• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The third Sonic Wii U game might be Sonic vs. Mario Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merging the two series could be huge. Sumo's innovations, tech, fresh ideas added to the MK team's rock-solid formula, sharp design, and community-oriented multiplayer focus.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This was answered years ago. The person who'd win a kart race is Wario. To quote, "I'm-a-Wario, I'm-a-gonna-weeeen!"

I should get some credit for remembering this. :p

I doubt Sumo is straight up making Mario Kart, as there hasn't been that long since their last game. I can easily see them helping, though.

Taker666

I loathed the demo of transformed on the Wii U...so I can't say this fills me with happiness.

It better be 60fps at least.

XenodudeX

clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

Nooo

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit. That would be awesome, I picked up Transformed on the Wii U recently and it's pretty good.

My guess is it's just the 3rd Sonic & All-Stars Racing game with some Nintendo characters added. Probably coming late next year, to give breathing room with MK8.

wrowa

I think this would be separate.

Nintendo's not going to release a seperate racing franchise with Mario characters. Mario Kart is one of their most important IPs, why would they want to cause brand confusion between Mario Kart and whatever game Sumo would develop? Why would they want to advertise a direct competitor from another company with their biggest mascott, even though the series would likely end up on other plattforms a sequel later?

They are either working together with Sumo on Mario Kart 8 (considering they worked with Retro on Mario Kart 7 I don't think that's entirely unlikely, but development schedules don't really fit) or he's just thinking out loud.

My guess is the latter. If he was really working on something, he wouldn't tease it on Twitter. At least I can't remember the last time a developer teased what would be a major Nintendo game so obviously before it was announced...

Not sure about the undying confidence in Sumo. They've made 2 console Sonic Kart games and both have had shit framerates. I like the VS idea, but I'd want Nintendo to handle it. Definitely not Sumo.

Wiz

We know for sure a new Mario Kart is coming...

So the question is, to what extent is Nintendo in the next Sonic Racing game. I think since they'll be publishing it, they throw in Mario as an exclusive character.

I hope not, didn't really like Sonic All Star racing :(

Me neither but they can easily make it something special. Get rid of the shitty items, make it easier to get unlock the characters and have the online be playable.

All that stuff was already in the original game. The sequel is a bad game in my opinion.

Nintendo's not going to release a seperate racing franchise with Mario characters. Mario Kart is one of their most important IPs, why would they want to cause brand confusion between Mario Kart and whatever game Sumo would develop? Why would they want to advertise a direct competitor from another company that would likely end up on other plattforms a sequel later?

They are either working together with Sumo on Mario Kart 8 (considering they worked with Retro on Mario Kart 7 I don't think that's entirely unlikely, but development schedules don't really fit) or he's just thinking out loud.

My guess is the latter. If he was really working on something, he wouldn't tease it on Twitter. At least I can't remember the last time a developer teased what would be a major Nintendo game so obviously before it was announced...

Just for some perspective, this tweet is from last month, but it's suddenly a lot more interesting in light of today's development with Nintendo and Sonic. So I guess it might have been OK to tease at the time. Anyway, it's far from a certainty, but it's noteworthy at least.

Kimawolf

I can't imagine that they'd tease something like that so openly, given Nintendo's penchant for extreme secrecy.

When the house is on fire, you let out a few yelps here and there to get some help.

And can Sonic outrun the blue shell of doom.. thats the real question...

From what I've played of Transformed, I'm not a huge fan. However, with Nintendo's guidance and Mario Kart rules and specs, this would definitely be amazing. They can bring new ideas into Mario Kart similar to Retro for MK 7.

If it's a separate game competing with Mario Kart, that would also be cool, and I'd probably still buy it.

Level design and driving physics by the Transformed team, character and item design by the Mario Kart team... hot damn, that would likely be the best racing game ever made.

But what do they call it? Mario Kart All-Stars featuring Sonic? Surely Sonic couldn't lead the title. Mario Kart vs Sonic All-Stars Racing?

Wiz

This. Just blow the Nintendo roster open already ffs. I don't want your Z-tier Mario characters filling spots anymore, I want goddam Link in an ocarina kart, ya dig.

Wont happen. Miyamoto is very against putting non-Mario characters in MK. (Besides the special situation of Pac-Man).

Kimawolf

but what would they call such a game? Does Mario get top billing over Sonic?

I think they should go for Nintendo and Sega Allstar Racing.

Daingurse

I love the idea...I do not love that I will not be playing it because I wil never own a Wii U.... :(

This is how it should be. Now I'm very salty, because I also don't own a Wii-U and it's getting exclusive Sonic games. This is much better than apathy IMO. Just sucks for my wallet, bah. . .

MisterHero

So does anyone wonder if the cast will be based on All-Stars?

I'd rather have All-Stars's cast rather than the Sonic R series. For Nintendo's side to match, they'd have to include non-Mario characters.

The result could be spectacular!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom