• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't want to be 10 years down the road struggling in a EU what clearly still isn't working for the average person where laws are made by unelected bureaucrats.

It might be worthwhile to think about changing your scenery to a place like Australia, Singapore, South Korea, Japan, China, or the US. Won't be perfect, but the grass is greener in a lot of ways.

I didn't like free movement,one size fits all doesn't work imo.
Depends on the subject. And Britain didn't have a one size fits all deal with the rest of the EU. Look up the exceptions towards Schengen, the Euro and their rebate.

I didn't like the fact that our government refused to train up our students to help the nhs (unless they paid out of there arse)
What does the EU have to do with this? Go complain to your government about it.

Then when they are trained they go to US because they earn more.
The US is not in the EU. What is leaving the EU going to solve for this?

I hated the fact that the EU was becoming more and more entangled.[/qutoe]
As compared to what? The world has become more and more entangled. What's wrong with it?

Doesn't exist. And if it came to it, the UK is probably not forced to sent people there or can even stop it from happening. Military integration between allies should be encouraged, since it saves costs and makes everyone safer.

Tak3n

Banned
The extent to which people are worried about immigration is inversely correlated with the actual amount of immigration they see. People who actually experience it aren't fussed.

My prediction was the whole of the east coast vote to leave, only that one area stopped me being spot on

StayDead

Your post just made me realise that I've been hearing people bang on about it for my entire adult life. So depressing.

I still hate that people make such a huge deal about it. Why can't people just get along with people from other countries. Why does all this hate exist.

Crumpo

I didn't like free movement,one size fits all doesn't work imo.I didn't like the fact that our government refused to train up our students to help the nhs (unless they paid out of there arse)Then when they are trained they go to US because they earn more.I hated the fact that the EU was becoming more and more entangled.
EU army.

There's a load of shit in the constitution. EU army has been talked about and dismissed for years. Seems a strange fear to risk so much for...

The students issue is domestic policy; a very valid concern but nothing to do with the EU.

What exactly dont you like about freedom of movement? Sorry but "one size fits all doesnt work" isnt exactly clear to me.

Doopliss

Serious question for people who voted leave:

Is there a brexit deal that can be made with the EU that you and all 17 million other people who voted similarly would find preferable to sticking with the status quo?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
My prediction was the whole of the east coast vote to leave, only that one area stopped me being spot on

And that one area was (surprise!) the only part of the east coast to see significant immigration.

The media created a scary bogeyman that people with no experience to know otherwise bought in to. And that's landed the UK in the worst position its been in since at least the IMF bailout. All round, pretty sad.

I didn't like free movement,one size fits all doesn't work imo.I didn't like the fact that our government refused to train up our students to help the nhs (unless they paid out of there arse)Then when they are trained they go to US because they earn more.I hated the fact that the EU was becoming more and more entangled.
EU army.
But your vote didn't affect free movement, in fact, there's a good chance it will increase it. The government does train up our students to help the NHS, in fact they paid 28k to help my girlfriend qualify as a bio-medical scientist. We wanted to stay in thos country (I was very tempted just now not to correct a dropped 'o') but as a direct result of this shitshow, we're seriously thinking of moving abroad and taking that 28k education with us.

So basically, everything you thought you wanted was bullshit, and you're getting pretty much the opposite of it all. Congratulations!

I still hate that people make such a huge deal about it. Why can't people just get along with people from other countries. Why does all this hate exist.

I am sure a lot of US people are in this topic.
what would the percentage of support among 18
To 32 year old educated Americans be for allowing free movement of Labor, and open borders with South America, in return for bilateral access to their markets?

Tak3n

Banned
David Cameron

It is going to be a challenge for the EU and for the UK to come to a agreement on free movement whilst getting free trade

EU army.

You are not really helping yourself here. Most of the stuff you are complaining about have nothing to do with EU. So did you vote "leave", and are these the reasons why you voted the way you did? Not a good look.

jelly

I would also add that the UK does still train up doctors, nurses etc. and if you wonder why they may piss off to other places, go private look no further than what the UK government is trying to do to Junior doctors as an example. You can't screw over the people you trained and expect them to take it. This is not the fault of the EU.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
David Cameron

It is going to be a challenge for the EU and for the UK to come to a agreement on free movement whilst getting free trade

Why would the EU concede on this? They can just offer the UK a customs association akin to Turkey if we don't accept freedom of movement. It's just depressing how poorly thought out the Brexiters' plans have been.

Bobnob

You are not making any sense.
What does the EU have to do with the government not training students for the NHS? You do realise that if it weren't for freedom of movement, you'd not have these European doctors to replace those students you are saying are leaving?

What do you mean with the EU having become more and more entangled?

What is wrong with an EU army? I suppose you are also against NATO?
Its easier and cheaper to hire a none UK resident or a migrant into the nhs than it is to train our kids.
That ties in with the freedom of movment.If an EU army was the same as NATO what would the point be?

More n more entangled as in deeper ties. No one predicted 2008. What would happen if we stayed in, then say France decide to leave.EU is a failing project if they carry on with the one size fits all policies.

BahamutPT

David Cameron

no-shit-sherlock.jpg

Dougald

David Cameron

Ah there's that famous British understatement

Best case for people who hate immigration, if we do keep free trade there will be some token, meaningless restriction on free movement

daviyoung

Banned
David Cameron

well thankfully we do like a challenge here in Good Old Blighty!

*rolls up foreign labourer's sleeves and puts the kettle on*

TheFatOne

The more I hear about the situation the more I'm convinced the EU is playing nice right now, but the second the UK invokes article 50 the knives are coming out. They are going to be looking to fuck over the UK any way they can.

To 32 year old educated Americans be for allowing free movement of Labor, and open borders with South America, in return for bilateral access to their markets?
There's another way of looking at America and asking the same question...

What would the support be among 18-32yo for open borders, free movement, and bilateral market access between Texas and Maine?

That's comparing apples and oranges I think. You can't just take the current situation and say: will you support opening the borders for free movement. Of course that will create problems. That is why entering the EU has whole list of requirements and after a country enters, they go through years and years before being allowed free movement. And the other member states all have to agree on it.

JoeM86

Well you best get prepared for a Primeminster you didn't vote for.

Technically, no Prime Minister is voted for. It's a misnomer that we vote for a Prime Minister. That's not our system.

When you vote in a General Election, you vote on who you wish to be the Member of Parliament representing the constituency in which you live. The party with the most Members of Parliament (after the goalpost) is the party in charge and the party leader is the Prime Minister. The general public doesn't decide who leads each party, that's up to members of the party in question.

Hazzuh

There's another way of looking at America and asking the same question...

What would the support be among 18-32yo for open borders, free movement, and bilateral market access between Texas and Maine?

Of course European countries are far more economically and culturally varied than US states. This is why the Euro has been a disaster and the dollar hasn't.

Tak3n

Banned
Am I slowly watching you realise that immigration will not go down?

Actually quite the opposite, as if Cameron is now telling the EU it is because of immigration we are leaving the likelihood is the UK won't accept any deal with free movement....

Of course we could cave under pressure from the city, but it sounds like shots fired to me

And that one area was (surprise!) the only part of the east coast to see significant immigration.

The media created a scary bogeyman that people with no experience to know otherwise bought in to. And that's landed the UK in the worst position its been in since at least the IMF bailout. All round, pretty sad.

That's not strictly true. A fair amount of the 'East', to my knowledge, has relatively high immigrant pops - or at least, certain towns do. Couple that with economic depression, and bingo.

I can also see why an EU Army might perturb people, but it's extremely easy to say 'EU Army' or 'Turkey joining' as if it's 100% going to happen, or is even somehow just around the corner, when it's clear there are conflicting outlooks. Furthermore, it's all very well saying 'unelected bureaucrats', because it ignores the European Parliament, conflates 'directives' and single-market efficiencies et al, and then, usually, for good measure chucks in the ECJ and ties it up with 'so fuck it then'.

Hasney

Why would the EU concede on this? They can just offer the UK a customs association akin to Turkey if we don't accept freedom of movement. It's just depressing how poorly thought out the Brexiters' plans have been.

Because they need us more than we need them! Ask Nige!

jelly

David Cameron

A challenge, it won't happen, period.

All we have done is throw out the best EU deal ever out of any member state and will get a worse EU deal and be dictated by EU rules we have no say in which is staggeringly less control.

The UK government and leave side have screwed us and we had it all good before, well fucking done.

Chinner

Banned
I would also add that the UK does still train up doctors, nurses etc. and if you wonder why they may piss off to other places, go private look no further than what the UK government is trying to do to Junior doctors as an example. You can't screw over the people you trained and expect them to take it. This is not the fault of the EU.
Well, they've recently made training to be a nurse difficult as they're no longer offering grants for post grads. Another hurdle, my understanding that people come to this profession from all ages.

Actually quite the opposite, as if Cameron is now telling the EU it is because of immigration we are leaving the likelihood is the UK won't accept any deal with free movement....

Of course we could cave under pressure from the city, but it sounds like shots fired to me

well then we won't get a deal...

As much as we harp on about how great and special our NHS is we have an habit of continually voting in Tory governments who want to privatise it - go figure.

(Actually that also explains the brexit vote).

Tak3n

Banned
A challenge, it won't happen, period.

All we have done is throw out the best EU deal ever out of any member state and will get a worse EU deal and be dictated by EU rules we have no say in which is staggeringly less control.

The UK government and leave side have screwed us and we had it all good before, well fucking done.

People said that about the referendum, we won't vote to leave....stranger things have happened at sea

theaface

Serious question for people who voted leave:

Is there a brexit deal that can be made with the EU that you and all 17 million other people who voted similarly would find preferable to sticking with the status quo?

This has been asked a few times before. The only answer you'll get is a Boris/Hannan one; free trade but less free movement AKA have your cake and eat it AKA fantasy land.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

That means we aren't entering the EEA and goodbye and massive chunk of uk economy, enjoy your significantly worse standard of living. Cameron's posturing is meaningless anyay, major leave tory have backtracked on that how deal claim how important or close ties with Europe has to be etc, etc

liquidtmd

Banned
The more I hear about the situation the more I'm convinced the EU is playing nice right now, but the second the UK invokes article 50 the knives are coming out. They are going to be looking to fuck over the UK any way they can.

I thought this initially - however instead of getting the knives out, I think the EU now realise how woefully inadequate and ill prepared the UK are in relation to trade regulation and negotiation.

The EU know they merely have to show up and they are going to outmatch them heavily. No maliciousness required in terms of getting the upper hand

Oriel

Technically, no Prime Minister is voted for. It's a misnomer that we vote for a Prime Minister. That's not our system.

When you vote in a General Election, you vote on who your Member of Parliament is. The party with the most Members of Parliament (after the goalpost) is the party in charge and the party leader is the Prime Minister. The general public doesn't decide who leads each party, that's up to members of the party in question.

Isn't it funny how Brexiteers moan about the EU bring run by "faceless, unelected bureaucrats" and yet fail to recognise that the entirety of HM Government is unelected? The Commission and its President is actually elected by the EP, something the Europhobes conveniently forget. In the British system the Commons doesn't even vote on a PM, the monarch selects the head of government. So in actuality the EU is MORE democratic than the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom