• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Washington Post: Racist passengers gets kicked off a United Airlines flight

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok that video was great. Buh bye! And I hope that girl was his daughter because she looks really young.

Yeah at first I felt bad for her cause I thought her dad was just a total shitshow and she just has to live with that. Then I was like LOL NOPE SHE'S HORRIBLE TOO!

So you don't think Permanently A was referring to the guy from India that was being hassled when he said 'Ah India, the real breeding ground of the terrorists.'?

I'm honestly not sure how it can possibly be read any simpler. My guess is you didn't fully read the article, or you forgot about him in your haste to label someone a racist.

This work?

It does, thank you!

I don't think this white guy should have been kicked off. That's censorship for his freeze peach. He should air out his grievances on this platform. He should be allowed to say whatever he wants, without consequences. He shouldn't be shouted at, that's rude. You have to reply with a calm and understanding voice to racism. If we just had explained and educated him in a polite manner, got to find out his intentions, I'm sure he wasn't a bad guy, just having a bad time after a traumatic incident, had a mental illness, was a bit drunk. We shouldn't create these divisions, we need to unite more than ever. Get him on our side. Now by kicking him out, we've only emboldened his racism and he'll never become an ally. Think about his young daughter, we could have stopped her from becoming a racist. It's sad how we can't have civil arguments about simply differing political opinions.

I don't think this white guy should have been kicked off. That's censorship for his freeze peach. He should air out his grievances on this platform. He should be allowed to say whatever he wants, without consequences. He shouldn't be shouted at, that's rude. You have to reply with a calm and understanding voice to racism. If we just had explained and educated him in a polite manner, got to find out his intentions, I'm sure he wasn't a bad guy, just having a bad time after a traumatic incident, had a mental illness, was a bit drunk. We shouldn't create these divisions, we need to unite more than ever. Get him on our side. Now by kicking him out, we've only emboldened his racism and he'll never become an ally. It's sad how we can't have civil arguments about simply differing political opinions.

"Wait, he's part of NAMBLA. Scratch all that."

Breads

Banned
That racist sounds high af. Fuck him and it's nice to see a good airplane removal story for once.

Wait a minute.

[Alaska Airlines apologizes after kicking woman off flight for having cancer]

What?

(checks link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CiuXLZTBW0

Holy shit what stupid fucks. Kicking a woman out because she doesn't have a doctor's note to fly? Because of her cancer?

What is it about airplanes that bring out the stupid in people.

wisdom0wl

I don't think this white guy should have been kicked off. That's censorship for his freeze peach. He should air out his grievances on this platform. He should be allowed to say whatever he wants, without consequences. He shouldn't be shouted at, that's rude. You have to reply with a calm and understanding voice to racism. If we just had explained and educated him in a polite manner, got to find out his intentions, I'm sure he wasn't a bad guy, just having a bad time after a traumatic incident, had a mental illness, was a bit drunk. We shouldn't create these divisions, we need to unite more than ever. Get him on our side. Now by kicking him out, we've only emboldened his racism and he'll never become an ally. Think about his young daughter, we could have stopped her from becoming a racist. It's sad how we can't have civil arguments about simply differing political opinions.

lol this almost got me

Slayven

This explains so much about why you are my nemesis

I vote we send him to Mars
I don't think of you at all
I don't think this white guy should have been kicked off. That's censorship for his freeze peach. He should air out his grievances on this platform. He should be allowed to say whatever he wants, without consequences. He shouldn't be shouted at, that's rude. You have to reply with a calm and understanding voice to racism. If we just had explained and educated him in a polite manner, got to find out his intentions, I'm sure he wasn't a bad guy, just having a bad time after a traumatic incident, had a mental illness, was a bit drunk. We shouldn't create these divisions, we need to unite more than ever. Get him on our side. Now by kicking him out, we've only emboldened his racism and he'll never become an ally. It's sad how we can't have civil arguments about simply differing political opinions.

Are you a moral recidivist?

RinsFury

Feels like number of white racist fucks is increasing every day. Surprised these festering sacks of excrement actually got kicked off the plane, whatever happened to freeze peach?

if one of the people being harassed had even said the word bomb in any context, they would be detained and the cops would be called... it's bullshit that whitey mcwhiteguy merely gets kicked off and scheduled for a later flight.

Armaros

So was I, one of those dudes said they were a "Moral something(I forgot, but it was random as fuck)" and that is why he was talking crazy

Ah it was Moral Nihilism. (nothing is good or bad)

Basically "I can make excuses for literally anything, including murder"

Spladam

That guy walked out of his Breitbart bubble and got a taste of real America.
I think he was a little drunk too.

WHy do 9/10 incidents on a plane involve the overhead compartment. I never flown.

And why are you that brave to think being an ass to a stranger would work out in your favor?
Probably a mix of surrounded by echo chamber and alcohol.

You need to fly, just to experience the sensation of flight, always get a window seat on your first trip. (Then an isle seat if you can every flight after that. )

Dali

How fucking privilaged do you need to be to think that you can ask, twice, on an airplane, if the foreign passenger has a bomb?

Like, I really hope they were just being nasty and they didn't honestly think they had a bomb.
Seriously what reaction was he expecting? "Oh no! You got me, buddy." Laughter of those around him? What a clueless idiot.

“Happy flight home,” he added seconds later while his female companion holds her middle finger up to the person filming. “I hope you stay there.”

The confrontation on Flight 1113 from Chicago to Houston began several minutes earlier,

Something tells me this chap doesn't have the best understanding of the travel ban.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
God damn it, I read the title as "post-racist passengers." Now I'm wondering if there are people who call themselves that.

mclem

That's some of the worst writing that I've seen in a major newspaper.

There's too many actors involved, and many are simply referred to as 'the man' or 'the woman'. In the context for how it's written, the text does suggest that 'the woman' who was removed is the one who notified the flight attendants, which seems unlikely!

CHC

”That's not a bomb in your bag, is it?" the man said, according to the passenger who was not identified by KHOU. The passenger added that the couple did not immediately hear the comment, which prompted the man to repeat his remark.

Probably the best part right there, for me. Like, if I was that dude and I actually managed to say that on a plane and have no one hear me I'd be like "shit, really dodged that bullet there."

The fact he fucking actually consciously decided to repeat it is just... amazing, really.

Sunster

Seriously what reaction was he expecting? "Oh no! You got me, buddy." Laughter of those around him? What a clueless idiot.

It sounded like a) it was his first time on a plane and b) his first time encountering brown people.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

It's an icebreaker. The guy was supposed to respond "no, the bombs are in my shoes" then they all laugh together.

Supast4r

That's one of the most hopeful parts of this story. Racists still have a semblance of fear, a shred of understanding that society is still digusted by them and they need to lie about being monsters.
Why do you think that racists always say "I'm not racist/not fully racist?" They say that because for a white supremacist to be labeled a racist is the worst thing for them.

Aselith

WHy do 9/10 incidents on a plane involve the overhead compartment. I never flown.

And why are you that brave to think being an ass to a stranger would work out in your favor?

The overhead compartment is when people are milling about trying to put their shit up so they're having to interact a little bit. Which gives ample opportunity for the brown person to get on a racist's bad side for whatever reason the racist chooses to go in.

Once you are sitting down, people don't interact a lot of times.They just want to check their phone and go to sleep and stuff so basically at that point you have to be seated by the brown person AND a big enough racist to do something about it for stuff to pop off.

Overhead storage is like speed racisting

Ah, the fun of people hating..

Hope I don't have plane experiences like this. Already scared enough without this stuff.

Guess it's too hard for them to even follow the ideas Jesus would do. Not surprising ever.

So was I, one of those dudes said they were a "Moral something(I forgot, but it was random as fuck)" and that is why he was talking crazy
He was an "existentialist and moral nihilist" which led him to defend Milo on pedophilia lol

Milo: “You’re misunderstanding what pedophilia means. Pedophilia is not a sexual attraction to somebody 13-years-old who is sexually mature. Pedophilia is attraction to children who have not reached puberty. Pedophilia is attraction to people who don’t have functioning sex organs yet. Who have not gone through puberty. Who are too young to be able (unclear and cut off by others)…That’s not what we are talking about. You don’t understand what pedophilia is if you are saying I’m defending it because I’m certainly not.”

Now this is 100% on the money. Cmon people, let's not let our emotions get in the way of facts. Pedophilia is sex with someone who has not reached puberty. Which milo doesn't speak about once.What he is referring to is either hebephilia or most likely ephebophilia. He's not wrong here guys. And look, I'm a existential and moral nihilist. We are animals, we have evolved and now have consciousness. But our animal nature remains. We are hard wired to be attracted to others once they hit puberty. And if god didn't gift us with morals, then we are own our own to determine which actions are destructive and which are productive. But how do you determine the moment a person becomes mature enough to consent? And who would decide?

That's why I feel like Milo needs a little defense here. He's not way off base on this one. Sorry guys.

I'm not playing devils advocate. I am a moral nihilist. I do not believe morals are inherent and there are tons of grey areas because it's impossible to determine whether certain actions are destructive or constructive. Everyone screaming that now I'm defending pedophilia are loons who obviously didn't read milos point on this matter or my defense of his point. I'm not defending anything other then the fact that he's not wrong that it's a gray area and he was in fact talking about ephebophila not pedophilia, when looked at biologically is more natural. But I 100% agree with the age of consent and abide by it.

But those of you who are gung ho on now crucifying me. If your morals are so cut and dry why does every state and every country have a different age of consent?

hobozero

If you want to see the rapid breakdown of society in microcosm, watch people using the overhead compartments. It's an amazing metaphor: if everyone brought one bag of the required size, and everyone is able to use the bins properly, there is enough space for everyone. But there are always, ALWAYS fuckers who are too stupid to use the bins (don't put your shit in width-ways), or cheated the system and brought a bigger bag, or have two bags and are gonna walk down the aisle and use your space.

I have seen people open the bin, remove someone else's bag, put in IN THE AISLE, and put their own bag in its place.

There's your metaphor: plenty of space for everyone if we would just cooperate. Some people fuck it up by believing themselves to be more important than everyone else. And in the chaos and aggravation, innocent people get blamed for being the wrong skin color.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This article reads like trash. Terribly written.

jem0208

Talking about bombs on a plane is really dumb. Asking if someone has a bomb because of their skin colour bios beyond idiocy.

The stupidity of racists really stretches my faith in humanity...

Some white people are just fucking weird as hell. Always scared of people who looks different than them.
FTFY.

Slayven

moral nihilist

aka sociopath

Moral Nihilist

A fair step down the well from a mere recidivist.

He was an "existentialist and moral nihilist" which led him to defend Milo on pedophilia lol
I like the old days when people wore being an asshole badges proudly and didn't try to dress it up.

But when I go to Bronsonlee's house and drink out the milk carton I will just say I am a "Moral nihilist"

Gattsu25

Banned

Each overhead compartment is usually above a set of three seats. Depending on the plane, each overhead compartment can fit either:
2-3 very small bags where the top of the bag is facing the door of the compartment
2 slightly larger bags if the bags are laid out length-wise if the compartment is big enough

So on full flights you often run out of overhead storage especially on the planes with smaller overhead compartments. This forces people to "check in" their luggage by having an airline crew member toss it into the storage compartment at the bottom of the plane.

This raises a few problems:
Customers pack their checked-in and carry-on luggage differently. Checked in luggage receive a lot more abuse and fragile items inside can easily be broken. If liquid is involved (e.g. a bottle of lotion) then you run the risk of crushing the liquid container and soaking everything else in the bag.
This also means that customers that planned on "traveling light" (without a checked-in bag) now have to wait on the baggage carousel when they are done with their travel. Few problems with these: They take forever and you can lose over an hour of time waiting for your bag. Your luggage might end up in a different destination airport than you do, especially if you have a connecting flight. The entire checked-in baggage system is based on an honor-system: you have to trust other people not to steal your luggage.

Also consider that people don't always use the overhead slot on top of their seat and are often hunting for the very first open slot they can find. This means that customers that board the flight near the end but have a seat in the front half of the plane may have to walk all the way to the back of the plane looking for an open overhead baggage slot, slowing down the entire boarding process and generating angry glares for keeping people from their destinations on time. And in the end they might get to the back of the plane, find no open spots, and need to check in their bag anyway.

Also, you can run into an open slot that your bag doesn't fit in, or a slot that can easily fit three bags but other customer's bags are taking up more space than needed, or find a closed compartment where when you open it to check you see that some jackhole tossed in their jacket as if it was a bag and the slot can easily fit another bag or any number of other things.

Many people are afraid of flying so their nerves are already on edge and their tempers short. They see someone else touch one of their bags, or they run out of overhead storage themselves or anything else really and they are prone to get confrontational. These are the same people that get angry as hell because a baby is crying on the plane. Those people are assholes.

All in all, I'm used to the entire song and dance but not everyone is. The only thing that gets me upset with flying is when someone tries to steal my seat. I also pack my carry on bag in such a way so that it can handle the abuse of being checked-in just in case that happens.

Unicorn

Is this from the Catholic school essay thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom