• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Student Who Beat the Revolution

Matlock

Banned
http://www.gamesfirst.com/index.php?id=1110

Sitting opposite Sony's PS3 theater in the corner of this year's Asia Game Show & DEE Asia in Hong Kong is a controller that will change the game industry. The design project's creator, a recent graduate of the School of Creative Media in Hong Kong named Addi Lam, calls it a senior design project.

But Nintendo calls it a revolution.

http://img507.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1135879805img118935vc.jpg

Long story short, he made a controller that works via tilting, and the game he designed for it is a marble-based game. Very interesting stuff...Pebbles is to the Revolution, kinda like what Pong was to the first consoles. :D

fugimax

The technology in the Revolution's controller is trivial. It's identifying the combination of the technologies (as Nintendo did) and identifying applications (as Nintendo is) that are the true Revolution.

epmode

fugimax said:
The technology in the Revolution's controller is trivial. It's identifying the combination of the technologies (as Nintendo did) and identifying applications (as Ninteno is) that are the true Revolution.
Reggie?

fugimax

I suppose what I meant by saying that is..

In academia, doing crazy innovative stuff IS the norm (at least where I went), so I am use to seeing it. I can't count on my fingers how many cool projects I saw that I know will one day be products...and that's just one school.

In fact, most consumer products start in government or academia. Academia is extremely cheap R&D for a large number of companies.

Damn, I thought this thread would be about a college student beating a Revolution controller with a golf club or something.

This thread sucks.

Xrenity

The Revolution Controller is a total package.

What a crappy story.
Microsoft had gyro's in one of their controllers...

Matlock, you're one crazy mofo.

Zaptruder

Banned
If by beat the revolution, you meant designed something with superficial similarities around the same time as Nintendo was refining their revolution control product, then I suppose you're right.

Priz

Back in 1995, a friend who worked at Sega asked me to give Sony at Winter CES the details on the "surprise" E3 launch of the Saturn. He got screwed over by his bosses and it was a little revenge I was helping him with.

I go see another friend and he's really pissed at me because I'm going to talk to Sony. (Even though we were friends since High School in the late 80's, he was so pissed about the Sony thing he stopped talking to me not too long after that. I don't really get it, but ok.) This guy isn't going to E3, but Sony just ruined his company and they were going to enter a legal battle with them. One of the founders of his company is the main guy behind Tempest (the Atari arcade game, I don't remember the guy's name). This guy helped design a type of gyroscope that didn't need lubrication, made out of plastic, really small but accurate and such. It was very revolutionary at the time for gyro tech. WTF does this have to do with SCEA? Anyway, Sony made this really huge deal about how amazing this gyroscope tech was and expressed interest in purchasing this small startup company so the company went and had meetings and showed Sony all their tech. At the time I spoke to him, Sony passed on the tech but one of the companies they own was releasing I think it was a digital camera with the gyroscope inside to tilt the picture or something. I can't remember, it's been 10 years. They were convinced Sony stole the tech and hated them and hated me for being interested in the PS and going to talk to SCEA because some other part of Sony screwed them over. (their products were being used mainly in revolution controller-sized mice for business presentations.)

Went to SCEA and had to waste most of a day waiting for the meeting to help out a good friend. They fit me in at the end of another group's meeting and I'm listening to them talk about the features of the PS1 to these developers and the guy giving the demo says "You guys know we have some really amazing stuff in the works for this new console. One of the things is a flight controller unlike anything you've seen before. It's shaped like a little bird and you hold it in your hand and move it as you'd like a plane to move and the little plastic gyroscope inside...." and I said "Oh shit!" (I was thinking it and just blurted it out) as the realization that this product was about to die due to the lawsuit from my friend's company was going to kill this product. I never told any of them the story about my friend/the lawsuit, people just thought I was blown away by the product or something. :)

If anyone's claiming this kid made a gyroscope and Nintendo "stole" it... (didn't read the article, but I'm going by others comments) I'll be the first to call Shenannigans due to the story above. :) Nintendo isn't the first game company to make something with a tiny gyroscope inside.

Matlock

Banned
priz said:
too much to quote

Interesting story!

Priz said:
If anyone's claiming this kid made a gyroscope and Nintendo "stole" it... (didn't read the article, but I'm going by others comments) I'll be the first to call Shenannigans due to the story above. :) Nintendo isn't the first game company to make something with a tiny gyroscope inside.

There's no claim of them stealing it, it's just a kid that made a tilt-based marble game and a site that's pointing out how cool it is.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
fugimax said:
I suppose what I meant by saying that is..

In academia, doing crazy innovative stuff IS the norm (at least where I went), so I am use to seeing it. I can't count on my fingers how many cool projects I saw that I know will one day be products...and that's just one school.

In fact, most consumer products start in government or academia. Academia is extremely cheap R&D for a large number of companies.

Yep.

Those crazy robotic dogs you see in toy stores? They're developed by students at the University of Minnesota.

Top Bottom