• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: "The Nintendo Switch virtual console can’t come soon enough"

It's honestly one of the main reasons why I was excited for the Switch. I want all of my classic games on a single, portable platform.

Nintendo's first goal should be getting original and current content for their platform...then worry about the 30-year old re-releases.
They have at least one dedicated studio (Nintendo European Research & Development) of programmers specialized in this.

trixx

Not only is virtual console a system seller. But it's free money and it really is a good utility for filling in the drought periods with some classic games.

The wii u's 30 cent game promo was great, hopefully it comes out soon and we have a similar promo. Not only that but hopefully Nintendo drops lots of games on a weekly basis

Several posts in the thread have implied thy 'needed to do more'.

I don't think VC is necessary for Switch's success (as has been proven by its sales), but I think it'll be a pretty big value add when it eventually comes and may convince a new group of consumers to jump off the fence.

Nydius

Has Nintendo ever actually stated that there will even be a Virtual Console on Switch? Not "We'll talk about that at a later date"

I would like to know this too. Because if Virtual Console was coming to Switch surely they would have spoken about it by now?

Same. The silence on the issue makes me wonder if they're just not planning on a Virtual Console this time around and plan to lean heavily on the "free" retro subscription game(s) instead.

I wish they'd just come out and state their intentions so we aren't left speculating. Though, if they do bring out a VC, I hope they really update the basic Switch UI so we can at least create folders on the main page rather than having one-tile-per-game taking up so much space.

oti

Banned
I wish Nintendo would release a NES mini package and a SNES mini package when VC launches. Those exact games in a package but cheaper since there's no added hardware. That way, demand would somewhat drop from people who own a Switch and those prices are actually pretty good compared to regular Virtual Console pricing.

D.Lo

I don't think VC is necessary for Switch's success (and has been proven by its sales), but I think it'll be a pretty big value add when it eventually comes.
agree. Just disagree with those implying a sold out console needs it to succeed right now.

agree. Just disagree with those implying a sold out console needs it to succeed right now.

Oh yeah, that's definitely nonsense.

I actually think it's totally fine if they wait until sometime next year to launch it.

I wish Nintendo would release a NES mini package and a SNES mini package when VC launches. Those exact games in a package but cheaper since there's no added hardware. That way, demand would somewhat drop from people who own a Switch and those prices are actually pretty good compared to regular Virtual Console pricing.

I've been talking about this for months! The 30 NES games and 21 SNES games from the Classics line on a NES Classic and SNES Classic cart for $60 each would be a huge seller.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Virtual Console was a Wii thing. I wouldn't take it for granted.

There is a possibility it isn't coming.

D.Lo

Hey look, someone who commented without reading the article.
Hey look someone who didn't read the thread, where I specified I was speaking about other posters.

No one said this.
You would think with the performance of the Wii U that Nintendo would be going all out to win back support

Oh yeah, that's definitely nonsense.

I actually think it's totally fine if they wait until sometime next year to launch it..
They really did screw up VC on wii U. It their data probably shows it is a revenue generator but not a system seller. I personally would love some VC sooner, but they defeinutely do not need it now and maybe data shows it would cloud the system perception as being 'yet another retro box'.

I put on Metal Slug at work between Mario Kart rounds and some idiots who walked in at that point were like "wow it can only do shit old graphics like this?"

tumblr_inline_nrymjmcyKP1rrfdxt_500.gif

Betty

Banned
I find it hard to believe Nintendo wouldn't want to sell those games AGAIN.

This is the same company that is doing a limited run of the SNES Classic, when they know for a fact if they produced way more it would still likely sell out.

Nintendo just dislikes money sometimes.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I find it hard to believe Nintendo wouldn't want to sell those games AGAIN.

They might have a new plan for those games.

Of course they'll continue to make money off them, just in different ways.

I just want Super Mario World and a left joy con with a dpad

Then I'll be happy

I, too, want different JoyCon set-ups. For instance, I'd like a Left JoyCon with the Thumbstick on the bottom, which would allow for a symmetrical thumbstick setup. I'd also like to see a Right JoyCon with the joystick on the top, which would allow for a traditional pre-thumbstick control set-up (that coupled with your idea of a Left JoyCon with a traditional D-Pad would be awesome). With that set-up, though, the sticks would be on top, like Wii U (maybe they could make some JoyCons without joysticks?).

It just is such a bummer. As a somewhat lapsed Nintendo fan (skipped Wii U and barely touched the Wii when i had it), i'm jonesing for the classics and the major 1st party exclusives I've been missing out on. I guess I allowed myself to forget the fun fact that Nintendo just does inexplicably odd things and just assumed the VC was a given. I've enjoyed my Switch so far, but I played Zelda and Mario Kart to death and haven't turned it on in weeks and I honestly can't see myself really touching it again until Odyssey (and then what after that?...), which bums me out. I'd love to be playing some Super Mario World or some other games I have crazy nostalgia for that I haven't touched in 10+ years (i'm never going to buy a "mini" console).

oti

Banned
This is the same company that is doing a limited run of the SNES Classic, when they know for a fact if they produced way more it would still likely sell out.

Nintendo just dislikes money sometimes.

You're underestimating production and opportunity costs. Uploading ROMS on a server is not the same as the production and distribution of hardware.

Their Mini line of hardware are just novelty items.

I am hoping that they are trying to figure out how to emulate NES-Gamecube or perhaps even Wii Titles for the Switch VC. Something really big, I think these nostalgia mini consoles aren't going to be a longterm thing because they are so limited and it seems like Nintendo kills production after a short period of time.

I mean, if they want to blow people away even more, maybe some of this stuff is almost like a subscription service, where you get to play some or a lot of them for free because of the way online is supposed to be paid access next year. Maybe, you pay a little more and you get access to a lot of the VC catalogue, I mean that would be too nice and smart, a netflix kind of service for old Nintendo games. Maybe, Wii U/3DS purchases carry over somehow. That all feels like a huge stretch, but the switch has me overly optimistic about Nintendo and what they might do. There is the fear they end up squandering it, and VC ends up just a mess. I hate the slow drip, give it all or just more than a slow drip of titles. I want things like Conkers BFD and SMRPG. Give me that stuff on the go. Please?

I think what we will see is just a section with filters for different games running on a new emulator. Or maybe just the same old ones at the same old prices of expensive, over a slow drip.

sleepnaught

It just is such a bummer. As a somewhat lapsed Nintendo fan (skipped Wii U and barely touched the Wii when i had it), i'm jonesing for the classics and the major 1st party exclusives I've been missing out on. I guess I allowed myself to forget the fun fact that Nintendo just does inexplicably odd things and just assumed the VC was a given. I've enjoyed my Switch so far, but I played Zelda and Mario Kart to death and haven't turned it on in weeks and I honestly can't see myself really touching it again until Odyssey (and then what after that?...), which bums me out. I'd love to be playing some Super Mario World or some other games I have crazy nostalgia for that I haven't touched in 10+ years (i'm never going to buy a "mini" console).
I feel the same. Drives me bananas because of how simple it would be to being all those retro titles over. Basically free money and endless fun for Switch owners. What I hate the most is being left in the dark, they haven't mentioned a thing about their plans for VC, whether it's even happening or not.

Nydius

GameCube VC would be awesome. I'd buy Baten Kaitos and Metroid Prime in a heartbeat.

A slightly upscaled F-Zero GX, to fit the screen without much distortion, even in original 4:3 aspect ratio... I'd pony up the cash for that. Being able to play FZGX on the go would be fantastic.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Switch Virtual Console is going to be awesome.

And really easy to use!

Simply start up the Nintendo Switch Online app on your Android or Apple smartphone device and select the game you want to play.

Then, turn on your Switch and select the pop-up box that reads "I'd like to play (game you chose on smart phone here)!"

Finally, once you've entered your Nintendo Account password, you'll receive a second pop-up on your smartphone device, asking you to confirm the game again, just to be safe.

And then finally, once you enter your Nintendo Account password one more time, the game will be playable on your Switch.

(Please note that while the Switch is docked at home, you are unable to use the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller but the handy touch screen d-pad and buttons on your Nintendo Switch Online app will give you all the control you need over your favorite games!)

Shadoron

I've been wondering if Nintendo has been looking at the VC situation for Switch, and realized that they can't really continue to charge people over and over again for the same VC releases. Now that we have digital titles actually linked to an account, how many people would be willing to pay full price for a VC release on each new Nintendo system? I get that they could do what they did between Wii and WiiU (small addon fee to "modernize" the games across platforms), but maybe the holdup is that they would rather do some kind of Netflix style subscription service instead. In ten years, when the hypothetical Switch EMU gets added to the Virtual Console, how could Nintendo justify charging everyone again to play the games they already own? Considering both carts and digital purchases now get linked to your account? They've been able to force everyone to double dip on older classics, because those games were never sold digitally. I can't imagine the gaming populace would be too happy re-buying games going forward, especially with advances in account linking.

Personally, I'd love to have all my digital purchases carry over, once purchased. Like a Steam setup. Buy once (or twice, in regards to older cart only games), and then as the technology matures, reincorporate those games back into the Virtual Console service. However, I just can't see Nintendo leaving all the potential profit on the cutting room floor. A Netflix style service would allow them to charge a monthly service fee to access all the games available, and would probably get third party offerings back as well. Look at all the third party VC games (and systems) that never made the migration trip from Wii to WiiU / 3DS. Once we get passed the DS / Wii era of games, Nintendo can't really charge for double dipping anymore. Not without a huge backlash. If I was a betting man, I'd guess that Nintendo Corporate sees this, and is working on VC as a service, so they can continue to make income on their back catalog. As a player, this isn't the most ideal way to go... but it does have it's own benefits. No more "nickel and dime-ing" us for the same games every system. And, in order for the service to be a success, they would have to have a huge catalog of games available, and continue to add games regularly. Which is a much better situation than what the Virtual Console has been the last couple years.

But, this is Nintendo, so who knows what they are planning. VC could be dead in the water.

News flash:

Nintendo doesn't need your purchase right now. They can't even ship enough consoles as is.

They will drop these new features when they are ripe and bring in whole new batches of customers with new marketing and promotions focused on them.

MoonFrog

Yeah. I didn't do too much with Wii U or Wii VC but I kind of want to do that on Switch and move on a bit from just using the legacy consoles.

Totally agree, the standard of emulation on the Wii U was garbage, especially for NES and N64 titles. When you see it done right (like SNES on the 3ds) it's a world of difference.

Also, I totally forgot about the lack of analogue triggers. Fuck, that's a problem. I wish the pro controller had them, but I suppose you couldn't release gamecube VC just for people with pros. Damn, both Wii and GC VC have issues then.

Sure, but the kind of tech teams who work on emulators etc aren't in any way related to the actual game development content producers that make new games. Like, NERD did some of their emulators and NERD were never a game dev team. It's not an either/or.

We already have USB Gamecube adapters for the Wii U. Nintendo can just add drivers for them to the Switch's firmware.

Oxymoron

Has Nintendo ever actually stated that there will even be a Virtual Console on Switch? Not "We'll talk about that at a later date"

Totilo: Have you guys said if there’s going to be, aside from all that, a Virtual Console experience?

Fils-Aime: We’ve not used the term Virtual Console.

News flash:

Nintendo doesn't need your purchase right now. They can't even ship enough consoles as is.

They will drop these new features when they are ripe and bring in whole new batches of customers with new marketing and promotions focused on them.

How about giving the people who bought their console something to play

D.Lo

News flash:

Exactly.

No one said this.

Hey look someone who didn't read the thread, where I specified I was speaking about other posters.

I am not in anyway saying they need it to succeed. But when they launched the switch they didn't know if it would really catch on or not. And yet, they didn't feel like having VC at launch was worth it. That's baffling to me. Obviously we can see now that it wasn't necessary, but March 2nd, 2017 no one would've said "Yeah the Switch will sell like crazy, don't bother with VC or other features for now." For a company that was probably one failure away from actually going 3rd party this time (especially as they're consolidating to one system), they didn't really act like it.

giapel

Ok, how about this for a theory: Nintendo doesn't want to disrupt sales of indie games early in the lifecycle of the switch therefore delaying the virtual console.

I bought the switch operating under the assumption there would be some vc or means to play retro games. I would be very disappointed if that turned out to be a bad assumption.

sleepnaught

Ok, how about this for a theory: Nintendo doesn't want to disrupt sales of indie games early in the lifecycle of the switch therefore delaying the virtual console.
Most of those are still MIA. Waiting
im
patiently for Stardew Valley.

VeeP

for more to play than Zelda and Mario Kart.

That's me right now. I have Zelda and Mario Kart. Nothing else is really worth the price point atm. Binding of Isaac? I have it on PS4, it's not worth $30/40. SSF2? Worth $10, maybe $15, not fucking $40. I bought SFV on PS4 for $20, not going to buy a remaster or a remaster for $40. Arms? Not interested. Splatoon 2? Played the demo, not interested.

So at this point, I would love Yoshi's Island, Wario Land 4, or other classic to tide me over until Sonic Mania and Mario Odyssey.

I would buy Super Metroid and A Link to the Past and Super Mario 64 digitally for like the 4th time. Would rather have all of my old purchases transfer over, even with a fee, but the lack of news regarding the VC is worrying. Almost feels like there never will be any.

That's me right now. I have Zelda and Mario Kart. Nothing else is really worth the price point atm. Binding of Isaac? I have it on PS4, it's not worth $30/40. SSF2? Worth $10, maybe $15, not fucking $40. I bought SFV on PS4 for $20, not going to buy a remaster or a remaster for $40. Arms? Not interested. Splatoon 2? Played the demo, not interested.

So at this point, I would love Yoshi's Island, Wario Land 4, or other classic to tide me over until Sonic Mania and Mario Odyssey.

you need snake pass. Trust me.

FinalAres

I think this is the real point. There are plenty of good games coming out On Switch but not all are going to appeal to everybody. Me I have Zelda, Mario Kart, Snipperclips and Bomberman. I kind of bought the last two out of desperation. What would have been better is if there was VC to fill in the gaps.

Top Bottom