• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: "The Nintendo Switch virtual console can’t come soon enough"

Four months into the Nintendo Switch's lifespan, and we still don't know what's up with the system's ”virtual console" retro game store. Nintendo has said that classic games like Dr. Mario and Super Mario Bros. 3 will be part of its upcoming online subscription service, set to launch next year, complete with new online-enabled features. But as for a dedicated shop to buy retro titles — a highlight of Nintendo hardware since the original Wii — there's been no word. And it's a shame, because the Switch might just be the ideal platform for playing old-school games.

Personally, I agree. Not because of lack of games, but because Switch is the first Nintendo home console I've owned since GameCube and GameBoy Advance SP. Nearly every Nintendo system since then (sans GBA Micro and (I think) the DS line) had Virtual Console. I actually was tempted to buy a Wii, not for the motion stuff, but instead the VC. It would be typical for me, that I finally get another Nintendo console, and this is where they stop offering the Virtual Console. Sure, that new service is cool and all, but it doesn't seem like you can buy those games and it's unclear how often they will add new games to it. I will be overjoyed if Nintendo announces that they are bringing the VC to Switch,

Mediking

They really should HD remaster some GameCube games.

Everyone will be happy.

They'll make alotta money.

We get to play fun games.

OR...

Just put them on VC.

You would think with the performance of the Wii U that Nintendo would be going all out to win back support, so it's weird that they seem so lackadaisical about bringing these features. It's as though they wouldn't have been too bothered one way or the other if the Switch didn't perform as well as it has. I would have expected Nintendo to kinda throw everything at this system, especially since it consolidates their portable/home platforms. Once the 3DS dies out they won't have a secondary system to fall back on.

Honestly amazed they didn't say anything about VC at E3. GameCube VC would have been a huge megaton. Really feels like they're saving a lot for their own Directs.

Everyone will be happy.

OR...

Just put them on VC.

Option 2, would be cheaper and quicker. Personally, I'd love a mix of Option 1 and 2. If they could somehow implement what Sony did with the PS2 Classics on PS4, where the image quality is improved, I'd be happy. GameCube games are pretty as they are (at least, that's what my memory tells me!). If they could just smooth out the edges, those games could look real pretty on Switch.

Honestly amazed they didn't say anything about VC at E3. GameCube VC would have been a huge megaton. Really feels like they're saving a lot for their own Directs.

Now owning a Switch, I am really excited for the next Direct (well, that depends on the subject of that particular Direct). I will definitely be paying closer attention, now that I am invested in the device and its future.

Option 2, would be cheaper and quicker. Personally, I'd love a mix of Option 1 and 2. If they could somehow implement what Sony did with the PS2 Classics on PS4, where the image quality is improved, I'd be happy. GameCube games are pretty as they are (at least, that's what my memory tells me!). If they could just smooth out the edges, those games could look real pretty on Switch.
Nah. I understand virtual console would be a ton easier, and probably cheaper on the consumer end, but a lot of these GC (and Wii) games deserve a full touch up. F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Super Mario Sunshine, and so on. Improved resolutions, framerates, and redone UI elements at the least, and maybe larger fixes/changed as well. I don't want to have to deal with emulator weirdness to play these classics the way they deserve to be played .

Now owning a Switch, I am really excited for the next Direct (well, that depends on the subject of that particular Direct). I will definitely be paying closer attention, now that I am invested in the device and its future.

Oh I definitely think we're getting a fall/winter Direct or something that's just a blowout on their Switch plans for the new year, not just games but UI, features, app updates and other such support. At least that's what I hope for. It really seems like they want to save stuff like that so that all eyes are on them and their system, and hardcore fans can spread the word. Which makes sense, it's working for Sony with PSX.

I thought about Odyssey getting its own Direct, but I don't know if it needs one. Like BOTW, the game speaks for itself.

image.php

I have been bitching about this in every thread about Switch since it launched. Loving the console, but it is beyond fucking insane we don't have NES, SNES, and GameBoy games yet. Fucking Nintendo.

120v

pretty sure theyre completely revamping VC, how it works with your account and such

isn't to say that it still won't suck though

Betty

Banned
It'll come...

...right after the Gamecube classic... maybe even the Wii Classic

2020 sounds about right

If they're as lackluster and expensive as the Wii U versions they might as well not bother. They either have bad filters, input lag, inaccurate emulation, a lack of basic options, or all 4.

Also, GCN VC would suck. There's no good alternative to the GCN triggers and their functions. It's analog and it has a digital click. Any GCN game that uses it would lose nuance and degrees of movement.

I'm surprised I made it in before "the NES and SNES minis are the virtual console"

Be patient OP. We'll get the VC. It's just a matter of how much Nintendo wants to charge lol. I also think they wanted their first year lineup to shine, and so far I'd say it has. There's something for everyone on the Switch by Christmas.

Griss

Two points:

Firstly, what drives me crazy about the absence of the VC at this stage is that the beginning of a console's lifespan is exactly when it needs these classic games. My brother-in-law bought a Switch despite being a lapsed Nintendo fan (I'm seeing a lot of this, which is good) and he's gagging for more to play than Zelda and Mario Kart. He hasn't played the classics in forever and if they were there I know he'd be well up for them while we wait for Mario (or in his case, Fifa and NBA 2k lol).

When you have a new piece of hardware is the time when replaying old games has a higher level of appeal, especially when that hardware is portable. I know that personally, almost all of my VC purchases on the Wii, 3ds and Wii U were at or near the start of the hardware's life when there were droughts between games I was interested in. That problem diminishes rapidly as a console matures.

Secondly, having purchased some Wii games on the Wii U recently, I have to say that they are now so ugly on a 4k screen that it really, really hampers your enjoyment. Despite that, the gameplay is still absolutely up to modern standards most of the time. Nintendo's game design hasn't moved on a huge amount in many cases - which isn't damning them, it's just acknowledging how far ahead they were back then, how they had already mastered their craft. For example, if they revealed Mario Galaxy for the first time for the Switch we'd all be raving about how inventive it is just here in the year 2017 just like we did back in 2007. The game design hasn't aged a day.

There are multiple Wii games like this, and a couple of Gamecube ones too. A simple emulator or port that upres'd these games to 720p on the Switch would be such easy sales it's unreal. Obviously in the case of the Wii games there are issues with control schemes due to the Wiimote. But a couple of basic emulated versions of games without said issues with HD compatibility would have been dynamite. Despite the fact that this would almost certainly have been more work than your typical NES / SNES emulator, it still feels like a lost opportunity.

And of course what really sticks in the craw is that Wii launched with VC but it seems that due to the new 'classic' consoles we might not see VC on Switch for a year. Seems cynical. The Switch could really use some more games.

I was shocked. I was holding off a purchase until we learned more. Now that it seems like the wait for details will be considerable and shortages could get worse, I crumbled and bought one anyway. I'm a sucker for Nintendo.

I would kill for a just a few good N64 games on my Switch.

Specifically I've been wanting to play Paper Mario and Donkey Kong 64 for ages, but I don't want to buy them in the Wii U now when the Switch is out.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nintendo's first goal should be getting original and current content for their platform...then worry about the 30-year old re-releases.

Griss

If they're as lackluster and expensive as the Wii U versions they might as well not bother. They either have bad filters, input lag, inaccurate emulation, a lack of basic options, or all 4.

Also, GCN VC would suck. There's no good alternative to the GCN triggers and their functions. It's analog and it has a digital click. Any GCN game that uses it would lose nuance and degrees of movement.

Totally agree, the standard of emulation on the Wii U was garbage, especially for NES and N64 titles. When you see it done right (like SNES on the 3ds) it's a world of difference.

Also, I totally forgot about the lack of analogue triggers. Fuck, that's a problem. I wish the pro controller had them, but I suppose you couldn't release gamecube VC just for people with pros. Damn, both Wii and GC VC have issues then.

Nintendo's first goal should be getting original and current content for their platform...then worry about the 30-year old re-releases.

Sure, but the kind of tech teams who work on emulators etc aren't in any way related to the actual game development content producers that make new games. Like, NERD did some of their emulators and NERD were never a game dev team. It's not an either/or.

Toki767

They're putting out one game a month.

They could certainly afford to release a couple VC games a month in addition to that.

Two points:

Firstly, what drives me crazy about the absence of the VC at this stage is that the beginning of a console's lifespan is exactly when it needs these classic games. My brother-in-law bought a Switch despite being a lapsed Nintendo fan (I'm seeing a lot of this, which is good) and he's gagging for more to play than Zelda and Mario Kart. He hasn't played the classics in forever and if they were there I know he'd be well up for them while we wait for Mario (or in his case, Fifa and NBA 2k lol).

When you have a new piece of hardware is the time when replaying old games has a higher level of appeal, especially when that hardware is portable. I know that personally, almost all of my VC purchases on the Wii, 3ds and Wii U were at or near the start of the hardware's life when there were droughts between games I was interested in. That problem diminishes rapidly as a console matures.

Secondly, having purchased some Wii games on the Wii U recently, I have to say that they are now so ugly on a 4k screen that it really, really hampers your enjoyment. Despite that, the gameplay is still absolutely up to modern standards most of the time. Nintendo's game design hasn't moved on a huge amount in many cases - which isn't damning them, it's just acknowledging how far ahead they were back then, how they had already mastered their craft. For example, if they revealed Mario Galaxy for the first time for the Switch we'd all be raving about how inventive it is just here in the year 2017 just like we did back in 2007. The game design hasn't aged a day.

There are multiple Wii games like this, and a couple of Gamecube ones too. A simple emulator or port that upres'd these games to 720p on the Switch would be such easy sales it's unreal. Obviously in the case of the Wii games there are issues with control schemes due to the Wiimote. But a couple of basic emulated versions of games without said issues with HD compatibility would have been dynamite. Despite the fact that this would almost certainly have been more work than your typical NES / SNES emulator, it still feels like a lost opportunity.

And of course what really sticks in the craw is that Wii launched with VC but it seems that due to the new 'classic' consoles we might not see VC on Switch for a year. Seems cynical. The Switch could really use some more games.

I was shocked. I was holding off a purchase until we learned more. Now that it seems like the wait for details will be considerable and shortages could get worse, I crumbled and bought one anyway. I'm a sucker for Nintendo.

The two games I bought.

Everyone will be happy.

OR...

Just put them on VC.

I'd like both personally. Some games could use the HD treatment while others could be released on VC.

With the SNES classic coming I'd love it if they just released those 21 games on a single cart as well. Could help if there are shortages and we could play them on the TV and Handheld.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They don't really need it at the moment. They've got some pretty big games releasing nearly every single month plus a lot indie titles and such to fill in the gaps. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear about it till next year when stuff like Mario has dropped. Spread out the news and releases and all that. They've already got a really strong start.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You understand that this would not impede first party game development right?

i think the point is people like miyamoto should be focused on making incredible new content for the system instead of trying to figure out emulation or voice chat like gaf would rather have him do (which would be totally out of his area of expertise anyway as we've already seen).

too bad everyone here wants the switch to be another generic ps4 or xbox instead of it's own thing

It's not an either/or situation.

i think the point is people like miyamoto should be focused on making incredible new content for the system instead of trying to figure out emulation or voice chat like gaf would rather have him do (which would be totally out of his area of expertise anyway as we've already seen).

too bad everyone here wants the switch to be another generic ps4 or xbox instead of it's own thing

I didn't realize it was a one man company.

Nessus

Has Nintendo ever actually stated that there will even be a Virtual Console on Switch? Not "We'll talk about that at a later date"

Without VC it pains me to admit that I would buy Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD for the Switch, even though I own them on Wii U and have owned Twilight Princess on the Wii aswell as Windwaker on the Gamecube.

I don't know what it is about those bastards but every time the re-release the same damn game but prettier, I end up caving in and buying it.

Nintendo just have the claws deep in my back and don't plan on letting go.

I doubt Miyamoto has ever had any level of involvement in the Virtual Console and a VC on Switch would be highly unlikely to take any time away from what he's currently devoted to.

Kindekuma

Banned
I'm looking forward to being able to play Super Metroid at home and on the go.
I'm in no rush for VC, I'm enjoying whats available now and looking forward to whats coming later.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I doubt Miyamoto has ever had any level of involvement in the Virtual Console and a VC on Switch would be highly unlikely to take any time away from what he's currently devoted to.

which -- if true -- is a VERY good thing. nintendo is obviously all-in on creating new content instead of just dumps of old games like you see on the other systems. not sure what's so wrong about that. might be an unpopular opinion here, but i think "fixing" voice chat or social or w/e would also be a waste of his time.

if there's one lesson nintendo has learned it's to focus on their fortees, and that's why all the hype is around them right now in spite of the whining you might see on places like gaf

which -- if true -- is a VERY good thing. nintendo is obviously all-in on creating new content instead of just dumps of old games like you see on the other systems. not sure what's so wrong about that. might be an unpopular opinion here, but i think "fixing" voice chat or social or w/e would also be a waste of his time.

if there's one lesson nintendo has learned it's to focus on their fortees, and that's why all the hype is around them right now in spite of the whining you might see on places like gaf

I'm not sure you know how game development works. Game designers wouldn't be the ones working on classic console emulation or Nintendo's online network.

Top Bottom