• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

rykomatsu

Bebpo said:
Like always the sound mix is really bad on default and you can hardly hear the voices when there is music or sound effects. Luckily during music/SE down a notch remedies that.

wouldn't want to hear the voices anyways...the VA on JPN Tales is pretty fucking shitty for a high profile game...

jeremy1456

clashfan said:
Will it outsell Blue Dragon in Japan?

Most likely not - Tales games are extremely front loaded and unless this one completely breaks the barrier and smashes the mold it's doomed to sell less than Blue Dragon.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm really digging this right now. So far I really have no complaints and everything is just really good.

Definitely the best opening for a Tales game yet. Abyss's first few hours were kinda mediocre, so this is a very nice improvement.

The battle system is really great coming from the Wii KoR's molestation of the Abyss battle system. :)

rykomatsu said:
wouldn't want to hear the voices anyways...the VA on JPN Tales is pretty fucking shitty for a high profile game...

WTF...!!

80k for its first day? Not bad. BD did about that, and BD's around 210k in Japan now. So, this could do pretty well.

Thanks for the impressions, Bebpo! :D Excellent to hear this is the real deal. Keep us posted. :)

FSLink

Banned
My only complaint so far is that Yuri runs a little slow. I wish he had a turbo sprint like in LO.
Eh, like Abyss, it's determined by the agility stat. He'll run faster as you level up.

Wizpig

Phantasy Star Portable sold 200k+ on the first day.
Just saying this to prove that 360 still sells like shit in Japan :\

Rpgmonkey

Wizpig said:
Phantasy Star Portable sold 200k+ on the first day.
Just saying this to prove that 360 still sells like shit in Japan :\

Seems you gotta take what you can get when it comes to 360 games in Japan. :p

Oh, and thanks to those that used my referral link. :D

Bebpo

Banned
One thing that seemed small but is a HUGE benefit is the party member item system in battle. When it makes sense to use an item, a party member will say what item they're about to use and you have like 3-5 seconds to hit LB to cancel it if you don't want them to. While it seems like a small thing, when you die and instantly one of your members is signaling they're using a life bottle on you...that's really nice and saves the time of pulling up the menu and doing it by hand.

Same thing with them supplying you with orange gumis as you're playing so you don't even have to think about your TP as long as you have a lot of orange stock.

The AI options are nice and numerous: target to attack, distance yourself at what hp %, chill on attacks at what TP %, what kind of actions, what kind of position, item usage, etc...
tales001.jpg

Placing characters is as easy as sliding them around:
tales005.jpg

I've found the AI to only be a help so far and not a detriment.

The synthesis system works pretty good since it mainly comes from enemy drops and in combination with the skill system it's worth messing with. A lot of the weapons you can make through synthesis have good skills to learn off them.

Pacing is good so far, in the first few hours you'll go through 3-4 dungeons, 2-3 cities, a little field exploration time. It's pretty good. Nothing feels like it's dragging. There are plenty of skits, lots of short cutscenes, but the story isn't long sections of non-gameplay. While not much happens with the plot at first, the characters are solid. Yuri is a likable lead and the rest of the cast is a little generic but alright.

But man is the game beautiful. This is what I've always wanted an anime-style jrpg to look like every since the day we moved into the HD-realm. The animation is really good and the enemies, weapons, characters, environments look awesome. In motion the game looks like you're playing animation cells from a Ghibli film. Even the fonts are really nice and fitting and fairy-book like. I love how the weapon you have equipped is not only shown in battle but when you're walking around town it's bouncing around strapped to you as well. There's really a ton of detail in everything, which is something the best of rpgs have had over the years.

Not a great pic, but just shows how much detail there is in the background. Everywhere in the game is like that. So pretty :eek:
tales009.jpg

rpgfan16k

Rpgmonkey said:

:(

Right when school starts. Figures. I swear, Scamco is deliberately trying to make my life miserable.

Well, at least it gives me a bit more time to finish off FFIV DS and LO.

On a related note, does IU come out Sept. 5 still? That's like, what, 2 killer-app action-JRPG in less than 2 weeks? :eek:

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Why can't you reserve the LE yet? In fact, I'm not seeing the LE pop up on any retailer's lists yet. What's the deal?

Firestorm

Bebpo said:
One thing that seemed small but is a HUGE benefit is the party member item system in battle. When it makes sense to use an item, a party member will say what item they're about to use and you have like 3-5 seconds to hit LB to cancel it if you don't want them to. While it seems like a small thing, when you die and instantly one of your members is signaling they're using a life bottle on you...that's really nice and saves the time of pulling up the menu and doing it by hand.
Yeah, I really loved that feature in the demo =) Awesome addition.

Rpgmonkey

rpgfan16k said:
On a related note, does IU come out Sept. 5 still? That's like, what, 2 killer-app action-JRPG in less than 2 weeks? :eek:

IU is Sept. 2 for NA. Apparently it's a shipping date or whatever, kinda doubt it should take long to reach stores though.

ZealousD said:
Why can't you reserve the LE yet? In fact, I'm not seeing the LE pop up on any retailer's lists yet. What's the deal?

To be honest, the low-key annoucement and the fact that no stores seems to even have it up yet kinda makes me think the LE was a last-minute decision.

It should show up eventually though, probably next week/this weekend?

Firestorm

Jonsoncao said:
why there are no websites showing that NA LE edition?
I don't think Namco has decided on an exclusivity deal or anything yet. It'll probably be a GS exclusive. I'm hoping that in Canada Amazon.ca carries it...

Bebpo

Banned
Got about 7 and a half hours logged in today and all of it has been great. Really not seeing any flaws that I usually associate with Tales games. Cooking system is great, battle system is great, towns are good, dungeons are good, characters are good, world map is good, all pretty nice stuff. I'm only around 14% on skit completion so hopefully that means Vesperia is a nice meaty 50-75 hour epic like Abyss.

Would play more but eyes hurt >_<

tales025.jpg

Game looks so good. I remember when we first had pics from the Tales show and everyone thought the pics were anime stills. It seriously looks like anime for every single dialogue in the entire game and that's pretty much exactly what the point of cell shading is in the first place.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Bebpo said:
Got about 7 and a half hours logged in today and all of it has been great. Really not seeing any flaws that I usually associate with Tales games. Cooking system is great, battle system is great, towns are good, dungeons are good, characters are good, world map is good, all pretty nice stuff. I'm only around 14% on skit completion so hopefully that means Vesperia is a nice meaty 50-75 hour epic like Abyss.

tales025.jpg

Game looks so good. I remember when we first had pics from the Tales show and everyone thought the pics were anime stills. It seriously looks like anime for every single dialogue in the entire game and that's pretty much exactly what the point of cell shading is in the first place.

Looks great. Can't wait :D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So Bebpo, how's the story/design balance? I always felt like Symphonia was stronger in the pacing/dungeon/world-design department while Abyss was clearly stronger in the story/characters. If Vesperia has the great story of Abyss and the overall design of Symphonia, I'd probably wet myself.

To clarify a bit on the design front, in Abyss there was a lot of running around from once place to the next in the world just to experience the next cutscene and you'd have long bouts with no gameplay. Has that happened so far in Vesperia?

Rpgmonkey said:
To be honest, the low-key annoucement and the fact that no stores seems to even have it up yet kinda makes me think the LE was a last-minute decision.

It should show up eventually though, probably next week/this weekend?

Yeah, probably. Once thing is for sure though, it will actually be LIMITED. You know, nothing like Halo 3 or FFXIII or Perfect Dark Zero or anything.

kiryogi

Banned
It's supposed to be longer than Abyss actually. I'm currently a bit irritated with how Yuri handles. But I was also pretty well aware of this with the demo. Only thoughts for now, Estelle, or Estellise if you will, is no Tear. But, her curiosity is pretty cute. I guess in comparison she's more cute, while tear was really sweet.

Rpgmonkey

How's the music?

I usually don't really like Sakuraba's recent work for this series much at all, and what I heard of this never really grabbed me.

Is it good overall or anything?

kiryogi

Banned
Rpgmonkey said:
How's the music?

I usually don't really like Sakuraba's recent work for this series much at all, and what I heard of this never really grabbed me.

Background music for the most part. Although, theres some different styles in use this time. But nothing special in the end that'd stand out or something. So far anyway.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Have they improved the animation from the demo? I thought it looked incredible in stills, but the animation seemed no different from the PS2 games.

It's a shame the very best looking anime game out there doesn't really interest me (that Naruto PS3 game). The visuals look great but, more importantly, move like an animated feature. I would have loved to have seen animation on par with that in Tales. Of course, being an RPG, it would be more difficult to include such high quality animation throughout, but it seems that a lot of that animation is improved through effects.

Shane B - "This game looks like a high res ps2 game........"

Okey Dokey.
It animates like a PS2 game (at least the demo did)...

Blackjack

charlequin said:
Longer than Abyss would not be a plus.
Abyss was plenty long already, yeah. I could deal with it, probably, as long as it was paced better without as much pointless backtracking.

Bebpo

Banned
ZealousD said:
So Bebpo, how's the story/design balance? I always felt like Symphonia was stronger in the pacing/dungeon/world-design department while Abyss was clearly stronger in the story/characters. If Vesperia has the great story of Abyss and the overall design of Symphonia, I'd probably wet myself.

To clarify a bit on the design front, in Abyss there was a lot of running around from once place to the next in the world just to experience the next cutscene and you'd have long bouts with no gameplay. Has that happened so far in Vesperia?

The pacing so far is much better in Vesperia. Very even mix of towns, world map, dungeons, cutscenes, skits.

The characters are no Abyss cast, that would be really hard to top since Jade was amazing. But they are fine so far. It's nice having a lead who is confident and not a loser. He's kinda like Luke during the first third but without the "I'm an idiot and annoying". The supporting cast is about as solid as Symphonia.

kiryogi said:
It's supposed to be longer than Abyss actually. I'm currently a bit irritated with how Yuri handles. But I was also pretty well aware of this with the demo. Only thoughts for now, Estelle, or Estellise if you will, is no Tear. But, her curiosity is pretty cute. I guess in comparison she's more cute, while tear was really sweet.

Why don't you like how Yuri handles? I love how he plays and his attacks. I'm pretty sick of Tales games where 50% of the moves you learn are the classic Tales moves. I like Yuri's original fighting style a lot. Reminds me of the main guy from Legendia but without the throws and with more sword play.

Rpgmonkey said:
How's the music?

Eh, it works. I don't think the music in any of the Tales games really sticks out and is memorable. But I always find Sakuraba's scores to be serviceable and fitting for the towns and dungeons and Vesperia is no exception. I think Abyss's score was a little better than the usual Sakuraba Tales score, but Vesperia hasn't stuck out like that yet.

dark10x said:
Have they improved the animation from the demo? I thought it looked incredible in stills, but the animation seemed no different from the PS2 games.

I didn't play the demo but I don't really see the animation complaints. All of Yuri's special attacks look nice, his normal attack string with the swinging of the sword while punching looks nice, running around town has a film-like look to the animation. The only part where the animation looks PS2 is during the cutscenes where it just animates like a standard rpg. I dunno, I think it looks great in battle personally and dailogues are mainly standing still so the animation doesn't affect them.

charlequin said:
Longer than Abyss would not be a plus.

Depends on why it's longer. Abyss had a some filler and A LOT of optional endgame sidequests. If Vesperia cuts back on the filler a bit and just has a longer main story or more optional endgame quests, that'll be a good thing.

I think Kiryogi might be off on that statement though. The leaderboards have the fastest speedruns at ~30-35 hours. So even assuming that's tapping A through dialogues (you can't skip cutscenes) + no sidequests, I can't see it being more than 75 hours or so unless the sidequests are really vast or time consuming or both.

Bebpo said:

tales025.jpg

Wow, great impressions. Keep them coming.

Rpgmonkey

kiryogi said:
Background music for the most part. Although, theres some different styles in use this time. But nothing special in the end that'd stand out or something. So far anyway.

Bebpo said:
Eh, it works. I don't think the music in any of the Tales games really sticks out and is memorable. But I always find Sakuraba's scores to be serviceable and fitting for the towns and dungeons and Vesperia is no exception. I think Abyss's score was a little better than the usual Sakuraba Tales score, but Vesperia hasn't stuck out like that yet.

:/

Well I've dealt with it before, I'm used to it by now.

FrankT

dark10x said:

It's a shame the very best looking anime game out there doesn't really interest me (that Naruto PS3 game). The visuals look great but, more importantly, move like an animated feature. I would have loved to have seen animation on par with that in Tales. Of course, being an RPG, it would be more difficult to include such high quality animation throughout, but it seems that a lot of that animation is improved through effects.

It animates like a PS2 game (at least the demo did)...

Certainly doesn't look like one that is for certain.

Blackjack said:
Abyss was plenty long already, yeah. I could deal with it, probably, as long as it was paced better without as much pointless backtracking.

Or a few needless mini-plots tailored to each character, along with the requisite salt-in-the-wound rehashing Skits afterwards. Unnecessary; if they pull this off without that, this will be a big of an improvement as ToS -> ToA was.

MrDaravon

Paznos said:
How is Amazon for getting games fairly quickly? I would want this asap without having to pay overnight shipping.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

No really, amazon is completely terrible for getting games day 1, it's the only reason I don't go through them for day 1 stuff.

Does anyone have a link to any type of proof for the day 1 sales numbers?

Also I like how we are getting this game so soon after the Japanese release, wonder why Square can't do that with a series as popular as FF...

u_neek

SlaughterX said:
Also I like how we are getting this game so soon after the Japanese release, wonder why Square can't do that with a series as popular as FF...
They're doing it with IU, LR and probably would have with FFXIII if it hadn't been for the 360-version :(

u_neek

According to SE themselves, production of the 360-version hasn't started and it's supposed to hit Europe and NA at the same time as the PS3-version - not Japan where the 360-version still hasn't been announced.

Apparently development won't start until the PS3 version is finished.

Top Bottom