• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vision is a third-person open-world game that has been in development for 4 years by a single person

CyberPanda

Banned
Justin Darlington has been working four years in a passion project, called The Vision. The Vision is a third-person open-world survival game that will be using Unreal Engine 4. A couple of days ago, Darlington released a pretty cool trailer for it, therefore we’ve decided to share it with you.

The Vision will offer multi-verse and space travel, something that promises to make its world feel more alive. Players will be able to travel to any period in time on Earth, or in deep space. Players will have to gather resources and knowledge about their world to survive. Moreover, finding shelter will be a crucial element to their survival in The Vision’s massive open world.

For a game that is made by a single person, The Vision looks stunning. Darlington wants to grow the team so that he can finish the game, though it’s not certain whether such a thing will happen. The game also sounds really ambitious, something that may present major development obstacles to Darlington.

So yeah, take this project for what it’s really is; a prototype of a game. The following trailer will give you an idea of what Darlington has created so far.

Pretty impressive for a one-man team.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Damn we must've played an entirely different splinter cell if yours was a sci-fi third person shooter.

Sonic the Hedgehog reminds some people of Super Mario Brothers. Resident Evil reminds some people of Silent Hill. Grim Dawn reminds some people of Diablo. I'll add Mass Effect as another game this reminds me of.

Maybe someone can ask the developer of this game what his inspiration (s) are (if not already posted). Game looks great so far.

Sonic the Hedgehog reminds some people of Super Mario Brothers. Resident Evil reminds some people of Silent Hill. Grim Dawn reminds some people of Diablo. I'll add Mass Effect as another game this reminds me of.

Maybe someone can ask the developer of this game what his inspiration (s) are (if not already posted). Game looks great so far.

Fair points however splinter cell is a stealth game not gears of war but sure, I guess this game reminds me of Devil May Cry.

Flintty

Time travel in a gimp suit? I’m in!

This looks incredibly ambitious, especially for a solo project. I hope he keeps things cool - we don’t want another NMS scenario.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic

The Phantom Pain gave me a lotta nostalgia for Mass Effect :)
Something to do with its lens flares tbh

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah, no.

Calling bullshit on this. There are some extravagant claims made in that video, but all we actually see is a bunch of decently constructed but entirely static (like the non-animated horse) assets in service of some pretty boiler-plate shooting gameplay.

To me, there was nothing particularly impressive or interesting on show. Unreal Engine is doing all the heavy lifting, and quite frankly that capability comes "out of the box", all the interesting stuff is what needs to be authored by the developer working within the confines of what that engine offers. And as I said, there is literally nothing in that video that shows more than basic UE functionality.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but truthfully the magnitude of the disconnect between what's shown running, and what the game apparently is setting out to do is so stark I can't greet it with anything other than complete skepticism.

Tesseract

Banned
Yeah, no.

Calling bullshit on this. There are some extravagant claims made in that video, but all we actually see is a bunch of decently constructed but entirely static (like the non-animated horse) assets in service of some pretty boiler-plate shooting gameplay.

To me, there was nothing particularly impressive or interesting on show. Unreal Engine is doing all the heavy lifting, and quite frankly that capability comes "out of the box", all the interesting stuff is what needs to be authored by the developer working within the confines of what that engine offers. And as I said, there is literally nothing in that video that shows more than basic UE functionality.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but truthfully the magnitude of the disconnect between what's shown running, and what the game apparently is setting out to do is so stark I can't greet it with anything other than complete skepticism.

MEH, there's an awful lot of content in the trailer, of course lots of it is static as it's a vertical slice demo by one guy, are you expecting complex dynamic assets?

integrated systems take time and resources

this is a shameful post and you should feel ashamed, this dude is putting himself out there and yer acting like it's vaporware by a full team

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
MEH, there's an awful lot of content in the trailer, of course lots of it is static as it's a vertical slice demo by one guy, are you expecting complex dynamic assets?

integrated systems take time and resources

this is a shameful post and you should feel ashamed, this dude is putting himself out there and yer acting like it's vaporware by a full team

Its not a vertical slice. Vertical slices are all about demonstrating the full range of things the player can do in a game, typically using a small subset of the assets. That video was the complete fucking reverse: There were tons of assets (different areas)but all it showed was a bare-bones cover shooter. Interactivity was minimal, despite the often grandiose claims of the narration for the scope aimed for. Vertical slices are proof of concept, that video just proved he could make some pretty looking assets and basic comptence in UE4.

I have tons of respect for lone/small team creators, but this just isn't remotely convincing at this stage, Its just not.

You want something impressive, check out Eskil Steenberg's Love. That is the real fucking deal.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Its not a vertical slice. Vertical slices are all about demonstrating the full range of things the player can do in a game, typically using a small subset of the assets. That video was the complete fucking reverse: There were tons of assets (different areas)but all it showed was a bare-bones cover shooter. Interactivity was minimal, despite the often grandiose claims of the narration for the scope aimed for,

I have tons of respect for lone/small team creators, but this just isn't remotely convincing at this stage, Its just not.

You want something impressive, check out Eskil Steenberg's Love. That is the real fucking deal.

meh, we'll see

your definition of vertical slice is narrow and aimed more at full teams, this is an all-encompassing proof of concept to pull in more talent (which he'll no doubt get)

love looks all right, been following it forever

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Vertical slices are all the same, its in the name. The game is a layer cake made of x number of features, vertical slice is a fraction of the overall cake cut away so to show those layers and how they combine to form the cake's overall taste.

Its purpose is to sell the concept, be it to management, backers and investors, or the public. The point is that in this instance the words are saying one thing and the visuals are showing another thing altogether. Its not a good look.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Pretty impressive for a single dude. I have a lot of respect for passion projects like this since usually they are done on the creator's own dime and time.

A little anecdote: I've fucked around with hobbyist development and making concepts/prototypes in the past. Long story short, I'd show people little projects and I found that even from friends and family I'd get mostly negative feedback like, "Do you think you can compete with Call of Duty with something like this?"[seriously]. A lot of super nitpicky breaking-down of every inconsequential detail while ignoring big cool things. Paradoxically, this actually gets worse the more photorealistic your game is.

Ian Henry

This guy putting his effort and passion in this game. I hope the game turns out well. Don't be a playa hater be an innovator

Top Bottom