• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the Gamer Card rumor? I'm at work and can't click the link
LLShC.gif

same as before

lednerg

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost?
$349

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be?
November 18th, but hopefully earlier

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game?
Don't have one yet. Why would I do that to myself before E3? lol

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U?
Games from out of nowhere by companies who know how to follow an NDA.

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behavior/substance during E3 Week?
Straight ports not magically getting graphical upgrades - must be Wii U's fault.

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference?
Buttered popcorn and Fresca.

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U amd 3DS?
Since it's on TV, it'll be an hour. I'm guessing 80% Wii U, 20% 3DS. Hopefully even less 3DS.

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best).

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations?
Some design changes to the console to make it stand out more from the Wii.

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us?
Dat OS.

11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week?
EC, self-imposed ban because of Metroid x Star Fox.

12) Wild-card prediction: anything else?
WarioWare will be a killer app, the Wii U's WiiSports.

SIDENOTE: The poor TT-guy that gave us the pic from the tablet seems to be without a job now and maybe has to defend himself infront of court cos of the NDA thing.

What's the source for that? Sucks if true. Anyone know what role he had? Was he in a technical / artistic role, or QA or something?

Nintendo should thank him IMO, he helped keep the hype and interest alive. A change in the style of analog stick isn't sufficiently awesome a surprise for him to lose his job imo, we'd heard solid rumours to that effect for weeks.

Was there any other prospect before him?

The Iron Price. Death. At least the Ninja's have shown him some degree of mercy.

lednerg

^ I think it's a case of GAF>web>GAF, because I've yet to see a link.

What was the old thread title?

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: (╯°□°)╯︵ [○⁘▓▓▓+○]

\/ Okay, thanks. Sucks to be him.

Sadist

What's the source for that? Sucks if true. Anyone know what role he had? Was he in a technical / artistic role, or QA or something?

Nintendo should thank him IMO, he helped keep the hype and interest alive. A change in the style of analog stick isn't sufficiently awesome a surprise for him to lose his job imo, we'd heard solid rumours to that effect for weeks.
He was a QA tester.

A GAF member heard this through the grapevine.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nintendo should thank him IMO, he helped keep the hype and interest alive.

Irrelevant, as said hype and interest would have been revived in a couple of weeks anyway. He broke an NDA. It was a pretty stupid thing to do.

I'd imagine that Nintendo would've preferred to wait two weeks and then unveil it at E3 to a huge round of applause and praise.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Actually, I think the news would have made a bigger boom if it was revealed on stage.

But as Harker said in the last thread, we haven't seen the last of the controller's changes.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
WdxXl.jpg

^^

I put together a comparison of the widths of the controller designs. I am assuming the heights are exactly the same, as well as sensor bar and screen.

Now, the old one is 598 pixels in that image. The new 668. Nintendo's official dimensions for the one we saw at e3 was "approximately 9 inches wide". So...

Code:
old WUC = 598 pixels
new WUC = 668 pixels

598 pixels =  9.00"
668 pixels = 10.35"

Approximately 10.35" width for the new design. Have I got my arithmetic right on that?

Actually, I think the news would have made a bigger boom if it was revealed on stage.

But as Harker said in the last thread, we haven't seen the last of the controller's changes.

Well, normally I want the megatons saved for the main event, but in this case I'm glad as it gives me time to come to grips with the changes.

darthdago

The Iron Price. Death. At least the Ninja's have shown him some degree of mercy.

the twitter link:
https://twitter.com/#!/Wollan

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Irrelevant, as said hype and interest would have been revived in a couple of weeks anyway. He broke an NDA. It was a pretty stupid thing to do.
No kidding. There's a reason why everybody who knows a thing or two about wiiU won't spill the beanbag. I'm sure that if there were no NDA's we'd know every last bit of info there's to know about wiiU. Patience, people.

299 dollars/euro

2 December

Some Wii Sports-like title that takes advantage of the tablet. Or Pikmin 3

Maybe a new Platinum/Grasshopper title in collaboration with Nintendo. EA showcases ports with fantastic implementation of the tablet.

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behavior/substance during E3 Week?
Titles that are indistinguishable from current generation. The controller is not that important for most ports.

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference?
Well, whatever Nintendo decides to offer us :)

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U amd 3DS?
Around 90 minutes. 70% Wii U, 25% 3DS, 5%Wii

6,5/10

Hope to be surprised with something I haven't thought of.

An account that connects users between Wii U/3DS and adds messaging/contact options from Social Media.

11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week?
IdeaMan? :p

Square Enix announces a new Crystal Chronicles game for the Wii U.

I just can't imagine what he was thinking posting the image.

The only thing that I can think of is that he didn't know that the current Wii U controller had slide pads instead of analog sticks. So he may have thought that he was just showing something that we'd already seen.

lednerg

[IMG http://i.imgur.com/WdxXl.jpg /IMG]

^^

I put together a comparison of the widths of the controller designs. I am assuming the heights are exactly the same, as well as sensor bar and screen.

IdeaMan said the screen is a bit bigger now, something around 6.5" diagonal instead of 6.2". I don't know if that change was in the patents or what.

EDIT: Well, if you play with fire, you get b00shed.

Gravijah

The only thing that I can think of is that he didn't know that the current Wii U controller had slide pads instead of analog sticks. So he may have thought that he was just showing something that we'd already seen.

still, he knew he wasn't supposed to be showing it off at all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
No kidding. There's a reason why everybody who knows a thing or two about wiiU won't spill the beanbag. I'm sure that if there were no NDA's we'd know every last bit of info there's to know about wiiU. Patience, people.

Pretty much. Break an NDA and you're not only risking legal threat, but you can guaranty you'll not work with that company for a long time. They throw a fit over even the tiniest little slips (like accidentally pushing a review through an hour earlier).

As a tester, he really has nobody but himself to blame. It would have been drilled into him, as well as clearly stated in his contract, that the hardware and software he's using is to be kept a secret. No photos, no documentation, no nothing is to leave the place of work, let alone posted on the internet...via social media, of all things.

He's pretty much cost himself a career.

still, he knew he wasn't supposed to be showing it off at all.

I agree, but he may have received a warning if it were the same controller that we saw at last years E3. I doubt that there would've been as much of an NDA lockdown on an identical design to the one that we saw last year.

Roo

Really nice OP :D
the epitome of this Wii U Saga

btw... I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GUYS FORGOT: UBERMATIK on the banned members list.
Unacceptable!!!!

CoolS

What I don't get about the controller leak: Why didn't he do it anonymously? As far as i can tell, he posted it on his own twitter right? Why would you do that if you are under an NDA?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well on the bright side it's another job opportunity for BritGAF as long as it's easy for you to get to Wilmslow or Knutsford.

12) Wild-card prediction: Anything else?
New 3DS to compliment WiiU 's release and the coming of age of the Nintendo Network

I could see this happening if Vita has a good showing the day before. If not, I bet Nintendo stay shtum on any future 3DS HW plans. The year will be packed enough with them launching the new console.

I've been against predictions of a redesign for over a year now, and those of us who were have been proven right. They have ceased production of the cyan model, but countless others continue to be produced. Even if a new model were to be unveiled at E3, I suspect it won't have what people expect it will -- ie. the extra analog and extra triggers... and I suspect that any software functionality it adds will be rolled out to the existing 3DS model on day 1 too.

However, a new model to fit in with Wii-U and newer facets of the Nintendo Network would make sense, when the circumstances call for it. I'd say news of this sort is a good wildcard bet, the odds aren't all that long...

Let's have a crack at this guessing game:

£230-250, €250-280, near enough $300 -- softened by pack in titles, peripherals or ambassador style incentive

Mid-November in the US/EU, possibly earlier in Japan

First party? Retro's game, whatever it is.
Third party? Darksiders 2. I can't wait!

Nintendo have made repeated specific reference to Grand Theft Auto in previous years, I don't think they'll want to miss out on GTAV. Iwata has also made mention of Call of Duty and its ilk in investor calls, so I expect something along the lines of CoD, MoH or Battlefield to be demonstrated. The Retro title could be something designed to go after that audience, and if not, getting in on the Activision / Bungie action might have been an attractive prospect. These are surprises that would be in the semi-predictable range, that would still excite people. I think there will be other titles that are just totally out of left field, from Europe and Japan.

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week?
GTA and COD, if they're there - suddenly won't be flavour of the month. If the online has any flaws whatsoever, they'll be scrutinised. Region blocking. If the MySpace rumour turns out true, and they don't have Facebook (a much bigger network) - that will be levied as criticism too. The level of criticism will all hinge on how some of the leading 'journalists' in the industry feel Nintendo have learned. I think quite a few of them are excited, so in prospect - Nintendo could have a very positive E3.

Coke + Pizza.

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U and 3DS?
1 hr, 75% Wii-U, Nintendo Network demo and partner announcements, 25% 3DS. Possible overlap.

3DS connectivity. I am hoping there is some kind of clever universal remote functionality for it, and my long odds hope is that the media functionality is surprisingly good - ie. not just Netflix at launch or whatever, but support for DLNA or something. In terms of things that affect gameplay, I flat out can't predict Nintendo in that regard - that's why I love them!

Something social. Something built in. Swapnote / Draw Something style fun, video chat demo. MySpace TV, Facebook and Youtube are likely IMO.

It could be me! I don't know. IdeaMan if he's been playing us in any way and detective GAF picks up on it after the event.

12) Wild-card prediction:
Android, or a fork / variation of it.

beje

Banned
What I don't get about the controller leak: Why didn't he do it anonymously? As far as i can tell, he posted it on his own twitter right? Why would you do that if you are under an NDA?

Plain stupidity. Even if he didn't know it was a new design, he should have known what working under an NDA means. If I ever wanted to disclose anything from my work (an when I worked in a call center I really REALLY wanted to for some stuff, yet never did), I'd make sure to leak that info absolutely anonymously and behind a dozen of proxies from a public computer.

SIDENOTE: The poor TT-guy that gave us the pic from the tablet seems to be without a job now and maybe has to defend himself infront of court cos of the NDA thing.

sacked yes, legal threats yes, but i really cant see it being in nintendo's (or travellers tales) interests to actually take him to court, it wouldnt be worth the legal fees

lednerg

Well, yeah. It was very stupid and he got very fired for it. He also had a pic of a Wii dev kit in his Twitter, which I guess nobody picked up on at the time. That, too, was a serious no-no - even though we've seen those before. You just can't do that kind of shit and expect to keep your job.

squid

The Nintendo Wii U Speculation Thread Pre-E3 Survey

$299 US ($430 AU) for basic SKU, $349 US ($499 AU) for 'Super' SKU with bigger hard drive and extra tablet

Nov 18

Realistically, Pikmin 3, though I'd love a new 3D mario ideally

GTAV, Bioshock, RE6

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week?
"Sure, there's a lot of impressive games they've showed off, but who's their audience? The casuals are busy with ios, the hardcore will stick to microsoft and sony. Nintendo is doomed".

Nestle Crunch chocolate and Vanilla Coke/Honest Quencher Lemonade

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U and 3DS?
1 hour. First 10 minutes on a stunning WiiU game, next 20 mins on 3DS, then final 30 mins on WiiU again.

8 = A couple of very good first party games (Pikmin 3 and a surprisingly fresh NSMB) and some quite strong support from third parties.

SSD! Or USB 3.0! No idea really.

Some skype-like app, where you can play bite-sized casual games with others.

Wario64 (lol). AniHawk. Ideaman!

People complain about Spike! Nintendo wins E3! WiiU opinions among (some of) gaf improve! Most game journalists still aren't impressed and either hate on it or ignore it...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I'm surprised testers get access to unreleased hardware at all. I'd think devs would make due with testing their own work while the console is unreleased.

I fear this whole MATTY B00SH business may cause game development budgets to rise even more as studios will now only hire testers with a background in handeling top secret materials working in he military and or government contracting. Those guys and gals don't come cheap.

AntMurda

My summation of Paul Gale Network

1. Post an obvious or expected occurrence. Example. There is a castlevania game for 3ds in development guys. (hmm each Nintendo handheld averages 3 castlevania games). Hey guys. Retrostudios has Wii U development kits (ohh what a surprise).

2. When an eventual newsbit happens. Hey guys yeah i knew about this. Remember that PGN exclusive i broke a year ago? Well this was what i was referring to but I couldn't say anything! Now i can.

--------------------

This ridiculous Metroid-Star Fox Saga newsbit which is illogical out of the arse. Is PGN getting a little cocky with their home made rumors. But people do win the lottery.

Just saying. This is an obvious observation. No an attack, but the rumors are handled in this exact maner.

I'm surprised testers get access to unreleased hardware at all. I'd think devs would make due with testing their own work while the console is unreleased.

Also, this whole MATTY B00SH business may cause game development budgets to rise even more as studios will now only hire testers with a background in handeling top secret materials working in he military and or government contracting. Those guys and gals don't come cheap.

testers get paid a pittance, programmers/artists ect. get paid a fortune, of course testers will do the testing

Gahiggidy

Huh? Why? Because testers are dumber or less trustworthy than other employees?
Uh, just that I figured it would be on a need to know basis, plus, I assumed testing happened at the tail end of development, when the project is 90% done.

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost? Hoping for $299, expecting $349

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be? November

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? Pikmin 3

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U? Please, for once, let it be an awesome third party racer. Cars, boats, whatever - just something with tons of tracks and vehicles.

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week? "Not as powerful as the upcoming MS/Sony consoles"

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference? Coffee

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent 75 minutes - 30 3DS/stats/bs, 45 Wii U

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). Expecting 7 - but if the Dreamcast launch lineup can finally be matched, I will be very pleased

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations? Microphone on DRC for chat during multiplayer

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us? Still hoping this "gamer card" thing can be an app for my phone and not another thing to keep track of

11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week? Everyone's saying AceBandage, so I'll go with that.

12) Wild-card prediction: anything else? UE 4? I have no idea.

Sendou

Let's do this.

349€
Let's see what we'll get.
Diablo III and a Civilization game
Nintendo didn't reveal everything.
Soda and salt & vinegar chips
1h; 50/50
2 supported tablets confirmed
Wii U Fit style app coming with system.
IdeaMan
Steamplay is coming to Wii U significant amount of games supported

Deguello

I wonder if the leak would have happened if we had correctly interpreted the patent information months ago and made the controller redesign common knowledge. Maybe his job loss and tainted reputation could have been averted.

The TT employee's leak is ultimately tragic. And we all share some fault. All are punishèd.

Almost totally his fault though. "LOL Gonna tweet dis here controller on the internet from work! Derp!"

Uh, just that I figured it would be on a need to know basis, plus, I assumed testing happened at the tail end of development, when the project is 90% done.
Fair enough, testing ramps up at the end of development but is required at pretty much every stage to some degree, so it is certainly the case that testers are needed. When I was a tester in the months running up to the Wii launch I was part of a fairly large in-house team doing testing for a game that was to launch soon, and part of a much smaller team working on a game that was more a proof of concept with about three levels and didn't have a publisher yet

EVIL

allot of testing is done at the midst of developing. Allot of large developers have internal QA teams that whenever a vertical slice, or whatever milestone will be presented, that bit will be as polished and bug free as possible. Plus you don't want to keep testing stuff last. I mean what if you have this game breaking bug, and you only find out in the last months and it appears it will require a 4 month render code rewrite? you can kiss your release date goodbye at that point. You also don't want the developers to test every build themselves, this takes time away from actually developing, writing code, making art, etc.

anyway, the guy should have known better. You sign an NDA! so its your ass on the line. I have no sympathy for the guy, that's very unprofessional.

edit:
What is this youtube comment:
dec 21, 2012. end of the world brah!

Gahiggidy

Anyone else think the mic on the wuc should be moved to to top of the unit? Otherwise I could see it getting covered up by clothing... and pregnant ladies' bellies.

Anyone else think the mic on the wuc should be moved to to top of the unit? Otherwise I could see it getting covered up by clothing... and pregnant ladies' bellies.
You just gave me an idea... maybe in order to branch out to more age groups, Nintendo has decided to include an ultra-scanning device in the wuc with motion detection capabilities so that unborn fetuses can get in on the action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom