• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

krov87

Neo Member
Amirox had previously scammed the site for drug money and put his mom in the hospital and was still a member of the forum.

EL flat out lied about not knowing Amirox's real name, which every long term member knew was bullshit, and put out a gag order on discussion of the matter; banning anyone that tried to bring it up.

People who have been paying attention know that EL has always come off as a creepy piece of shit. And it seems he's finally cultivating a forum more in line with his real personality.

Peace out. This site is no longer something I wish to be part of.
I repeat that i dont know the full story so maybe i lack some more details.
But some people are saying they were irl friends without evidence?
He obtained his real name when he did a donation to the hospital bills of amirox's mother years ago?

No I don't agree.

I've known people who have stayed in abusive relationships, it's been a number of different reasons, mostly fear. I wouldn't then say "If you stayed with them, it couldn't have been that bad then".

The difference is that she chose to get into a relationship with him after the event. That's a different scenario to being in a relationship and then staying with that person when they do something bad to you.

That doesn’t dimisnih the assault in anyway though. It still happened!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Look up emotional abuse. What you’re saying is the kind of shit people say when a person stays in relationship with their abusers.

Getting into a relationship after a hurtful incident is a different thing than staying in one. Emotional dependency is much lower without a prior relationship and considering Evilore is not exactly a film producer, her economical dependency on him was probably negligible as well. It does not excuse what Evilore supposedly did, but it certainly is not the same thing as continuing an abusive relationship.

Typical

Banned
In this moment, one has the choice to own up to a mistake, or double down and call the victim crazy. Guess which on our dearest owner chose...

Lets be honest here, nothing he could have said would have satiated you thirst for outrage or his perceived guilt in your mind. If he done exactly as you have stated you would have crucified him for that or something else.

And the people who complain he didn't respond well enough or fast enough, nobody is prepared to deal with these kinds of overblown shit storms so stop it.

Veon

Neo Member
Politics corrupted this site and turned it into a toxic echo chamber. It hasn't been a good place to discuss games in a while. To illustrate my point, I'll ask you to consider the following.

The OT for a Hat in Time had 5 pages of replies in two weeks it was opened. It's one of the best games of the year, and nobody cared.

This shitty thread about JonTron's bit role in the game had 26 pages of replies over a two-day period before it was finally locked. That sure as fuck doesn't sound like the "Nexus of Hardcore Gaming" to me.

NeoGAF was the place to be if you wanted to jump into the dumpster fire of identity politics. If you actually wanted to talk about video games, you were better off looking elsewhere.

This forum's only chance of survival is to prevent the cancer from coming back. I know a bunch of sanctimonious bigots have left to start their own forum, but it's going to be fueled by the same toxic garbage that killed this place.

For what it's worth, those cowards didn't leave because they found out about these allegations. They left because they knew everyone else was going to find out about them. They obviously have no moral high ground, and it's only a matter of time before their new forum is enveloped in a scandal of its own. The past few years have not been kind to fake progressives so-called allies. I won't go into any details here, but let's just say that Amir0x was in good company with those guys.

Maybe no one cared about the game because no one cared?

Lol this is gamergate nonsense.

GAF was politicised though, that much is true. I bring this up again, but EviLore went on Twitter and said that GAF supports the Paris agreement. Not him, GAF. Now, I'm a supporter of the agreement and a staunch liberal at that, but when on earth did EviLore, or any admin of GAF for that matter, become a mouthpiece for my opinions?

This is a gaming forum, that supposedly prides itself on not being a hivemind and welcoming of open discourse. This is far and away from what GAF has become over the past couple of years. Off-topic especially had become especially toxic, with little room for proper discourse and varying opinions, and that nonsense leaked into gaming side, where too often there would be threads regarding social issues in the industry that ended up being echo chambers of us vs. them. That is not what this forum is about.

Bigotry and hate do not belong on this forum, but this goes for those of us on the left and those on the right end of the spectrum. EviLore and the mods should have done a far better job of keeping this in check than they did, and instead all GAF became was an insular mob who rallied to slander and bully everyone and everything that it collectively felt did not match up with the forum's consensus opinion.

I hope this changes going forward.

Lets be honest here, nothing he could have said would have satiated you thirst for outrage or his perceived guilt in your mind. If he done exactly as you have stated you would have crucified him for that or something else.

And the people who complain he didn't respond well enough or fast enough, nobody is prepared to deal with these kinds of overblown shit storms so stop it.

Wrong.

He should have just said I read the signals wrong. I fucked up.

Hate to break it to you but a lot of video games no have dealings in social and political issues. You can’t just plug your ears and demand politics free gaming.

This is true but then again it's not only about that, you can't expect people to want to talk about a game and then get shit on just because the game they like happen to have JonTron

This is what will become of GAF...

Yup

The core identity of what the site become, which is a rejection of the alt right that has plagued gaming has been thrown out for expediency.

Can't wait for the influx of people who were long since dejected and removed for their frankly horrid views pour back in under the guise of a "new" gaming focused culture.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I imagine it's to stop the mod inboxes from flooding.

We only know who one of the mods is, so I don't see how they'd get flooded.
It's really to slow the growth of spin-off sites.

ExVicis

This is so stupid. I'm someone who frequents this forum a lot and even I'm misinformed with what's actually happening. If there's any right move left, it would be Evilore actually creating a Sticky Thread where he is open to discussion about everything surrounding these troubled times. I don't feel like silencing the whole situation is a good look at all.

There was a thread with a well detailed article circling around(that was endorsed by besada ((take that as you will)) about being the closest to the truth) that detailed everything between Evillore, the Woman who made the FB post and the history leading up to the current events that have happened. Don't know where it is at the moment though.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
EviLore, at the very least your attitude absolutely stinks. I read the Waypoint article and your side of the story can be summed up as this,

"Bitch is crazy. And she wanted it anyway. Woe is me."

That fucking stinks.

I joined your forum because I thought it was pretty much the one place on the web where toxic shit like that wasn't accepted as the norm.

I'm done with this place now. I'm just one random guy, who was only a member here for a couple of years, but I want to get my opinion out there for the record. I've read some dodgy stuff in the past couple of days. The Amirox situation was handled in an appalling fashion, for example. Gaf is not what I thought it was.

Ban me, delete my account, whatever. I'm having nothing more to do with your site.

Carl

This is not a value discussion. It’s a single accusation against a person, who is trying to defend himself. Do you a) know the victim b) know to accused personally or c) know some facts about the case? If not, screaming rapist is pretty fucken stupid and so is “boys will be boys” crowd, although I haven’t seen much of it.

Personally I’d rather see what comes out of the situation and even though I didn’t think OP’s explanation was great, if he’s innocent it could’ve been a lot worse. Again, I’ve seen a person who was wrongfully accused and even though his name was cleared quite fast, he still has to hear about it. If OP is quilty , I expect the police to take care of the situation. If not, his name will be cleared but let’s be honest: it never will be even if he didn’t do a damn thing.

You put this better than I ever could have

That law also says the company can require proof you're an EU citizen before complying right? I would just stop showing up before sending my real name and address to site owners.

Can - but its a load of admin

Might aswell just comply with the request to delete the data

And if no response you can always report

OCD Guy

That doesn't dimisnih the assault in anyway though. It still happened!

I guess I'm saying that I don't think it's assault.

Him leaving immediately when asked says a lot too....

There's two ways this went down, either she flirted and gave mixed signals, or Evilore is crazy and just randomly got naked and walked into the shower. But if he was that crazy I don't think he'd leave when asked.

- J - D -

In no way is giving the select few in the position of authority (selected by the site owner under suspicion, no less) even greater power by making them completely anonymous a good thing no matter what did or didn't actually transpire.

It just feels....wrong, given gaf's history of mod power abuse. Moreso than the accusations against Neogaf's owner which I can understand reserving judgement on even if I don't particularly agree with that action.

If you're removing OT and political discussion, why do the mods need more power?

You know how this looks, don't you?

don't you?

I don't know what else to say.

Maedre

Banned
If you didn't pick up on the emotional abuse and dismissal then I give up. Calling some unstable and shit is not owning up.
I did pick this up. She should have left him in the dirt when it happened. EviLore seems like a jerk. He should work on the way he treats women, people in general.

They were in a realtionship after that. They should have talked about it in private and sort it out.

Dude also DELETED THE ENTIRE MESSAGE BOARD before saying anything. Think about that. In your world of evidence that would be a highly suspect move.

Shouting doesn't make your points more valid. Sure. He deactivated the offtipic. Not the best way to handle this situation. I know another forum where this way was used to tone down the rage. Didn't work and so is here.

But a "highly suspect move" doesn't make him what you want him to be.

I will not comment on this topic anymore. There are to many emotions involved here.

Yeah, that's clearly the issue.

Pretending the current hostile political environment hasn't infiltrated gaming is turning a blind eye to gaming culture, which is an inherently part of gaming.

of course, the same people who want to complain about Jon Tron being called out are the first to bitch about a developer talking about having a person of color or a LGBT character designed around that identity.

How many times do we have to hear, "I don't care what color/sex/orientation they are but..."

It's a joke, the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater.

She didn't stay in a relation with her abuser, looks like she jumped in a fresh one which to me makes no sense .

I mean, honestly, people do a lot of shit druken. She probably thought it was just that, but by all means by the course of their relationship maybe she realized otherwise. There's not really any basis to discret her for that, unless we make a throughout case, which we won't because this is NeoGaf, where this should not be discussed or be passing any judgement at all

I have read most of this thread. Am not really sure what I think. There is a lot to consider. Am keeping my powder dry for now. This situation has a long way to run till we start to see a light at the end of the tunnel yet.

krov87

Neo Member
Yes he's the owner of the site. And also, this from one of the mods:

Not cool imo. It is how things are handled.
I think i've read that statement(not sure if the post i read is the statement).
And i dont see the problem with it.
Mods were expecting a more agressive statement because they feared the community were aggresive towards them if not?
In my opinion that means that the community overreacts a lot and need to to take things more calmly.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I agree but on the other end should people who stay be branded as personality cultist?

I have no problem with people leaving for any reason, but it’s sad the community fractured and now tribal name calling is appearing.

Again these issues have been festering for a while now. The recent blowup just exposed some long term frustrations.
I don't think anyone is an EviLore cultist TBH.

I think people are addicted to the experience of GAF (I am) and they want to stick to what they know... which I understand. I just think the thing we want to cling to might be dead already.

Trust me I could wax with you in a sometime about how this drama has exposed a lot of hypocrisy and we'd have a laugh about how it all went down. I just don't think the current regime-holders are the victors in this exposure....

I'd sincerely like to ask the people who are leaving the forums why they haven't done so already a long time ago? We have known about allegations of sexual misconduct against Evilore for a long time, his post history clearly shows he has a pretentious, narcissistic and generally unlikable personality and his moderation approach left a lot to be desired.

While I might not respect the owner of these forums, the community on the gaming side was more or less excellent which is why I stayed. Which is also the reason why I am not abandoning ship (yet).

Logash

I honestly don't know if I believe him or not but personally, that's not my issue right now. I have a real problem with the mob culture we have these days. If these allegations are true then there should definitely be some consequences but what if they aren't? Like I don't understand why it's okay for people to attack someone with such conviction with out even knowing how true this is. Make no mistake, I am not blaming the accuser, no one should attack her either and I don't believe in the term "Social Justice Warrior" but is it really okay to destroy someone's reputation without knowing for sure if something is real or not? I used to think I was a hardcore liberal and honestly I very much still consider myself liberal but what happened to common sense? What happened to innocent until proven guilty? I mean if I was a public figure someone could just say I did something terrible and what? My reputation is gone? It's such a scary thought and I just don't understand it. Is this what getting old feels like?

Ok now that the dust has settled here's my 2 cents, FWIW:

I want to separate the accusation from the way the whole situation was handled . I wasn't online when the whole thing blew up, and I'm really frustrated at how it was handled. Taken the entire site offline, with no explanation - on site or social media - is just piss poor, make the forum read-only or at a bare minimum a simple html page. Took over a day just to get something back to normal. I think the community - and right now that's the most important thing - deserved better. And the OT post and the Waypoint article aren't exactly reassuring TBH.

The community will probably never be the same, in particular PoliGAF, let's see what comes out of the new administration, but the community wasn't the main priority in all this mess.

Exis

I have been here since Gaming-Age, mostly lurk but without OT I won't be around much anymore and I have come here pretty much daily donated from time to time etc.

zenspider

You're proving everyone's point. Any dissenting opinion is labelled as "GamerGate" or some other catch-all term as if that's a good argument.

This is a really, really dangerous us vs. them mentality that leads to the formation of echo chambers. It's building a wall between communities instead of trying to reason with others, and sometimes one just needs to accept that not everybody is going to share your opinion.

This. I'm scared to share my opinion because I would either be labeled GG or SJW.

Couleurs

Yup

The core identity of what the site become, which is a rejection of the alt right that has plagued gaming has been thrown out for expediency.

Can't wait for the influx of people who were long since dejected and removed for their frankly horrid views pour back in under the guise of a "new" gaming focused culture.

Yeah, it was nice having what might have been the only heavily trafficked gaming forum that wasn't flooded with alt-right/GamerGater dipshits. While there were obviously various issues with moderation that I can understand people complaining about, it was good to know that anyone flipping out about racist/sexist/homophobic shit was about to get banned.

Neogaf is pretty much having a civil war right now with the old mods and old content creators asking for banme's and waiting for ResetEra, some middling posters moving to *******, Slaent or Vice. Other posters like myself are kind of waiting and seeing but it'll be interesting to see which websites get boosted to the top or if they all fail and Discord replaces forums entirely like it has been doing for awhile now, after it was done eating the corpse of IRC.

From an Internet History perspective it's basically Forum vs Forum vs Discord and it's not really Evilore's actions that caused this, Discord vs Forums has been a long time coming but it's just come early because of the Gaf Civil War.

The Pope

Well.....

I feel evilore was subject to gross exaggeration even if the allegations are true. There was no rape or anything of the sort. Even if it is true alcohol can severely hamper people's judgement. Not an excuse, but people do make mistakes.

Glad the forum is back, but think it is an error of judgement to remove the off topic, doesn't help the perception of the board. I think just employ a few extra temporary mods to police the OT section. Also do not ban civil discussion on the issue. Rather endure it as hard for you as it may be, Evilore.

And whilst it may seem hypocritical to start now, witch-hunts for people should be firmly controlled.

Flintty

I think anonymous moderators is a good move. Avoiding mod ‘personalities’ which can have a tendency to breed egotism and megalomania. Plus protecting moderators from pile ons and abuse. Win/win.

Gone are the days of championing mods for a culling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom