• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The White Man's (New) Burden

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Two Words

That's very much on-topic.

There's a relevant quote in the article posted in the OP, in fact.

Well I don't behave a certain way to represent a "black community" I don't think really exists or view myself as a part of. It's just that I act how I act and am rewarded when people are relieved I don't act like somebody out of a "Friday" movie.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I'm just completely baffled that white men think they can dictate the terms of being a minority in society to actual minorities in society.

gogosox82

Do you guys ever see racism going away? It is so ingrained in us at this point that I honestly can't see it ever ending. From institutional racism to subconscious thoughts we have every day it seems impossible to completely get rid of it. Although I truly wish we could for the sake of our future. Does anyone have a theory on how we could come together as a whole and stop this madness not just for blacks but for every race or is it just wishful thinking?

Also I agree with the comment about violence in the black community. I've seen so many of my friends and family members become victim of black on black crime that it's sickening. It honestly makes me disgusted to be a part of this community sometimes when I see so many of my brothers and sisters just throwing their lives away for the dumbest of reasons.

No there's no way to dismantle racism simply because there is institutionalized racism ingrained to the society. So until institutionalized racism is demolished there will always be some form of racism.

I don't follow your second paragraph. Could you elaborate a little because it sounds like your saying your ashamed to be black which I really hope isn't the case.

No racism will never go away. There is no theory that can fix that. It's like asking for crime to go away completely. It's impossible.

And if you agree with his point of violence in the black community, then you are ignorant to the realities of this country and the world. There is a lot of white on white crimes too that happen in America. You should never be ashamed to be black just because the neighborhood is violent. We are not animals, nor should we think of ourselves in such a way.
I totally agree but I didn't mean to come off as ignorant. It's just it gets really old after a while seeing people throw their lives away like that. I can't help but feel ashamed when I see so many people knowingly fall victim to these stereotypes and systems put in place. And this goes for all "races" not just blacks.
Couldn't you argue that believing we could never get rid of racism adds to the problem?

Edit: to explain the second paragraph, yes sometimes I am ashamed to be black and I have no fear of admitting that. It gets old after a while being grouped together with a small number of people who can't get their shit together. I'm not saying I dwell on it but id be lying if I said it isn't tiresome.

While it's pretty obvious that the world would be a better place if nobody was burdened by the presuppositions of others, that's just not how it works. So I can live with my burden, because it isn't difficult for me to not act like a blinkering cockslot.

First, this is a fantastic insult. I'm going to use that.

Second, to your overall point, it really is that simple. It's really not a difficult thing to comprehend. Someone else said it in here earlier too. Just don't be an asshole. By virtue of not being that person, you're already doing your part in making the world a better place. Hopefully, your behavior will inspire someone else not to be an asshole too.

It won't change the world overnight, but it's a start, and much better than being defensive.

Two Words

I'm just completely baffled that white men think they can dictate the terms of being a minority in society to actual minorities in society.

Eh, it's also fair to say that it is baffling when other people (white or minority) claim that a white person's input on being a minority in society is null because they are white.

And if you agree with his point of violence in the black community, then you are ignorant to the realities of this country and the world. There is a lot of white on white crimes too that happen in America. You should never be ashamed to be black just because the neighborhood is violent. We are not animals, nor should we think of ourselves in such a way.

There is a problem with violence in the black community. Saying so isn't racist. Saying the problem stems from their race is racist.

The war on drugs combined with our for-profit prison system has an enormous disparate impact on impoverished black communities. It is a grave injustice against these people. It exacerbates violence, and I think that would be the case for any race in the same position.

Enzom21

Well I don't behave a certain way to represent a "black community" I don't think really exists or view myself as a part of. It's just that I act how I act and am rewarded when people are relieved I don't act like somebody out of a "Friday" movie.

Why do you consider it a reward when people who clearly see all black people as a stereotypical monolith don't put you in that box. If people are surprised that you don't act the way they expect you to based on your race... they might be a bit racist.

I've gotten the "You're so well spoken." nonsense numerous when I meet a white person after previously only speaking to them over the phone. It is always said with a little shock and I always take it to mean "I didn't expect you to be black."

Infinite

There is a problem with violence in the black community. Saying so isn't racist. Saying the problem stems from their race is racist.

The war on drugs combined with our for-profit prison system has an enormous disparate impact on impoverished black communities. It is a grave injustice against these people. It exacerbates violence, and I think that would be the case for any race in the same position.

Fantastic post. Even education, instructionalized police brutality and higher education plays into this. People who are desperate and poor are likely to commit crimes.

Two Words

Why do you consider it a reward when people who clearly see all black people as a stereotypical monolith don't put you in that box. If people are surprised that you don't act the way they expect you to based on your race... they might be a bit racist.

I've gotten the "You're so well spoken." nonsense numerous when I meet a white person after previously only speaking to them over the phone. It is always said with a little shock and I always take it to mean "I didn't expect you to be black."

What? Where did I say I consider it a reward? I've specifically said I don't like those compliments. I just said that I am rewarded for not being stereotypical, not that I want the reward or like the reward.

Wait a minute, I'm a racist, bigoted, closed minded sexist just because I'm white?

fuckin lol

No. What he's saying is that some, or many, people will assume all that because you're white. I'm a 41 year old white man. In my experience, that's not been true, to my knowledge. But I have seen a "lite" version, which is that people of other races assume I don't know much about what it's like to be hispanic, asian, black, etc. And that's fair to say. Most of what I know about that is from those same people explaining it to me.

Anyway, even if people did assume I'm racist, etc, not only will they soon find out otherwise if they're around me much, but also - there are no significant consequences to me. They'll assume these things in their own mind. It's unlikely that it will turn into action.

For a black man, as an example, there might be physical consequences involved in other people's assumptions about him. I hope I don't have to come up with examples of that.

mr2xxx

Banned
Do you guys ever see racism going away? It is so ingrained in us at this point that I honestly can't see it ever ending. From institutional racism to subconscious thoughts we have every day it seems impossible to completely get rid of it. Although I truly wish we could for the sake of our future. Does anyone have a theory on how we could come together as a whole and stop this madness not just for blacks but for every race or is it just wishful thinking?

Also I agree with the comment about violence in the black community. I've seen so many of my friends and family members become victim of black on black crime that it's sickening. It honestly makes me disgusted to be a part of this community sometimes when I see so many of my brothers and sisters just throwing their lives away for the dumbest of reasons.

Racism will never go away the same way violent crimes won't either but we as a society can we greatly reduce them. And while violence in black communities is a problem, Cumia comes across as the type of guy who thinks it's an inherit problem with black people instead of something caused by fucked up policies put in place by those in power.

Enzom21

What? Where did I say I consider it a reward? I've specifically said I don't like those compliments. I just said that I am rewarded for not being stereotypical, not that I want the reward or like the reward.

Okay good. It read like you liked it, my mistake.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You may think of it somewhat differently, but the result is the same. You feel annoyed/tired by it, don't you?

While the way you behave is just you being you, you still have to deal with a response that you wouldn't get if you were white. That's a shitty thing to have to deal with every day for just being yourself.

Gattsu25

Banned
That blog post is really abrasive, at times, but I ultimately agree with it.

The benefit of the doubt is slowly being eroded and people, who never used to have this level of scrutiny on them, are now being stereotyped.

Having to internally check what you are about to say or do to see how the optics would be? It's a new experience, for some.

There's some good stuff in that blog post but that last paragraph is fantastic.

the problem with #notallmen is that while not all men are misogynists and rapists, the vast majority of misogynists and rapists are men

so yes, you can have a discussion about men needing to be taught to respect women and not commit sex crimes and you don't have to preclude it with #notallmen

I just wanted to say thank you for this. This is the first explanation on the matter that's really clicked for me.

I will say that it sometimes the words that prompt the #notallmen response are harsh enough that they do warrant a defense, but that also many people are just very defensive. But yes, the discussion is well worth having.

aeolist

Banned
I just wanted to say thank you for this. This is the first explanation on the matter that's really clicked for me.

I will say that it sometimes the words that prompt the #notallmen response are harsh enough that they do warrant a defense, but that also many people are just very defensive. But yes, the discussion is well worth having.

that's good to hear. it applies to this particular thread too, because while #notallwhites are racist, most racism in america comes from whites. presupposing racist attitudes and acting accordingly isn't "reverse racism" or anything stupid like that, it's a generally prudent survival skill for minorities.

jchap

People assuming I'm a dick?

tumblr_l5se1iTR0T1qz4w1go1_500.jpg

John Minus said:
No matter what it will be assumed that you are racist, misogynist, homophobic, etc. until proven otherwise....

...every time I encounter White people in any setting I am self-conscious about about being the best example of a Black man I can be so that I don't reinforce stereotypes about My gender and My race.
Methinks these two statements are related. If you automatically assume that every white person you meet is a racist, then of course you're going to worry about them connecting your actions to your race....because you assume they're racist and that's what racists do.

Gattsu25

Banned
Methinks these two statements are related. If you automatically assume that every white person you meet is a racist, then of course you're going to worry about them connecting your actions to your race....because you assume they're racist and that's what racists do.

Have you ever heard someone say that you were "one of the good ones"? (alternate, extra shitty, version is usually preceded by: "you're not like other [ethnic group]s")

akira28

well they've been dictating for centuries without any pushback from anyone not a white man, so I could see how they could get into the bad habit...

In my daily life I don't interact with many non-white people, so in my own world it doesn't matter if someone assumes I'm a dick or not when I pass by them on the street. But if they actually knew me they'd know I'm not. What can I do about it really.

Kaervas

Banned
Being white is still awesome, on the same note that blog post is tumblr level content and this is a fabricated issue.

the problem with #notallmen is that while not all men are misogynists and rapists, the vast majority of misogynists and rapists are men

The problem with #notallmen is that it should be #notmostmen, at least when it comes to rape. The vast majority of men are not rapists. I've read a study that suggested only a little over 6% of men are rapists. They however are mostly serial rapists who rape a lot.

So while the majority of rapists are men, the majority of men are not rapists. To conflate the two is problematic.

IrishNinja

The problem with #notallmen is that it brings out in the me the innate need to defend those most defended

boy this thread's crossin' some streams right there

Have you ever heard someone say that you were "one of the good ones"? (alternate, extra shitty, version is usually preceded by: "you're not like other [ethnic group]s")
Not in any sort of context that's similar, no.

However, I think the blog's author is falling into the same situation. He starts off thinking that any white person he meets is a racist (i.e. one of the "bad ones") until they prove that they're one of the "good ones" who aren't racist. Doesn't seem to be very helpful.

aeolist

Banned
Not in any sort of context that's similar, no.

However, I think the blog's author is falling into the same situation. He starts off thinking that any white person he meets is a racist (i.e. one of the "bad ones") until they prove that they're one of the "good ones" who aren't racist. Doesn't seem to be very helpful.

why is it his responsibility to be "helpful" when the system is rigged against him and has been since a few centuries before he was born?

why is it his responsibility to be "helpful" when the system is rigged against him and has been since a few centuries before he was born?
I meant it isn't very helpful to him. Once you start having those racial prejudices, it biases your thinking and muddies every interaction you have with people of the race in question. You start looking for confirming evidence and ignoring disconfirming evidence. Stuff like that.

But to answer your question, I think everyone in society has a responsibility to try to limit racially prejudicial thoughts. Prejudice just breeds more prejudice.

Dead Man

It's everyones responsibility to be helpful. Unfortunately those in a position to be most helpful historically have not. That doesn't excuse everyone else.

Of course, a lot of people disagree with me on that.

Racism is different in every country. I was born in Canada but I have family from Trinidad and I was their in February.

Trinidad's population is split evenly between Afros and Indians .Fairer skinned individuals fare better than the darker people in Trinidad

My late grandmother is light skin and I'm dark . She loves me with all she's got but many during heated arguments she'd use the N word in a demeaning way towards others because in trinidad its the "n-word" is exchangeable with "no good low class vagabond"

Speaking of Racism is so complicated

Gonzalez

Banned
A sequel to the 1995 movie about a world where white Americans are the minority, and African-Americans are the majority? Will Travolta be appearing in it?

Infinite

Racism is different in every country. I was born in Canada but I have family from Trinidad and I was their in February.

Trinidad's population is split evenly between Afros and Indians .Fairer skinned individuals fare better than the darker people in Trinidad

My late grandmother is light skin and I'm dark . She loves me with all she's got but many during heated arguments she'd use the N word in a demeaning way towards others because in trinidad its the "n-word" is exchangeable with "no good low class vagabond"

Speaking of Racism is so complicated

I'm from trinidad and I have the same issue with my extended family. We also have Irish in our family too so it gets a bit messy.

ppor

I haven't read the OP
(lol)
but he's not saying all white people are racist until proven innocent. He's saying that white people now live with the specter that *some* minorities will mistakenly find them racist. The fact that whites need to "prove" themselves racially worthy, this burden is something that *all* other racial groups currently have deal with in American culture.

Like black students having to "prove" they qualify for college admissions rather than being an unworthy recipient of affirmative action, Muslims having to "prove" they are loyal to the country and not closet terrorists, etc.

Infinite

I haven't read the OP
(lol)
but he's not saying all white people are racist until proven innocent. He's saying that white people now live with the specter that *some* minorities will mistakenly find them racist. The fact that whites need to "prove" themselves racially worthy, this burden is something that *all* other racial groups currently have deal with in American culture.

Like black students having to "prove" they qualify for college admissions rather than being an unworthy recipient of affirmative action, Muslims having to "prove" they are loyal to the country and not closet terrorists, etc.

idk how many times this point has to be explained in this thread.

It's everyones responsibility to be helpful. Unfortunately those in a position to be most helpful historically have not. That doesn't excuse everyone else.

Of course, a lot of people disagree with me on that.

I don't disagree in principle. It's everybody's job to be the best person they can be.

However, I can understand why someone in the underprivileged minority might get a little upset when someone in the (presumably) privileged majority says that they should "be more helpful".

Dead Man

I don't disagree in principle. It's everybody's job to be the best person they can be.

However, I can understand why someone in the underprivileged minority might get a little upset when someone in the (presumably) privileged majority says that they should "be more helpful".

No, that's understandable. Unfortunate, but I won't castigate someone for it.

APF

Because historically white men have been able to successfully do so for hundreds of years. And now we're all born into this social framework and are all influenced by it, regardless of whether we hold conscious hatred or mistrust towards minorities, or for that matter are even white, or men.

Kaervas

Banned
Would you care to explain your position, or did you just wanna get that off your chest?

Being white is awesome because you get a shitload of benefits. It is wrong to have exclusivity to those benefits because of how people look, but that won't make me not take advantage of those benefits.

This is a non issue because normal people don't care. He is a whinny guy on the net who pretends to be someone else because in his twisted mind that is what society expects him to do.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, he was serious.

I thought that last post was just drive-by satire of someone in denial.

I'm from Trinidad and I have the same issue with my extended family. We also have Irish in our family too so it gets a bit messy.

Love seeing fellow trinis
my dad side is trini mom is Jamaican.

Racism in Jamaica is more ambiguous because Jamaica is more homogeneous. but Chinese (descent) people who own most shops in Jamaica are referred to as "Mr.or Mrs chin" regardless what their names. are. Many jamaicans say it with a straight face 2 lol ...

Infinite

Love seeing fellow trinis
my dad side is trini mom is Jamaican.

Racism in Jamaica is more ambiguous because Jamaica is more homogeneous. but Chinese (descent) people who own most shops in Jamaica are referred to as "Mr.or Mrs chin" regardless what their names. are. Many jamaicans say it with a straight face 2 lol ...

I have Jamaican cousins who are also part Chinese but they still say stuff like the above surprisingly.

royalan

Being white is awesome because you get a shitload of benefits. It is wrong to have exclusivity to those benefits because of how people look, but that won't make me not take advantage of those benefits.

This is a non issue because normal people don't care. He is a whinny guy on the net who pretends to be someone else because in his twisted mind that is what society expects him to do.

There's nothing wrong with taking advantage of the "benefits" associated with being a white person. But there's everything wrong with wanting to keep those benefits exclusive to white people, which your post seems to imply. I mean, if you can acknowledge that it's wrong for white people to have the benefit of positive perception because of their whiteness, why is a person who speaks out against that disparity "whinny" and not a "normal" person? For that matter, how do you know that "normal people" don't care? Again, if you're acknowledging that it's wrong for white people to have these benefits because of how they look, it would stand to reason that non-white people would care...a lot.

But something tells me that you're a post of way from demonstrating why I shouldn't have bothered...

Dali

Dali that's literally the blog posters point. He is word for word saying what you just typed.

Link please.
Which is a stupid thing to point out is my point. He's saying assholes carry the burden of not being able to openly be an asshole. That applies to everyone, not just white people. If he delved more into how it's applicable to all white people then I'd give him more credit but he specifically says at the beginning something along the lines of "I'm only talking about the assholes here" (paraphrased). Would've been interesting if he brought the comments of the US AG into the picture and how when he said people were cock blocking the President due to "racial animus" it set so many (white) people off. Or maybe if he showed examples of how it applied to white people in general then I'd be able to appreciate what he's saying more. As it is whether black or white if you say or do some asshole shit you'll get called on it. Anyone remember Ray "chocolate city" Nagin?

I don't see what possible benefit there is to encourage continued racial profiling, bigotry and assuming the worst in humanity based on skin colour. Or are we only to assume the worst in white people and not the rest of humanity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom