• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The State of DS Homebrew (hint: It rocks. Seriously)

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Oh man.

They just released a homebrew version of Tetris Attack for the DS.

256v7h0.jpg

This game is really high quality. The graphics, sound and gamplay are spot-on. You can play it with the d-pad/buttons just like the original version or you can use the touchscreen. This game is PERFECT for touchscreen play. In the original version if you wanted to move a block several spaces to one side you had to move the bracket over it, swap, then move the bracket over, swap, etc. With the touch screen you just drag the block over as many spaces as you need quick and easy.

And now for the kicker...

ONLINE WIFI PLAY WITH UP TO FIVE PLAYERS

256veif.jpg
256vh9w.jpg

I've tried playing online but nobody else is playing it yet (this was just released less than 12 hours ago at the time I'm posting this). Hopefully it'll become more popular and there will be some good online competition soon. The developer is running his own server (just type in "ted.getmyip.com" when it asks for the server name) and the zip file includes a server program so you can run your own private server if you want.

You can read the full description of it here.
Download the ROM from here.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Wow will have to try that out, there is a whole bunch of Cool Homebrew on there.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
I just tried online again and one of the guys who programmed it was on. We played a few rounds and boy am I horrible at this game but it was really fun. You can chat between rounds too and we had some nice conversations. This may be the best DS homebrew yet.

Jonnyram

Does it use the wi-fi settings stored in your DS or have they made their own wi-fi libraries? I love the thought of using pen control for this game - I thought it needed it ever since I played the GBA rerelease.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Jonnyram said:
Does it use the wi-fi settings stored in your DS or have they made their own wi-fi libraries? I love the thought of using pen control for this game - I thought it needed it ever since I played the GBA rerelease.

If its anything else like other Homebrew it uses the wifi in your DS or custom.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Jonnyram said:
Does it use the wi-fi settings stored in your DS or have they made their own wi-fi libraries?
Yes, it uses the Wi-Fi setting stored in your DS. You just type in which server you want to play on at the prompt and you're online simple as that.

fabprems

Anyone has tried "Axe", a little musical game with the stylus ?? You can download it from DSOrganize's homebrew database. It rocks !

NotWii

Banned
VideoMan said:
Oh man.

This game is really high quality. The graphics, sound and gamplay are spot-on. You can play it with the d-pad/buttons just like the original version or you can use the touchscreen. This game is PERFECT for touchscreen play. In the original version if you wanted to move a block several spaces to one side you had to move the bracket over it, swap, then move the bracket over, swap, etc. With the touch screen you just drag the block over as many spaces as you need quick and easy.
:O
I LOOOOOOVE PANEL DE PON!!

Does it have the music from Tetris Attack/Panel De Pon?

Omg I need that Tetris Attack DS!!!

I've been trying to find someone in NZ I can get a flash thing from (saves me having to import), found this one:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/Nintendo/Nintendo-DS/auction-67295352.htm

Basically what I want to do with this thing:

- Play movies
- Play music
- DS/GBA homebrew most of all, I NEED Tetris Attack DS and all that other interesting stuff I've discovered in this thread. :lol Emulators too, yes please!
- Don't want to flash my DS

Would the stuff in that auction suffice my needs? I know Supercard probably isn't the best one but this one being local makes things a lot easier for me..... but of course I don't want to just waste money if the stuff I want isn't compatible with it.

He has the DS Lite version too (i'd be playing on DS Lite) but he mentions on the auction:
Important: SuperCard Lite insert into NDSL is very hard to plug out, it's very tight. Please plug left corner and then right corner of SuperCard Lite, it would be easy to plug out.

Is it really that bad? I don't mind the older one sticking out, it would probably bug be more if it felt really tight trying to get it out thinking i'm wrecking my DS or something. >_< But if its not thaaaaaaaaat bad i'd prefer it not sticking out obviously.

Cheers guys!

Jefklak said:
Yes, that's why I need to bump it!

Bullshit :) HW limits means no Full Throttle. You need a flashcart with removable media to support >30MB, that's all. No G6 Lite or anything. SuperCard Lite has a moonshell patcher provided with it: patch your scummvmds and you're good to go. It has been confirmed working. Luckily, day of the tentacle without sound is like... err... woman without boobs?

i hope i wont have those limits with the m3 perfect mini-sd card....

Jefklak

The M3 CF carts also reported to work, I don't know about miniSD or micro (M3 Lite when it's released)
I suppose there's a patcher somewhere, or you could even try the moonshell patcher from SuperCard. I've got the info from gbatemp.net so if you don't know, search their forums.
ichigo kurosaki: shat teh fak up! :)

There's this new 3D Engine showoff, looks funny
A new NES emulator in case the prev. ones won't work on your cart

womp

This completely owns...If you loved Tetris Attack...You'll love this, you'll eat it right up. VERY VERY nicely done! Wish I could get the online to work but that seems to be on my end.
clapping_hands.jpg

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Attention: I've just bought the M3 and I love it!

I've just finished downloading a 200 MB torrent file with every NES game on it. I can't wait to pick the games to upload.

Also, what's the best SNES emulator for the Nintendo DS? (Also, how is its compatability?)

Barf_the_Mog said:
Attention: I've just bought the M3 and I love it!

I've just finished downloading a 200 MB torrent file with every NES game on it. I can't wait to pick the games to upload.

Also, what's the best SNES emulator for the Nintendo DS? (Also, how is its compatability?)

what m3 did you got?

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
I got the SD version because I already had a 1 GB card laying around. I haven't tried any games on it yet, though. I have been trying out different skins, uploading music, and have playing some movies. (damn, the movie quality is not that great)

Barf_the_Mog said:
I got the SD version because I already had a 1 GB card laying around. I haven't tried any games on it yet, though. I have been trying out different skins, uploading music, and have playing some movies. (damn, the movie quality is not that great)

Does it stick out much from the console?you have the lite version?

NotWii

Banned
Barf_the_Mog said:
Try Moonshell, the quality is much better (audio and video)

Jefklak

Bluemercury said:
Does it stick out much from the console?you have the lite version?

The lite version is not released yet, as stated, silly one
SD is not miniSD nor microSD
It sticks out on a regular DS and it's butt ugly on a DSlite so I suggest you wait :lol

Jefklak said:
The lite version is not released yet, as stated, silly one
SD is not miniSD nor microSD
It sticks out on a regular DS and it's butt ugly on a DSlite so I suggest you wait :lol

i was asking if his console was the lite version not the card, anyway i already ordered a passcard3+m3 perfect mini-sd....

So far, it looks like compatibility is low. The two games I want to play on it, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound, both aren't fully functioal with SNES DS =/

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I wish someone would make a homebrew DS game full of touchscreen mini-games. That would be awesome!

Jefklak

The emulators are pretty... raw, indeed. NES e.d. ofc work flawlessly but megadrive/genesis even has no sound I think. the main problem on SnesDS is updates. Snezziboy ported to DS is more intresting and has regular updates. Check back in a few months and the prog will be fully featured, I can assure you :)

You know, some logic:
gbcolor: NES graphics, can't emulate
gbadvance: SNES graphics, emulates prev. (NES/GBC)
nintendo ds: N64 graphisc, emulates prev. (SNES/GEN)

Of course, offical ports like aLTTP and Mario 64 don't count :)

jgkspsx

The PSP can't even emulate SNES right (admittedly, people gave up on updating the emulator), I don't expect compatibility to be high on the DS. That music chip is hard to handle.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hmm... I had a PassMe (or whatever that thing is called) and a flash card, but those won't work on my DS Lite. All I need is a new pass-something cart so I can run homebrew again... the problem is that most of the newer carts don't appear to let you plug DS carts into them. I want to play the locked off tracks in MKDS online!

jgkspsx said:
The PSP can't even emulate SNES right (admittedly, people gave up on updating the emulator), I don't expect compatibility to be high on the DS. That music chip is hard to handle.
PSP emulates the SNES perfectly, outside of some Mode 7 effects and games with special chips built into the cart.

Jefklak

We'll see. DS has two CPU's and while one is idling in the emu-no-sound, it can be done. it's not impossible or anything. Sadly my assembler skills are not that great...

rdellw

DavidDayton said:
Hmm... I had a PassMe (or whatever that thing is called) and a flash card, but those won't work on my DS Lite. All I need is a new pass-something cart so I can run homebrew again... the problem is that most of the newer carts don't appear to let you plug DS carts into them. I want to play the locked off tracks in MKDS online!

I beleive the recently released Action Replay for DS allows you to play those tracks offline.

And that Tetris Attack looks kickass, looks like it could be a retail game.

DDayton

Drat...

I just got a Passcard3 today, and was excited by the concept of running homebrew software again...

It appears that Passcard3 + EFA = Nothing.

Arrrgh.

DDayton

Bluemercury said:
EFA?
i hope it works with the m3 perfect minisd...:S

Bah. I got a cheap 512mb EFA Linker a while back... it works great with a PassMe and my original DS.

It appears, however, that for reasons unknown to man, most DS programs refuse to run using a Passcard (version3) and an EFA Linker... the demo Donkey Konga clone runs, but nothing else.

dock

Where do you recommend buying these rewritable DS carts from?
I'm mostly interested in the DSLink and DS Extreme, but I'm curious where you are ordering these devices from in general?

Jefklak

dock UK, in UK there's supercardstore and shop01.media (very expensive)
from hong kong, most usable are hopebuy.com and psxbox.net
winsux is OK but a little bit expensive
Check out gbatemp forum sticky topic "offical list of card dealers" and good/bad experiences

And of course ebay or something like that :)

Fatalah

I just got a DSlite for my birthday this past weekend---I already own a 1gb flash card for my cellphone--I plan on using it for my Wii and DS. But how can DS play homebrew games? A mod chip necessary?

Jefklak

Fatalah said:
I just got a DSlite for my birthday this past weekend---I already own a 1gb flash card for my cellphone--I plan on using it for my Wii and DS. But how can DS play homebrew games? A mod chip necessary?

PLEASE OH PLEASE learn to read! - especially the PDF and all will be clear.
Yes, I figured it was time to bump this little thread.

ScummVM DS has been made official port now - that means there will be updates as long as the original ScummVM is updated. Wich is cooohl. They're working on Gobliins 2 right now, horray and stuff! The thing now works on max media dock carts.
There's this new intresting DS Dev-Scene Wiki-ish webpage with own (very very busy) #irc channel.
Important news: PicoDrive has been updated to 0.1.5 wich supports rom appending. This means Genesis/Megadrive emulation now works for non-removable media cartridges like G6 Lite wich do not support the FATlib! yesh! Save states have been added. This is huge people. Now if only sound would be there...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Fatalah said:

You need a passme card and a flashcart. What kind of memory card do you have? SD, Mini SD or Micro SD? The size matters since there's flashcarts that take a specific size

And no, modding is not necessary

jgkspsx

nincompoop said:
PSP emulates the SNES perfectly, outside of some Mode 7 effects and games with special chips built into the cart.
Chrono Trigger and Earthbound (both of which I own physical cartridges of, by the way) say you're wrong. And if there's an emulator that can play them with decent quality music and without horrible framerate drops, please tell me what it is.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Got my Supercard Lite yesterday. And wow. I just can't believe I missed those great features for so long.

First there's beup. This app lets me connect to msn in 10secs from the boot. It allows avatars and emoticons... and the ability to type with the keyboards or to handwrite makes it a perfect instant messaging app on the go. Killer app to remain connected on your coach when you watch TV for instance.

Batchdpg and moonshell transform the DS into a real multimedia device. Videos are much MUCH better than with my old GBA movie player. Perfect to watch animes or series, even with subtitles. And MP3s sound just as good as on my ipod.

DSOrganize at last gives us PDAs functionalities (to do list, calendar, nice picture viewer, calculator, etc.)

I used to like the DS. Well I like it twice as much now.

Just got my m3 passcard3+ m3 gbamp mini sd, but im already regretted, this thing apparentely it runs pirate roms 100% but i really wanted it for homebrew applications and the damn mini sd version has some issues related with the filesystem drivers used by m3. Most homebrew developers dont have the fatlib for SD/mSD cards and are still waiting for m3 to release them....:S, still i managed to play scummvm for now and i've been trying to run doom ds. Moonshell looks cool, but i was wondering if it was possible to create icons to attach to specific folders......anyone here with the minisd m3 version?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Bumping an old thread.

Just found this impressive new homebrew game for DS.

whee.jpg

It's probably the closest thing we're going to get to a 3D F-Zero game on the DS for a while. Right now it's pretty basic both graphically and gameplay wise. It runs really smooth though, looks like 60fps but I can't be sure.

Video (YouTube)

And the guy's web page where you can download it:

http://sivullinen.fi/nds/projects.php

jarosh

wow that looks surprisingly good.

the eurotunnel one from that page is pretty interesting too. neat idea:

Eurotunnel
This is my first game for Nintendo DS. Well, its really just a minigame but anyway. Its a 3D flying-game where you steer with the stylus and collect euros.

The levels are designed so that by playing them, you end up drawing a picture. The better you play, the better the picture will look.

eurotunnel1.jpg
eurotunnel2.jpg

I'm off for a month starting this Friday. I figure I'll give this DS homebrew stuff a shot.

Somebody tell me everything I have to buy. Bear in mind I have a spare 2GB microSD card and adapter, so if there's a solution that takes MicroSD, that'd be awesome.

Top Bottom