• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WIRED: Mark Cerny - The American Who Designed the PlayStation 4 and Remade SONY

Over those years, Cerny grew close to the company, but it wasn’t always smooth going. The book All Your Base Are Belong to Us: How 50 Years of Videogames Conquered Pop Culture recounts a moment at the E3 gaming conference in the ’90s when Cerny was nearly reduced to tears by a 45-minute tirade from Ken Kutaragi, the father of the PlayStation, who didn’t see much future in Crash Bandicoot. “Ken is a very intense person,” Cerny says.

please tell me there is a video of this on the Internet.

good old crazy Ken Kutaragi

Over those years, Cerny grew close to the company, but it wasn’t always smooth going. The book All Your Base Are Belong to Us: How 50 Years of Videogames Conquered Pop Culture recounts a moment at the E3 gaming conference in the ’90s when Cerny was nearly reduced to tears by a 45-minute tirade from Ken Kutaragi, the father of the PlayStation, who didn’t see much future in Crash Bandicoot. “Ken is a very intense person,” Cerny says.

Kind of a dick though.

Lime

ikyNvzTAxQCnQ.gif

Someone tweet this to Cerny and yosp

/dead

I am just imaging trying to explain this to someone else. You see, there is this guy Mark Cerny and his voice....and this clip of Antonio Banderas....and ah fuck it.

:lol

Terrell

Isn't Cerny also responsible for Vita?
I mean, it's not that PS4 isn't well designed, but it might be a bit premature to canonize the man as the savior of the PlayStation.

Tml Matus

Banned
I mean, it's not that PS4 isn't well designed, but it might be a bit premature to canonize the man as the savior of the PlayStation.
ever use a vita? the thing is amazingly fast and the games aren't that bad either.

Sakura

He may have designed the PS4, but I think saying he remade Sony is going a bit too far. After all, he was given these prominent roles by other people in Sony was he not?

But I thought Cerny was...

1305.gif

Neh, dude is just softspoken, he's been smarter than 90% of the population since he could talk.

Whatever you say Ken did still make playstation

Agreed, despite his madness towards the end of his time with Sony.

I moderated a panel at GDC a few years ago that had Mark Cerny on it. I tried to impress him by showing him my custom Marble Madness ringtone. I don't think it worked.

You will probably be receiving a call about this..you will instantly recognize the soft soothing voice on the other end of the line. like butter melted butter floating over the surface of a bowl of honey.

tazz3

This guy saved the Playstaton brand,if crazy ken was still there the ps4 would have 5 cell CPUs and cost 1000 dollars lol.

Well, the vita hardware and os is pretty damn amazing. It's failure is more attributed to very aggresive nintendo and sony failure to secure some third party software like monhun. They think third party will go multiplatform for portables like ps360 so monhun will come to them too. They don't count on nintendo being super aggresive in securing exclusives

Jabba

Banned
Plus, as a game designer himself it makes sense he plays games on other consoles - to check out the competition, get ideas, and so on.

"We see rumble as a last-gen feature."

God, Sony circa 2006 were so bad; their whole PR angle was just awful. Again, it's remarkable how similar the whole Xbone mess has been up until now. I even remember Insomniac going out of their way to claim that Blu-ray was absolutely necessary because they'd filled up something like 19GB of space on the disc with Resistance: Fall of Ham.

So true and the threads on GAF were the same then as now.

DPtheGod

lol @ the gifs.

I hope Sony has a reign similar to how they did for the PS2. Mostly because some of the best games came out during the PS2 era. Some freakin' epic games came out during the PS1 era as well, though. PS3 has had some very strong entries, but gaming felt more nurtured back then.

Maybe Cerny can do it!

stryke

Vita's problem extends far beyond how the system was technically designed. Unless you're saying developers don't see a market for the PS4 and therefore won't develop for it.

Terrell

Well, the vita hardware and os is pretty damn amazing. It's failure is more attributed to very aggresive nintendo and sony failure to secure some third party software like monhun. They think third party will go multiplatform for portables like ps360 so monhun will come to them too. They don't count on nintendo being super aggresive in securing exclusives
Yet if it was designed under the similar philosophy of easy to design games with 3rd party input, you'd think that, y'know, more 3rd parties would give a shit about it. It''a the oft-cited reason that 3rd parties abandoned Nintendo because they didn't design with them in mind, so you'd think that the reverse of that would be true for Vita. But it's still severely slim pickings right now.

So... as I said, a good designed system doesn't a "turnaround" make, as this article implies.
lol @ the gifs.

I hope Sony has a reign similar to how they did for the PS2. Mostly because some of the best games came out during the PS2 era. Some freakin' epic games came out during the PS1 era as well, though. PS3 has had some very strong entries, but gaming felt more nurtured back then.

Maybe Cerny can do it!
It's never going to happen again. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Yet if it was designed under the similar philosophy of easy to design games with 3rd party input, you'd think that, y'know, more 3rd parties would give a shit about it. It''a the oft-cited reason that 3rd parties abandoned Nintendo because they didn't design with them in mind, so you'd think that the reverse of that would be true for Vita. But it's still severely slim pickings right now.

So... as I said, a good designed system doesn't a "turnaround" make, as this article implies.

It's never going to happen again. Sorry to burst your bubble.

ha ha, flimsy rebuttal, the only bubble that needs bursting is the one you're living in.

Terrell

ha ha, flimsy rebuttal, the only bubble that needs bursting is the one you're living in.

It's quite clear that 3rd parties have shifted the way they do business, and going back to this golden age he is suggesting would require reverting to a business model that NO ONE seems to want to be part of anymore. Unless you can point out to me a shift in attitudes from 3rd-parties that show they're not all trying to chase the AAA shooter golden goose or any of the other faulty bullshit business models they're all chasing after that would indicate a return to PS2-era business is remotely possible.

Top Bottom