• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The underdog complex - rooting for the underdog [go underdog, go!]

Do you always root for the underdog?

• yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • no

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • sometimes

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
So, the underdog. It doesn't matter whether it's sports, games, hardware, people, most of us will always root for the underdog.
But why? I've often pondered that question myself, but never could find the exact answer.
Let's say AMD for example. I've always rooted for them and always wanted them to be better then intel. There was a time when their cpu's were shit and it really made no sense buying one. I'm talking about you, bulldozer/pilediver.
Intel cpus were 10 times better at the time. And I went with one, the all mighty 2500k. And it was a glorious cpu. But still a part of me still wanted for AMD to make a better cpu and crush Intel. I guess cuz they're a smaller company and well, the underdog in the cpu market. So you might say I felt bad about purchasing an Intel cpu.
But it's not just cpu's. It's people too. And I've noticed I'm not the only one. A lot of people always root for the smaller team, the underdog. But why do we do this? If the weaker team/underdog wins, does this make us feel good?
The only logical explanation I've come up with is this. In the underdog, we see ourselves. We project an image of a hardworking man, common folk, man/company of the people, one from the stands to that underdog. That is why most of us want the underdog to win. To show the evil big man/company that he/she/it is not stronger then common folk.

So, do you root for the underdog?
And why do you think you do it?

I think there's an inherent belief in fairness with humanity that makes it hard for us to witness or take part in a crushing defeat. What that fairness really looks like is subjective (opportunity or outcome being the two main ideals), but it's just human nature.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
If Xbox started winning the console wars I'd support Sony more and buy PS consoles. Never good to let anyone have too much power gotta foster competition and in the end the consumers win.

If Xbox started winning the console wars I'd support Sony more and buy PS consoles. Never good to let anyone have too much power gotta foster competition and in the end the consumers win.
I agree. But it's different with the example you've given.
Honestly, you can't even compare the two companies. They're both doing well but Microsoft is on a whole different level financially speaking. They can never be the underdog.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
I wonder if the underdog complex is culturally conditioned. It is said that America loves an underdog. Would Rome or Babylon have felt the same?

I wonder if the underdog complex is culturally conditioned. It is said that America loves an underdog. Would Rome or Babylon have felt the same?
It's the same in Europe. I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but I'm guessing it's the same. It's in our nature.
But interesting thinking about Rome and Babylon.
There's this dude in the history of my country, he was a ban. He had a nickname Ban commoner because he didn't have royal blood and was from a common background.
Common people liked him.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I agree. But it's different with the example you've given.
Honestly, you can't even compare the two companies. They're both doing well but Microsoft is on a whole different level financially speaking. They can never be the underdog.

Lol apple killed zune Google is destroying Bing Amazon is winning in cloud services. Does Microsoft still even have a mobile OS or is it just Android and iOS now?? Lol Microsoft is a big dog financially but is def an underdog in many tech industries

FutureMD

For AMD vs Intel, it's because a. more competition is better and b. intel had shady practices and people don't want those with underhanded tactics to keep winning.

In general, seeing an underdog win shows that with enough effort, people can rise to the top, which reaffirms our idea that things are fair and achievable.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think there’s something inherently more satisfying, more narrative-like, in seeing someone journey up from the bottom, and ending that journey in resounding triumph.

As obnoxious as people tend to be, I’d also like to think that there’s a good-natured part in all of us that wants the best for others, and cheers when they see a success story like this. If not that, then at least vicariously living through those underdogs.

On the contrary, a Goliath smashing David, or another Goliath, isn’t anywhere near as fun. Narratively, it doesn’t offer much, and likewise in terms of empathy or an insertion fantasy. No matter how likable the Goliath is, not a whole lot changes for them.

Huuuuuge tangent here, but I think this effect is going to help Trump in the upcoming elections. Most incumbent presidents have already had their big, emotional victory, and tend to lose support in office as they become the new establishment, whereas Trump’s opponents and their constant mistreatment of him have made him a permanent underdog and scrappy fighter.

Top Bottom