• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UFC 129 Thread of 55,000 people chanting "GSP! GSP!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Pristine_Condition said:
The "risks" GSP refuses to take aren't even really risky though, and that's what's infuriating.

When he had Kos blinded in one eye, really, how risky would it have been for him to try to work more hooks and kicks to the blind side to get the KO? Not very. Why didn't he? Only him and Jackson know.

How risky would it have been for him to try more than three honest submission attempts in 25 minutes while dominating Hardy on the ground and knowing that he could get another takedown at will? Not risky at all.

IMO, Anthony "Rumble" Johnson made more of an attempt in three rounds to submit Hardy than GSP did in five. Think about that. It's fucking pitiful.

I can't remember Hardy or Koscheck mounting any form of attack on GSP. They didn't threaten him in any way whatsoever.

Prisen

GSP is already immensely popular and is making loads of money. From a pure money perspective it would be utterly retarded of him to risk the current situation to potentially make slightly more money if it also means he increases the risk of losing even a tiny bit.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
industrian said:
I can't remember Hardy or Koscheck mounting any form of attack on GSP. They didn't threaten him in any way whatsoever.
They definitely had very negative strategies. Hardy's in particular was pure ground defense. He was way more active from bottom against Rumble, which led to more opportunities for Rumble and a better fight (GSP-Hardy was an absolute all-time crappy ME). I think though as this sense gets out there that GSP can't finish, people will be less afraid of actually pressing the action against him. Hopefully that starts with Shields.

desa

Prisen said:
GSP is already immensely popular and is making loads of money. From a pure money perspective it would be utterly retarded of him to risk the current situation to potentially make slightly more money if it also means he increases the risk of losing even a tiny bit.

That may be so, but he should stop talking about how he wants to finish fights and how he wants to be remembered as the greatest mma fighter in history. If he keeps this up, that won't be the case.

GSP apologists apparently really, really, really love scorecards.

They go online and look at pictures of scorecards and mutter to themselves "Oh, you slutty scorecard...you just want to be filled out all the way through round five!" while fapping furiously.

Disgusting.

ShaneB

dream said:
You've taken your first step into a larger world.

Support real fighters.

bjpenn.png

Bah, you go and say that and then post a picture of BJ Penn :) I can't stand that guy.

Eh, just think it's boring now to see such dominance after a while. My Canadian pride loves GSP sure, but I really enjoy when a division is spiced up and it's a clusterfuck as to who is on the top.

yacobod

Banned
ShaneB said:
Heh, hey now, Clay Guida is one of my favourite fighters (who doesn't love that guy).

man so you really do love decision machines.

edit:
i guess clay's been finishing more opponents recently, but i generally can't stand him.

ShaneB

yacobod said:
man so you really do love decision machines.

If it's 3 rounds of action, or 5 rounds of action, I'm perfectly fine with that. There's a reason knockout of the night and fight of the night are 2 different things :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
people went nuts for guida when they saw him walking in the crowd at 127 -- more so than a bunch of guys, even possibly more than liddell. they just love the hair i guess.

yacobod

Banned
ya he definitely gets a huge pop from the crowd, they must like that muppets like hair flailing around all fight long. and in interviews and everything else he seems like a cool guy, very accommodating to the fans.

dream said:
Who could imagine that an OT for a GSP fight would look good but isn't actually very effective?
LOL!

Ya, once you have the correct UFC page on your fb, it's easy to find, but finding it the first time is a bitch cuz there's so much UFC fb shit.

Countdown for 129 has been up on Hulu for a while.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/235574/countdown-to-ufc-countdown-to-ufc-129

Aldo-Hominick portions were decent. I'm surprised it hasn't been pushed more.

Boogie said:
Claude Patrick (13-1) vs. Daniel Roberts (12-1)

Nooo, not two black guys fighting each other! Umm, Patrick via Nationalism.
If that is the only thing that comes to mind when any 2 black fighters fight, then I'd say that just further proves Bob Arum's (and most anti-MMA sports figures) views on MMA fans (which does have a strong element of truth.)

Boogie

dream said:
Who could imagine that an OT for a GSP fight would look good but isn't actually very effective?

Josh-Koscheck-eye-after-UFC-124.jpg

Unidentified said:
If that is the only thing that comes to mind when any 2 black fighters fight, then I'd say that just further proves Bob Arum's (and most anti-MMA sports figures) views on MMA fans (which does have a strong element of truth.)

I was trying to be funny. The problem is, of course, that I am not funny. Please don't hold it against me.

lol @ Josh Kos making an appearance at a Toronto club on Friday.......I thought he hated Canada and Canadians and especially GSP fans

ShaneB

Press Conference is starting in a couple minutes. Wonder if it'll have any relevant questions or just people asking for tickets.

I'd just ask for tickets too.

parasight

BigJonsson said:
lol @ Josh Kos making an appearance at a Toronto club on Friday.......I thought he hated Canada and Canadians and especially GSP fans

I met him on Tuesday. He had a signing with Fitch at a National Sport. I kinda trolled him so he wasn't too happy to see me. I tried to get them to hold up these signs but they refused. Fitch almost did it, he was deciding which one to hold up. At least I didn't stick with my original plan of bringing posters of their faces after fighting GSP.

225812_10150165937403229_512063228_6868235_2061202_n.jpg

parasight said:
I met him on Tuesday. He had a signing with Fitch at a National Sport. I kinda trolled him so he wasn't too happy to see me. I tried to get them to hold up these signs but they refused. Fitch almost did it, he was deciding which one to hold up. At least I didn't stick with my original plan of bringing posters of their faces after fighting GSP.

225812_10150165937403229_512063228_6868235_2061202_n.jpg

GSP fans = classy.

Parch

I just watched the press conference. I like that there isn't the juvenile antics and name calling. It was even addressed in a question.

All that trash talking nonsense proves nothing. It doesn't psyche out anybody and just makes fighters look like childish idiots. In fact I think it could even hurt a fighter by only motivating his opposition. There's always going to be trash talking idiots and I don't expect everyone to show nothing but praise and respect during a love-fest press conference, but it's real refreshing to see the UFC break away from that immature behavior.

Fifty

You wanted Fitch to hold up a sign that says "WAR GSP" ugh, a Sherdog esque nerd in real life. I bet I'll see a million dorks like that at the Fan Expo on Friday.

So yeah, I have Shields by robbery. He'll take an unpopular decision followed by some of the most thunderous boos ever and it will be a great sight to see.

And I demand a Scott Coker smiley face tweet afterwards if that happens.

Also, rooting hard for Hominick since he's from my hometown. It'd be awesome to have a UFC champ from London, ON.

rinse82

polyh3dron said:
So yeah, I have Shields by robbery. He'll take an unpopular decision followed by some of the most thunderous boos ever.

And I demand a Scott Coker smiley face tweet afterwards if that happens.

Knowing this city, things will be thrown if that happens. Unfortunately.

rinse82 said:
Knowing this city, things will be thrown if that happens. Unfortunately.
And then they can open up the dome, have a helicopter fly in, drop a ladder or something for Team Cesar Gracie to get in and leave.

Ryck

polyh3dron said:
And then they can open up the dome, have a helicopter fly in, drop a ladder or something for Team Cesar Gracie to get in and leave.
LOL!!! I really love having a good imagination.

Boogie

From the pre-fight presser:

Shields: "Cesar Gracie couldn't get into the country so he won't be in my corner but I'll be fine"

hmm, Cesar have a criminal record?

Boogie said:

Shields: "Cesar Gracie couldn't get into the country so he won't be in my corner but I'll be fine"

TSA probably went to grope his crotch and he threw on an armbar by instinct.

Boogie said:

Cesar Gracie is a close associate of Nick Diaz. Isn't that enough to raise an alarm?

;)

Boogie said:

Cesar doesn't have an American passport, he has a Brazilian one. This created some problems when attempting to travel from the US to Canada.

MjFrancis

parasight said:
I would loathe these sorts of events if I had to wade through this crap at every one. Since I will never be a famous MMA fighter, I don't have to worry, fortunately. I'm sure they tire of it, though.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Pristine_Condition said:
Cesar Gracie is a close associate of Nick Diaz. Isn't that enough to raise an alarm?

;)

Maybe he can get the Diaz brothers to stomp his passport. Worked for Mayhem i think..... get stomped, get into UFC.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Maybe he can get the Diaz brothers to stomp his passport. Worked for Mayhem i think..... get stomped, get into UFC.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy
it's 4th of July in my asshole
(Today, 03:24 PM)
Reply | Quote

Asbel

GSP will bloody zombie-face Shields on the floor, on the feet, by the cage and all over the place.
Aldo by whatever the fuck he wants but it's too early for him to be top 2 p4p.
Couture Machida is unlikely to be boring since their styles don't stalemate each other. Most likely Couture rushes in and gets KO'd or Couture pulls off an upset.
Bendo by the lord and savior's guillotine.

MjFrancis

Asbel said:
Aldo by whatever the fuck he wants but it's too early for him to be top 2 p4p.
Another half-dozen fights and this cat's in contention for second place as the best pound-for-pound fighter. Look at his record vs. GSP's for the past few years - Jose Aldo is knocking out people left and right. Urijah Faber is the only person he hasn't knocked out lately, and he could barely stand for half the fight and spent the last two minutes of round four getting pummeled without answering back. I've seen fights stopped for much less but for whatever reason it kept going.

I guess my point is that I'm probably looking forward to Aldo's appearance more than GSP's. He's a great fighter, and like you said, almost a top 2 P4P contender. To have him, GSP and Couture fight in the same night is phenomenal.

Saturday can't come soon enough.

yacobod

Banned
dream said:
You've taken your first step into a larger world.

Support real fighters.

bj-penn.jpg

1078d1233007926-im-looking-picture-gsp-after-his-first-fight-penn-gsp.jpg

does this look like a winner to anybody?

come to think of it this fight was the beginning of the lnp gsp era.

MjFrancis said:
Urijah Faber is the only person he hasn't knocked out lately, and he could barely stand for half the fight and spent the last two minutes of round four getting pummeled without answering back. I've seen fights stopped for much less but for whatever reason it kept going.
That fight happened between the two Shogun-Machida fights so I bet Aldo just did that to troll Cecil Peoples after his "leg kicks don't finish fights" rant. Turns out Josh Rosenthal felt the same way - I guess the responsibility of protecting fighters doesn't apply to the legs.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
the barboza-lullo fight was that way too, though it least that was called when lullo literally couldn't stand anymore

MjFrancis

I missed that Cecil Peoples rant. I found the quote for anyone else who missed out on that, though:

Mauricio Rua was being aggressive but it wasn't effective aggressiveness which is what we as the judges look for when scoring a fight. The way I saw it, Lyoto was landing the more cleaner and damaging strikes throughout the fight - if you take a look at the judging criteria clean strikes are valued more-so than the quantity of strikes landed. Although Rua threw a lot of low kicks they were not as damaging as Lyotos diverse attack in the earlier rounds which is why I scored the first three rounds for Machida. You have to keep in mind we always the favour the fighter who is trying to finish the fight, and leg kicks certainly don't do that."

To be fair, I've never seen someone attack the legs of his opponent with such vicious success before Jose Aldo did it to Urijah Faber. I'm sure it's been done before, but perhaps never so decisively.

MjFrancis said:
To be fair, I've never seen someone attack the legs of his opponent with such vicious success before Jose Aldo did it to Urijah Faber. I'm sure it's been done before, but perhaps never so decisively.
I'm sure there are others, but most memorable for me is when Crocop stopped Hidehiko Yoshida by brutal leg kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom