• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Washington Post: Racist passengers gets kicked off a United Airlines flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Aku

There's a video at the page

“Goooodbyeee raaacists!”

That was the blunt — and unquestionably sarcastic — message one heated passenger delivered to a man and a woman as they were being kicked off a United Airlines flight Saturday evening for causing a disturbance that was blamed on racist comments.

The confrontation on Flight 1113 from Chicago to Houston began several minutes earlier, when a Pakistani man and woman wearing traditional clothing were boarding the plane, according to VHF affiliate KHOU.

As the couple placed their bags in an overheard bin, a male passenger — who was not identified by the airline — asked the couple if they had a bomb in their luggage, another passenger sitting nearby told KHOU.

“That’s not a bomb in your bag, is it?” the man said, according to the passenger who was not identified by KHOU. The passenger added that the couple did not immediately hear the comment, which prompted the man to repeat his remark.

KHOU reported that a woman sitting nearby alerted a flight attendant, which led other passengers to also complain about the man’s questions. When the Indian American boyfriend of the woman who alerted the attendant complained, a heated exchange followed.

“The person ahead of us turned around and asked where my boyfriend was from; my boyfriend said it’s none of your business,” the woman told KHOU. “At that point he said all illegals and all foreigners need to leave the country.”

Cellphone footage of the incident shows the man saying all the “illegals” need to kicked off the plane, moments before the man and woman are asked to collect their belongings and exit the aircraft.

“I didn’t say anything,” the man protested, shrugging.

“Happy flight home,” he added seconds later while his female companion holds her middle finger up to the person filming. “I hope you stay there.”

“Get out of here,” a woman responded. “Racists aren’t welcome in America! This is not Trump’s America!”

“Goooodbyeee raaacists!” the woman added.

“Hey, I’ll come back, but you’ll be gone,” the man said as he walked away.

[Alaska Airlines apologizes after kicking woman off flight for having cancer]

Jonathan Guerin, a United Airlines spokesman, told The Washington Post the man and woman understood why they were asked to leave the plane and calm down. They were placed on a later flight bound for Houston, but Guerin said he didn’t know if the Texas city was their final destination.

“We removed two passengers for making others feel uncomfortable on the flight and for saying some inappropriate things to customers on the flight,” Guerin said, noting that removing customers from flights because of disruptive behavior is exceedingly rare.

“Most customers appreciate a place where they feel safe and where they’re not going to be attacked and we want to provide that,” he added.

Good riddance

rjinaz

ok that video was great. Buh bye! And I hope that girl was his daughter because she looks really young.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
To all you have a conversation with Trump supporters people. How do you have a useful conversation with these people?

rjinaz

To all you have a conversation with Trump supporters people. How do you have a useful conversation with these people?

You don't here. this was intimidation pure and simple. He wasn't looking for a conversation. Sounded like he was probably on something to boot.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That's some of the worst writing that I've seen in a major newspaper.

ItIsOkBro

giphy.gif

cdyhybrid

They just needed to calmly and civilly explain the geopolitical dynamics of the India/Pakistan region to these well-meaning citizens. This is why people vote for Trump.

They just needed to calmly and civilly explain the geopolitical dynamics of the India/Pakistan region to these well-meaning citizens. This is why people vote for Trump.

LOL

Racists really find the lamest shit funny. "Is that a bomb in your bag?" They really think the brown people will have sad faces for and entire flight while every white person rolls on the floor laughing at such cutting wit. Why the fuck did he need to say that? What compelled him to do so beyond trying to embarrass and hurt people he doesn't know and will never meet again?

How fucking privilaged do you need to be to think that you can ask, twice, on an airplane, if the foreign passenger has a bomb?

Like, I really hope they were just being nasty and they didn't honestly think they had a bomb.

Slayven

WHy do 9/10 incidents on a plane involve the overhead compartment. I never flown.

And why are you that brave to think being an ass to a stranger would work out in your favor?

rec0ded1

It sounded like the person taking the video was the one saying goodbye racists etc and not other passengers though. So glad they got booted lol.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Some white people are just fucking weird as hell. Always scared of people who looks different than them.

tuxfool

Banned
Sure, but lets not pretend people haven't been kicked off the plane for merely speaking in a foreign language within earshot of some panicked dumbass.

notaskwid

Should be put in the same rooms that people like the one they insult are put for 'questioning' for a few hours. Then maybe they'd learn something.

Too bad United Airlines didn't ban those fucks. No tolerance for that shit, especially these days. Maybe they'll lose their jobs as well.

WHy do 9/10 incidents on a plane involve the overhead compartment. I never flown.

And why are you that brave to think being an ass to a stranger would work out in your favor?

Well, I mean, usually when I see these types of stories the racist person is usually getting somebody kicked off a plane cause they read something Arabic on their phone or they said something that sounded "foreign."

Somnid

Compartment space is limited, especially if passengers have large carry-ons (which is the norm due to baggage fees, carry-ons are free). If there's no room you have to check the bag meaning you need to go to the baggage carousel when you exit the airport and there's also the possibility of it getting lost, stolen or broken. So people are pretty touchy about being able to use it and it's really annoying if anybody has to get anything out of it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Oh man NeoGAF has to collectively pool money together to fly you somewhere.

The article is about a Pakistan dude getting harrased , you do know they are two different countries right? Ignorance is just a step behind racism.

KHOU reported that a woman sitting nearby alerted a flight attendant, which led other passengers to also complain about the man’s questions. When the Indian American boyfriend of the woman who alerted the attendant complained, a heated exchange followed.

“The person ahead of us turned around and asked where my boyfriend was from; my boyfriend said it’s none of your business,” the woman told KHOU. “At that point he said all illegals and all foreigners need to leave the country.”

Usually it's racists that jump in with assumptions. Next time read the whole article.

Yup racism and bigotry is alive and well. This freaking country gets worse by the day.
The fact that the passengers stood up to them, and the airline kicked them off, I wouldn't say it's getting worse. Trump emboldened a lot of closet racists, but people are pushing back.

Parahan

Usually it's racists that jump in with assumptions. Next time read the whole article.

Uh the racist asshole asks the Pakistani dude if he has a bomb, calls the Indian American dude an illegal. The presumably sarcastic comment I quoted makes no sense in this context. Next time stop assuming people don't read the whole article.

The fact that the passengers stood up to them, and the airline kicked them off, I wouldn't say it's getting worse. Trump emboldened a lot of closet racists, but people are pushing back.

I agree. I think there are more people out there pushing back against this shit than typical brainwashed Trump supporters.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Being from Houston the last few times I've flown there have been passengers with MAGA hats. I'm like say somethibg, bitch.

Uh the racist asshole asks the Pakistani dude if he has a bomb, calls the Indian American dude an illegal. The presumably sarcastic comment I quoted makes no sense in this context. Next time stop assuming people don't read the whole article.

The comment makes perfect sense.

Your first post makes less sense as a response since you now say the article mentions an Indian dude being harassed, hence the person you quoted mentioning India. Not mentioning that second half of the article in your first post makes it look like you only read one part at the time.

Just saying you were a little quick to call someone ignorant. Leaving it at that.

So you don't think Permanently A was referring to the guy from India that was being hassled when he said 'Ah India, the real breeding ground of the terrorists.'?

I'm honestly not sure how it can possibly be read any simpler. My guess is you didn't fully read the article, or you forgot about him in your haste to label someone a racist.

Video not available. I'm guessing "outside the US"?
This work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom