• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UFC 129 Thread of 55,000 people chanting "GSP! GSP!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
BigKaboom2 said:
That fight happened between the two Shogun-Machida fights so I bet Aldo just did that to troll Cecil Peoples after his "leg kicks don't finish fights" rant. Turns out Josh Rosenthal felt the same way - I guess the responsibility of protecting fighters doesn't apply to the legs.

which is so dumb, urijahs leg looked horrible. That could be a fatal injury with blood clots etc...

yacobod

Banned
MjFrancis said:
CroCop and his monster legs - made for some good highlight reels. I'll have to look up the Hidehiko Yoshida matchup.

shit, his youtube highlight reels are still the best in mma.

So they should be able to accomodate all the Fight Club members who show up for the weigh-ins before 2:00, right?

I plan to get there around 1:15 tomorrow

Fifty

In case anyone is reading this from Toronto and still wants to go to the "sold out" UFC 129..Ticketmonster has released more tickets, so get on it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Should be so much more talk about Aldo, much more excited for his fight than the main event.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ikuu said:
Should be so much more talk about Aldo, much more excited for his fight than the main event.
i don't think the problem is with aldo, but with the opponent. hominick is good but there is very little hype behind him.

Ikuu

Still very few mentions of him, thought this
watch
of him shopping for a suit was hilarious. It's a shame they don't allow soccer kicks, from Aldos early fights they look vicious.

Boogie

Image of staging prep.

2z9b1c1.jpg

Looks like no prospect for an open dome, since they seem to be hanging screens from the centre like they do for their arena shows.

Supposed to be 30 different screens, and 80 speaker points (AC/DC concert at the dome had 40)

Boogie

As awkward is it potentially might be, if any gaffers want to meet up at the Q&A/weigh-ins, PM me, if only to be able to shake hands and say "hey, how's it going? GSP GSP!"

parasight

Wildest day ever.

Went to Dundas Square and got autographs from Bader, Cruz, Chandella, Mir and Bonnar. During our food break we saw Dana hiding in the corner of the food court. Really down to earth guy. You can tell he's super pumped for the fight. It was surreal to see him there. Then a friend & I luck out with his twitter giveaway and we get 4 free tickets from Dana himself (better than the ones we bought, in the 100s sections). We were the first ones there and soon after us a massive horde of people came rushing towards him. It was chaotic. What an amazing day. So excited for the weigh-ins tomorrow!

Boogie

parasight said:
Wildest day ever.

Went to Dundas Square and got autographs from Bader, Cruz, Chandella, Mir and Bonnar. During our food break we saw Dana hiding in the corner of the food court. Really down to earth guy. You can tell he's super pumped for the fight. It was surreal to see him there. Then a friend & I luck out with his twitter giveaway and we get 4 free tickets from Dana himself (better than the ones we bought, in the 100s sections). We were the first ones there and soon after us a massive horde of people came rushing towards him. It was chaotic. What an amazing day. So excited for the weigh-ins tomorrow!

Jealous!

But ya, say whatever else you want about Dana, dude is a fan first and foremost. He loves this shit, and interacting with fans.

AstroLad said:
i don't think the problem is with aldo, but with the opponent. hominick is good but there is very little hype behind him.

I agree. Hominick just hasn't captured people's attention. Not his fault. He's good.

I've been saying the Aldo fight is my Main Event since it was announced. To me, there are few other fighters that bring so much excitement. He's in that top tier of exciting performers. Dude's a little monster. Love watching his fights.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Boogie said:
Jealous!

But ya, say whatever else you want about Dana, dude is a fan first and foremost. He loves this shit, and interacting with fans.

And he told told Tito to keep his wife on a leash........ apparently.

Boogie

Pristine_Condition said:
I agree. Hominick just hasn't captured people's attention. Not his fault. He's good.

I've been saying the Aldo fight is my Main Event since it was announced. To me, there are few other fighters that bring so much excitement. He's in that top tier of exciting performers. Dude's a little monster. Love watching his fights.

Yeah, can't deny that. I'm hyped for Hominick mostly for the personal reasons, but I can't fault those who can't get excited for him beyond that. As I have said, I do think he's the best striker at FW other than Aldo himself, so we shall see if that's enough to make a kickass fight or not....

BigKaboom2 said:
That fight happened between the two Shogun-Machida fights so I bet Aldo just did that to troll Cecil Peoples after his "leg kicks don't finish fights" rant. Turns out Josh Rosenthal felt the same way - I guess the responsibility of protecting fighters doesn't apply to the legs.
Maybe Aldo did it to troll his own damn manager (also Machida's manager) who said "You can't win a fight with leg kicks" in the Countdown show for Shogun/Machida 2 when referring to the first fight. (It aired after Aldo/Faber but was shot before it)

But yeah, you can count me in Hominick's corner this Saturday too, gotta represent London.

I met Joe Lauzon at my work today, got a picture with him
Cool dude, seems very humble

Fuck, can't wait for the weigh-ins I hope I get there in time........1:00 should be ok, right? Looks like 1600 FC members have RSVPd so far.......so thats maybe 3200 people if everyone brings 1 guest

With the size of this event and the craziness of Toronto fans especially who have NEVER had a UFC event come to their town, I'd say get there as early as possible for the weigh-ins. Besides, aren't they doing some king of Q&A thing prior to them? They usually do.

parasight

BigJonsson said:
I met Joe Lauzon at my work today, got a picture with him
Cool dude, seems very humble

Fuck, can't wait for the weigh-ins I hope I get there in time........1:00 should be ok, right? Looks like 1600 FC members have RSVPd so far.......so thats maybe 3200 people if everyone brings 1 guest

Talking to Dana, he mentioned there's only 8600 seats in the Ricoh. We're going to try to be there around 12-12:30 and just hope we're not too far back. He said to get there as early as you can, because he expects it'll fill up very quickly.

Where do you check RSVP?

parasight said:
Talking to Dana, he mentioned there's only 8600 seats in the Ricoh. We're going to try to be there around 12-12:30 and just hope we're not too far back. He said to get there as early as you can, because he expects it'll fill up very quickly.

Where do you check RSVP?

Are you a fight club member? Go to the events section of the website and it'll say how many have RSVPd for everything, and that you have to print out your RSVP to gain access......which means that the RSVPd number should be accurate

General public is going to have a hell of a time

ShaneB

Jealous of you folks with tickets, especially you Parasight! Very cool how that happened nontheless.

The closer it gets to fight night the more I wish I had bought tickets, or at least had friends that wanted tickets as badly as me. Ah well, it'll be fun to watch regardless.

I'm flip flopping on the GSP/Shields fight... my Canadian pride wants GSP to win, but I'd love to see the clusterfuck of what might happen if Shields win. If Shields win, you would think that GSP would get a rematch no questions asked, so that wouldn't change a thing, and if GSP wins, does he move up a weight class? Etc..

I'm very excited for the Aldo/Hominick fight. Hominick has been a favourite fighter of mine for quite a while now, and Aldo is a beast obviously, should be fireworks there.

So many great fights on the undercard as well. Hope Rory MacDonald smashes Nate Diaz.

parasight said:

Where do you check RSVP?
Ufcfightclub.com

Log in and go to the events page, there should be a spot on there to RSVP and to get a printout with a barcode. As for the time to get there, go right fucking now. There is a panel with all 7 UFC champs at 3pm followed by the weigh ins and I remember getting to the 126 line about an hour before the Q&A started and I was still pretty damn far back in line. That was Vegas.

At the weigh ins, they didn't verify fight club membership.......strange lol

Lol @ them selling food in here

Should get good pics

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Lol wat. Weigh-in GAF, is the music really that loud to distort the scale? They've been doing this thing for years and it's the first time I recall them using that as an excuse. Sounds like they really wanted Bendo to make weight.

bone_and_sinew said:
Weigh-in GAF, is the music really that loud to distort the scale?
Both my times I've been to a weigh in (both times at Mandalay Bay in Vegas) the music wasn't very loud. This place probably has a louder sound system.

polyh3dron said:
Holy shit hominick looks really sucked in. He's .25 over, which he can't be for a title fight.
Oh, that is really disappointing. He was probably going to lose anyway but Aldo will murder him if he's fatigued from the cut.

Good for Shields. He had to have cut better than he did last time.

Ikuu

polyh3dron said:
Holy shit hominick looks really sucked in. He's .25 over, which he can't be for a title fight.
I was wondering why they didn't make him weigh in again without his boxers, unless they're going to give him a little time before another weigh-in. Aldo is gonna crush him either way.

Ikuu said:
I was wondering why they didn't make him weigh in again without his boxers, unless they're going to give him a little time before another weigh-in. Aldo is gonna crush him either way.
Wonder if he'll do the lew polley special with the Epsom salts and all that stuff

Wtf I'm looking everywhere and not seeing anything about Hominick having to re-weigh... I thought you couldn't be over the limit at all for a title fight and no one is reporting on it

polyh3dron said:
Wtf I'm looking everywhere and not seeing anything about Hominick having to re-weigh... I thought you couldn't be over the limit at all for a title fight and no one is reporting on it
Actually I didn't know you couldn't be over at all for title fights? Thought it was 1 lb for any weigh-in. Or you meant he's 1.25 over?

DKehoe

polyh3dron said:
So after seeing the weigh ins I definitely have Shields taking this, probably by decision.
Really? I see GSP keeping this standing and Shields really not being able to do much.

ShaneB said:
Jealous of you folks with tickets, especially you Parasight! Very cool how that happened nontheless.

The closer it gets to fight night the more I wish I had bought tickets, or at least had friends that wanted tickets as badly as me. Ah well, it'll be fun to watch regardless.

I'm flip flopping on the GSP/Shields fight... my Canadian pride wants GSP to win, but I'd love to see the clusterfuck of what might happen if Shields win. If Shields win, you would think that GSP would get a rematch no questions asked, so that wouldn't change a thing, and if GSP wins, does he move up a weight class? Etc..

Automatic rematch, I'd guess.

If GSP wins, and does move up, (which will require a huge cash guarantee from Dana) I think it's going to take him a long time to put on the weight the right way. We might not see him fight again for 10-14 months. He won't rush it. (No pun intended) And that's if he goes with a tune-up fight. If the plan is to jump him right into the superfight with Anderson, Georges might take even longer.

ShaneB said:
I'm very excited for the Aldo/Hominick fight. Hominick has been a favourite fighter of mine for quite a while now, and Aldo is a beast obviously, should be fireworks there.

My Main Event. Any Aldo fight is my Main Event. Love watching that guy.

Hominick is a terrifically fierce striker too, but I predict Aldo will show him angles he has never seen before. That's what Jose does better than anybody.

Most people point to his ability to throw anything at anytime, in any strange combination, as his most unique strength. But really, his angles are where it's at. That's what makes his strikes work. Even when he just looks like he's just throwing down and pouring on a flurry of strikes--watch his movement--he's still moving in to take the most advantageous angle.

ShaneB said:
So many great fights on the undercard as well. Hope Rory MacDonald smashes Nate Diaz.

He won't. Nate's gonna put him in the murderator and murderize him.

polyh3dron said:
Wonder if he'll do the lew polley special with the Epsom salts and all that stuff

Don't think Hominick will have to weigh again if he was just .25 over clothed.

Henderson is another story. Dude was over naked. Probably have to go straight sauna. I think you need like three hours to go with the hot tub/salts method. You only get two hours for the re-weigh.

156u2au.jpg

Seagal using Forbidden Psychological Technology CONFIRMED.

I'm switching my prediction from Couture to Machida right now.

Also, even though I saw it actually happening on video, Seagal's head still looks photoshopped in this shot for some reason, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom