• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spoony Experiment

Veelk

Banned
Count me interested as well. I don't suppose any of those folders contain the commentaries alongside the reviews do they? Much of that seems to unfortunately be dead on the site and not uploaded to YouTube.

Unfortunately not. :( I was never interested in the commentaries, so I never got them.

If yall can get some kind of archive of all of Spoony's old content it'd be fantastic I've wanted to go back to his old work and of course 95% of it is ded

Manbig

He defended Sarah Nyberg when people found out she spoke often about pedophilia, browsed (the now dead) 12chan frequently, and some disgusting things about her underage cousin.

Took a peek at this on google and I have to ask...

Is this some legitimately confirmed stuff, or is this some Gamergate bullshit?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Took a peek at this on google and I have to ask...

Is this some legitimately confirmed stuff, or is this some Gamergate bullshit?

It's confirmed. They came from chat logs on her site.

I don't care for Gamergate either, but when people are openly defending a pedophile like that, I get disgusted.

Link1110

Still going on channelawesome.com
I only really watch Nostalgia Critic and Angry Joe anymore. Cinema Snob isn't as good as it used to be and I stopped watching Linkara when he persisted in his god awful attempts at overarching plot. Guy is a good reviewer but a fucking terrible serious actor which was what he seemed to so desperately want to be.

Nostalgia Critic can be hit and miss these days, but I'm glad he seems to have given Malcolm and Tamara smaller roles lately. Malcolm is great but Tamara is just terrible in the sketch stuff.
Tamara never annoyed me too much in the sketches. Now Nella from the nostalgia chick videos on the other hand, as soon as I saw her video went off. She was horrible in front of a camera

Khezu

I never really liked anyone from channel awesome, I didn't find them entertaining or funny.

So I wasn't a big fan of Spoony joining up with them for awhile.

There was also way too many of them.

Toxi

Banned
Still going on channelawesome.com
I only really watch Nostalgia Critic and Angry Joe anymore. Cinema Snob isn't as good as it used to be and I stopped watching Linkara when he persisted in his god awful attempts at overarching plot. Guy is a good reviewer but a fucking terrible serious actor which was what he seemed to so desperately want to be.

Nostalgia Critic can be hit and miss these days, but I'm glad he seems to have given Malcolm and Tamara smaller roles lately. Malcolm is great but Tamara is just terrible in the sketch stuff.
You crazy, Brad Jones continues to be the most consistently funny person on the site by a mile.

I don't know how someone can even tolerate modern Nostalgia Critic.

No, I mean, I DLed them back when Blip was still up.

As far as I know, I have everything he put out, but I might have missed a thing or two.

Here is my collection:

http://i.imgur.com/QcU8CGz.png
http://i.imgur.com/un7m7Q7.png
http://i.imgur.com/r7KxNKL.png

The folder titles just contain what they they say they do, but those are the largest ones of different movies.

For the record, I'm not really interested in uploading videoes on youtube, but I can upload them to mega so others have the opportunity to DL them for themselves.
I for one would be very interested :D

Sesha

In case anyone is interested, here's uploads of Spoony's rifftrax of Dungeons & Dragons, Starship Troopers, Judge Dredd, and Matrix Revolutions (not mine). Starship Troopers is missing part 1, and Matrix Revolutions is missing parts 1, 2, 4 and 6. Unless the MP3s of each riff can be found or rescued from Spoony's old web site somehow, that's all there is of them. These are all from 2006, so it's the most classic of classic Spoony. The D&D riff is one of the funniest things he (and Miles) ever did, so I highly recommend giving it a watch if you've never seen/listened to it before.

Nordicus

I could never stand any of their videos, Brad Jones was the only funny one there.
Don't watch much Cinema Snob anymore but the Midnight Screenings reviews are great. Especially when he goes to watch some (Christian) propaganda movies with Dave.

It's confirmed. They came from chat logs on her site.

I don't care for Gamergate either, but when people are openly defending a pedophile like that, I get disgusted.
https://idledillettante.com/2015/09/11/5-reasons-i-stand-with-sarah-nyberg/
https://medium.com/@srhbutts/i-m-sarah-nyberg-and-i-was-a-teenage-edgelord-b8a460b27e10#.uabnyyreg
Chat logs from an IRC room I was in nearly a decade ago were leaked to gamergate. To say the contents of those logs were not flattering would be putting it lightly. They are, in some ways, much what you’d expect from an early-2000’s chatroom of 4chan expats trying too hard to outdo each other for shock value. Even with that context, much of what I said was gross and disturbing, and I have no interest in defending it.
[...]
It was clear to almost everyone that what was happening to me was the result of a malicious, hypocritical harassment engine. Obvious farcical posturing was spun as damning confessions of federal crimes. Things I pasted into a chat to mock were taken to be things I actually said. Outlandish lies I told nearly ten years ago to get a rise out of people (like the straight-faced statement that my computer was “seized by police”) were taken at face value despite being obviously and entirely unsupported by reality — it never happened, and it’s easily verifiable that it never did.
[...]
If it puts anyone at ease, I retained a lawyer and proactively contacted the police. They saw right through the avalanche of bad faith reports, and under independent scrutiny, have stated they have no reason to believe any crime ever took place.

i honestly just hated all these skits about "reviewers" like it was a serious story like dude you're just talking about if a movie is good or not and then they make cringeworthy skits
thinking back on it, kickassia was where I started realising I had was not enjoying it anymore

Manbig

Thank you for sharing this. I felt like I would've had to look through a mountain of GG spin garbage to find her statement on the matter.

Outside of that stuff, I very much enjoy Todd's One Hit Wonderland series. It helped me rediscover some old favorites of mine and even introduced me to some songs that I never really gave a chance when they came out, like I Believer in a thing Called Love by the Darkness. Here are some of my favorites:

Butterfly by Crazytown

Maniac by Michael Sembello

Ghetto Superstar by Pras

Blue (Da Ba Dee) by Eiffel 65

Just a few of them there, but there's a lot of good stuff.

i honestly just hated all these skits about "reviewers" like it was a serious story like dude you're just talking about if a movie is good or not and then they make cringeworthy skits
thinking back on it, kickassia was where I started realising I had was not enjoying it anymore
I was already falling off at that point, but Kickassia was the moment when I realized I had grown out of these guys.

I just don't understand why a written, and edited review should take almost a third of the runtime of its subject material. Even worse when they would mention pacing, oblivious to the bloated slog of a critique they're making by recounting the film beat by beat and throwing in all their running jokes and storylines.

TeaJay

No, I mean, I DLed them back when Blip was still up.

As far as I know, I have everything he put out, but I might have missed a thing or two.

Here is my collection:

http://i.imgur.com/QcU8CGz.png
http://i.imgur.com/un7m7Q7.png
http://i.imgur.com/r7KxNKL.png

The folder titles just contain what they they say they do, but those are the largest ones of different movies.

For the record, I'm not really interested in uploading videoes on youtube, but I can upload them to mega so others have the opportunity to DL them for themselves.

I would be very interested if you could make a torrent or something. I'd love to re-watch some of his older stuff, which is dead on his main site now.

MechaX

I'm actually really wondering where Spoony is right now. Still nothing on Twitter since Sept 27th.

Holy hell, you're right. Even before the entire meltdown back when I used to follow him on twitter, it was hard pressed getting him to slow the fuck down on twitter.

Voror

I glanced at her twitter a little while back and she answered a question saying that he was working on videos but that he was still having trouble sleeping at all.

I just wanted to jump in and say thank you for upload The Ripper stuff. I didn't have those downloaded.

If possible, do you have non-russian subs of the last few episodes of FFVIII and Swat? Also, all of the old reviews like Robin Hood and The Thing and whatnot?

Pachinko

I'm pretty sure Spoony is doing OK , sure the last time he tweeted was a couple weeks back and it was close to a month before that but , he's been suffering from perhaps a misdiagnosed sleep disorder , a CPAP machine that isn't helping and like most of us he's exhausted by constant media coverage of Trump and the election in general.

Hopefully he can get everything sorted out and get back to making entertaining vids and some great tweets.

jholmes

Spoony sucked ever since he teamed up with Doug Walker. Met him at E3 back in 2012 and had such an assy "So full of himself" attitude. Loved his earlier Sega CD/FMV videos but the dude has been done for a looooooooong time now. I'm actually surprised people are donating him money...hell, I'm surprised he's on Patreon quite honestly.

I met him briefly that year and he seemed nice enough but pretty socially awkward - reluctant to make eye contact, unsure how to take a compliment (e.g. "Dude, you're funny"). I'm not sure what else one would expect really, why else would the guy be into all this nerdy stuff and publicly tell everyone how he feels so alone. I can see how putting on the funny is real work for him in a way it wasn't for some of his peers, a number of whom I've found more comfortable at conventions and the like.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I love how I have waited all this time for new Spoony content and it's just an hour and a half of him ranting about the old Psionics rules from 2nd edition DnD.

Still better than nothing.

Justinh

I love how I have waited all this time for new Spoony content and it's just an hour and a half of him ranting about the old Psionics rules from 2nd edition DnD.

Sounds like something I'd want to watch, to be honest.

Holy crap, I dunno why but it surprised me that his voice was the same for some reason...

Top Bottom