• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Furry Animals DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got it yesterday, and the documentary part of it is way better than I would've expected. Honestly, I think I like the band even more now that I've watched it. Sure, a lot of it is just them smoking pot and stuff, but they're so cool and nice. The way it's edited, they make it seem like there are tons of SFA fans in America.

Buy it. It has 21 music videos. Everyone, go to your record store and purchase this:

B00077BPDC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Mifune

Mehmber
Their videos are pretty awesome. Haven't checked out the doc yet.

This helped erase the bad taste left by Worlds Apart.

I hadn't seen like 14 or 15 of the videos, so it was definitely a lot of fun for me. Some of the videos though, namely "If You Don't Want Me to Destroy You" and "Demons", were a little creepy in the way they photographed Gruff. At moments, I felt like I was watching a 98 Degrees video. Were they trying to push him as a sex icon or something?

The documentary is a little incoherent, but I'm telling you, they look like the most fun people in the entire world.

---

Outcast, they're this eclectic pop band from Wales that's been making awesome, crazy music since about 1995. Their style is very frenetic, and there is an emphasis on electronic experimentation and noise on a lot of their music. To me, they're the best thing modern music has going for it.

I'm short changing them by saying their music is all frenetic and crazy, as the majority of their last album was a very sobering look at the world in its current state, and a lot of their usual flourishes were subdued. Their style is all over the place. That's why I can pretty much listen to SFA any day of the week and never tire of their sound.

Pretty much, they're just awesome. Some of their songs are the catchiest things I have ever heard, while others are just complex and intelligent in a really special way.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/superfurryanimals/phantompower

Check those reviews out. Honestly, I didn't know the album was so well-received. This is the first time I've looked at that. I guess if you read a couple you'll get a good idea of their recent stuff.

I must note, though, that you can't fully appreciate them until you see them live. Their show is fucking loud, incredible, and fun.

nerd4tx.jpg
(from the DVD)

I can't believe some nerd brought celery and an SFAOK license plate to the show. Sometimes I think I'm going overboard by simply praising a band, and then I see freaks like him. Although the SFAOK license plate idea is kind of fun. Isn't there a guy who posts here under that name?

Pug

Gruff and the lads have got houses in the Bay area of Cardiff (Caerdydd in Welsh), just down the raod from me. They are really nice to talk and are completly focused on there music, they really really take it seriously. They are exceptional live and the Phantom Power gig they did in Cardiff was the best gig I have seen bar My Bloody Valentine (what a night that was) the song Slow Life was just amazing. They take a bit of figuring out but stick with its well worth it.

whoa, these are the real videos? this is mine. Just gotta find a place in this town that sells it. And hell bells, how many times have I told you SFA is popular as fuck all?

I second or third or whateverd the love, SFA is amazing. Can't go wrong with any of their stuff really, especially Phantom Power.

And I think SFAOK is oblivious, or at least seemed that way when someone asked iirc.

Yeah, REAL videos this time. None of that DVD-only stuff.

And Son, I've changed my mind on Of Montreal. They're pretty much as close to pop perfection as it gets. I can see myself becoming a total fanboy in a couple years if they keep it up.

That's awesome you live near them and that they're actually nice, Pug. This guy on another forum I visit said he has Gruff's couch or something, and that it's completely covered in burn marks from all the smoking the band does.. I know, that's not very impressive. But it made me laugh.

Do you speak Welsh? I don't really know much about the language, or where in Wales it is spoken. I think I read that the band primarily speaks Welsh, though.

Pug

Welsh is spoken all over Wales and still is the first Laungage for about 30% of the population. The main speaking areas are the west and north of wales but thers plenty of speakers all over. I can understand most conversation in welsh and can get by but I'm certaintly not a fluent speaker.

"noswaith dda" good evening.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
I've been checking the band out, after hearing all the good things about them, mainly from you, bell wood, and I am extremely pleased. Thanks a bunch for the recommendation. What did it for me was when you compared them to the Beatles and Pink Floyd, which are my two favorite bands. So far, I've been listening to Fuzzy Logic, Radiator, and Guerrila, and they rank in that order from favorite to least favorite.

That's great that you like Fuzzy Logic. I always feel like people will overlook it, but the fact is, it's really great, fun music. As you move up to their newer stuff, the sounds are a bit more complex, but still familiar. I'm glad I could get someone into them, needless to say.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Probably my favorite part about them, and I think you touched upon this a bit, too, is how they don't take themselves too seriously. Probably my biggest pet peeve in music is all of these stupid bands trying to be deep or emotional or smart in their music, which totally makes everything sound cheesy and hard to listen to. That's why bands like the Pixies and the Beatles are at the top of my list, because they can write some damn good music, without it being about anything serious. As I listen to them more often and hear all of their newer stuff, SFA may move up there to the top of my list for the same reasons.

People just need to lighten up with their music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom