• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UFC 129 Thread of 55,000 people chanting "GSP! GSP!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr2xxx

Banned
But still only lost to two guys after being a champion but now he is fighting Randy who has retired more times than Brett Favre. I guess if Machida mangaes to lose he does not belong in the UFC.

smurfx

get some go again
vegas should start taking bets on how many fights go to decision. i predict at least more than half will this time around.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
BigJonsson said:
Any USA chant will be extinguished by Canada GAF

U.S.A 2!

;)

JKS

I think Aus might be able to beat the 55, 000 when the UFC are allowed to fight in other states in Aus. Would be an outdoor event though maybe.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
mr2xxx said:
But still only lost to two guys after being a champion but now he is fighting Randy who has retired more times than Brett Favre. I guess if Machida mangaes to lose he does not belong in the UFC.
Except Randy is coming off a dominating performance against James Toney.

BobTheFork said:
I love GSP, but if he apologizes in advance for not finishing the guy off he'll be able to save time after the fight.

LOL @ Bob bringing the muthafuggin TRUTH.

Boogie said:
Dana White needed the most dynamic, dominant athlete in the sport today. Dana White needed the unquestioned #1 or #2 pound-for-pound fighter in the sport...

Wow. I like Jose Aldo too, but it sounds like you like him even more!

Boogie said:
...Dana White needed a gawdamned Canadian National Hero.

>_> Oh...you were talking about THAT guy? LOL

iddqd

Anyone going to the Fan Expo?

I`m not sure if I care enough and 70bucks to see crazy people
and to stand in line seems weird (I would have to buy tickets for my lady too).

Zeliard

Boogie said:
And duh Jones would eat GSP's lunch. Dude's two weight divisions above him.

Here's Jones standing beside HEAVYWEIGHT Andrei Arlovski and making him look tiny:

Bones_Pitbull_medium.jpg

The style matchup of a potential GSP/Jones fight is retarded. Elite wrestler weighing 185ish pounds versus elite wrestler weighing 230ish pounds. With a stupid reach advantage to boot.

But p4p isn't strictly "who beats who."

And I still say GSP/Silva is a 50/50 fight.

Silva isn't that small either - when he goes up to 205 he looks like belongs there. I think GSP essentially has the same issues with both Silva and Jones of being too small relative to them. Hopefully we'll get to find out because I still want GSP/Silva to happen just to finally end those debates.

MjFrancis

I'm going to put my neck out and see what happens.

Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre vs. Jake Shields [decision]
Featherweight Championship bout: José Aldo vs. Mark Hominick [KO, 3rd]
Light Heavyweight bout: Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Jason Brilz [Submission, 2nd]
Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida [KO, 2nd]
Lightweight bout: Mark Bocek vs. Ben Henderson [Submission, 1st]

I'm curious to see how it goes down. I usually just call the fighter and not the round or method, so if I can get close I'll be happy. I think Couture announcing his retirement before the beatdown will still allow him to bow out with some honor and grace. I'll be happy if he wins, don't get me wrong, I just don't think that's going to happen.

Can't wait for next Saturday!

yacobod

Banned
MjFrancis said:

so picking all the favorites to win is putting your neck out on the line LOL

Tenks

GSP vs Shields. Whoever wins the fans lose. I couldn't think of a more boring matchup. Nevermind I've already seen GSP vs Fitch.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm looking forward to the UFC/Strikeforce welterweight title unification fight between Nick Diaz and Jake Shields.

yacobod

Banned
industrian said:
I'm looking forward to the UFC/Strikeforce welterweight title unification fight between Nick Diaz and Jake Shields.

must not be an avid follower of the sport because they wont fight

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
yacobod said:
must not be an avid follower of the sport because they wont fight

I was hoping a GSP fan would take the bait, why must you spoil my dreams. :p

MjFrancis

yacobod said:
so picking all the favorites to win is putting your neck out on the line LOL
I guess calling it "putting my neck out" is a stretch but I'm calling the decisions and the rounds. Put 'em up if feel you can do better.

Pierre is the only one that will reliably go to the judge's scorecard for a decision victory, and every other prediction will be a crapshoot.

Boogie

Tenks said:
GSP vs Shields. Whoever wins the fans lose. I couldn't think of a more boring matchup. Nevermind I've already seen GSP vs Fitch.

wait.

You found GSP/Fitch to be boring?

You must have found Fedor/Nog I and III, and Fedor/Cro cop to be boring too, I take it?

Blackface

Banned
samus i am said:
George "I play it safe so my pretty face doesn't get hurt" St-Pierre sooooo boring.

If by play it safe you mean beat the shit out of the other fighter using THEIR specialty, then sure.

Boogie

industrian said:
I'm looking forward to the UFC/Strikeforce welterweight title unification fight

I also look forward to GSP wrestlefucking Diaz into oblivion whilst yacobod whines about singlets.

MjFrancis said:

I'm curious to see how it goes down. I usually just call the fighter and not the round or method, so if I can get close I'll be happy. I think Couture announcing his retirement before the beatdown will still allow him to bow out with some honor and grace. I'll be happy if he wins, don't get me wrong, I just don't think that's going to happen.

Can't wait for next Saturday!
I got:

Shields by submission
Aldo by decision
Brilz by decision
Couture by decision
Bendo by submission
Rory McDonald by Split Decision
Jake Ellenberger by submission

Honestly I have NO IDEA what the UFC was thinking when they booked Matyushenko vs. Brilz, a matchup with a very high snooze-fest potential, on the same PPV card as Couture vs. Machida which could either be the Ultimate Staring Contest or Couture wall-n-stall 101, and GSP vs. Shields which will either be GSP keeping it on the feet and playing it extra safe or Shields laying on top of GSP.

I guess when you compare this card to other GSP-headlined cards it's relatively stacked, but it almost seems like the UFC goes out of their way to make GSP cards pretty weak just because they can.

That's 3 out of 5 matchups on the main card that have a much higher than average potential for being snoozers. Hopefully some unexpected stuff happens in these and we get crazy wars like we saw with Edgar vs. Maynard but I'm not holding out hope. The UFC should have given these 55,000 fans that will be in attendance a much better card IMO.

Most of the exciting fights will be in the prelims. Good thing we can watch ALL of them on Facebook. Aldo vs. Hominick will probably be FOTN though.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I don't know what to make of it.

Don't see how GSP can lose, he always dominates. I hope Shields makes it a tough fight, but i don't see GSP losing to him.

Has to be someone far more special.

Aldo will finish this ploy.

Anyone read the GSP interview? He straight up said Shields would beat any WW that were considered contenders. So at least he knows he is in for a fight.

Another interview he said he has realized he was playing safe the last couple of fights and he changed his training. Sherdog has a thread on it, I will get link when I am at my computer.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I gotta stop reading this thread b/c it's making me feel like the event is closer than it is. :/

On to Bellator!

CaptYamato said:
Aldo will finish this ploy.

Anyone read the GSP interview? He straight up said Shields would beat any WW that were considered contenders. So at least he knows he is in for a fight.

Another interview he said he has realized he was playing safe the last couple of fights and he changed his training. Sherdog has a thread on it, I will get link when I am at my computer.
Yeah GSP always talks up his opponents, it's to the point where nothing he says seems sincere to me anymore; like it's all an act.

I think he is sincere this time. Anyways, like I have said, he is going to get caught in a sub and everyone will be like WTF just happened...
I hope you guys realize that I am just trolling Boogie and don't really believe that.

parasight

Got my tickets for Fan Expo and the event itself (Section 109B). Going to meet a troll on Tuesday (Kos & Fitch) just because they're doing signings 5 minutes away from my house. Going to hit up the Fan Event Wednesday at Dundas Square. UFC WEEK BABY!

CaptYamato said:
I think he is sincere this time. Anyways, like I have said, he is going to get caught in a sub and everyone will be like WTF just happened...
I hope you guys realize that I am just trolling Boogie and don't really believe that.
I really do believe that though. Either that or GSP loses by decision (and pray it's not a bad decision)

Boogie

polyh3dron said:
Yeah GSP always talks up his opponents, it's to the point where nothing he says seems sincere to me anymore; like it's all an act.

If it's an "act", its one directed at himself, to avoid become complacent.

polyh3dron said:
I really do believe that though. Either that or GSP loses by decision (and pray it's not a bad decision)

GSP has no chance, eh? :)

Boogie said:
If it's an "act", its one directed at himself, to avoid become complacent.
It definitely seems that way... He takes all that psychological shit even more seriously than Diego Sanchez does with his YUS cartwheels and shit. He's always talking about visualizing getting his hand raised while Bruce Buffer says "and STILL, UFC Welterweight Champion of the world, yada yada yada".

The way to beat a guy like that is to break him mentally. I think Shields is capable of doing that by getting GSP on his back early on.

yacobod

Banned
it's a huge act, maybe its because english isn't his native language but w/e he speaks everything comes off as very fake and rehearsed. he's basically spouting off w/e platitudes his management and handlers are telling him to say.

Boogie

yacobod said:
it's a huge act, maybe its because english isn't his native language but w/e he speaks everything comes off as very fake and rehearsed. he's basically spouting off w/e platitudes his management and handlers are telling him to say.

sure he is, yacobod. sure he is.

Are you butt buddies with GSP's management, or something? Since you seem to know so much about his "handlers". lol

yacobod

Banned
Boogie said:
sure he is, yacobod. sure he is.

Are you butt buddies with GSP's management, or something? Since you seem to know so much about his "handlers". lol

maybe if you would swing down from his nuts, you would see things for how they are. it must be hard tho when you have no perspective. but after georges grinds out another boring decision, i'm sure you'll tell everyone how great the performance was.

georges fans will tell you that his jab fest was exciting against kos, but then bash miguel torres for the exact same gameplan in his last fight. they are delusional.

dream

Come on, he says the same thing before every fight. "[opponent] is BY FAR the toughest challenge of my career but I am in the best condition of my life and you're going to see the best georges st pierre on saturday night."

Dude lost all credibility when he called Outlaw Dan the most dangerous opponent he's ever faced.

Wait, I mean he lost all credibility when he decided to dryhump Outlaw Dan for the entire fight.

no, sorry, he lost all credibility when he couldn't finish Outlaw Dan inside of 25 minutes.

Boogie

Apart from prefight hype talk (and it's MMA, kids, everyone spouts the same sort of BS, the same canned lines, not sure where GSP is special in this regard) how do you lose "credibility" in MMA by taking someone to decision? What does that even mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom