• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

The Executive Forum is one of the nicer-looking areas in the game and then the entire place is utterly jam-packed with enemies. And then
even MORE spawn after the story scene. And there doesn't seem to be an Ops anywhere, I finally found a shortcut back to the security area.
It's just out of control and squandering the combat.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Executive Forum is one of the nicer-looking areas in the game and then the entire place is utterly jam-packed with enemies. And then
even MORE spawn after the story scene. And there doesn't seem to be an Ops anywhere, I finally found a shortcut back to the security area.
It's just out of control and squandering the combat.

I didn't mind when I was able to cash in like 250K worth of scrap but yeah it can be pretty insane with how many enemies there are.

I finished it. 17 hours, used that chainsaw sword almost the whole time.

People complain about the number of bosses, but they were all exceedingly average so I do not at all mind how few there were. Final boss was not particularly great. It felt like a Dark Souls 2 boss with the wacky hitboxes and constantly hitting you with backswings.

The combat I feel has issues with feedback. It's too hard to tell when an enemy is staggered or when an attack is going to stagger, and the enemies are not very well-balanced. The humanoid enemies are all fine, but as soon as something else comes up, they just don't get it right. They have confusing attacks, a ton of health, and do far too much damage, to the point I never defeated even one of those chunky enemies at the end of the game because they would do that combo and kill me instantly, so I ran right past them. You know what I'm talking about. The hitsounds are great, so the combat at least feels good throughout. The limb targeting doesn't feel integrated enough. There are maybe one or two enemies whose limbs can be meaningfully broken, and the rest of the time it just serves as a way to get materials. At least the drops are guaranteed as long as you cut the part, much better I think than farming.

Game could have made better use of its themes and technology. Even though
transforming nanotechnology
is a huge part of the story, there are no weapons that make use of it. Weapons that are able to transform between attacks would have been great, especially because the effect used for the
nanites
looks really cool. The surgery scene at the beginning seemed to have no purpose other than shock value, and the following scene waking up in a junkyard would have established "something went wrong" just fine. The game tries to be cryptic but also wants to tell the story, and it ends up mainly being vague enough to be confusing and make you feel like you missed some major plot point.

Just okay overall. It feels very 7/10. I'll do some more to try other weapons and NG+, then moving on to Nioh and Bloodborne.

Toe-Knee

Just got the the third boss.

I totally did not see it coming and got smashed with ~80k yeah scrap whilst looking around haha.

If best be on top of my game when I go back to it tonight so as not to lose it.

Doing a staff playthrough and doing pretty well. But I got the Spitfire Rod 2.0 and does it actually have any fire attacks? The Firebug Throttle had at least 2 unique attacks, so I don't see why this boss weapon wouldn't, especially given its name.

Toe-Knee

Just beat black cerberus far easier than I expected after big sister which really had me stuck for a while.

Just took 3or4 deaths at the worst figuring out his move set. He

The executive forum however is a bit of a bugger had to respec in favour of stamina so I can do a lot of blocking and countering.

I'm enjoying this more than dark souls so far still not quite up to Bloodborne though.

Calabi

This game is great. I'm near the end I think. Got all the amour sets I think, including the mouse armour. Just not sure which ones to max. I like the Chyrsalis it seems good for farming. Scarab seems good for bosses.

Toe-Knee

Right I just left the executive area.

is that the last I hear from or see of sally? I feel like there should be more there?

Calabi

Well I dont often complete games, but when I do, I make it The Surge. Really good game, endings a bit meh, but thats whatever. Not sure I entirely understand what is going on, but maybe that is for the sequel.

I much prefer it to Dark Souls, I like the Scifi aesthetic. Good maze like levels and a solid risk reward combat system.

psychotron

Beat the game last night. Great game overall and it showed me I can handle a Souls type game without needing to summon help. The last area was the toughest for me because it was complex in structure, and hard to explore due to the huge amount of enemies. Bosses were mostly pretty simple after figuring out patterns. I got lucky on the
Big Sister
fight. I just ran past the arms and stood to the side pummeling the face and body. First attempt win, lol. Might try NG+. Is it harder or easier?

Also HDR is great in this game.

This is such a good game. Just beat it. Fantastic.

I missed out on the ironmaus armor, though even though I got all the shiny coins. Going to get that in a second playthrough.

What weapons are people specifically fond of? Is the
one you get for beating the final boss any good on a second playthrough?

h0tp0ck3t

What weapons are people specifically fond of? Is the
one you get for beating the final boss any good on a second playthrough?

the mimetic edge is ok.the claws of gestalt are awesome as hell though. r1 attacks use the sword while r2 attacks use the claw so it's like two weapons in one.

Seeing this on sale now at Steam for half off. I played the demo and performance was kinda ok at best.

I have a 970, 16gb ram, and an i7-6700. The framerate felt kinda all over the place in the demo and it seemed like turning stuff down had a minimal effect. Is it just the game engine, the demo, or does this game require more than it says for higher settings?

uceenk

i just played the demo on PS4, first 20 minutes feel so bored, but after that the combat was pretty challenging at times

it was a bit addictive but when i finally killed the enemy, it didn't feel as satisfying as Bloodborne

so the gameplay is ok i guess
crafting/upgrade system is alright
i like the weapon variety, ranging from slow and fast weapons

however the environment feel bland, so don't expect something awesome on graphic department

not worth to buy this at full price imo, i will probably buy later once the price drop to $20

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
i just played the demo on PS4, first 20 minutes feel so bored, but after that the combat was pretty challenging at times

it was a bit addictive but when i finally killed the enemy, it didn't feel as satisfying as Bloodborne

however the environment feel bland, so don't expect something awesome on graphic department

not worth to buy this at full price imo, i will probably buy later once the price drop to $20

The first area is by and far the weakest on most fronts. Its not bad but a lot of the enemies require little skill to defeat and there aren't some of the cooler weapons and armors available.

You have to keep going. After you get better gear and weapons, combat because very fun. The Surge is really good and feels faster than even BB.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yup game gets better after that.
I don't know about that. I stopped playing roughly somewhere in... Act IV, I think it was? And haven't felt the need to go back because I was honestly getting bored and found the game tedious. IIRC I had just returned to the second area (forgot the name because everything about this game is forgettable) after visiting the labs and decided to play something else instead.

The Surge is really good and feels faster than even BB.
OK opinions and all, but this is pure abject nonsense

You have to keep going. After you get better gear and weapons, combat because very fun. The Surge is really good and feels faster than even BB.

While I love The Surge and prefer it personally to Dark Souls (have never played BB), you dont get much gear in this game. There are a few sets of armor that can be upgraded very rarely and although there are a few weapons, I stuck with the same weapon all game because it did the most damage/I was used to it. The loot is my main negative about the game.

OK opinions and all, but this is pure abject nonsense

I said "feels", the 60fps helps a lot. I'm sorry, can I not judge Soulsborne against other souls like games? I love Soulsborne, I love the Surge. Lords of the Fallen was garbage.

@arts&crafts I agree there is not much loot but there are some goods sets, Iron Maus is very good. The armor bonuses are good too. They did add more weapons just recently.

Top Bottom