• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge 2 screenshots

Mista

Banned
Surge-2_04-12-19.jpg

Overview of the game, via Focus Home Interactive:
After the success of The Surge, the hardcore action RPG released in May 2017 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC, Focus Home Interactive and Deck13 Interactive are happy to announce the renewal of their partnership and the development of The Surge 2, with a release date planned for 2019 on consoles and PC.

The Surge 2 keeps what fans and critics loved about the original – hardcore combat utilizing a unique, dynamic limb targeting system and deep character progression – while also expanding greatly upon the formula. The Surge 2 takes place in a brand new environment: a sprawling, devastated city with larger and more ambitious level design, made possible by Deck13 Interactive’s upgraded and improved engine. Combat is more brutal and tactical than ever, with even more options thanks to an expanded limb targeting system. In addition, more abilities, weapons, implants, and drones give players a vast arsenal to build their character with, in their fight against the array of diverse new enemies and bosses.

Gematsu

Fbh

I didn't like the Surge (despite being a Souls fan the combat just didn't click with me).
But those shots look cool

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Looks great. Needs more insect/multi-legged armor, subaqautic environments, winter/snow areas, horrific bots which collect various anatomy of human folk. Also, that tornado butthole thing in the sky looks kinda "generic" too, as stated by Agent_4Seven Agent_4Seven . I'd change that to a massive burning ship, plunged into the ground or something. Hopefully those trees are destructable as well.

Mr Hyde

Thought the Surge was the best effort in terms of Souls-like and a huge improvement from Lords of the Fallen. This sequel looks really good and I am very excited about it. The screenshots look great. Saw a video last year that was also pretty impressive. I think this game can actually compete with Souls head on. I do hope it comes with character customization this time instead of a fixed character. So much more fun to build your own avatar plus the guy in the original was pretty dull.

Ywap

Here's another fan of the first game. The sequel will rock almost as hard as Embrace my Scars by Dreamtale :D

Vawn

Banned
Did anyone else expect to see two screenshots of the first The Surge? I didn't know there was a sequel coming.

It seems generic and tough to get into at first. However, once you learn the combat and the upgrade system, it's extremely satisfying. I got as much enjoyment out of it as any of the Souls games. By far, the best of the Souls wannabes.

Codes 208

The first game has a lot of Souls inspiration but one major flaw: It was clunky.

Here’s hoping 2 is a huge improvement because I liked the concept.

Skyr

Even tho I really liked the setting of the surge, something about the game didn’t click with me. The combat tried to be souls-like but just didn’t feel that good.

Ivory Blood

Why again are there no guns in a futuristic setting with cybernetics and advanced lifelike robots? Beside the obvious gameplay related reasons.

WindomURL

Why again are there no guns in a futuristic setting with cybernetics and advanced lifelike robots? Beside the obvious gameplay related reasons.
There aren’t guns in the first one either, but there are drones that allow for at-distance aggro. As for the actual story reason? If there was one given, I don’t recall.

Sejan

In the first game, the gear you were using was generally not intended to be used as weapons as far as the lore went. It was all cybernetic gear that was intended to help in the workplace environment. For example, the exoskeleton and attachments may have been originally used to give the workers more strength to move heavy stuff throughout the facility.

The exoskeletons were also marketed for the disabled to give them mobility again. The main character of The Surge actually started in a wheelchair.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Cuz of piss poor devs who keep using the same shitty engine which looks like crap and they can't afford (or don't care to) to pay for UE4 / CryEngine etc. Hell, Lords of the Fallen looks miles better than any The Surge game and it performs a lot better too.

GymWolf

Cuz of piss poor devs who keep using the same shitty engine which looks like crap and they can't afford (or don't care to) to pay for UE4 / CryEngine etc. Hell, Lords of the Fallen looks miles better than any The Surge game and it performs a lot better too.
The first surge is one of the most optimized game on console and pc and you can have poor performance games even on ue4 (days gone being the worst offender), same with cry engine.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Oh what, it runs bad on X? I watched a video of the Pro version and saw no dips in the short time played. This is mega disappointing.

I don’t understand how devs screw up this badly. It’s not like it was in the 360/ps3 days. The X/Pro are essentially near as damn it the same only one is more powerful.

Geki-D

Banned
Before I jump into the first game on Now, is it actually worth playing? I've played 2 games that remind me of Souls games recently and I've been really frustrated by them. Darksiders 3 (I played on apocalyptic) was a pain to level up in. beyond a point enemies becomes worthless unless you pretty much run the whole game world and bosses don't drop any souls (they also scale) so you can only level through lurchers.

The other is Vampyr (which I played on hard and really regretted doing so) which isn't all that much like a Souls game but level design reminds me of it and it features a leveling system (also enemies scale, yay...). Enemies are worthless in terms of exp, quests are pretty much worthless too. The only way to really level up is to do an evil playthrough and kill every civilian. Got to a part near the end where you can't get access to any more civilians and I didn't feed on them all beforehand... And the last boss is 10 levels above me and utterly shreds me. So with no way to actually level up anymore, I'm fucked.

So is The Surge actually like a good Souls game or is a frustrating, pale, unfair imitation?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Neither of those games you mentioned are what I would say are souls games. You’re looking for games like Sekiro, Unchained, Lords of the Fallen, and yes, The Surge.

The first is absolutely worth playing. It was a fantastic little game that gives as much as you’re willing to put in.

Souls games aren’t for everybody mind you. Hand holding, easy gameplay and checkpoints this is not. Take it slow, take t steady, and know that every single encounter you win, is one step toward an upgrade... unless you die and lose it all, it which case haha.

Geki-D

Banned
Neither of those games you mentioned are what I would say are souls games. You’re looking for games like Sekiro, Unchained, Lords of the Fallen, and yes, The Surge.
Darksiders 3 was at least trying to ape the Souls style to a degree. It pretty much ripped off the soul collecting, drop souls after death game design which wasn't in the first 2 games. It reminds me of a amateur, bedroom made attempt where you get the feeling the guy who made it knows what he's aiming for but doesn't understand the concept enough to properly implement it. Like in Dreams you'll play a first person game and the mechanics are there, the level looks good but you can tell the person who made it doesn't understand level design enough to know that the correct path has to be clearer than some generic scenic piece. So you get parts of the scenery that look like paths but aren't and the main path is obscure and just looks like a blocked off scenic element.

Vampyr isn't a Souls game, however. I was just massively annoyed by the leveling system and how the devs decided you could and couldn't level.

Good to know The Surge is more like a real Souls, game though. I have beaten Souls 1 & 3 along with Bloodborne, Demon's Souls & Lords of the Fallen . I'll be glad if Surge is more like those and less like Darksiders 3.

xool

Game looks good - but they had already mastered full PBR on the first - I think they subcontract a lot of the graphics too (maybe)..

No review thread ?

I couldn't get into the first - one reason was the limb targeting that seemed arbitrary - attacks still seemed to just generally mash in the direction of whoever no matter what limb was targeted .. lack of real feedback, animation unchanged (compare limb targeting in MG:Rising ..) [correct me]

Also still locking on - from the hated Kotaku :

The Surge 2 Is A Bit Of A Mess, But I Can't Stop Playing

Combat feels best in one-on-one scenarios, but The Surge 2 likes to populate its winding levels with numerous enemies. Fighting multiple opponents strains the combat systems to the breaking point. This is a game made for locking on to enemies, be it to target limbs or to carefully parry attacks. Turn the corner into an alleyway with three speedy enemies and an arsehole with a machine gun, and that’ll undermine everything. Games like Dark Souls reward players for fighting without the tunnel vision of locking on, but The Surge 2 is built around that. As a result, some fights devolve into fracasses that are comedic when they’re not frustrating.

Why do games still think hard lock is a good idea (clue - it isn't) - it's contrary to immersion in most settings, and like the article - fucks up royally when more than 1 enemy.

But yeah Souls did it so I suppose we should copy that..

Still looking forward to Lords of the Fallen 2 though.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I just watched a long vid of launch day Xbox one x code in quality mode and the performance seemed totally fine to me. Certainly nowhere near zelda LA levels.

However one thing I’ve seen in every video, including Pro, is that the textures refuse to load. I’m talking early days unreal engine bad. I just watched one guy play for a solid 10 minutes with his character never ONCE loading its textures correctly. How is that still a thing in 2019?

Sadly I have to wait until this evening to play it.

I just watched a long vid of launch day Xbox one x code in quality mode and the performance seemed totally fine to me. Certainly nowhere near zelda LA levels.

However one thing I’ve seen in every video, including Pro, is that the textures refuse to load. I’m talking early days unreal engine bad. I just watched one guy play for a solid 10 minutes with his character never ONCE loading its textures correctly. How is that still a thing in 2019?

Sadly I have to wait until this evening to play it.
X1x performance mode is not too bad but the pro performance mode is janky as
has some really weird stutter in parts

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
you can have poor performance games even on ue4 (days gone being the worst offender), same with cry engine.
True, but at least they would have looked way better to justify insane requirements for 1440p 60 on max settings..... damn, for 1080p 60 even.

GymWolf

True, but at least they would have looked way better to justify insane requirements for 1440p 60 on max settings..... damn, for 1080p 60 even.
Fair point.

I'm probably gonna wait a performance patch because i don't wanna waste my run with poor performance, i have greedfall and noita to keep me occupied.

Sejan

Does anyone know how to access the preorder gear in game. I got a pop up that it was available, but have no idea where to look for it.

GymWolf

Does anyone know how to access the preorder gear in game. I got a pop up that it was available, but have no idea where to look for it.
Is the preorder bonus only valid for steam purchases? Or do i get one even if i bought the key in an external site?

Top Bottom