• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge - Best handheld gaming system

Vena

I mean, techwise the point isn't really arguable from the dedicated point of view. The Vita is a better machine but it has no support from the mothership and was left to flounder as its hardware also made its development seemingly restrictive and costly at the time of release.

But I love the dual-screen features and the great use that has come from such an availability on the DS/3DS. And, obviously, the games library is lopsided.

zewone

Vita over 3DS for sure.

I haven't turn on my 3DS since Pokemon X, which is the reason I bought it.

I did just get Persona Q though, but my expectations are low compared to Persona 4 Golden.

spekkeh

Banned
We all know that if Apple said glassless 3D was the future, they would have said that 3DS was best
after iPhone 7

In terms of functionality and hardware: Vita

Software: 3DS, easily.

I use my Vita more because I use it to watch Netflix, Hulu Plus and Crunchyroll on it. Honestly, I rarely use it to play video games. I am using this device wrong haha.

Foshy

Vita > 3DS for me too. But some people see it differently. That's fine. Different strokes for different folks and whatnot.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif

Etnos

Banned
I love my Vita, Hardware is great and the great selection of indies make it worth it more for me than a 3ds IMO.

Nipo

I love my vita. The suspend resume makes it my preferred platform to play any indie game that is available since it is so damn easy to play on my commute. Also a nice selection of turn based jrpgs.

Vyer

I'd rather watch media and use apps on an iPad.

and I'd rather play the games on the 3DS.

So I can't really agree here. Nice hardware, though.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I've had them both for over a year in the past. Sold the Vita because I didn't like the games, sold the 3DS because I didn't like the screen.

Bgamer90

Banned
I'd rather watch media and use apps on an iPad.

and I'd rather play the games on the 3DS.

So I can't really agree here. Nice hardware, though.

Pretty much how I feel but replace "iPad" with "iPhone" (when it comes to when I'm on the go).

Eh. 3DS plays all the games available on the best handheld of all time (DS), has a great library of its own original games, and a lot of classic past handheld games (GB, GBC, etc.)

Vita has potential, but it's not exactly delivering on its promises.

Yeah, I really like the hardware....and the system in general....

But I have to admit that there have only been 2 games I absolutely loved on it ( both Danganronpas) .

Opinions.

elhav

Nope Verge. I'll rather take a library of fantastic exclusive titles over what we all know.
Coming from you, it probably means a lot...

No, seriously, if it isn't madly defending Nintendo over every damn negative nuance or artice, now you have to bash poor Vita when it finally wins at something?

Vita has a lot of great games. Maybe not to your liking, it's understandable, but it definitely has its fair share of great games, exclusives included. Try not to be so bitter about it, will you?

eXistor

As a games device, you cannot beat the 3DS, but I agree, the Vita is a cool piece of hardware that I've used for a lot of things, but gaming is unfortunately not really one of them (Danganronpa 1, 2 and a few others make up for it...almost).

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I love my 3DS and all (fire emblem, best game of the last 3 years), but it's hard for me to say that it has better games than the Vita, tbh.

Gestault

I can't agree, in terms of a platform. I really enjoy my Vita, but it's also less useful because of being less physically portable, as well as its battery life. The stillborn support for exclusive (or games at least developed to take advantage of its input and visual capabilities) in almost every genre should matter. Fewer games and a dead outlook is a foolish thing to stand behind at this point in a platform's life.

I really love my Vita and I'm thankful for a good amount of positive opinions from GAF, which help made me purchased this great device. The Danganronpa games might be my GOTY so far, which is quite surprising. The indie games feel made(Hotline Miami on Vita is Amazing!!) for the Vita when compared to my consoles. I wish the remote play was better in terms of not locking framerate to 30fps when the game is 60fps, but I'm still very satisfied with remote play.

AngryMoth

It's the 3DS for me thanks to a steady flow of excellent exculsive games. When I hear people talk about playing something on their vita most of the time it's stuff I could get on pc or ps3 (a few exception obviously, I'd like to try tearaway at some point).

Eh. 3DS plays all the games available on the best handheld of all time (DS), has a great library of its own original games, and a lot of classic past handheld games (GB, GBC, etc.)

Vita has potential, but it's not exactly delivering on its promises.

The Vita plays PS1 and PSP games. The 3DS is compatible with old carts but honestly I'm tired of carrying around little chips and cards so it's not a huge win in its favor. Buying something from PSN for my Vita is also a vastly superior experience than on the 3DS. Generally speaking, my 3DS collects dust. My mobile gaming focuses on JRPGs and so far the Vita is untouchable in that aspect.

chuckycem

They must be kidding. What is a system without great games?
I like my vita and use it all the time for remote play but 3ds kicks butt when it comes to games.

Protome

I can't agree, in terms of a platform. I really enjoy my Vita, but it's also less useful because of being less physically portable, as well as its battery life. The stillborn support for exclusive (or games at least developed to take advantage of its input and visual capabilities) in almost every genre should matter.

Not sure I'd agree with this. If you just mean raw horsepower, sure. But 2D stuff looks better on Vita than almost anywhere else because of that AMOLED screen (except on the new one, not sure why anyone would buy that one...)

Considering my handhelds (other than my phone) almost never leave my house, to me, as of recently, my favorite handheld system has become the Wii U.

oti

Banned
Vita is my Steam PC Indie handheld + a few exclusives. It's absolutely nowhere near the 3DS but it's a nice machine. I'm thinking about changing to a PS TV though, so yeah. Without the indie ports it would be pretty bad.

Top Bottom