• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Man, seems like just yesterday this was above 100.
Ace.. 336 hours remain. Can you believe it?

There are very few things that, as an adult, make me feel the same level of magic as when I was a kid anticipating Christmas. This - an E3 blowout for a new Nintendo hardware - is one of those rare things.

Looking forward to my lifetime, if I live the average for a male - to about 76 years of age - then I have 43 years left. I'm guessing that a new Nintendo console will come every 8 years or so from here on, which means that if things were to continue on in this fashion, I have maybe 5 "New Nintendo Home Console" E3s left.
(I know.. there are some big assumptions in that statement, but it's just fun for conversational purposes..)

I'm trying to relish these times. :)

The Nintendo Wii U Speculation Thread Pre-E3 Survey

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost? 299$

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be? Nov. 9th

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? Donkey Kong Country Adventures (3D platformer)

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U? Resident Evil Revelations X

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week? ,,Can't compete with Apple'' (from non-gaming mags)

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference? None, I must already type with friends while watching. No time for eating.

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U and 3DS? 1:15 (20 min 3DS, rest goes to WiiU and other things)

8)  Predict:  rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). 7

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations? 3DS connectivity

10) Predict:  any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us? Flipnote U

11) Predict:  With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week? No idea, the guy who made this survey maybe?

12)  Wild-card prediction:  anything else? ~10 1st party games shown for WiiU altogether.

Smellycat

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost? $299.99

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be? November 18th

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? Retro Studio's game. (if it is a launch game)

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U? GTA V

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week? Nintendo copying Apple with the tablet and that it is far too late to release an underpowered HD console

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference? Nothing

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U and 3DS? 1 hour and 10 minutes. 50 minutes dedicated to Wii U and 20 to 3DS.

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). 8

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations? 2 controllers at the same time.

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us? Swapnotes

11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week? No idea, the guy who made this survey maybe? No clue

12) Wild-card prediction: anything else? lots and lots of games.

Woffls

What games are people getting at launch based on what's been announced and guesses? I might just get Pikmin and Assassin's Creed III given how ridiculous November is going to be for other formats with Halo 4, Hitman and whatever else ends up there. God Hitman would be good on that tablet... well, old Hitman where you actually need a map and don't have x-ray vision.

I reckon we'll be seeing lots of downloadable titles announced at E3 as well. Seems like a good place to put new 2D Metroid games...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost? 325 U.S

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be? Nov 16 (U.S)

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? That we know of? AC3

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U? Yes. Something...Japanese. I'll throw out KH3

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week? "They still do not get it"

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference? coffee

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U and 3DS? 1h 5m. 65% Wii U, 35% 3DS.

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). 9

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations? Something minor

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us? Something really weird for the online network

11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week? Oh man. I take the 5th

HylianTom

Banned
What games are people getting at launch based on what's been announced and guesses? I might just get Pikmin and Assassin's Creed III given how ridiculous November is going to be for other formats with Halo 4, Hitman and whatever else ends up there. God Hitman would be good on that tablet... well, old Hitman where you actually need a map and don't have x-ray vision.

I reckon we'll be seeing lots of downloadable titles announced at E3 as well. Seems like a good place to put new 2D Metroid games...
For some reason, Darksiders 2 keeps coming-up in my mind as a game that I'd want to move up the priorities list. But I have to grab the first one on PC first.. I must be caught-up on the story before starting!

Other than that, it's gotta be Pikmin 3.

guit3457

People who believe that Wii U will have Steam support are crazy.

Ok, I am oficially crazy because I believe that Will U will have Steam support. In fact I do really believe that Dota 2 and CS will be Wii U launch titles and they will have cross platform game support.

Take that!! XD

Caramello

I have no idea.. A lot of people seem to dismiss Lego City Stories though and I think that will be a really solid title.

LayLa

If those rumors of a wiicard thing that you carry around with you are true i'd expect there to be
1) a software version for the 3DS, so it doubles as an extra wiicard
2) some software built in to the WiiU hardware like Find Mii/Streetpass Quest - some sort of world building sim type thing? Miyamoto when asked about other designers always brings up Will Wright, and Friend Collection (which would be a good starting point) never made it outside of Japan....

Sendou

People who believe that Wii U will have Steam support are crazy.

I absolutely believe that Wii U will support Steam functions at least for Valve games. Just look at what Valve did with PS3 and Portal 2. And maybe if Nintendo is wise they will allow Valve more open approach.

sinxtanx

Last night I dreamt about E3. Nintendo's conference was glorious, but people didn't care at all. I was like, "What are you guys smoking?" and then I woke up.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nice thread fit for Community, GameplayWhore. Though I must say I find it a bit difficult to follow, the separator banners could be bigger (and separated from the white background). I like the GIF animation though, but that could also be wider.

No revelations from IdeaMan yet, I guess?

wsippel

Banned
I have no idea.. A lot of people seem to dismiss Lego City Stories though and I think that will be a really solid title.
Same here. It has a much longer dev cycle compared to other Lego games, and it's a Nintendo production. I'm sure it'll surprise people.

Whoo! Thread VI! Bring on the next to last thread of crazy speculation!

Here is how me and my dad celebrated the sixth thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5j5o1a0fjE

I may do another video for any future threads for the lols.

So what are you guys doing to celebrate the craz-

mario_15.gif
....wat

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Rösti;38095198 said:
Nice thread fit for Community, GameplayWhore. Though I must say I find it a bit difficult to follow, the separator banners could be bigger (and separated from the white background). I like the GIF animation though, but that could also be wider.

No revelations from IdeaMan yet, I guess?

He already posted the "revelations."

Jarlaxle

For some reason, Darksiders 2 keeps coming-up in my mind as a game that I'd want to move up the priorities list. But I have to grab the first one on PC first.. I must be caught-up on the story before starting!

I wish they would just do a quick and dirty port of the first one and bundle it with the second one. That would be amazing.

Effect

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost?
2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be?
3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game?
4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U?
5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week?
6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference?
7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U amd 3DS?
8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best).
9) Predict: any final hardware revelations?
10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us?
11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week?
12) Wild-card prediction: anything else?

1.) $324.99
2.) Oct 2012
3.) None at the moment. Need to see what Nintendo offers as 1st party first. Whatever Retro or Monolift Soft are working on it it's for launch if I had to pick. Or any RPG that is there at launch.
4.) Final Fantasy XIII Collection (1 and 2 with some DLC included)
5.) More of Nintendo needs to copy Apple along with a touch of Nintendo still isn't serious about online regardless of what they offer.
6.) Pizza (buffalo if I can get it) with raspberry snapple.
7.) An hour and 10 mins. Half for the Wii U and half for the 3DS.
8.) 6
9.)Design of the Wii U console will look different. Not white or in the shape similar to the Wii
10.) A PS Home like environment that looks similar to Animal Crossing crossed with the Mii Plaza. - Though this could be really out there.
11.) Don't know.
12.) Possible upscaling of some games or at the least Wii U versions of Skyward Sword and/or Xenoblade.

lednerg

Ace.. 336 hours remain. Can you believe it?

There are very few things that, as an adult, make me feel the same level of magic as when I was a kid anticipating Christmas. This - an E3 blowout for a new Nintendo hardware - is one of those rare things.

I'm trying to relish these times. :)
To add to that: This is their first console hardware they've designed in this millennium. The Wii was re-purposed Gamecube tech, after all, and the Gamecube chips were from 2000 (last millennium).

Other than that, it's gotta be Pikmin 3.
Pretty much the same for Pikmin 3 and Darksiders 2 except replace PC with PS3.

And since its basicly confirmed, I think I may get Black Ops 2 since its been since Modern Warfare since I owned a COD game and I wanna get back into it. Unless Retro creates something like it at launch..

And maybe I'll get Rayman Legends depending on how much money I have.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost? $299.99

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be? November 18th

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? Phantasy Star Online 2

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U? Phantasy Star Online 2

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week? Nintendo cannot compete against Apple, nintendo's tablet is weaker and the console is weak

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference? Vanilla Coke

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U and 3DS? 1 hour and 10 minutes. 20 minutes dedicated to Wii U and 20 to 3DS and 10 Wii.

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). 7.9

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations? Its sexy

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us? Swapnote

11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week? No idea

12) Wild-card prediction: anything else? Wii Music Drums: Extra Ravi Rave Edition (Really Wave Race of 1080 snowboarding)

usmanusb

guys games ported from xbox360/ps3 to wiiu, will there be any chance of some improvements such as higher resolution or better lightning besides frame rate?

Javier

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost? 299 U.S

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be? Late October/Early November. Can't really put a specific date.

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? Assuming it happens, I'll go with New Super Mario Bros. Mii. Rayman Legends looks cool too.

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U? Definitely. I'll go all-out by saying Nintendo Vs. Capcom (or at least an exclusive Capcom fighting game)

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week? "They're still not on par with current technology"

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference? Chips and soda

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U and 3DS? 80 min. 45% 3DS. 40% Wii U. 10% Wii. 5% DS (mostly for Pokemon B&W2).

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). 8

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations? Can't really think of anything.

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us? Achievement system that resembles Smash Bros. Trophy Gallery. Transfer system of WiiWare/VC games from Wii to Wii U.

11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week? Not sure. Hopefully we can all just get along.

12) Wild-card prediction: anything else? Smash Bros. Trailer. Mega Man is a playable character. GAF explodes.

stalker

My mini-survey entry:

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? Pikmin Online

Nibel

300 Euros.

Probably November.

Since I don't know the full list of launch games, I will take the flagship Nintendo titles which probably will be Pikmin 3 and that Retro title.

Third-party games on a Nintendo console is just a nice bonus.

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week?
No matter what games they will show, they will be critisized for their console's power. As a Nintendo fan, the plenty articles that will rise - from shit sites like IGN to shit analyst sites like Bloomberg - will be painful to read since we can expect a tons of Apple comparisons, insane fact spinning and crazy predictions.
But we live in the 21st century: we got the internet. We got GAF. I don't give much shit about the media anymore.

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference?

Since my plan is that I don't drink any soda this year I will stick to nice and cold water. As for food: probably some vegetables; I don't eat so much anymore and need clean fingers to type stuff.

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U amd 3DS?
1:30h; 70% Wii U, 30% 3DS. Maybe even 40% for the 3DS, don't forget: Nintendo wants the 3DS in America to be as succesful as in Japan - this means they need to show the right products.

8)  Predict:  rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best).
That's a tough one without knowing anything real..
Pikmin 3: 9
Retro's title: 9
Assassin's Creed 3: 8

4 player uPad support would be megaton.

10) Predict:  any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us?
The uPad is probably going to have some neat applications like the Go game from the E3 2011 show reel. Another big feature should be multi-tasking: switching from the game to the browser to look up something could be a game changer; another neat feature would be some kind of video recording function for some games. The screen is perfect for editing.

This is one of the biggest feature for me: allow gamers to record their games. But don't forget that you'd need a big HDD for that.

11) Predict:  With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week?
I think jump_button could play too much with the fire. I hope that everybody stays reasonable, takes nothing of that hate that will come personal and of course that nobodys getting to emotional. There are crazy ass Nintendo fans out there, but I see it as our quest to show that at least on GAF there are people who enjoy Nintendo's stuff without being pushed in the "crazy corner". And from my observation, there are a lots of classy guys in here.

12)  Wild-card prediction:  anything else?
If Nintendo wants to triple its sales, they should announce Shenmue 3.

z0m3le

Banned
guys games ported from xbox360/ps3 to wiiu, will there be any chance of some improvements such as higher resolution or better lightning besides frame rate?

We are already getting confirmation about some titles doing this. Aliens being the most out spoken one.

HylianTom

Banned
I wish they would just do a quick and dirty port of the first one and bundle it with the second one. That would be amazing.
You and I are close to being of the same mind on this issue. I'd happily pay full price for both games in that case.

To add to that: This is their first console hardware they've designed in this millennium. The Wii was re-purposed Gamecube tech, after all, and the Gamecube chips were from 2000 (last millennium).
Wow.. I haven't thought of it like that.. nice!

beje

Banned
So how much is everyone budgeting for the Wii U launch?

I am already dreading the amount of money I'm going to spend. Right now, I've set my budget at around $800-900USD in what I consider a worst case scenario: $349 console and $59 games.

And that's just for games I'm interested in that we already know about.

I have budgeted exactly 300€: 250€ console, 40€ game, 10€ HDMI cable. Never paid more than that for a console and never will. 340€ if there are a couple of game that interest me (which I highly doubt for a hardware launch). However, I calculated that if the MSRP ends up being 300€, I will still be able to get it for the price I intend on Amazon UK, happened the same with the 3DS (paid 225€ for console + game when the MSRP for that in Spain was like 295€)

Ports more than likely won't. Most non-port multiplats probably won't either.

Nintendo should be doing everything that they can to encourage third party devs to take advantage of the hardware. You're obviously going to be able to tell that they're ports in comparison to games built specifically for the Wii U, but there isn't any reason why they shouldn't run at a higher framerate and possibly a higher resolution. Give the CoD gamer a reason to consider the Wii U version over the PS3 or 360 version by having it run at a higher resolution while being locked at 60fps.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Nintendo should be doing everything that they can to encourage third party devs to take advantage of the hardware. You're obviously going to be able to tell that they're ports in comparison to games built specifically for the Wii U, but there isn't any reason why they shouldn't run at a higher framerate and possibly a higher resolution. Give the CoD gamer a reason to consider the Wii U version over the PS3 or 360 version by having it run at a higher resolution while being locked at 60fps.
Hopefully we'll see some standout efforts by a couple 3rd parties at E3 that will spur the rest of the developers to compete.

JaseMath

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost? $299

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be? Mid-November

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? StarTropics.
It's gonna happen!

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U? Resident Evil 6

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week? lol graphics

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference? Diet Pepsi and a bottle of water

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U amd 3DS? 90 minutes; 65% Wii U, 30% 3DS, 5% sales/other

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations? Vitality sensor built into the controller.

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us? The Nintendo Network will be overhauled - accomplishments will be official and NO MORE FRIEND CODES! Yay!

12) Wild-card prediction: anything else? Wii U available in black!

z0m3le

Banned
Ports more than likely won't. Most non-port multiplats probably won't either.

We are already getting confirmation about some titles doing this. Aliens being the most out spoken one.

You are right that a lot of ports won't take the time, but I think that has more to do with a launch of the console then the power of one... 512MB is one of the biggest bottlenecks of current gen systems, anyways fact of the matter is, some ports will in fact have some better frame rates, higher resolutions and/or better textures, not to mention AA is actually being rumored to be pushed by some developers since the Wii U has the extra power to do it.

Effect

Probably depends on whether it's a 360/PS3 or a 360/PS3/PC port and what Wii U's actual power level is.

Even with that it depends how much effort the developer is willing to put in or if the publisher itself cares. I'm honestly not expecting much from 3rd parties. My expectations are a very low. I guess it's easier not to be disappointed that way. Even on that front I'm more interested in what Japanese 3rd parties have to show or say. Think actual real support (not just talk that always comes from 3rd parties) is likely to come from them and not westen developers/publishers.

sinxtanx

$349

Late November

Not much to choose from. If there's a Mario, then that.

Valve

Headline: Can the Wii U survive against the iPad? We think that nobody in the industry thinks so

Popcorn, Coke

Gonna go out on a limb and predict WII U ONLY at the main conference. I believe they will save the 3DS stuff for their software showcase streaming.

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best).
8, strong launch lineup

New wireless Classic Controller with GameCube triggers.

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us?
Ability to connect other gaming accounts to your NN account and synch friends across services.

11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week?
BurntPork. Again. Don't ask me how.

12) Wild-card prediction: anything else?
Booth hunks instead of booth babes

Probably depends on whether it's a 360/PS3 or a 360/PS3/PC port and what Wii U's actual power level is.

That's still going to come down to developer effort and view.

I agree and hopefully that's been going on behind the scenes.

Hopefully well see some standout efforts by a couple 3rd parties at E3 that will spur the rest of the developers to compete.

Edited just in time. :p

You are right that a lot of ports won't take the time, but I think that has more to do with a launch of the console then the power of one... 512MB is one of the biggest bottlenecks of current gen systems, anyways fact of the matter is, some ports will in fact have some better frame rates, higher resolutions and/or better textures, not to mention AA is actually being rumored to be pushed by some developers since the Wii U has the extra power to do it.

We haven't heard any ports that will yet. I don't consider Aliens: CM a port. Batman: AA is an example of what I consider a port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom