• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add to this the whole comedy factor. We're so scared of muslims the only way to beat them is to Jihad the entire country

Funniest thing I've read in a while. I'll openly admit I nearly voted leave just for the comedy factor but my conscience wouldn't let me do it.

The only good thing to come out of the referendum is the comedy of the shock value as the world turns to shit and burns around me.

avaya

I didn't want to be 10 years down the road struggling in a EU what clearly still isn't working for the average person where laws are made by unelected bureaucrats.

OK. Let me make this very plain. We need the single market, the government already knows this despite the vote. This is not even a point up for discussion amongst any serious person.

Your vote for sovereignty will be a reductio ad-absurdum of sovereignty in the 2nd best case scenario outcome: Associate membership/EEA (the best case scenario is we retain EU membership).

You have, let me make this very clear, you have voted for the EU to do to us precisely the thing you describe in the last part of your sentence. Maybe you will wake up to this tomorrow, maybe in a week, maybe in a few months. You didn't take back control. You gave it all away. All of it.

The first part of your sentence is factually incorrect.

Sarek

Does it need to be exactly like it for parallels to be drawn?

Also, Godwin's law is one of probability. It isn't in fact meant to invalidate the comparison.

It's not even anything close to it, and is just insulting the actual nazi victims and their families.

Tak3n

Banned
Sky News

It was reported that David Cameron told the other delegates at dinner that the UK and the EU should be as close as possible, but that can only happen with reform on immigration

Micael

Hey, you could always opt out of the EU's single market, then you'll be truly freed of those accursed "unelected" bureaucrats. You'll also be freed of your job, most likely.

Only the person with nothing to lose is truly free, so what better way to get freedom than to lose "everything"

jufonuk

not tag worthy
My step daughter at school the other day .had some kid say to her when we leave they will deport you.

She backhanded him. His parents pro leave . If course the sliming twat didn't report her.

Makes my blood boil

The main selling point was immigration. The main reason for voting Leave was immigration. Don't let people fool you. That's what the data tells us. Data doesn't lie.

I'm sure there were people who voted Leave and aren't racists. They can vote whatever they want and they should. The question everyone's asking themselves right now is: Why?

Some are dissappointed by the EU and that's totally fine. The EU isn't perfect by any means and has made mistakes in the past. So they want to get away from the EU, fair enough. Problem is the EU is right next to them, one of the world's super powers. If they think the EU won't have power over them they are dead wrong. They gave up their relevance in the world and the UK will shatter into pieces (seeing how Scotland wants independence/students abroad will be granted the Italian citizenship just so this referendum won't ruin their lives/companies fleeing etc.).

What it boils down to is the people who voted Leave overestimated their own power, their own nation. They thought they could leave and the rest of the world would run to be first in line for trade negotiations. They also thought they could keep the benefits of the EU without being a member. Ain't happening. Nationalism and Patriotism got the best of them, and #yolo votes. They voted to become the laughing stock of the world and to go down in history as one of the dumbest decisions a modern, powerful nation has ever made.

And the rest of the Leave voters are just racists. Plain and simple. They can congratulate each other for that, other far-right parties and Donald Trump are delighted to join the festivities.

All right, thanks for the write-up!

G.O.O.

Just so you know, in France we're having a few papers about the possibility that UK never leaves EU and people on social network are getting angry at the EU for opposing the will of the people.

And my blood is boiling.

That's it, I needed to share.

Dougald

Which bank do you mind me asking. OK if you don't want to say.

Nationwide. Not awful terms but at this point in time would mean I end up with what I started with and they've had a load of free mortgage payments.

Honestly I am level headed enough to realise things are a bit crazy at the moment and nothing is set in stone. But if the UK takes a terrible deal and we end up rebuilding careers after redundancy then why would I do it here

I didn't want to be 10 years down the road struggling in a EU what clearly still isn't working for the average person where laws are made by unelected bureaucrats.
Seems to me your own damn government isn't working for the average person. How about you go knocking on their door and demand them to do better?

The EU Parliament is elected, just too bad nobody shows up to vote for it. The Commission has representation from every country in it, and is chosen by those countries and then approved by Parliament. So where it is unelected exactly? Or do you want to appoint all the single people working in government now? How is that electing of the House of Lords btw? Going well there? Oh, right.

Sky News

It was reported that David Cameron told the other delegates at dinner that the UK and the EU should be as close as possible, but that can only happen with reform on immigration
Honest question, what reform do the British people - or at least the Leave side of them - want here? Do they want to ban everyone from other countries from working there? Do they want only people who have a job lined up? Do they want people from certain countries? Because I haven't seen a plan here outside of "take control of our borders."

I'm an average person, it was working fine for me. But then, I don't blame others for my own shortcomings. What laws were made by which unelected bureuacrats didn't you like, exactly? What is it you don't like about them? Are those mean Europeans stopping you from being your best you?

avaya

Nationwide. Not awful terms but at this point in time would mean I end up with what I started with and they've had a load of free mortgage payments.

Honestly I am level headed enough to realise things are a bit crazy at the moment and nothing is set in stone. But if the UK takes a terrible deal and we end up rebuilding careers after redundancy then why would I do it here

OK that's solid, not too bad. As long as the LTV isn't too bad it should be OK when house prices start falling. I worry for those first time buyers on zero down mortgages or 90% LTV.

Dougald

OK that's solid, not too bad. As long as the LTV isn't too bad it should be OK when house prices start falling. I worry for those first time buyers on zero down mortgages or 90% LTV.

I saved every penny I earnt that didn't go to rent, food or utilities for 10 years since I was 18 and put down 25%, so at least I'm unlikely to end up underwater.

Mikeside

don't worry guys, a weak pound is better for exports

i'm sure we can increase our output of salt

could we export a few politicians & maybe the bulk of our media outlets?
I reckon people would be up for exporting a few footballers too.

will a weak pound help us turn that unwanted scrap into big bucks?

oti

Banned
Sky News

"Hey so you totally need the UK because reasons and that's why I want you to change things even if we're not in the EU anymore. Deal?"

Zaph

Sky News

At this point, while I do think there is a discussion to be had with the way the UK has handled immigration over the last few decades, I'm just so, so sad that it's dominated the conversation for a generation. Just imagine all the other things that could have been accomplished had we not been so obsessed by it. Even in parts of the UK with zero immigration it's still the biggest topic. It's tragic.

Dougald

At this point, while I do think there is a discussion to be had with the way the UK has handled immigration over the last few decades, I'm just so, so sad that it's dominated the conversation for a generation. Just imagine all the other things that could have been accomplished had we not been so obsessed by it. Even in parts of the UK with zero immigration it's still the biggest topic. It's tragic.

Your post just made me realise that I've been hearing people bang on about it for my entire adult life. So depressing.

Bobnob

I'm an average person, it was working fine for me. But then, I don't blame others for my own shortcomings. What laws were made by which unelected bureuacrats didn't you like, exactly? What is it you don't like about them? Are those mean Europeans stopping you from being your best you?
I didn't like free movement,one size fits all doesn't work imo.I didn't like the fact that our government refused to train up our students to help the nhs (unless they paid out of there arse)Then when they are trained they go to US because they earn more.I hated the fact that the EU was becoming more and more entangled.
EU army.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Cameron talk truthfully to Merkel and co. .
You know you never expected to leave. You are out of touch with your people. You can't in good faith leave the EU fully as it will wreck too many Lives. Fall on your sword . Fuck more pigs.
If this carries on the UK burns . We need the EU's help

I an hoping Merkel fucks farage , cameron and Boris over HAM.

But she is wise and forward thinking enough along with hollande to salvage this . To deter other members leaving as well as gaining the high ground.

Kick us out and watchint us fight and burn and tear each other apart is not what they want as it wont make the EU cone across as forward thinking, more and parties like UK will rise up and this chaos will keep happening.

If they can bring us out of this mess. They will he the heroes the UK will he held up as the lesson to not let hate spread . To be more intergrated and stronger together.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

map2smallimage_tcm77-290410.png

brexit-referendum-results-map-2-tone-blue-gold.png

The extent to which people are worried about immigration is inversely correlated with the actual amount of immigration they see. People who actually experience it aren't fussed.

I didn't like free movement,one size fits all doesn't work imo.I didn't like the fact that our government refused to train up our students to help the nhs (unless they paid out of there arse)Then when they are trained they go to US because they earn more.I hated the fact that the EU was becoming more and more entangled.
EU army.
You've been voting for the wrong governments (or everyone else has - same result). Tis a Westminster problem not a Brussels one.

daviyoung

Banned
I didn't like the fact that our government refused to train up our students to help the nhs (unless they paid out of there arse)Then when they are trained they go to US because they earn more.

so you realised our government was incompetent and you decided to give them even more power

Corto

Seems to me your own damn government isn't working for the average person. How about you go knocking on their door and demand them to do better?

The EU Parliament is elected, just too bad nobody shows up to vote for it. The Commission has representation from every country in it, and is chosen by those countries and then approved by Parliament. So where it is unelected exactly? Or do you want to appoint all the single people working in government now? How is that electing of the House of Lords btw? Going well there? Oh, right.

Honest question, what reform do the British people - or at least the Leave side of them - want here? Do they want to ban everyone from other countries from working there? Do they want only people who have a job lined up? Do they want people from certain countries? Because I haven't seen a plan here outside of "take control of our borders."

And in the European Union Council each country vote counts, and all the sensitive decisions must be reached by unanimity.

Unanimity

The Council has to vote unanimously on a number of matters which the member states consider to be sensitive. For example:

common foreign and security policy (with the exception of certain clearly defined cases which require qualified majority, e.g. appointment of a special representative)
citizenship (the granting of new rights to EU citizens)
EU membership
harmonisation of national legislation on indirect taxation
EU finances (own resources, the multiannual financial framework)
certain provisions in the field of justice and home affairs (the European prosecutor, family law, operational police cooperation, etc.)
harmonisation of national legislation in the field of social security and social protection.
In addition, the Council is required to vote unanimously to diverge from the Commission proposal when the Commission is unable to agree to the amendments made to its proposal. This rule does not apply to acts that need to be adopted by the Council on a Commission recommendation, for example, acts in the area of economic coordination.

Under unanimous voting, abstention does not prevent a decision from being taken.

So in the United Kingdom if a rule such as this was used a decision of leaving the EU should be unanimous by all its members. I know I'm mixing a popular referendum result and an elected representative vote, but the spirit of the rule is most important.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The extent to which people are worried about immigration is inversely correlated with the actual amount of immigration they see. People who actually experience it aren't fussed.
This is actually a thing in other countries like Germany for example. I wonder if this phenomenon has a name or research done about it.

Mikeside

To be fair, that absolutely makes sense.
If you're only hearing all the media bullshit about immigration, but you don't really encounter any, it's easy to believe the lies.

People with actual exposure to the "issue" can see the media are high on bathsalts and spite

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
EU army.
You are not making any sense.
What does the EU have to do with the government not training students for the NHS? You do realise that if it weren't for freedom of movement, you'd not have these European doctors to replace those students you are saying are leaving?

What do you mean with the EU having become more and more entangled?

What is wrong with an EU army? I suppose you are also against NATO?

avaya

This is actually a thing in other countries like Germany for example. I wonder if this phenomenon has a name or research done about it.

Nationalism.

When you are removed from it, it is easier to dehumanise immigrants. The ugliest parts of nationalism take over.

Having lived in London, and now on the East Coast - I can pretty much confirm that from personal experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom