• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. It's just not that often that such dark thoughts are openly expressed. Scary.. and grounding. But i like. Anything above that will be met with sighs of relief and joy.

This E3 is going to tell us a lot about how much Nintendo "gets it." So I will be holding my breath a bit. :p
I like being "that guy". On planes I'd be all "wouldn't it suck if this plane crashed" to the person next to me. They'll frown at first but when they arrive and it doesn't, it will be like a gift.

Also I've been saying the same thing. We will truly find out if Nintendo occupies the same planet as us this E3. Everyone knows what they need to do (mostly, besides some unreasonable stuff), do theyyyy know.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I like being "that guy". On planes I'd be all "wouldn't it suck if this plane crashed" to the person next to me. They'll frown at first but when they arrive and it doesn't, it will be like a gift.

What happens when airport security kicks you off the flight and locks you in a room?

I think a lot of people have already determined for themselves whether it's a flop or not.

Reggie: "Honestly, we got nothing"

Hey at least they were honest, NINTENDO WINS E3!!!!!111!!!11

You know, I really don't see why people are so sure about NSMBWiiU being an actual game. The only word I know about it is from a Nintendo PR person, which is paper thin evidence.

C'mon now, Nintendo's not going to launch their first HD console with a 2D side-scroller.
It's a 2D Mario. It'll sell 600 million copies.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
It's a 2D Mario. It'll sell 600 million copies.

Those have been released once the console has a healthy install base. The early adopters who buy consoles on day one aren't that game's target market.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Those have been released once the console has a healthy install base. The early adopters who buy consoles on day one aren't that game's target market.

Neither was Wii Sports. That worked out pretty well for them.

EDIT: To be clear, I think that if there is in fact a NSMB game like what we saw at E3 2011, I don't think it will be day one and I think they will save it for early 2013 to ensure momentum continues.

japtor

You know, I really don't see why people are so sure about NSMBWiiU being an actual game. The only word I know about it is from a Nintendo PR person, which is paper thin evidence.

C'mon now, Nintendo's not going to launch their first HD console with a 2D side-scroller.
It's one of the safest sellers they have, it's not too crazy to think it'll be there.

That said I'm really hoping if it's there it's not a full separate retail release, just some type of pack in game along with the other minigames shown last E3 or something. Maybe connect with NSMB2 as a bonus for people with 3DS that buy that and a Wii U.

two nsmb games at a single conference releasing within 3-4 months of each other would be overkill even for nintendo, unless nsmb wii u has drastically changed from the past games to justify it (and even then they'd know they'd be cannibalizing sales)

TunaLover

The casual stuff will be inevitable, let´s hope they don´t waste too much time showing people throwing shurikens at the TV, playing WiiSports 2, or browsing internet.

Anth0ny

Iwata: "As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch."

Solution: NSMB at launch. It's happening.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope video games.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Iwata: "As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch."

Solution: NSMB at launch. It's happening.

No one's interested in paying $350 just to play that game. Not happening.

Gahiggidy

if this thing is priced at 350 I expect to be blown

away

I'm talkin pikmin, gpuz, ramz, marios, retros, exclusives, partnerships, games, onlines, free stuff, kneedeep.

$300(console) + $50(game) = $350

antonz

As big of a Nintendo fan I am. NSMBWii would do nothing for me as far as launch titles go. It would be a terrible game to have at launch as while fans enjoy it the 2D marios are practically designed with the casual fans in mind now who wont be buying Wii U day one. 3-6 months after launch perfect but not at launch.

They need core gamer titles ready to go

if this thing is priced at 350 I expect to be blown
You will be su-

Oh. :|

The best Full Metal.
Never seen Panic, honestly. Have seen Alchemist, and am definitely a fan. Either continuity, although I prefer manga/Brotherhood. Also, Jacket's more culturally significant than either, so!

Does Australia have editors?
You're sitting on stockpiles of Australium, surely you can afford editors!

As big of a Nintendo fan I am. NSMBWii would do nothing for me as far as launch titles go. It would be a terrible game to have at launch as while fans enjoy it the 2D marios are practically designed with the casual fans in mind now who wont be buying Wii U day one. 3-6 months after launch perfect but not at launch.

They need core gamer titles ready to go
what if it's a 2D mario they label as Super Marios Bros 4 (or 5, wherever they are at), and it's their actual take on a sequel rather than hd nsmb.

I just don't want an easy game I can beat quickly. Throw me some challenge shiiiet.

antonz

what if it's a 2D mario they label as Super Marios Bros 4 (or 5, wherever they are at), and it's their actual take on a sequel rather than hd nsmb.

I just don't want an easy game I can beat quickly. Throw me some challenge shiiiet.

If they went back to the old style 2D games I would be willing to give it a chance. I enjoyed NSMB on DS and Wii but adding Miis and making it HD is just not gonna do it for me again. They need some serious spicing up

"we need to boost 3DS sales in all regions and spearhead DD initiatives, and convince gamers to buy a new console. i know, let's release extremely similar evergreen titles aimed at the same demographics within a quarter year of each other and hope that people buy both instead of settling for just one."

not gonna happen unless nsmb wii u is overhauled, a pack in, or nintendo has gone nuts

If they went back to the old style 2D games I would be willing to give it a chance. I enjoyed NSMB on DS and Wii but adding Miis and making it HD is just not gonna do it for me again. They need some serious spicing up
I feel you. That's why I keep saying if pikmin and that are their main launch attractions, then I am most definitely passing.

I've said it before but I'll just buy AC3/blop2/etc on the console I own now and be just fine for a while.

HylianTom

Banned
Couldn't you just find some creatively sick ways to destroy the disc, for our sake? I bet you could.
I have the distinct feeling that, upon confirmation that they do indeed intend on bringing this title to market, EC would make it his mission in life to infiltrate the developers' premises in order to destroy the game's coding, and any servers that might house backup copies.

(oohh.. just got a great idea for a bad movie!)

And if Pikmin 3 is there on Launch Day, I'm going to have difficulty resisting..

Gahiggidy

For reference, here was the Gamecube's 12-Game launch lineup:

All-Star Baseball 2002
Batman Vengeance
Crazy Taxi
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2
Disney's Tarzan Untamed
Luigi's Mansion
Madden NFL 2002
NHL Hitz 20-02
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Super Monkey Ball
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Wave Race: Blue Storm

I would have told you Nintendo launched with three games, but it was just two. From what we know, the third party games for Wii U launch ought to top that list. Its the unknown 2-4 Nintendo games we need to see.

I just irc'd!

It was fun.

I'd like to thank them for not kicking me out when I posted my unbelievably inappropriate gif of me masturbating to Alicia Keys.

Anth0ny

No one's interested in paying $350 just to play that game. Not happening.

What are people interested in paying $350 for, then?

"we need to boost 3DS sales in all regions and spearhead DD initiatives, and convince gamers to buy a new console. i know, let's release extremely similar evergreen titles aimed at the same demographics within a quarter year of each other and hope that people buy both instead of settling for just one."

not gonna happen unless nsmb wii u is overhauled, a pack in, or nintendo has gone nuts

I'm actually expecting it to be a pack in now that NSMB2 is a thing. Two separate NSMB games at retail within 3 months of each other would be insane. It'll be nothing more than NSMB Wii in HD, with a couple of new levels, the ability to play as Miis, and probably some NFC crap.

"Wii U w/ free New Super Mario Bros. game!" could definitely move some units around Christmas time.

I hope I'm wrong about this, btw. I despise NSMB. But I can't see anything else filling the roll of a "successful launch" for Nintendo. Mario has to be there. Maybe 3D Mario?

Gahiggidy

What are people interested in paying $350 for, then?

Super Mario Summit/Circus/Anything in the mainline 3D Mario games. Especially if its one of the most gorgeous games they've laid eyes on.

For reference, here was the Gamecube's 12-Game launch lineup:

All-Star Baseball 2002
Batman Vengeance
Crazy Taxi
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2
Disney's Tarzan Untamed
Luigi's Mansion
Madden NFL 2002
NHL Hitz 20-02
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Super Monkey Ball
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Wave Race: Blue Storm

I would have told you Nintendo launched with three games, but it was just two. From what we know, the third party games for Wii U launch ought to top that list. Its the unknown 2-4 Nintendo games we need to see.

Well Pikmin and Melee came out a month later too.

Keyouta

I really hope, a little off topic, that Nintendo uploads E3 demos to the eshop for the 3DS games that are playable on the show floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom