• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

The game is a prequel to the comic.

The main character is different. Both in the TV show/comic timeline the game takes place while Rick Grimes is still in a
coma.

Compared to what? If you watch the TV show it wont spoil part of the game, since the game is a new story (a prequel even), based on a new character and you only have cameos of the comic/tv show. It would actually be advisable to watch the tv show/read the comic before playing the game.

Edit:Beaten.

Cool, it's just I saw a preview on IGN that said you meet up with the group from the comics and that
Hershel's farm
is in the game.

Figures. TT games are always late on Steam so I figured I'd get The Walking Dead on TT's site this time, and Steam gets it first. lol

Ugh. Come on Telltale get it up on your site already! I'm actually shocked to see it up on steam first. That's unusual.

Tell me about it. I'd like to get the game downloaded onto my portable drive before I leave class, the internet at the college is quicker then my home connection.

Oh well, it'll be nice to have the game case once the "season" is over.

ElRenoRaven

Tell me about it. I'd like to get the game downloaded onto my portable drive before I leave class, the internet at the college is quicker then my home connection.

Oh well, it'll be nice to have the game case once the "season" is over.

For me I'd get steam version except usually Telltale has the disc after the season is out. Granted they didn't do that with Jurassic Park but I'm hoping that was an anomaly. That's the only reason I buy from their site.

Symphonic

Hmm, after the mess that Jurassic Park was, this game was off my list.
OP says it's a prequel to the comic books, so this won't spoil the TV series either? Haven't watched it yet obviously, and I only have access to season one.

I loathed Jurassic Park (first episode was bearable, went downhill after that), and I just played around 30 minutes of The Walking Dead and it is LEAGUES upon LEAGUES better.

The only problem I've had so far is some video/audio stuttering which is practically a staple of Telltale games at this point. The actual game content, especially the voice acting, graphics, and just general gameplay, is excellent. It teeters between Sam and Max and Jurassic Park in terms of point and click, which is great because I liked what they were trying to do with Jurassic Park but they just failed miserably. Here they have greatly succeeded. There's already been a couple occasions where the gameplay/presentation combines in a way where I'm like, "Hey, that's pretty cool".

ElRenoRaven

I loathed Jurassic Park (first episode was bearable, went downhill after that), and I just played around 30 minutes of The Walking Dead and it is LEAGUES upon LEAGUES better.

The only problem I've had so far is some video/audio stuttering which is practically a staple of Telltale games at this point. The actual game content, especially the voice acting, graphics, and just general gameplay, is excellent. It teeters between Sam and Max and Jurassic Park in terms of point and click, which is great because I liked what they were trying to do with Jurassic Park but they just failed miserably. Here they have greatly succeeded. There's already been a couple occasions where the gameplay/presentation combines in a way where I'm like, "Hey, that's pretty cool".

Yea. From what I saw of Jurassic Park I just had no interest. I think Telltale wanted to try something different with it but it just didn't work. Needless to say I'll probably pick it up at some point for 5 to 10 bucks down the road.

Symphonic

Yea. From what I saw of Jurassic Park I just had no interest. I think Telltale wanted to try something different with it but it just didn't work. Needless to say I'll probably pick it up at some point for 5 to 10 bucks down the road.

Yeah I got it for 10 I think.

Don't let Jurassic Park affect your opinion of this game though! It's really obvious that they took feedback from Jurassic Park and polished the gameplay immensely with The Walking Dead.

GeekyDad

Nice. I wasn't sure about the pricing for all the episodes, or if they were even going to let us pay for the whole thing up front. For $20 (PSN), that's a deal I can live with.

Symphonic

derFeef

Well, I quit because the stuttering was unacceptable, I hear the sound and what's happening, but the screen is stalled. Nope... not playing this until it's fixed :(

Well, I quit because the stuttering was unacceptable, I hear the sound and what's happening, but the screen is stalled. Nope... not playing this until it's fixed :(

Ugh, what is with Telltale and technical issues? It's pretty sad that they still have these kind of problems after making so many games with this engine.

ElRenoRaven

Ugh, what is with Telltale and technical issues? It's pretty sad that they still have these kind of problems after making so many games with this engine.

What makes that wierd is that it seems 50/50. You'll have half that their stuff plays smooth then half that have issues like the stuttering. I'm lucky in that usually my stuff runs smooth. Can't wait to see if that holds truth this time.

Dinosur

That happened in JP all the time with ATI cards.

I believe dropping the shadows down to medium was the accepted quick-fix since Telltale obviously never fixed the problem. Might try that since I'm assuming it's the same engine.

AEREC

Playing! (on PC).

This hitches like crazy at "descision points" :( - I hope I can sort that out as it destroys all of the suspense.

screenies - just the link because of spoilers, but it's just from the beginning:
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/Screenshots/TWD/

Ive never seen an optimized TellTale game...these guys serioulsy need to hire some actual programmers.

I am kind of interested in getting this for 360 (based off of all the good reviews) but Ill wait and see how it runs.

Also Im guessing each episode is going to be a separate executable like all their games which actually drives me nuts...its so sloppy. I dont understand why they cant have one game and contain the additional episodes within it.

Ive never seen an optimized TellTale game...these guys serioulsy need to hire some actual programmers.

I am kind of interested in getting this for 360 (based off of all the good reviews) but Ill wait and see how it runs.

Also Im guessing each episode is going to be a separate executable like all their games which actually drives me nuts...its so sloppy. I dont understand why they cant have one game and contain the additional episodes within it.

They are actually doing a hub for this on Xbox, so each episode is DLC for that hub game. At least that's how I've understood their approach to it this time.

You and me both. I wonder if the first episode will have a demo. Would be nice to see how it preforms before committing to $20.

You can buy the episodes separately or a season pass on PS3 if you just want to dip in and check it.

Aeana

I can't decide what to do. I'd prefer to play this on my iPad, but there's no iOS date. And once I pick a platform, I'll have to stick with it. Any of the other platforms are options, but I think I'd enjoy it more on iPad. Is the iOS date supposed to be soon, or is even a release window totally unknown?

Montresor

So is this just an interactive novel with no puzzles or can it be compared to Monkey Island, Layton, Hotel Dusk, Ace Attorney, as a decent point-and-click adventure with satisfying puzzles?

So is this just an interactive novel with no puzzles or can it be compared to Monkey Island, Layton, Hotel Dusk, Ace Attorney, as a decent point-and-click adventure with satisfying puzzles?

Check the gameplay video in the previous page. Gamesradar has the first twenty minutes of the game, showing some of the stuff it does.

ElRenoRaven

Good lord. I don't know why I ever bother to read official forums sometimes. It never fails with Telltale that idiots come on and flood their forums bitching cause the game isn't out at 12:01 midnight on the dot. It's like they can't comprehend that a day is 24 hours and that as long as a game is released within that period of time it's not late and they didn't lie.

derFeef

That happened in JP all the time with ATI cards.

I believe dropping the shadows down to medium was the accepted quick-fix since Telltale obviously never fixed the problem. Might try that since I'm assuming it's the same engine.

I will try that, thanks.

ElRenoRaven

Yea shadows don't play nicely with my ATI card. I can play games maxed but shadows have to be on low or off for me. That's probably why Telltale's games run so well for me. First thing I do is turn shadows down or off. lol

PiLON

Neo Member
Anyone have a recommendation for playing this with a controller or keyboard and mouse? Is this designed for either one in particular?

Edit: Thanks for the responses, controller it is.

ElRenoRaven

Anyone have a recommendation for playing this with a controller or keyboard and mouse? Is this designed for either one in particular?

From what I've read it controls very nicely with the 360 controller. One of the devs in the insider forum said that's how he plays it. That doesn't surprise me either because they've gotten pretty damn good at making their games control great with a controller. I played Season 3 of Sam & Max and BTTF with my 360 controller and it was sublime.

Played about an hour, it's pretty decent, but typical Telltale, it's so janky. The stuttering in camera changes in cutscenes is practically unbearable.

Well when you go to the controls menu, it has a picture of a 360 controller (yep, on a PC game when you don't even have one plugged in), so it's obvious where they were going with it :p

I'm having slight audio issues, hiccups, and obviously the huge delays/stuttering in "decision points". I kind of wish I waited...

That sucks, I think I'm just gonna wait until the game gets patched then. I might just buy the first episode on psn tomorrow and if I enjoy it I'll buy the season pass on PC. It'll work out to about the same price as buying all of the episodes separately anyway.

Can I just buy the first episode for $4.99 from Steam? I'm only seeing the option to buy the whole collection for $24.99.

Edit: Saw it in the first post. Why can't I download the first episode individually? Lame. I'm not ready to commit.

Top Bottom