• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UFC 129 Thread of 55,000 people chanting "GSP! GSP!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://hosteddb.fightmetric.com/events/details/534

Fightmetric has the significant strikes 85-78 GSP-Shields. I wouldn't be surprised if Compustrike and Fightmetric has Shields outstriking him in some rounds.

alr1ghtstart said:
dot dot dot

fighters use a big weight cut to their advantage size wise (see Rumble Johnson). Not really any fights at their natural weight.

Anderson walks around at 220ish, and then cuts to 185.
He's only 213 now despite a fight being 4 months away and he's been 207 'out of shape.' He does not cut from anywhere near 220. At most 205 (which he has mentioned before) and probably lower sometimes. GSP was 194 coming into the fight. There isn't that big a weight difference and the reach is basically even.

He's fought Alves and Hardy who are both ~200 lb welterweights, so he shouldn't have an issue with size for a catch-weight fight.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
EviLore said:
Jake Shields seriously has the weakest strikes I've ever seen from a professional MMA fighter in the modern era. It's like watching UFC 1 Royce Gracie in 2011. Except with 25 minutes of standup.

Kill me now.

I don't know if it's a fuzzy memory, but the worst striking I've seen besides Shields was Matthew Riddle "shadow" boxing like an idiot, throwing punches desperately trying to KTFO the air in front of him.

Tapiozona said:
Funny how St. Pierre is the conservative pussy now I remember this board saying the same shit about Anderson and his last..3 fights?

They're both afraid to lose.
Specific quotes?

How the fuck could he be conservative when in 2 of his last 3 fights he had a first round K.O. and in the other got trashed and manhandled until he pulled out a sub?

No one actually thought the reason Anderson put on the performance he did against Maia was because he was scared, he taunted him with his hands down a majority of the fight...

Zeliard

dem said:
Georges has completely cleaned out the division.
There is no one else to match him up with.

Though at least we get to see stuff like Jake Shields vs. Jon Fitch now.

Brace yourselves people.

DominoKid

Clearly Anderson is the true king number #1 P4P.

He'd tap-dance on GSP's face. GSP never faced anybody w/ surgical fire and pop like that.

Blackface

Banned
JakOfTheShadows said:
All I can do now is just laugh. Hominick grew another head and didn't seem to even care, and here is GSP freaking out in between rounds to the point where they have to calm him down from any little damage.

spoken like a fat pig who has never competed in a sport before. You don't know how bad the damage is by looking at someone. Yes Mark's looked worse, but for all you know GSP could have a detached retina.

GSP said twice that he can't see out of his eye. That would scare anyone. GSP has fought with a busted up face before (the first Penn fight), and never complained, and kept fighting.

he fought with a torn groin, was not worried and kept fighting.

Please stop acting like GSP is some pussy that hides when he is hurt. If something is bothering him badly enough for GSP to be worried, it's a problem.

dream

Look, GSP's reaction to the visible (and very cosmetic) damage he suffered says it all. He doesn't care about challenges. He doesn't care about fighting. He doesn't care about legacy. He cares about his image. He wants to leverage it to get endorsements and maybe launch a film career. Fighting is merely a means to building the GSP brand.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Funny how St. Pierre is the conservative pussy now I remember this board saying the same shit about Anderson and his last..3 fights?

"This board" doesn't say things, specific people say things.

AranhaHunter said:
Anything is possible I guess, FWIW Okami won the first fight by being illegally knocked out.

A Franklin rematch would be interesting.

He was about to wrestlefuck Anderson until the fucker threw a nasty up kick.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
GSP is still talented, but not the exciting fighter he used to be.

Makes me sad, the more he gets popular the less of an entertaining fighter he's become.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Cerrius said:
Who do you guys think is next for Machida?

Hard to say since Rampage is fighting Hammil, Forrest is fighting Shogun, Ace is fighting Little Nog and Bader is fighting Tito. All these fights are real soon as well.

Blackface

Banned
dream said:
Look, GSP's reaction to the visible (and very cosmetic) damage he suffered says it all. He doesn't care about challenges. He doesn't care about fighting. He doesn't care about legacy. He cares about his image. He wants to leverage it to get endorsements and maybe launch a film career. Fighting is merely a means to building the GSP brand.

You should be banned for posting dumb stuff like this. I have seen people banned for much less. It's plain and simple trolling.

zsswimmer

Wish GSP would actually go for a finish. Gives the same line at the end saying I wish I could give you guys a finish. So boring.

ShaneB said:
GSP not wanting to fight Silva would be no different than Silva not wanting to fight Bones Jones.

Fair enough, so let's have GSP go up and fight a Top 10 ex UFC champ on the division first, just to test the waters, let's say....Vitor Belfort?

I would love to see Nick Diaz and GSP for the unification. One thing my dad said to me during the fight was dont expect UFC to sell 55000 seats again any time soon.

I hate how we havent seen any decent Heavyweights fight in main events since Lesnar and Velasquez and then JDS/Nelson. They need to step that shit up, I love watching Heavyweights.

For the record, I don't think GSP is a "pussy" or sucks, his biggest flaw comes from the fact that he is TOO dominant, and can usually beat his opponents by finding one weakness and exploiting the hell out of it to spam out a decision. If my dad decided to play me in Street Fighter, I could probably beat him by spamming fireballs at his ass, but that doesn't mean it would be entertaining for anyone to watch. GSP's current fighting style is boring and not very fan friendly. I do wonder how this will start to be received by the general public. Right now, he's immensely popular and a huge name/draw, but does that start to take a hit? Do PPV numbers start to dip? I don't know, is GSP starting to become the "boring guy" to any of your casual MMA watching friends?

Tapiozona said:
He put a beating on Alves. Any other fighter on the planet would have been TKO'd in his position.

Yeah, but Alves has been finished before. GSP just didn't do it.

Ninja Scooter said:
GSP doesn't have to do shit. If he doesn't want to take the fight on his own accord, you think he'll magically agree when he's basically being forced into it? He can just stay at 170 and there's nothing Dana can really do about it. He's a huge draw, what are they gonna do, cut him? Unless Anderson drops to 170 they can't force him into that fight.

GSP can just tell Dana he doesn't want it behind the scenes, Dana will stop bringing it up in public and start turning Silva/Bones into the next fantasy mega fight.

You could definitely be right. But my feeling is that it's been nothing more than an idea that's been floated around to see what type of interest there is in the fight (especially since interest in Silva fluctuates so much due to his antics). I don't think that he's really committed to actually pushing the fight to happen yet. If Anderson beats Okami then I think we'll finally see some real movement on the fight one way or the other.

Blackface said:
You should be banned for posting dumb stuff like this. I have seen people banned for much less. It's plain and simple trolling.

You don't come around the MMA thread much do you? He hates GSP because he made his man crush quit.

I love you Dream ;)

mcrae

Blackface said:
Most fighters walk around 20-30 lbs heavier then they fight. He would not have to gain any weight at all.

lol you want a guy to fight at his walking-around weight against a guy who will cut 30 pounds to fight him?

*nods* makes sense.

soi missed the fight, is anyone willing to provid e aparagraph summary of what happened? it was boring i guess, what made it boring? gsp's eye is fucked?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
dream said:

He still cares about fighting, he cares about challegens, and he cares about his legacy/image. Also building the GSP brand is smart as hell. He needs to think about his post fight career too. The problem i think is that he isn't exciting like he used to be although he is still very talented.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
pseudocaesar said:
I would love to see Nick Diaz and GSP for the unification. One thing my dad said to me during the fight was dont expect UFC to sell 55000 seats again any time soon.

He would just wrestlefuck him.

dream said:

notsureifserious.gif

charsace

EviLore said:
Jake Shields seriously has the weakest strikes I've ever seen from a professional MMA fighter in the modern era. It's like watching UFC 1 Royce Gracie in 2011. Except with 25 minutes of standup.

Kill me now.
Yup. He's basically super Royce. Can't strike for shit, but can take damage until he gets some type of opening to work with.

Instro

zsswimmer said:
Wish GSP would actually go for a finish. Gives the same line at the end saying I wish I could give you guys a finish. So boring.

He tried to sub Dan Hardy a bunch of times in their fight, it just didnt work.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
mcrae said:
soi missed the fight, is anyone willing to provid e aparagraph summary of what happened? it was boring i guess, what made it boring? gsp's eye is fucked?

GSP's opponent cowered in fear and forgot the game plan.

alr1ght

SolidSnakex said:
You could definitely be right. But my feeling is that it's been nothing more than an idea that's been floated around to see what type of interest there is in the fight (especially since interest in Silva fluctuates so much due to his antics). I don't think that he's really committed to actually pushing the fight to happen yet. If Anderson beats Okami then I think we'll finally see some real movement on the fight one way or the other.

Anderson is 36. If it's going to happen, it needs to happen relatively soon.

mcrae said:

jab jab jab, looping overhand right, jab jab jab, looping overhand right, jab jab jab, looping overhand right, jab jab jab, looping overhand right. win.

ShaneB

pseudocaesar said:

I hate how we havent seen any decent Heavyweights fight in main events since Lesnar and Velasquez and then JDS/Nelson. They need to step that shit up, I love watching Heavyweights.

Really??

oFyUj.gif

edit: Seriously though, I find Heavyweights so god damn boring, but people love seeing those big lugs knock each other out I guess.

dream

AwesomeSauce said:
He still cares about fighting, he cares about challegens, and he cares about his legacy/image. Also building the GSP brand is smart as hell. He needs to think about his post fight career too. The problem i think is that he isn't exciting like he used to be although he is still very talented.

No, he doesn't care about challenges. We know this because he just took the path of least resistance for the 4th consecutive time. And two of those were against such threats as Outlaw Dan Hardy and Jake Shields.

GSP hasn't stopped anyone since January of 2009 -- and he had to cheat to win that fight.

There's nothing wrong with having an exit strategy and I can't even fault someone for playing it safe at every possible opportunity. But let's not pretend GSP is some sort of Fedoresque world beater. He's more like Pat Miletich with a better body.

Measley

Ninja Scooter said:
I don't know, is GSP starting to become the "boring guy" to any of your casual MMA watching friends?

After the Jon Jones main event last month, my friends thought this one was absolutely terrible.

AwesomeSauce said:
If his intention is building a brand then he is doing a poor job of it. He will not gain fans with performances like this--he had Canadians booing him despite being the most popular and only Canadian fighter of note. He is destroying his previously bought good will and legacy if anything.

I mean Bernard Hopkins went over a decade without being defeated, yet Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard or even Gatti are more popular despite having multiple loses because they took risk and entertained first and foremost.

alr1ght

ShaneB said:
Really??

[IaMG]http://i.imgur.com/oFyUj.gif[/IMG]
using a TUF gif...

alr1ghtstart said:
Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre vs. Jake Shields [decision]
Featherweight Championship bout: José Aldo vs. Mark Hominick [TKO, 2nd]
Light Heavyweight bout: Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Jason Brilz [Submission, 2nd]
Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida [TKO, 2nd]
Lightweight bout: Mark Bocek vs. Ben Henderson [Decision]
got all my picks right (basically). XD

I think GSP just sees himself as a finely tuned fighting machine. That's why he freaks out so much in between rounds when this hurts or that feels funny. It's like a car where the steering feels off by a fraction of an inch, and he can just tell. He apologizes after boring fights, but I don't think he cares, it's just lip service. It's why I don't think he will fight Silva. He's not interested in creating exciting moments or build his legacy on fan memories, I think looks at opposing fighters like a puzzle he has to decifer and wants to get 100%. He's always come across to me as he approaches fighting different from most other MMA guys.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
pseudocaesar said:

Don't worry, you'll get to see Travis Browne vs Stefan Struve on a main card in 4 weeks.

Instro

Ninja Scooter said:
I think GSP just sees himself as a finely tuned fighting machine. That's why he freaks out so much in between rounds when this hurts or that feels funny. It's like a car where the steering feels off by a fraction of an inch, and he can just tell. He apologizes after boring fights, but I don't think he cares, it's just lip service. It's why I don't think he will fight Silva. He's not interested in creating exciting moments or build his legacy on fan memories, I think looks at opposing fighters like a puzzle he has to decifer and wants to get 100%. He's always come across to me as he approaches fighting different from most other MMA guys.

This is the first time Ive seen him freak out in between rounds, considering we dont know what happened to his eye I think thats a bit premature. There must have been something wrong considering all the damage to his face came after the eye injury. Up until that point he had been much more aggressive as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom