• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UFC 129 Thread of 55,000 people chanting "GSP! GSP!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream

Better than "Lyoto, were you happy when people cheered for Randy?"

Or "Dana can you institute a takedown bonus and call it Throw Dough?"

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Dana says Machida-Shogun III a possibility.

Let's do it. Lyoto gets his revenge on the road back to the title.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sien916 said:
Please no...GSP vs. Diaz is the only fight I'd care to see.

Who would you guys like to see Shields fight? I guess Fitch or Koscheck could be interesting...
I think Shields matches up pretty well against anybody. He will always be an insanely boring fighter but hey. I want to see him fight Mayhem again so Mayhem can squeeze him all the way unconscious this time instead of Jake being barely saved by the bell.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
polyh3dron said:
Shields vs Kos for lulz

I think it would actually be a pretty good fight, Kos would probably knock him out. He'd be able to stuff takedowns and would strike a lot after seeing Shields weak ass standup.... I say make it happen.

And if he looses and gets subbed who cares, Kos is a dick.

Win Win.

Cerrius said:
Dana says Machida-Shogun III a possibility.

Let's do it. Lyoto gets his revenge on the road back to the title.

Lyoto gets his skull caved in...... but would Shogun want to win and possibly fight Bones again????? lol "fuck that"

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
fitch would beat shields. he has amazing sub defense. even tho i think shields' bjj is way fucking overrated but w/e

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i wonder when kos will fight again. supposedly he is still really fucked up w nerve damage from the gsp fight

Heel

Still brainstorming for Shields...Penn, Alves, Marquardt/Rumble winner? There's actually a ton of interesting fights for Shields out there.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
what was shields's gameplan at all anyway. typical gsp opponent. he performed better than expected striking yet still clearly lost, here have the dan hardy memorial i didn't get finished sticker

Heel

BigJonsson said:
Why didn't Shields try to actually take GSP down? Everytime he looked like he was going to give it a good effort he gave up

There's was a few times in the middle of the fight where he dove for a leg. Ended up on his knees with GSP well out of danger.

I talked about this on page two...GSP isn't Hendo, very hard to get in range to secure a TD.

There was a few times he was near a clench in the middle of the ring and GSP pushed off. I guess he could've tried pushing forward for a trip or something? The one time he had him clenched against the cage GSP immediately turned Shields.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I was more perturbed by Rory MacDonald's bacne than anything else in that fight. Made Sonnen look like . . . I dunno, some model who has clear skin.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
BigJonsson said:
Anyone else enjoy Nate Diaz getting suplexed at will?

Oh hell yes, would have been so sweet if he was waving his arms like a dicks asking McDonald to hit him right before he got smashed 3 times.

AstroLad said:
I was more perturbed by Rory MacDonald's bacne than anything else in that fight. Made Sonnen look like . . . I dunno, some model who has clear skin.

Young dude, most likely natural. I

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
MachidaCouture1.jpg

Good stuff, awesome pic

dankir

I'm from Montreal, born and raised but straight the fuck up GSPs fights are really really fucking boring.

Dude has to do what he needs to retain the title belt, but goddamn that was just a boxing match.

I just got home.
I thought it was a really good card with the prelim fights being good and the Aldo fight being brutal as hell. Fuck, we used the DVR to watch the replay of his head just ballooning up after Aldo gave him that shot. It's a shame the finale couldn't keep up. I hope GSP can see fine, he brought it up all during the interview. It's never bothered ME that he doesn't knock guys out but it seems to bother him and he just keeps promising it. I wish he would just be himself and be ok with it.

BigJonsson said:
Anyone else enjoy Nate Diaz getting suplexed at will?
so much. I was in heaven. I was praying for it to go to the judges to see him and Nick cry about the decision.

Fuck the Diaz Bros and their "c'mon bitch" taunting during fights.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
GSP fights are boring now. It has come down to GSP outclassing the entire welterweight division so terribly that nobody can even put up a decent effort against him.

Speaking of Seagal......

A friend of mine claims that he was at a chinese restaurant after the fights and Seagal was 15 feet from him :eek:

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
it's pretty crazy how mma is being rewritten so often now based on stuff seagal learned in japan decades ago and then tweaked to perfection.

wonder if pettis got taught his kick from seagal and just failed to give him credit. seagal is such a humble guy i wouldn't be surprised if he didn't speak up if that was true.

dream said:
You know what? Anderson's trolling fights are at least funny to watch. The only person amused by GSP's """"""""""athleticism"""""""""" is Boogie, who probably sat there masturbating furiously in sync with GSP's pawing jab.

GSP fans <3 scorecards.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
AstroLad said:
it's pretty crazy how mma is being rewritten so often now based on stuff seagal learned in japan decades ago and then tweaked to perfection.

wonder if pettis got taught his kick from seagal and just failed to give him credit. seagal is such a humble guy i wouldn't be surprised if he didn't speak up if that was true.

Is Seagal actually highly respected in the martial arts world? What is the story behind his presence at these fights?

parasight

Just checking in to say, the night was amazing (albeit the main event was very lacklustre and I admit this as a big GSP homer). Our section was literally next to the MMA Live booth, so we were chanting "KENNY! KENNY!" a whole lot of times and he was a pro about it; really great guy. Bonnar not so much. BJ, Jones, Condit and Rashad all dropped by at various times as well.

I'd love to talk more about the night in detail but I'm so fucking drained from this whole damn week of events. I'm insanely sick, and I can hardly speak anymore because my voice has disappeared. I really hope the crowd was as loud and impressive as it was hyped up to be. I know I did my part.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You know for such a supposed elite grappler, Shields did sweet fuck all to try and get it to the floor. You'd think by round 4 he'd start going for broke but he seemed content to just let GSP win. What a pathetic shitass performance.

Cerrius said:
MachidaCouture1.jpg

Good stuff, awesome pic

Will The Ram be remembered? He has lost quite a lot.. But that man really is a true Warrior. He takes any fight even if he is going to loose.

I wonder if his son can live up this his legacy... Ryan is it?

Biff

Great night! Saw GSP win, and while I'm guessing most people weren't very impressed, a win for my favourite fighter is still a win for my favourite fighter :p

Stuck around after the fights. Got to meet Dana and Nick Diaz. Dana is the real deal. He stayed like half an hour late signing autographs and meeting fans while his handlers were trying to rush him to the press conference. He wouldn't have any of it.

Also got some quick high-fives with Nate Diaz, Jose Aldo, Joe Rogan and Jake Shields. Jake looked perfectly fine after the fight. Nate was a bit banged up but still in good spirits. Jose Aldo looked pretty messed up but was super happy.

Shortly after, my friends and I left Rogers Centre only to find Greg Jackson and a couple of his teammates lost in downtown Toronto trying to get back to their hotel. So we offered to guide them back. Got to walk and talk with Greg for a few blocks back to his hotel. Talked about GSP and Bones Jones. Nice guy!

People are surprised that the GSP fight was boring?

I wanted GSP to lose for one reason only. Because the majority of his fights are boring. There are VERY few fighters that I root against for that reason, and that reason only. He is very boring and doesn't finish people. He won't change, somebody just has to dethrone him. He needs to stop being a headline fighter so he can stop shitting up every fight card he's on.

Fights 1-4 were great. Some of the prelims were great. But having a boring main card just sucks.

Floyd Mayweather is another fighter I hate for the same reason, and this reason only. My god is he boring, and needs to get his ass kicked.

Edit - It's not him outclassing people that makes his fights boring. Pacqiuo (sp?) outclasses everybody in every weight class he has been in (his current weight class may cause some issues for him though). Yet all of Manny's fights have been entertaining to me. He's a fighter, and he fights to finish people. GSP does the opposite. GSP goes for points. Boring.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
SlipperySlope said:

I wanted GSP to lose for one reason only. Because the majority of his fights are boring. There are VERY few fighters that I root against for that reason, and that reason only. He is very boring and doesn't finish people. He won't change, somebody just has to dethrone him. He needs to stop being a headline fighter so he can stop shitting up every fight card he's on.

Fights 1-4 were great. Some of the prelims were great. But having a boring main card just sucks.

Floyd Mayweather is another fighter I hate for the same reason, and this reason only. My god is he boring, and needs to get his ass kicked.

Shields made that fight boring. Of the 2 guys in there, GSP was the only fighter who did what he needed to do to win. Shields just showed up to collect a paycheck.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
SlipperySlope said:

Edit - It's not him outclassing people that makes his fights boring. Pacqiuo (sp?) outclasses everybody in every weight class he has been in (his current weight class may cause some issues for him though). Yet all of Manny's fights have been entertaining to me. He's a fighter, and he fights to finish people. GSP does the opposite. GSP goes for points. Boring.

Devil's advocate... GSP was throwing haymakers. He is always about limiting the risk, but I thought I saw him swinging for the fences at times. Although I can't forgive the fact that he didn't go in for the kill after that head kick.

Sinatar said:
Shields made that fight boring. Of the 2 guys in there, GSP was the only fighter who did what he needed to do to win. Shields just showed up to collect a paycheck.

If 90% of a fighter's fights are boring (talking about GSP, not Shields who is another boring fighter), then he's just a boring fighter.

I used to make fun of GSP's strategy a few years back of just laying on people for 3-5 rounds to win on points. That was his only strategy back then. Sure, it worked for him. But was it fun to watch? No. He's been standing the last few fights, but they haven't been any more entertaining.

I mean shit, his last four fights have gone to a decision. What are we watching? Boxing? I don't watch boxing fights anymore unless it's Manny because of the prevalence of fights going to a decision. There's no will to finish people in boxing anymore aside from Manny, and GSP IMO is the same way.

sfedai0

Banned
Boring he may be but until someone figures him out, he deserves to be champ. Though it may be time for him to move up....I mean hes cleaned out his weight class.

RiccochetJ said:
Devil's advocate... GSP was throwing haymakers. He is always about limiting the risk, but I thought I saw him swinging for the fences at times. Although I can't forgive the fact that he didn't go in for the kill after that head kick.

He found a punch that connected, that looping right hook. That's what won him the fight. So he used it once in a while to get the points. He didn't use it to try to finish the fight. He didn't follow it up with anything. It was just "Hey, I hit you. Yay. Now let's wait it out for you to recover, then I'll try it again. Or I might do a jab next time. You know, mix it up a little, right?" Boring.

That's the boxers mentality. Not the warriors mentality. A boxer finds a punch that connects and sticks to it. A warrior tries to follow up that punch and finish things. I just prefer watching warriors.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
SlipperySlope said:
He found a punch that connected, that looping right hook. That's what won him the fight. So he used it once in a while to get the points. He didn't use it to try to finish the fight. He didn't follow it up with anything. It was just "Hey, I hit you. Yay. Now let's wait it out for you to recover, then I'll try it again. Or I might do a jab next time. You know, mix it up a little, right?" Boring.

That's the boxers mentality. Not the warriors mentality. A boxer finds a punch that connects and sticks to it. A warrior tries to follow up that punch and finish things. I just prefer watching warriors.
Shields was only knocked down once before. GSP makes it two. Shields hadn't lost in 6 years. I can't forgive some of the things that GSP did, but at the same time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom