• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge PS4 Pro test. Quality mode and Performance mode

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sony would prefer you called it 'Dynamic 60fps'
Call it what you want, it was by far the most playable mode. If you're actually looking to play that game, and not just look at it, it was by far the best option on any of the consoles. Lag was unbearable otherwise, making firefights artificially far more difficult than intended.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I know you can't directly compare the two for a number of reasons, but this does makes Arkane look pretty lazy.

I know you can't directly compare the two for a number of reasons, but this does makes Arkane look pretty lazy.

To be fair though prey has a lot more stuff you can do thats taxing on performance, things like the gloo gun having persistent effects such as being used for platforming - so you can make a far more complex environment beyond whats background scenery

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
To be fair though prey has a lot more stuff you can do thats taxing on performance, things like the gloo gun having persistent effects such as being used for platforming - so you can make a far more complex environment beyond whats background scenery

I'm not saying Prey should have the same performance options as The Surge, I'm calling them out for not bothering to include any Pro enhancements at all. This is compounded by advertising the game as Pro-enhanced on the box.

nOoblet16

He was talking about pro patch, which Prey lacks in its entirety.

Anyways while Prey has a lot more stuff that you mention about in your post that The Surge lacks, Prey is also is using dated rendering features compared to The Surge. Both games have trade offs but only one game utilises the PS Pro and does something with it.

Markitron

Any mention on if the game does Supersampling for 1080p TV's in Quality mode ?

I know it's not the point you were making, but I wonder if anyone would choose supersampling over a 60 fps mode.

I'm not saying Prey should have the same performance options as The Surge, I'm calling them out for not bothering to include any Pro enhancements at all. This is compounded by advertising the game as Pro-enhanced on the box.

Ah I see, no support at all is bad! I assumed all PS4 games got upscaled nicely with a Pro.

I watched Performance Mode before watching Quality mode. Was there some frame pacing issue for just a wee bit while the player made his way down the stairs in Quality video 1, or did my eyes just adjust to fast to that silky smooth 60 lol.

Top Bottom