• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UFC 129 Thread of 55,000 people chanting "GSP! GSP!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
parrotbeak said:
Kos' stand up is pretty dangerous though. I'd say standing with him was riskier for GSP than going to ground.

I thought it was kind of overrated. He won a few matches with it and fell in love with it and forgot he's a great wrestler. It's the Rashad disease. He thinks he's got great standup because he can dance around and became the 87th person to knock Chuck the fuck out and abandoned his wrestling advantage. I think GSP and his team thought they could exploit it and they did.

Boogie

Ninja Scooter said:
He'll probably use his size/strength to just wrestlefuck Nick all night long and win a decision that way. that's the thing about GSP, he's actually fairly smart in that he finds his opponents weakness and exploits it over and over and over. Kos and Shields both were more dangerous on the ground, and have terrible standup, so GSP can jab them to death and stay away from their strength.

We saw GSP/Nick Diaz last night.

It was Macdonald/Nate.

DKehoe

parrotbeak said:
Kos' stand up is pretty dangerous though. I'd say standing with him was riskier for GSP than going to ground.
Yeh, Kos' weakest area would be to put him on his back.

Ninja Scooter said:
I thought it was kind of overrated. He won a few matches with it and fell in love with it and forgot he's a great wrestler. It's the Rashad disease. He thinks he's got great standup because he can dance around and became the 87th person to knock Chuck the fuck out and abandoned his wrestling advantage. I think GSP and his team thought they could exploit it and they did.
Ya, no doubt GSP's stand up is way better, and Kos' gets talked up because all he did was wrestle on TUF. But he could have landed one punch and won, whereas Jake had to take it to ground to win. So GSP didn't play it that safe in the Kos fight, not as safe as he could have played it.

And he did keep throwing spinning back kicks at Jake, even though that opened him up to a takedown if Jake could time it right.

Not to come off as a GSP apologist, it was a boring ass fight, especially with how good all the other fights were. They should give half their purse to the rest of the fighters.

Tabris

dem said:
The only thing that could ruin this night in Toronto is GSP blowing it.

I was reading through the thread and it was this comment that jinxed it :p

Amazing UFC card, even if the main bout wasn't that exciting.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Jake definitely shares the blame. So what, you arguably won a couple rounds and were close in the rest. Big fucking whoop. Everyone's gameplan against GSP seems to be to squeak out a moral victory. I mean there's ten seconds left, Jake is clearly losing, and he's still not doing jack shit. Shows you what his attitude was going into the fight. Anyone who watched him before knows he's a boring-ass fighter anyway unless he's competing against someone who has zero ground skills. The only positive for him was that his standup was a little better than expected (not saying much considering how little was expected). But it's hard to say how much of that was attributable to GSP being off his game (maybe permanently, who knows).

Anyway like I said before much as I am not a fan of the guy he is still top-level. I would love to see the Mayhem rematch but maybe they'll think that's beneath him at the moment and make Mayhem win a couple first. Everyone thinks Jake will walk over Fitch and Kos but I think that's really up in the air too. Kos maybe because Kos is a moron, but the Fitch fight would be a really tough one for him. Especially if Fitch gets off that vegan shit or at least puts on some weight again.

JB1981

GSP seemed so scared to take the fight to the ground. Is Shields' ground game really that much better? GSP's game plan came off very one dimensional for such a dynamic fighter.

JimiNutz

Banned
JB1981 said:
GSP seemed so scared to take the fight to the ground. Is Shields' ground game really that much better? GSP's game plan came off very one dimensional for such a dynamic fighter.

The biggest disappointment for me was the lack of variety in his striking - especially in the later rounds.
The eye injury really seemed to mess with him, can't be nice if you can only see outta one eye and with striking it really messes with your depth perception.

GSP was throwing that looping overhead right to try and get over the top of Jake's high left hand, but I don't really remember him throwing any body shots in the later rounds to mix it up - that would have had Jake either bringing his hand down to counter, or if he started landing some nice rib/kidney shots I guarantee Jake's hands would have started to lower.
I don't remember him throwing any leg kicks either in the later rounds (although I'm guessing this is because he didn't want to risk getting taken down).

His stand up clearly deteriorated after his eye got jacked, and understandably so, but to be honest it didn't even look that impressive in the first two rounds.

Compare the range of strikes that GSP threw compared to say Jose Aldo who was throwing body punches, leg kicks and then head punches all in the same combo...and against an opponent with better stand up to Shields...

JB1981

NutJobJim said:
Compare the range of strikes that GSP threw compared to say Jose Aldo who was throwing body punches, leg kicks and then head punches all in the same combo...and against an opponent with better stand up to Shields...

Yep Aldo attacked w/ a purpose, GSP looked so tentative. Aldo is a damn fun fighter to watch, first time I've ever seen him fight, though I was pulling for Hominic. That was an awesome fight.

AstroLad said:
Jake definitely shares the blame. So what, you arguably won a couple rounds and were close in the rest. Big fucking whoop. Everyone's gameplan against GSP seems to be to squeak out a moral victory. I mean there's ten seconds left, Jake is clearly losing, and he's still not doing jack shit. Shows you what his attitude was going into the fight. Anyone who watched him before knows he's a boring-ass fighter anyway unless he's competing against someone who has zero ground skills. The only positive for him was that his standup was a little better than expected (not saying much considering how little was expected). But it's hard to say how much of that was attributable to GSP being off his game (maybe permanently, who knows).

Anyway like I said before much as I am not a fan of the guy he is still top-level. I would love to see the Mayhem rematch but maybe they'll think that's beneath him at the moment and make Mayhem win a couple first. Everyone thinks Jake will walk over Fitch and Kos but I think that's really up in the air too. Kos maybe because Kos is a moron, but the Fitch fight would be a really tough one for him. Especially if Fitch gets off that vegan shit or at least puts on some weight again.
this.

I don't know WTF Jake's been doing at that Fairtex Muay Thai gym in the last few years but it doesn't seem to be working. GSP can't see out of his left eye for 2 rounds and Jake can't throw a few right hooks FFS? Why was he so afraid of over committing, because he'd get taken down or something which is bringing GSP right into his world? Was he afraid of GSP's devastating KO power when GSP himself is making an effort not to overcommit? I don't give a fuck how shitty your striking is, if your opponent can't see out of one eye you fucking blitz him. GSP wasn't threatening Jake with shit.

DKehoe

I'd love to know what the Shields gameplan was. No shooting for takedowns, no pulling guard, no clinching except a few brief times. I guess maybe they hoped GSP would trip?

MjFrancis

MjFrancis said:
Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre vs. Jake Shields [decision]
Featherweight Championship bout: José Aldo vs. Mark Hominick [KO, 3rd]
Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida [KO, 2nd]
Light Heavyweight bout: Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Jason Brilz [Submission, 2nd]
Lightweight bout: Mark Bocek vs. Ben Henderson [Submission, 1st]
I think Hendo might get it by decision, though. Nothing solid behind it, just a hunch.
I'm glad I changed my vote for Henderson to a decision victory. That gave me three correct picks and a Jose Aldo fight that at least turned out as a victory for him. I definitely give Matyushenko props for ending it in twenty seconds!

I know nothing is ever set in stone, but hey, I called the Machida/Couture fight last week! Yeah, I picked the "favorite," but I picked the when and the how, too. Kind of sad that it came to pass, though, since I like Couture so much. I'm glad the fighters were respectful in the end.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
MjFrancis said:
I'm glad I changed my vote for Henderson to a decision victory. That gave me three correct picks and a Jose Aldo fight that at least turned out as a victory for him. I definitely give Matyushenko props for ending it in twenty seconds!

I know nothing is ever set in stone, but hey, I called the Machida/Couture fight last week! Yeah, I picked the "favorite," but I picked the when and the how, too. Kind of sad that it came to pass, though, since I like Couture so much. I'm glad the fighters were respectful in the end.

ahem

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
one thing i didn't get was why aldo didn't target that hematoma. like just dig his elbow into it. i mean i know it's gross but if the dude wants to keep fighting he should be given no quarter

AstroLad said:
one thing i didn't get was why aldo didn't target that hematoma. like just dig his elbow into it. i mean i know it's gross but if the dude wants to keep fighting he should be given no quarter
Probably same reason he stops fighting when he hits someone low, even when the ref doesn't stop it. He's done that before also, giving the other guy an unofficial rest break.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
parrotbeak said:
Probably same reason he stops fighting when he hits someone low, even when the ref doesn't stop it. He's done that before also, giving the other guy an unofficial rest break.
Yeah I got that impression almost like he was specifically avoiding targeting it. I'm generally a guy who thinks a fight should be called when someone is fucked up like that (and there's certainly precedent for it). The low-blow thing was hilarious b/c he stopped fighting and hominick was like I'm OK and you could tell he was ready to go but aldo wasn't it was almost like an excess of politeness.

JimiNutz

Banned
Surely they won't need to drain it.
Unlike Staph which is a build up of some vile bacteria shit that swelling is just loads of blood; eventually the swelling will go down and it'll just look like a nasty bruise?

I'm simply guessing here because I've never seen/had one that big before...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ninja Scooter said:
Watching staph infection drainage videos on youtube is a pasttime of mine. Yes, I really do.

Look up Hematoma draining on youtube, I'm sure you'll find some.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
any other gifs/angles of lyoto's kick? specifically, one with the set up too

Norml

op_ivy said:
any other gifs/angles of lyoto's kick? specifically, one with the set up too

kick-o.gif

Asbel

Host Samurai said:
Lots of good fights for Jake Shields now both in WW or MW. I think I would rather see Shields vs Silva than GSP vs Silva.
Oh god no. We've seen Silva fight two bjj guys already, lol.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It is kind of a joke to think anyone could give Silva a good fight anymore. Other than Sonnen + roids (sorry, naturopath-prescribed testosterone) I guess. And even then he'd just get subbed at some point like he always does. I'd be more excited for Diaz-GSP than Silva-anyone at MW.

Jon Jones sure it's a good possibility, but only because of the physical advantages.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Host Samurai said:
Lots of good fights for Jake Shields now both in WW or MW. I think I would rather see Shields vs Silva than GSP vs Silva.

Shields vs Silva is the funniest thing I've hard all day.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
TheRagnCajun said:
Damn I didn't catch that before...thats dirty
Yeah on the broadcast they made it seem like it was a punch that caught him but it's funny to see that pretty much the only reason the fight was even competitive at all, and the only reason Shields stole a round or two, was because he raked GSP in the eye. And even then he still couldn't really do shit.

Asbel

AstroLad said:
It is kind of a joke to think anyone could give Silva a good fight anymore. Other than Sonnen + roids (sorry, naturopath-prescribed testosterone) I guess. And even then he'd just get subbed at some point like he always does. I'd be more excited for Diaz-GSP than Silva-anyone at MW.

Jon Jones sure it's a good possibility, but only because of the physical advantages.
Nah, I'd say the top wrestlers would give Silva fits. Rashad or King Mo have a good chance of gnp like Sonnen did. I know gaf hates wrestlers but gnp looks to be the weakness of blackhouse.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
But you are talking LHW guys; I was talking MW. Sonnen is the best wrestler at MW and Silva still beat him even when he was roiding. I think Evans and Mo would get knocked out so violently though fwiw. Mo couldn't even handle Feijao's standup.

Asbel

AstroLad said:
But you are talking LHW guys; I was talking MW. Sonnen is the best wrestler at MW and Silva still beat him even when he was roiding.
Only cuz you brought up Jon Jones. No big deal.

AstroLad said:
But you are talking LHW guys; I was talking MW. Sonnen is the best wrestler at MW and Silva still beat him even when he was roiding. I think Evans and Mo would get knocked out so violently though fwiw. Mo couldn't even handle Feijao's standup.
Rashad would get knocked the Fuck out.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Asbel said:
Only cuz you brought up Jon Jones. No big deal.
Oh I see what you're saying. Yeah, I do think Jones would be the only guy with a chance but he can't make MW so it would have to be at catch or even more likely LHW. I know it'll never happen though. Silva probably gets to ride off into the sunset.

mr2xxx

Banned
Main fight was boring, never felt GSP was in any danger. To bad GSP could not finish of Shields. I gotta say that ALdo vs. the canadien Hellboy was an epic match. Thought it should of been stopped after he started looking like a supervillian but he had heart. Great way to end it by him being so close to a victory.

mr2xxx said:
Main fight was boring, never felt GSP was in any danger. To bad GSP could not finish of Shields. I gotta say that ALdo vs. the canadien Hellboy was an epic match. Thought it should of been stopped after he started looking like a supervillian but he had heart. Great way to end it by him being so close to a victory.

Probably match of the night. That kid took 3 KO hits (or near-KO anyways) but was able to recover fast enough to defend himself and continue the fight. Made for a great match even if you knew he was loosing badly by Round 3.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Shields fucking withstood (barely, but still) Hendo's overhand right. There's almost no way GSP finishing him no matter what he did. It was a total lose-lose fight for him from that perspective, and that's not even accounting for the eye-poke that reduced his effectiveness even more. There was no way he was finishing Shields and it's not like people are giving him much credit for the win even though Shields has pretty great credentials.

yacobod

Banned
dana needs to get over to stockton, CA and get nick diaz to fight gsp asap. ufc could market and hype the hell out of this fight. you couldn't find 2 bigger polar opposites heading into a fight.

on one hand you have gsp who is an athlete first, boring, fake, who doesn't like to get hit, and is a company shill who is primarily concerned with his image/brand. and then you have nick diaz who is a fighter first, says whats on his mind, isn't afraid to beat his opponents at their own game, has an iron chin, and is an uncompromising space cadet.

the way i see it nick has better hands, bjj, conditioning, and chin. only advantage gsp has is wrestling, so it's possible he could just lnp for 5 rounds to win.

BUT nick has the best hands out of anyone that gsp has fought, and if K-1 level striker jake shields could put a beating on georges, i'm pretty sure over the course of a 5 round fight nick's volume of strikes would accumulate and finish georges. probably see him tapping to strikes again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom