• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge Rumour: MS to bring IE to Xbox 360 with Kinect controls

can hardly wait to have my weekly security update to plug some new hole found in IE that bricks consoles ;D

Anyways, good news that the box is finally getting a browser.

jaypah

I used to want this and the features that MS are providing soooo bad. But eventually I cracked and bought a PC to hook to my tv. Now I browse GAF from the couch on a 73 inch screen. Sorry MS, you took too long. Though the joke's on me I guess as I still pay for Live.

As an aside, my Logitech mini USB receiver works with my wireless keyboard for typing in the 360 YouTube app so I assume it would work with this too.

More features the better/ better late than never/ better than no browser.
Thread title makes it sound official which it is not at this point. Kind of crazy they are introducing it this late in the consoles lifespan.

More features the better/ better late than never/ better than no browser.
Thread title makes it sound official which it is not at this point. Kind of crazy they are introducing it this late in the consoles lifespan.
Yeah, sorry, I copied it from the Verge. Will pm a mod.

WHY?

Seriously the best set-up in the world is what I have now. iPad in lap to look up things while playing my game. (substitute any other tablet and/or mobile phone as needed)

raphier

Banned
A week after release: Microsoft to announce Antivirus software for Xbox 360.
Report: People complain that their hardware is 'kinecting' self-aware to adult websites.

Atomski

Edit- If this is free, won't that make paying to use twitter, facebook, hbogo etc, pointless?

Yep and if it does support silverlight then Netflix should also work in the browser.

Anyways can't wait for everyone to experience why browsing the web on consoles is awful..

MCD

BTW this will look more like Windows 8 Metro IE than regular IE.

uTbUb.png

Picture related.

Glix

Gold members only?

Hahaha, they will probably do Kinect only. They have proven that tech that will work with any XBOX (voice commands) they will hold back to try and make kinect more attractive.

I can see them doing the same thing with the browser.

I actually like this. It should actually work unlike that horrible POS Sony calls a browser.

I'm meaning to cut the cable cord and this will make it even easier to get youtube and such video content on my TV screen.

Edit: I strongly hope it's not somehow Kinetic only, though. I just want it sans Kinect.

Emily Chu

Banned
GLUGR - browsing on a console..................................... no just no

tablet, and laptops yes

I mean the PS3 browser was merely okay still horrible horrible compared to a real computer and a real full browser

Hahaha, they will probably do Kinect only. They have proven that tech that will work with any XBOX (voice commands) they will hold back to try and make kinect more attractive.

I can see them doing the same thing with the browser.
Well the post does say

Kinect support is not mandatory according to our sources, but the browser is said to be tuned for Kinect usage.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Amazing that the company responsible for internet explorer was the last to get web browsing on their console, some seven years later.

If it's as terrible as the Wii's and PS3's browsers, then I'll pass. The reason I would have wanted it is moot now anyway since I have a youtube app on the 360.

elcranky

Banned
Pachter really seems to be right out the services thing at E3. I can already see the MS press conference before me and it's not pretty...

Silverlight only!

Sigh, It seems like once again folks don't get it. For clarity's sake, a fully KINECT enabled (primarily voice) IE announcement would be sufficient in and of itself for MS to completely dominate Sony and Nintendo at E3.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I am using my PC on my TV to post this, so for me this is an unnecessary update.

That said, I think it is an awesome idea, and I really like how the Xbox is becoming an all in one machine.

Next gen if the 720 has a bluray player and higher fidelity Kinect there really wont be much reason for people to use other devices.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sigh, It seems like once again folks don't get it. For clarity's sake, a fully KINECT enabled (primarily voice) IE announcement would be sufficient in and of itself for MS to completely dominate Sony and Nintendo at E3.

Can't tell if troll

Or just a viral marketer.

venne

Would be great if they could squeeze a mobile browser into a guide tab to use during game sessions.

Highly unlikely, but would be awesome.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I had a feeing you were a Microsoft stooge, but this really confirms it.

Emitan

But the Wii and PS3 have had browsers since like 2006. Who gives a shit?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Exactly so now Live will be even more worth it with Internet explorer cause you can twitter 2 different ways now on your 360. Oh and it still plays games I think. lol

"We are disabling the game-playing features of the Xbox 360 to focus its resources on the exciting new services we're offering."

Top Bottom