a shitload of extras that i'll be selling on i think or swapping for ones i don't have.
Five cases?! That's nuts! It would really suck if you don't get a complete collection then. I wish I had the money to go all in on this franchise, but July is so packed... Got a Dragon Quest XI 2DS LL on pre-order, as well as Hey! Pikmin and its amiibo... I noticed that amazon lowered the prices of the cases and trunks and stuff so maybe I'll slip in another pre-order :p.

And yeah I hope they let the series breathe a little before pumping out another wave of Jara. I'm a bit disappointed in the Snacks though. Getting a Snack instead of a Jara is gonna be disappointing, especially at 500 yen. Hopefully they're well balanced, because it's easy to get burned with that price point and quit collecting if you keep pulling Snacks instead of Jara.

Oh that's really great, now I'm pumped.
Also great job with the thread, as a L5-fan I had no idea this was a thing and it was super informational.
Thank you! Glad the thread is fulfilling its purpose :)

You would think that Level 5 would eventually realize how to better handle their IP when they do have a huge hit.
At this point I think it's part of their strategy. Make something super popular, over saturate the market with spin-offs, merchandise etc. to make the most profit in a short period of time, and then dump it once the next IP is ready.

Kind of sad, really. All their franchises are really charming, and if they put more effort in curating their ips and keeping them fresh and the audiences engaged, Level-5 could have a really strong portfolio and have become a publisher powerhouse by now.

Kubus, I just noticed Amazon has two editions of the game listed. One is 5,184 Yen and the other is 4,391 Yen. Could you by chance tell me what the difference is?

ranmafan

Kubus, I just noticed Amazon has two editions of the game listed. One is 5,184 Yen and the other is 4,391 Yen. Could you by chance tell me what the difference is?

The more expensive one comes with amazon exclusive stickers. While the cheaper one is the normal one you can buy anywhere. Both come with the first printing jara. Amazon likes to always have a more expensive version of games with exclusive items. Sometimes they are nice but usually they aren't worth the extra money versus the lower price versions.

All I can see is a sheet of puffy stickers? That's what ぷくぷくシール are but I have no idea why that'd be worth 800¥ to many people.

ranmafan

All I can see is a sheet of puffy stickers? That's what ぷくぷくシール are but I have no idea why that'd be worth 800¥ to many people.

Just amazons usual pricing for their extras. You think it's bad for stickers, sometimes they charge that or more and al you get is a computer wallpaper!

Just amazons usual pricing for their extras. You think it's bad for stickers, sometimes they charge that or more and al you get is a computer wallpaper!
Gross! I never knew this cause I've never preordered and import before, haha. I usually just grab cheapo used stuff so I never knew Amazon JP did shop preorder exclusives like I've seen at places like amiami.

ranmafan

Gross! I never knew this cause I've never preordered and import before, haha. I usually just grab cheapo used stuff so I never knew Amazon JP did shop preorder exclusives like I've seen at places like amiami.

Oh yeah they do it all the time. Problem is amazon's exclusive items tend to be the worse of them all. While the more otaku like stores will have cool items, amazons are cheap and ridiculous. The wallpapers especially are silly. Now amazon of course still is the best regarding prices for non amazon exclusive preorders, but yeah unless you get lucky and amazon gets a cool exclusive (like I did for the fire emblem if special edition which amazon gave out a nice mousepad for)I always say take a pass and get the regular version. But it gets annoying when you want to order something and there's so many listings for one game do to multiple systems, regular vs limited, and then for each of those regular and amazon exclusive ones. It's a pain

wedca

Never heard of this but I really enjoyed Fantasy Life so I'm interested.

I have zero desire to buy the NFC items so I'm curious about how much (if at all) the experience will be negatively impacted by not messing with them.

Thanks guys! I'll stick with my pre-order of the cheaper edition then! I'm excited to be coming in on the ground floor with Level-5's new IP.

I'm debating the necessity of some of the accessories I have on pre-order. Is it true that the Crystal Jaras are just variants of regular versions? Specifically the Clear Crystal Sword, Clear Pink Panther and Clear Destroyer Axe. I also saw mention of the possibility of using the Fairypon to "level up" your Jara and Snacks. Do we have confirmation on this?

kubus

Yeah Amazon's exclusive bonuses are pretty hit or miss... I felt dirty cancelling my Zelda 30th Anniversary CD pre-order and re-ordering the Amazon Exclusive version which was 1000 yen more, but the bonus item was a clear file for storing your concert ticket. The file itself really isn't worth 1000 yen, but it was such a sweet item, I couldn't resist.

I also have the Amazon exclusive version of Hey! Pikmin on pre-order because it comes with Pikmin-themed screen cleaner or something, and I'm weak for Pikmin related merch (this one is also 1000 yen more expensive than the normal version :p).

Snack World's bonus is pretty boring though.

Thanks guys! I'll stick with my pre-order of the cheaper edition then! I'm excited to be coming in on the ground floor with Level-5's new IP.

I'm debating the necessity of some of the accessories I have on pre-order. Is it true that the Crystal Jaras are just variants of regular versions? Specifically the Clear Crystal Sword, Clear Pink Panther and Clear Destroyer Axe. I also saw mention of the possibility of using the Fairypon to "level up" your Jara and Snacks. Do we have confirmation on this?
According to Takara Tomy's official description, you can battle monsters on the Fairypon using Jara, and when you win you can write data to the Jara, and then read this data in the game again. Doesn't really say what kind of effects this has in-game though :/.

Information on the toys and games are all over the place, so perhaps there's more info to be found elsewhere. I haven't really kept up with information from magazines like CoroCoro :/.

kubus

Finally found a good quality image and list of all the Jara and Snacks in Trejara Box Series 1 + a likely suspect for the "secret" Jara.

Overview of all Jara and Snacks

Name (Japanese) | Name (English) | Brand

Jara

1. クリスタルソード Crystal Sword (Britannia Enchant) (pictured top right)
2. クランクリスタルソード Clan Crystal Sword (Clanarine)
3. クランメタルブローチ Clan Metal Brooch (Clanarine)
4. ミラーシールド Mirror Shield (Britannia Enchant)
5. デストロイヤーアックス Destroyer Axe (Britannia Enchant)
6. フラワーペンダント Flower Pendant (Peffany)
7. フェアリクリスタルナイフ Fairy Crystal Knife (Fairy Electronics)
8. ウッドシールド Wood Shield (Qloris)
9. ウッドアックス Wood Axe (Qloris)
10. ストライプソードII Striped Sword II (Flying Cat)
11. ハリセンソード Paper Fan Sword (No Brand)
12. ??? Secret (not pictured)

Snacks

1. ブッテリー (Buttery) (pictured top right)
2. ジニーズ (Genies)
3. ピノキオVer.3.0 (Pinoccio Ver.3.0)
4. フェアジー (Feajii)
5. マーメイド (Mermaid)
6. ミミック (Mimic)
7. ペンギンナイト (Penguin Knight)
8. スコーピオン (Scopeon)
9. イエティ (Yeti)
10. クローン (Clone)

The Secret Jara?
It's being speculated that the secret Jara is the "Crystal Sword Z" that appeared briefly in the anime. It's supposed to cut anything, and was shown on the villain's weapon mail order tv program. It's a pretty cool sword, but then again it's another variant of the Crystal Sword... We'll find out if this is the actual secret Jara when the Trejara Boxes are officially released.

Rarities
As of right now, we don't know how the distribution of Jara and Snacks in the boxes are balanced. It could be 50% chance of getting a Jara or Snack, or it could be (heavily) skewed towards one or the other. But even if it were 50/50, you have to keep in mind that the Jara themselves (and possibly Snacks as well) also have their own rarity rates. For example, the chance of getting a Jara by Clanarine (the highest rated Jara Brand) is close to 1%, according to Hino at the game reveal.

The following information isn't verified, but right now the following "brand ranking" is being circulated on the interwebs:

SS Rank: Clanarine
S Rank: Britannia Enchant, Fairy Electronics, Peffany
A Rank: Detton, Legacy, Phantom
B Rank: Flying Cat, Paccarat Lapa, Qloris, No Brand

---------------------------------------------------------

In other news, this screenshot shows one of the quests in the game.

The quest objective is to slay Dulahan (don't know about the spelling), a boss monster. As a reward for clearing the quest, you get the Crystal Sword. Now the question is: is this part of the main story? The quest giver is the King, which sounds main story-ish enough. But a more likely scenario is that this is the quest you unlock when you scan the Crystal Sword NFC chip in the game and thus upon completion of the quest, you are awarded with the actual in-game sword (because we know that scanning /=/ you get the item immediately handed to you, you have to work for it).

Final note: this weekend World Hobby Fair is being held in Japan and Takara Tomy is handing out free Trejara Boxes to kids (only kids I'm afraid, or I would've gone!). If these are the real thing, and not specially made for the event with the same Jara in all of them, then we'll find out a lot more about the distribution rates of Jara/Snacks in the coming days. But I think these boxes will all have the Crystal Sword. I mean, that would be the smartest way to market your game and I believe they've done that before at another event (Level-5 press event iirc).

Impotaku

Kubus the rarity tiers are listed on the front of the treasure chest display box, sadly i can't find a bigger image of it to clearly read what the rarity tiers are called but it lists the numbers of each rarity in the complete series for jaras & snacks.

It's in the yellow box on the bottom left & on the front right hand side of the box.
4904810898795.jpg

c0hi9ZN.jpg

kubus

Ohh you're right! Edit: Found out the tier names :). It was スーパーグレートレア (duh) プチレア. It's so hard to make out the tier names though... I think I see スーパー (super) and レア (rare) but not sure what's the word between. Looks like プレート (plate), but that sounds a bit random. The lowest tier is also lost on me :/. But at least these tiers match the ones I found online.

That makes the following rarity tiers:

Jara

1x Super Great Rare: "Secret" Jara (rumored to be Crystal Sword Z)
2x Super Rare: Clan Crystal Sword, Clan Metal Brooch
5x Rare: Crystal Sword, Mirror Shield, Destroyer Axe, Flower Pendant, Fairy Crystal Knife
4x Petit Rare: Wood Shield, Wood Axe, Striped Sword II, Paper Fan Sword

Snacks

2x Super Great Rare: Genies, Pinocchio 3.0.
4x Rare: Penguin Knight, Mermaid, Mimic, Feajii
4x Petit Rare: Scopeon, Butteri, Yeti, Clone

There's also been some tweets from people who got to play Snack World at World Hobby Fair. Apparently they did pack in both random Snacks and Jara, so these could be the actual boxes that will go on sale in July.

Someone got the Wood Shield:

And Mirror Shield:

To tempted to go tomorrow! It seems they're only demoing the multiplayer mode and no single player stuff, and reports all repeat the same thing: It's basically Yo-kai Watch Busters :p. They've also got Fairypon demonstrations and all the toys and Jara on display and stuff.

Top Bottom