• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyougar

While this issue obviously dominates British politics, and thus there is significant overlap, I still think this thread serves a purpose. As a non-Briton, it's a lot more useful as a read than UK PoliGAF is, since I don't have to filter out stuff that isn't particularly relevant to me.

Also, on UK poligaf there is not much talk about the brexit negotiations, just interparty nagging.

Nothing about Barniers points yet.

Uzzy

https://twitter.com/lionelbarber/status/882854476863950848
IMG_20170706_115029.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I have heard some people in the UK argue that one can leave the single market and keep all of its benefits. That is not possible.

I have heard some people in the UK argue that one can leave the single market and build a customs union to achieve frictionless trade. That is not possible.

I wonder how much longer will both Tory and Labour parties pretend that either of this is possible despite these statements.

Theonik

I'm surprised it took them this long to adjust to the new exchange rates.
It's an imaginary good. It has pretty much zero costs associated with it and like any good its value is what the market assigns.
Thus they were willing to make less money out of the UK if it meant sales didn't drop.
The trick is they can play with the value of these points all they like as long as the revenue still balances out.

Hammond still sticking to the leave the single market line. That's not sensible either. And he's saying that if even if opinion shifts against leaving which does seem to be slowly happening he wouldn't undo the vote because people 'made up their minds'? LOL

TimmmV

"Listen guys, even if people change their minds, they have definitely made up their minds and we need to stick with it"

jelly

I don't understand why you can't change your mind if the consequences are dire, that's why politicians and others make these big decisions rather than the public. Every single person that goes through with this when they could have stopped it is a moron.

Koren

I don't understand why you can't change your mind if the consequences are dire, that's why politicians and others make these big decisions rather than the public.
Well, politics decided to have a referendum with the idea that the leave would win just to be able to get political power and have some negociating power with EU.

That doesn't speak that well for them taking big decisions ;)

(Not that the public is better at this, to me, but if the basic idea is that the public can make mistake, don't use referendum to begin with if you don't want to hear the result...)

I also don't understand the softer Brexit approach... It would be basically the same, except that UK wouldn't be able to vote on EU policy? That's just a net loss?

Theonik

I don't understand why you can't change your mind if the consequences are dire, that's why politicians and others make these big decisions rather than the public. Every single person that goes through with this when they could have stopped it is a moron.
I mean everything that's happened so far is exactly what people were warned would happen extensively in the referendum so one can hope people weighed that in when they voted.

jelly

Well, politics decided to have a referendum with the idea that the leave would win just to be able to get political power and have some negociating power with EU.

That doesn't speak that well for them taking big decisions ;)

(Not that the public is better at this, to me, but if the basic idea is that the public can make mistake, don't use referendum to begin with if you don't want to hear the result...)

I also don't understand the softer Brexit approach... It would be basically the same, except that UK wouldn't be able to vote on EU policy? That's just a net loss?

Yeah, soft Brexit is why did you bother, completely pointless and it's probably why hard Brexit will happen.

Sure, politicians don't always get it right but they usually don't offer up a stupid vote like Cameron did to keep his party in check. Everyone knows Brexit is stupid but get on with it somehow is the current line which is baffling.

sammex

Brexit may never happen - Sir Vince Cable

Sir Vince Cable - the likely next Lib Dem leader - says he is "beginning to think Brexit may never happen".

He said "enormous" divisions in the Labour and the Tory parties and a "deteriorating" economy would make people think again.
"People will realise that we didn't vote to be poorer, and I think the whole question of continued membership will once again arise," he said.

From the Andrew Marr show.

Chinner

Banned
We will only be able to make a case that Brexit was a bad idea once it has hit and people start losing their jobs.

In other words, there's no backing out now that we're started.

We will only be able to make a case that Brexit was a bad idea once it has hit and people start losing their jobs.

In other words, there's no backing out now that we're started.

We're going to see the effects long before we've actually left.

https://www.ft.com/content/0c3427b2-5ce1-11e7-9bc8-8055f264aa8b?mhq5j=e2

Investment in the UK car industry has fallen to just £322m in the first half of 2017, in a sign that companies are delaying or cancelling spending ahead of the UK leaving the EU.

Last year £1.66bn was invested in the auto sector, more than 30 per cent down from £2.5bn in 2015, as carmakers and their suppliers delayed non-essential investment following the EU referendum in June 2016.

But investment looks to have fallen even further in the first six months of this year, according to figures compiled by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, an industry body.

If the same levels of investment are seen in the second half of the year, it would bring total annual spend on the UK car industry to just £644m — nearly one-quarter of the amount invested two years ago and a sharper fall than many in the industry had expected.

Public opinion is already swinging firmly towards remaining.

Theonik

We're going to see the effects long before we've actually left.

https://www.ft.com/content/0c3427b2-5ce1-11e7-9bc8-8055f264aa8b?mhq5j=e2

Public opinion is already swinging firmly towards remaining.
Sadly much of the damage is already done. For foreign investors the referendum and subsequent clusterfuck was a pretty clear indication of how unstable the UK is politically. You won't be dumping billions here when the UK can throw a tantrum risking you lose it on a whim.

oti

Banned
EU parliament condemns UK Brexit proposals on citizen rights

BRUSSELS (AP) — The European Parliament’s group on Brexit negotiations has made a damning assessment of British proposals on EU citizens’ rights after the U.K. leaves the European Union, further indication of how tough the two-year negotiations are expected to become.

In a letter Monday to EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier and seen by The Associated Press, the group said “the U.K. does not respect the principles of reciprocity, symmetry and non-discrimination.” Furthermore, it said that under the U.K. proposals made on June 26, EU citizens in Britain would be looking at “nothing less than relegation to second-class status.”

Citizens’ rights in each other’s nations are considered the first issue that both sides must settle.

Even though Barnier is leading the negotiations, the European Parliament still has a veto right on any deal.

https://apnews.com/490ba5a8e6c543bf...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

damn

Nordicus

Sometimes it feels like large part UK's Brexit negotiation strategy is "I hope EU think tanks are as sloppy at reading the fine print as we have been"

Call me an europhile, but I think there are few worse organization to do this with.

Sometimes it feels like large part UK's Brexit negotiation strategy is "I hope EU think tanks are as sloppy at reading the fine print as we have been"

Call me an europhile, but I think there are few worse organization to do this with.

The impression one gets is the apparently infinitely corrupt and chaotic EU is far better at doing what needs to be done in a realistic way than the plucky, no-nonsense, common sense Brits.

Weird, huh. Almost like the tabloid reality of Brexit is, uh, not entirely accurate.

theaface

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40571123

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has told MPs the European Union can "go whistle" for any "extortionate" final payment from the UK on Brexit.

And he said that the government had "no plan" for what to do in the event of no deal being agreed with the EU.

He said: "The sums I have seen that they propose to demand from this country appear to be extortionate."

"Go whistle seems to me to be an entirely appropriate expression," he added.

Asked during Commons questions if there was a strategy, either public or private, for what would happen if there was no agreement on Brexit, Mr Johnson said: "There is no plan for no deal because we are going to get a great deal."

His comments come after No 10 sources played down suggestions that Theresa May plans to walk out of Brexit talks in September to show defiance over EU demands for a divorce bill worth tens of billions of pounds.

Mrs May has said that her view going into the Brexit negotiations was that "no deal is better than a bad deal".

Mr Johnson's comments seem to be at odds with Brexit Secretary David Davis, who told the BBC last month that the government had "worked up in detail" the "no deal" option on Brexit.

giphy.gif

Dougald

Is there anything concrete on what will happen to British expats in the EU? I've assumed that the EU is waiting for Britain to actually offer a decent option to EU residents here first

I am up for a position in the EU so am wondering if the Conservatives are likely screw me over once again

Theonik

Is there anything concrete on what will happen to British expats in the EU? I've assumed that the EU is waiting for Britain to actually offer a decent option to EU residents here first

I am up for a position in the EU so am wondering if the Conservatives are likely screw me over once again
Nobody knows. The EU is prepared to let them stay with the same rights as before, the UK is stubborn, mostly because May has wanted a way to screw over EU citizens for more than 6 years.

And so the EU is not prepared to move forward with any deal unless the UK can agree to reciprocate. A vote for Brexit was a vote for universal suffering and uncertainty for literally millions of people.

Dougald

Nobody knows. The EU is prepared to let them stay with the same rights as before, the UK is stubborn, mostly because May has wanted a way to screw over EU citizens for more than 6 years.

And so the EU is not prepared to move forward with any deal unless the UK can agree to reciprocate. A vote for Brexit was a vote for universal suffering and uncertainty for literally millions of people.

Pretty much as I thought then, it would be a case of "move before March 2019 and hope not to get fucked over"

Pretty much as I thought then, it would be a case of "move before March 2019 and hope not to get fucked over"
You should go for it, it's likely to be easier to move to the continent before Brexit than after it, I'd be very surprised to see people being deported from the EU to the UK. Which country is it?

Worst case scenario if there's no deal the UK applies whatever rules it sees fit and same for all the other EU countries, no common rules at all. Germany applies one set of rules, France another, Spain another, etc, etc, look into what the rules for non EU foreigners are for whatever country you're looking to move into, worst case, those are the rules that will apply to you.

It's Ireland, so I imagine probably the most likely to be lenient to British Citizens anyway
Ah OK, yeah I'd say don't worry about it, if anything now is a good time to move because you'll potentially have more rights in the EU if you move before Brexit than after it. There's no chance Ireland will be kicking working people back to the UK.

Dougald

Well, this is all dependent on me getting the job, but I kind of applied on a "what the hell" basis as it was such a good opportunity, and am now actually making progress, so I need to think about what I'd do if they actually offered me the position.

An Irish recruitment agency contacted me recently about working in the EU actually. I intend to take this opportunity if they have anything that I'm qualified for with both hands.

Dougald

An Irish recruitment agency contacted me recently about working in the EU actually. I intend to take this opportunity if they have anything that I'm qualified for with both hands.

I hope you do. If anyone on GAF has been adamant about keeping their right to work in the EU, it's you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom