• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge Rumour: MS to bring IE to Xbox 360 with Kinect controls

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
They thought "why invest in making 10 mini game collections for Kinect, when we can use the Internet Explorer's built-in pop-up mini-game. Every site is a unique experience."

UberTag

browsing the web with Kinect sounds... tiring
With motion commands and waving? Hell yeah.
With voice commands? Now that sounds like something streamlined and fun.

I'd love to walk into my living room, turn on the TV, say "Xbox... Browse GAF" and I'm all set to go.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
*checks calendar*

...well, I guess this is nice if an Xbox is still the only internet enabled device you have connected to your TV.

elcranky

Banned
I had a feeing you were a Microsoft stooge, but this really confirms it.

No just someone who can take a rational, strategy-oriented view. While never suprising, the inability of folks to have the slightest understanding of strategy continually boggles the mind.

Seriously, this would be the biggest E3 annoucement since ESPN3. This has enourmous implications for this gen and especially next-gen. It is also a sign that MS is going for jugular against Apple and Google.

With motion commands and waving? Hell yeah.
With voice commands? Now that sounds like something streamlined and fun.

I'd love to walk into my living room, turn on the TV, say "Xbox... Browse GAF" and I'm all set to go.

This is my hope, if it fully supports voice commands, MS have just sold me a Kinect.

MS are dominating with this, great to see voice commands finally make their way back into the mainstream after being relegated to the sidelines for so long.

Takuya

Banned
No just someone who can take a rational, strategy-oriented view. While never suprising, the inability of folks to have the slightest understanding of strategy continually boggles the mind.

Seriously, this would be the biggest E3 annoucement since ESPN3. This has enourmous implications for this gen and especially next-gen. It is also a sign that MS is going for jugular against Apple and Google.

What implications? Browsing on your console?

Sigh, It seems like once again folks don't get it. For clarity's sake, a fully KINECT enabled (primarily voice) IE announcement would be sufficient in and of itself for MS to completely dominate Sony and Nintendo at E3.

Viral marketer for sure. Any sane person knows IE is too late in the game for the xbox 360 since smartphones and tablets have taken over as primary browsing companions. Do you get paid in money or sandwiches? They better be putting fois gras and wagyu with truffle oil in those sandwiches because that is some grade a premium BS you have been serving up right here. You know what, its ok, you have five kids to feed and quatto's telling me to start the reactor and free mars so I guess there are bigger issues at hand.

After reading through some of your posts elsewhere, you sure use the same "just taking a rational view" line a lot.

Along with a lot of other talking points lines.

Cat Party

This has at least a decent chance of succeeding where others have failed given the Kinect integration. But I have to see it to know if I care.

elcranky

Banned
Viral marketer for sure. Any sane person knows IE is too late in the game for the xbox 360 since smartphones and tablets have taken over as primary browsing companions. Do you get paid in money or sandwiches? They better be putting fois gras and wagyu with truffle oil in those sandwiches because that is some grade a premium BS you have been serving up right here. You know what, its ok, you have five kids to feed and quatto's telling me to start the reactor and free mars so I guess there are bigger issues at hand.

Such a limit view and lack of understanding.

Persona7

Banned
Hopefully this won't suck as much ass as the PS3 and Wii browsers.

Last time I checked GAF did not even load on the PS3 browser, I just got a wall of jumbled text.

Dunlop

Finally a reason to buy that stupid little controller keypad.

Finally a reason for me to figure out where the hell my controller keypad is, having not used it in years (ok ever). I am not hopeful

As an owner of a PS3/Boxee/LG St600 I have come to the conclusion that I do not want internet on my TV until the day I setup a dedicated HTPC.

The use is to emphasize a point, which is the predominate lack of rationality.

Well then just to show that you're a rational individual, why don't you give us two things that the Microsoft gaming division is really bad at?

I'm a Nintendo fan so I'll go first:

Online capabilities.
Relies too heavily on established IPs.

I kind of doubt most people will agree with you on the importance of this one. I actually had to Google it to find out what you were talking about.

Hoo-doo

Banned
"WWW DOT NEOGAF DOT COM"
"ENTER"
"CLICK GAMING DISCUSSION"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"CLICK *name of thread*"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"NEXT PAGE"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"

Browsing the web through voice commands sounds good on paper, but it will be stupidly impractical.
I think i'll keep my iPad for couch browsing.

elcranky

Banned
Well then just to show that you're a rational individual, why don't you give us two things that the Microsoft gaming division is really bad at?

I'm a Nintendo fan so I'll go first:

Online capabilities.
Relies too heavily on established IPs.

Sure I will play.

First - input lag on wireless controller renders FPS and SHMUPS nearly unplayable. FPS I don't care about, but given the quantity of quality SHMUPS on 360 that bites.

Given available information, MS has the timing of new console way off. 2012 would have been best, from a marketing standpoint, followed by 2014, for technology innovaton. 2013 seems to be the worst year. Of course, recent rumors point to perhaps MS biting the bullet and pushing the technology envelope, which if true renders this moot.

I am still pissed MS isn't fudning Too Human 2, although given the sales it is understandable.

Live has been too closed, but the proposed IE fixes that.

MS should have forced Netflix to not degrade the app so much in the switch to metro.

I wish Indy games had a better store.

Lack of support for FASA IPs.

Disconnect between vison and leadership prior of Mattock coming on board.

Killing of cool and creative ideas - Number 1 issue with MS, where the hell is my Courier.

Sure I will play.

First - input lag on wireless controller renders FPS and SHMUPS nearly unplayable. FPS I don't care about, but given the quantity of quality SHMUPS on 360 that bites.

Given available information, MS has the timing of new console way off. 2012 would have been best, from a marketing standpoint, followed by 2014, for technology innovaton. 2013 seems to be the worst year. Of course, recent rumors point to perhaps MS biting the bullet and pushing the technology envelope, which if true renders this moot.

I am still pissed MS isn't fudning Too Human 2, although given the sales it is understandable.

MS should have forced Netflix to not degrade the app so much in the switch to metro.

Killing of cool and creative ideas - Number 1 issue with MS, where the hell is my Courier.

Stop playing. Seriously, it won't end well.

Takuya

Banned
"WWW DOT NEOGAF DOT COM"
"ENTER"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"CLICK *name of thread*"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"NEXT PAGE"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"

Browsing the web through voice commands sounds good on paper, but it will be stupidly impractical.

"GO TO MAIL.COM"
[Going to male.com]
"I SAID MAIL.COM!!"
"M A I L DOT COM"

Is this really becoming a console browser pissing contest?

It's like picking which smells better between two piles of equally smelly shit. The experience, regardless of choice, is awful.

Voice browsing? REALLY? The kinect blankly stares at me when I tell it to open Netflix. Why do I want to have a one-sided screaming match with my console.

This isn't a killer app. This is a feature that should've been there day one. Hell, the Wii had a browser close to launch.

statham

"WWW DOT NEOGAF DOT COM"
"ENTER"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"CLICK *name of thread*"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"NEXT PAGE"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"

more like RB and LB would be used to scroll up and down, but continue.

Walshicus

Bleh, gimme Chrome instead.

In what universe is this remotely an option?

EDIT: Is their anything in HTML5 that can aid cross-format voice navigation? Like attaching keywords to specific actions in the page ("Show me special offers" opening an offer page, for example)?

deadlast

Sure I will play.

BRTky.jpg

Browsing on a console is awful. The Kinect barely understands my hand swipes when using Netflix.

Why do this?

It's like picking which smells better between two piles of equally smelly shit. The experience, regardless of choice, is awful.

Voice browsing? REALLY? The kinect blankly stares at me when I tell it to open Netflix. Why do I want to have a one-sided screaming match with my console.

This isn't a killer app. This is a feature that should've been there day one. Hell, the Wii had a browser close to launch.

Sounds like you have a broken Kinect or there is some serious user error going on.

"WWW DOT NEOGAF DOT COM"
"ENTER"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"CLICK *name of thread*"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"NEXT PAGE"
"SCROLL DOWN"
"SCROLL DOWN"

Well, it just depends on how intelligent and dynamic it is. For instance, I could waste time typing out a post disagreeing with the assessment, but what if I just simply spoke "deride elcranky" at my screen and it did it for me?

That would indeed be the biggest gamechanger since ESPN3 changed the way we thought about console gaming.

Hoo-doo

Banned
more like RB and LB would be used to scroll up and down, but continue.

I thought that with Kinect, you were the controller?

Let's face it, this will be a cool bullet point on their E3 conference, but in the end nobody will ever fucking use it because voice recognition is still clunky as shit.

SPDIF

There are many legitimate criticisms people can have with Kinect, but its voice recognition isn't one of them. Sounds like you should recalibrate.

Top Bottom