• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Warriors PSP - IGN review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://psp.ign.com/articles/763/763622p1.html

9.0 Presentation
Vintage 70s style, faster loading times and a strong storyline can go a long way. A great example of how the identity of your license isn't as important as how you use it.
7.0 Graphics
The visuals were a little dated in 2005 and still are. Decent character models and cool environments are supported by a solid framerate with the occasional slowdown.
7.5 Sound
A strong soundtrack and an even stronger score supplement full voice-over work and a nice selection of sound effects.
8.0 Gameplay
One of the better Rockstar combat engines is packed with plenty of moves and good enemy AI. Though the controls are sloppier than its PS2 counterpart, the game's sheer depth helps you forget it.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
Bonus characters and ad hoc multiplayer support should keep you playing beyond the 20-hour quest. The side-scrolling Armies of the Night feature is as fun as ever.
Impressive OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Spokeys

I am so getting this! With a $19.99 price point, it just can't be beat! Never played the console Warriors either but I've only heard great things about it.

I haven't played a beat 'em up in a looong time and this looks like just the thing to quench my thirst for one.

purg3

slept with Malkin
That's a good score considering, might be worth checking out since it's only $19.99

IGN said:
Sure Midnight Club 3 suffered from god-awful load times and a few other tech issues, but for the most part, the move from set-top to portable was watertight. Luckily, The Warriors does MC3 one better and actually improves access times

THANK GOD.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
trancejeremy said:
The greatest hits version of MC3 for the PSP apparently cut the loading time in half.

I'd love to get a confirmation on this. Although I didn't think Rockstar games loading times would be an issue to anyone after both GTA games.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Spokeys said:
I am so getting this! With a $19.99 price point, it just can't be beat! Never played the console Warriors either but I've only heard great things about it.

I haven't played a beat 'em up in a looong time and this looks like just the thing to quench my thirst for one.

Wow, only 20 bucks? You know, as long as these PS2/Xbox ports are being priced at $20, I find them totally acceptable. I hope this price-point will garner a lot more sales, to make other publishers follow suit and actually sell a lot of software on PSP.

Jo-El

I might pick this up. I rented and beat the xbox version when it came out and I'd love to play it again.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
If I didn't already beat the PS2 game I'd be all over this, so that said, anybody with a psp who hasn't played the console version should pick this up. :)

I'm buying this because it's $20 and I want to support that (plus I adored the movie as a kid), but really, I expect to play it for like an hour and forget about it.

PSP needs a good beat em up badly (besides final fight). I'll be using Rumble mode a lot more if the load times are improved.

Now if Sega will just release Streets of Rage Collection, I can die a happy man.

Jacobi

Banned
"7.0 Graphics
The visuals were a little dated in 2005 and still are. Decent character models and cool environments are supported by a solid framerate with the occasional slowdown."

I wonder if the framerate's gonna be flawless with 333

robot

Mr_Furious said:
Is the "The side-scrolling Armies of the Night feature" exclusive to the PSP version?

Sounds like its the same as the arcade you unlock when finishing the Xbox/Ps2 versions. Great homage to Double Dragon.

Btw, for those thinking of getting it - it's one of the most underrated games I've ever played. It's such a solid title that should be an example of how to make a movie-licensed game.

Mau ®

I'd love to get a confirmation on this. Although I didn't think Rockstar games loading times would be an issue to anyone after both GTA games.

Me too. I would buy the game for PSP if the loadtimes werent 90 seconds long.

At 19.99 why not? This should the price for most PSP games...

just picked it up, so far so good. the framerate will get choppy when you have around 10 people fighting during a mission. armying in rumble mode is limited to 6 people per gang. the tagging isn't as bad as you'd think (with the nub), it seems like the spray cans last a little longer. the controls for the fighting work fine. the camera controls kind of suck since you have to stop and hold down the L trigger order to look around. the L trigger is also used for running (in order to run you have to be on the move). the only real problem I've had so far is with the targeting, in order to switch targets you have to keep tapping the R trigger til you get the right guy. load times throughout are pretty decent except for rumble mode and going to/from the pause menu (where you'll need to go for mission objectives).

damn fine game. i probably would've paid 20 just for armies of the night.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I picked this up. Very well done.

Except, completely unplayable for me. It's ridiculously dark. No brightness control. I can barely see what's going on in a normally lit room with the PSP's highest backlight setting. On the train to work (where all my PSPing is done) the screen is completely dark. And I do mean completely dark, I can't see a thing on it.

How they could have not noticed this is astounding incompetence on their part.

DEVELOPERS - PUT A BRIGHTNESS CONTROL ON ALL PSP GAMES. IT'S NOT THAT HARD TO WRAP YOUR HEAD AROUND.

At least it was only $19.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
DyobolikaL. said:
It always seemed like a dark game to me..

Yes, it is a dark game. Which is all the more reason to put a brightness control on it. It doesn't matter what "mood" you're going for in a game if the player can't see what the hell is going on.

It's a portable system. People play it outdoors. In brightly lit rooms. On trains with windows. That's the point of a portable system.

I didn't buy a PSP to play it in my room at night with the lights turned off.

Tain

Ever since seeing the black level controls in the latest popstation, I agree. That should be a system-wide option.

Top Bottom