• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo fans are scary sometimes, aren't they?

(awaiting inevitable "what do you mean by 'they'?!" reponse..)
Phineas-and-Ferb-The-Fast-and-the-Phineas-agent-p-4831634-384-321.jpg

Yes. Yes we are.

Note that for anybody predicting after November 23rd in the US: That date is Black Friday, a massive shopping day which particularly results in unnaturally high video game sales. Missing it would be pretty nuts.

Wasn't there something about accomplishments?

I think that's the name for a similar feature available on the 3DS. So people have been using them as a generic term for Nintendo's version of "achievements". I'd personally prefer "Rewards" as the name, as then it'd be focusing on what you get instead of what you did.

(and, of course, I want the rewards to be features unlocked in other games than the one that triggered the reward)

fernoca

I think Treyarch should be added along Activision (and Vicarious Visions), not only their last interview heavily hinted at Black Ops 2 on Wii U; but I remember talk about them having Wii U kits last year...or something like that.

Linkhero1

I'm wondering. Why is Retro on the rumored list? Is it because there's a possibility that their game could be a 3DS one?

I think that's the name for a similar feature available on the 3DS. So people have been using them as a generic term for Nintendo's version of "achievements". I'd personally prefer "Rewards" as the name, as then it'd be focusing on what you get instead of what you did.

(and, of course, I want the rewards to be features unlocked in other games than the one that triggered the reward)

Hats, lots of hats, like on the 3DS.

Linkhero1

I think Treyarch should be added along Activision (and Vicarious Visions), not only their last interview heavily hinter at Black Ops 2 on Wii U; but I remember talk about them having Wii U kits last year...or something like that.

I agree. I really do see a Wii U version of the game coming out. I don't think they would want to miss out releasing Black Ops 2 at launch.

Edit: Do they have a release date for the game?

I'm wondering. Why is Retro on the rumored list? Is it because there's a possibility that their game could be a 3DS one?

Probably because they just haven't specifically announced something yet. Even though we're almost completely certain, it is still a guess that they're making a Wii U game.

Javier

The Wii U's achievement/reward system should be a Trophy Gallery like the ones from Smash Bros. that spans every Nintendo series and characters.

Linkhero1

Probably because they just haven't specifically announced something yet. Even though we're almost completely certain, it is still a guess that they're making a Wii U game.

I see. Well I still kind of find it odd since they're a first party studio. They have to be working on something (hopefully not assets for another MK game)

Black Ops 2? November 13.

Wow this is going to fit perfectly with Wii U launch if Nintendo releases it around the same time.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Well, the Paul Gale network unearthed last year that Retro Studio received Wii U development kits very early on and that work on a title for the system started early as well. And Retro Studios has been seeking people to come work on "cutting-edge next-generation platforms", so most likely they have something in the works for Wii U. As I wrote in the opening post, I'm currently updating the thread.

PK Gaming

Fingers crossed for 2 Wii U controller support. I'd like to play every multiplayer game on an even level with my bro. (I'm looking at you Smash Bros ;_;)

HylianTom

Banned
It does seem likely. However, BLOps2 for Wii would run on the Wii U, so there's always the possibility they could cheap out and offer a "dual platform" game.
I could totally see that happening, where the maon differences are framerate, resolution.. that basic kind of thing. Very little effort in the hopes that people will buy it while they're in Launch Mania Purchasing Mode.

Linkhero1

Rösti;37556376 said:
Well, the Paul Gale network unearthed last year that Retro Studio received Wii U development kits very early on and that work on a title for the system started early as well. And Retro Studios has been seeking people to come work on "cutting-edge next-generation platforms", so most likely they have something in the works for Wii U. As I wrote in the opening post, I'm currently updating the thread.

Makes sense since we don't really know what they're up to. For all we know they could be working on a 3DS game (probably unlikely). Until something concrete is said, the rumored list sounds like good place for them.

clemenx

Banned
I have not read anything regarding this so apologies if this is being discussed on any thread.

Do we know if there's any indication that BLOPS2 is gonna be on WiiU?

Linkhero1

I could totally see that happening, where the maon differences are framerate, resolution.. that basic kind of thing. Very little effort in the hopes that people will buy it while they're in Launch Mania Purchasing Mode.

It does seem likely. However, BLOps2 for Wii would run on the Wii U, so there's always the possibility they could cheap out and offer a "dual platform" game.

Wouldn't it be a bit harder to do that if the Wii U version had online capabilities and some Wii U specific features? If their online infrastructure has changed as much as we hope, I don't think it will be possible that the Wii and Wii U version of the games are exactly one and the same.

Does Reggie survive the next few years as president of NOA? I say, no.

Just wondering: By what metrics are Wii and 3DS performing better in Europe than the US? I'm not sure there's any clear indication that NOE's willingness to localize more first-party titles has paid off in terms of overall platform health, but maybe I'm just not aware of it.

fernoca

I like Reggie, but if he's going to continue with his stance of assuming what "audiences like" in NA; he should be replaced. Disaster, Fatal Frame...barely just getting Xenoblade. For stuff like Disaster I remember he openly admitting it was his decision, the others not so sure..if Japan has such an iron-fist that they don't want those games outside Japan (but allow them on Europe) then they need to get their stuff together.

He may leave of his own design, not because he's being pushed out. I mean, he's been installed for a while now. Don't NoA execs usually have a short span?

Anyway, like that Penny Arcade comic says, he's rich as fuck now. I think this year will result in an improved bottom line for Nintendo in North America (not compared to their peak, but most certainly compared to now) in both the home and portable market segments, so he will likely not be pressured to leave. But he can walk away at any time really if he finds the job lacking.

Maybe he'll start up a gym on the side for kicks.

Or a car repair shop: "Reggie's Auto Body -- It's ready"

HylianTom

Banned
4)  Nintendo conference surprise(s)?
Nintendo begins to announce Wii Music 2, to collective groans from the audience, when, in the middle of the video, it glitches out, and is replaced by a camera on Starship Mario... featuring "Wiitley". He talks non-stop about how some bloke dressed in red saved him from his ignoble fate to join him on his quest to save some royal fruit, or something. Anyway, he's here to announce Valve is supporting Wii U, starting with ports of the Portal games...

(Yes, yes, I know, "We are not announcing anything at E3." I can dream, can't I?)
My own loophole on that statement: the conferences are technically not a part of E3. So the whole "not at E3" thing could still be true.

"Technically correct" - the best kind of correct!

Linkhero1

He will. He didn't really do much wrong, except maybe choosing not to release some niche titles here and Xenoblade. If their strategy has changed then we should start seeing most of these titles come over here either exclusively on their online service and/or packaged.

He may leave of his own design, not because he's being pushed out. I mean, he's been installed for a while now. Don't NoA execs usually have a short span?

Anyway, like that Penny Arcade comic says, he's rich as fuck now. I think this year will result in an improved bottom line for Nintendo in North America (not compared to their peak, but most certainly compared to now) in both the home and portable market segments, so he will likely not be pressured to leave. But he can walk away at any time really if he finds the job lacking.

Maybe he'll start up a gym on the side for kicks.

Or a car repair shop: "Reggie's Auto Body -- It's ready"
Holy shit haha. I spit out my juice.

I like Reggie, but if he's going to continue with his stance of assuming what "audiences like" in NA; he should be replaced. Disaster, Fatal Frame...barely just getting Xenoblade. For stuff like Disaster I remember he openly admitting it was his decision, the others not so sure..if Japan has such an iron-fist that they don't want those games outside Japan (but allow them on Europe) then they need to get their stuff together.

I didn't know that was his doing... Hmm, I too like Reggie, but I don't like that at all.

Discomurf

I think Treyarch should be added along Activision (and Vicarious Visions), not only their last interview heavily hinted at Black Ops 2 on Wii U; but I remember talk about them having Wii U kits last year...or something like that.

I can confirm that Activision is 100% on-board ;)

Kerub

Banned
Huh, F1 racing game confirmed for Wii U. Didn't know that.

Do you guys think it will be a port of the 360/PS3 games or will it be something made just for Wii U?

HylianTom

Banned
As much as I like him personally, if he keeps cockblocking us from having decent games come over, he needs to go. Getting in the way of good games is a very heavy sin.

Linkhero1

I got a chance to play Disaster and it blowed. Good decision I must say. Xenoblade on the other hand was a dumb one. Same with Fatal Frame, although I'm not a fan of the series myself.

HylianTom

Banned
Huh, F1 racing game confirmed for Wii U. Didn't know that.

Do you guys think it will be a port of the 360/PS3 games or will it be something made just for Wii U?
Call me a jaded ass, but when it comes to stuff like this, I always assume the worst. If someone goes the extra mile on a port's features, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Kerub

Banned

Don'f forget Another code!

I got a chance to play Disaster and it blowed. Good decision I must say. Xenoblade on the other hand was a dumb one. Same with Fatal Frame, although I'm not a fan of the series myself.

If the news of it placing highly in NPD is true, this might have been the best time to release it. If they sent it out a year or two ago, it probably would have been sent out to die. Now it's, like, the only Nintendo game around, and it was sold in a special new way, and it has a totally different look, which is appealing now that system owners are burnt out a little on how the earlier Wii games often looked (lots of curved, clean surfaces a la Miis or Mario).

So because of this timing (if that crazy "#3 in April" claim is true), then Xenoblade has guaranteed future entry into the US with a stronger marketing push.

In HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom