• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"the wii" or simply "wii"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarusama

I see a lot of people on the boards refer to nintendo's new console with "the wii": "the wii might have ultra awesome out-of-this-world graphix!!"

Somehow I was under the impression that it should actually only be "wii". Maybe that's what I got out of the press release about the name, can't remember eggzaktly. I find just "wii" completes the the 'strange-factor' of the name quite nicely. "I know a lot of people will be bying wii at launch" sounds much better IMHO. "I've played wii recently and it was awesome!!"

Of course when refering to games or other wii-related things the articles would still be used: "the wii controller looks really nice!"

Does "the wii" sound better to most people here?

8bit

Knows the Score
dreamcast or the dreamcast?
playstation or the playstation?
xbox or the xbox?
gamecube or the gamecube?

mutsu

By saying "The Wii" it's just easier for the listener to distinguish between "Wii" and "We". That's the only benefit.

sarusama

sp0rsk said:
DO YOU THINK NINTENDO WILL BEAT UP SONY NEXT GEN?

Shinoobi said:
The 'the' is there for grammatical purposes and the 'strange-factor' is your maleducation. Good day, sir!

First: seriously, why do you people even reply in these threads, let alone read them when you obliviously don't really care about the subject.

Second: any 'maleducation' as you call it (BTW according to www.m-w.com that word isn't english) was completely on purpose (I take it you're refering to my gross mispelling of a few words).

@dragon_feces: eggzaktly my point! I was thinking it would be used as an exception to the general rules, kinda like you don't say "focuses" for the plural of focus but rather "foci".

@general: I don't mean to "you idiots have it wrong with the use of wii, stop writing it wrong you effing bastards" with this thread. I was just curious if gaffers found an exceptional use of wii to be interesting.

sarusama

8bit said:
dreamcast or the dreamcast?
playstation or the playstation?
xbox or the xbox?
gamecube or the gamecube?

and @Eddz: Yeah I guess that's true too. I prolly got into this whole "wii is special" thing too much.

But I guess 'the' works better with ps, xbx and gc 'cause they're a station, box and cube respectively. It would sound more normal there: kinda like a degeneration of play-station, etc. prefixed composed words. To some extent that would apply to the dream-cast too I guess.

From the replies though, it seems I'm alone in my simply "wii" stance. I agree with mutsu that in conversations it could be ambiguous if the context is not clear.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
sp0rsk said:
DO YOU THINK NINTENDO WILL BEAT UP SONY NEXT GEN?

Nope. I'm still on the fence with the notion of Wii being a success and you're already joking about them beating up Sony?

About the thread, it's Wii. But you could call it Revolution, or anything else you want. Even "The Wii".

sarusama said:
Second: any 'maleducation' as you call it (BTW according to www.m-w.com that word isn't english) was completely on purpose (I take it you're refering to my gross mispelling of a few words).
Ironic isn't it!!?? ;) And I was just referring to the 'strange-factor' you spoke of- it's strangely suitable to you because it's weird in a grammatical sense as much as the word Wii is weird in any sense.

Cheerilee

Eddz said:
People have been saying "The DS" too, for a long time.

No big deal.
"The DS" is a casual nickname.

"Wii" isn't allowed to be casual or have nicknames, which was one of Nintendo's priorities in picking that stupid non-word.

wonderfuldays said:
Just say Nintendo Wii or Nintendo's Wii....

Ok its much longer than The Wii....
I think "Nintendo Wii" was specifically singled out as one of the unallowed forms.

sarusama

Shinoobi said:
Ironic isn't it!!?? ;) And I was just referring to the 'strange-factor' you spoke of- it's strangely suitable to you because it's weird in a grammatical sense as much as the word Wii is weird in any sense.

Well that was my point, and for the argument it should then be strangely suitable not only for me. Since you could see my point, I'm wondering why you don't find it suitable also, is it because you don't like wii in the first place, or that you have no tolerance for grammatical flaws?

PS: for some reason I found your first post rather rude... I guess I'm not suited to "forum life" ;) Oh and r thanks ;)

Needs more syllables. I, for one, will always be referring to it as THE REVOLUTIONARY NINTENDO WII, in all-caps like we were supposed to with the NINTENDO GAMECUBE.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
According to Nintendo's guide to the media, it's only "Wii". No articles before that.

Of course, it won't keep anyone from calling it whatever they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom