• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

•New image based Lens Flare tech,occurs dynamically.
•UE4 capable of producing one million particles at once with no hit to game peformance.

ibgcMAbm3dSITW.gif

Apparently, next-gen is all about PARTICLES, PARTICLES EVERYWHERE

edit: I tell you one thing though, I love the way the armor on his upper thigh interacts with the rest of his thigh, no clipping

That looks amazing, even as a PC gamer who can max out almost every game she owns (Damn you, Witcher 2!!).

Terrell

•UE4 capable of producing one million particles at once with no hit to game peformance.

ibgcMAbm3dSITW.gif

edit: I tell you one thing though, I love the way the armor on his upper thigh interacts with the rest of his thigh, no clipping

They're supposed to be 100% dynamic particles, yet I can see at least 3 of them repeat the same falling pattern and none of them change trajectory when that thing swings its weapon through the air.

Yep, next generation IS here, we got our first bullshots.

Roo

ibgcMAbm3dSITW.gif

A new Metroid Sector 3, Magmoor caverns etc with those particles would be glorious :3

Emitan

I really have to wonder how impressive it really is though. Could we have something looking that good on UE3 if they only had to make a tech demo?

Budget is probably the most limiting factor.

Vinci

Danish
I really have to wonder how impressive it really is though. Could we have something looking that good on UE3 if they only had to make a tech demo?

Budget is probably the most limiting factor.

I must be visually challenged, because I don't see anything particularly impressive about that gif. Haven't since the original thread in which it appeared and don't now.

*shrugs*

I don't get this obsession over UE4.

It's really all about what developers do with the engine, and something like the Unreal Engine 3 makes it easier for developers to do what they like. Shit on DmC all you want, but it has some nice visuals when the art team tries

Nintendo had great art direction this generation to make up for subpar tech, so imagine what they could do with more powerful hardware

Zero148

I may be wrong but I reckon they showed some gameplay, either way as far as I'm concerned I couldn't care less about CG teasers.

I rewatched it yesterday, and I would say most of brawls trailer was actual gameplay or ingame graphics. Not so much CG like in the subspace emissary

Jindujun

Neo Member
Yes. I guess you could argue to flip Iwata and Miyamoto, but I think this fits the best.

Yeah i had some trouble deciding but ended up with Iwata as Wisdom, ie. the man with the knowledge(or the man with the plan if you so wish), and Miyamoto as Courage, as in Courage to try new things with games.
While we could switch them i think this one is slightly more "correct" :)

I think in a way they have to talk hardware early because Ubisoft and such were given the go ahead for Monday to reveal stuff. Nintendo isnt one to let others do the big reveal so they are making sure to get some info out ahead

Ubisoft accidentally released the Rayman Origins trailer already haha. Yeah at least Nintendo can get in more info before Ubisoft/EA fully show their hand.

Wolfie5

Concept of Wii U

We have already seen some of the features last year, so I am guessing it won't simply be a repeat of that.

Here is what I think they will show tomorrow:

Final look of console and controller
Demonstration of NFC. (with a game? Which one, I wonder)
Online structure (how it works, DLC, etc.)
Added features (camera at the back maybe--> AR stuff)
Support for 2 upad controllers (I wonder if there will be a game where you play 1vs1 without using the TV...Fight!)
Edit: And there will be apps plus the e-book stuff.

ibgcMAbm3dSITW.gif

Character self shadowing is well done, fire effect is pretty too.

Still not full GI though, hammer should affect lighting on the character model and it doesn't.

Looks great but isn't on the "this makes current gen look like dog crap" that they keep hyping. Still waiting for the full trailer...

Luigison

I wish they wouldn't have that Nintendo Direct tomorrow... all the surprises should come at the conference, dammit!
If all the surprises are at the conference that leaves less to be shown on the floor. I think preempting E3 with a Nintendo Direct and then book ending E3 with the conference is a great plan.

Zero148

I wish they wouldn't have that Nintendo Direct tomorrow... all the surprises should come at the conference, dammit!

Is it not every year like this that not every surprise is at the conference for Nintendo? Usually not before the conference, but it is often like this that in the presser we see a bunch of games we heard no word about at the conference. Wasn't even Xenoblade (Monado) such a game?

And It is very good that there is this NIntendo Direct about the Hardware, then have more time in the conference for the Software.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Is it not every year like this that not every surprise is at the conference for Nintendo? Usually not before the conference, but it is often like this that in the presser we see a bunch of games we heard no word about at the conference. Wasn't even Xenoblade (Monado) such a game?

Xenoblade was in fact one of those games. Ironically, I think it was after the press conference in 2008... you know... the TERRIBLE one. They had some great stuff after the show and I was so confused as to why they didn't show it.

Also after E3 2010 we learned about Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, LoZ: OoT 3D, Star Fox 64 3D, Pilot Wings, Steel Diver, and probably more. We had no idea about these until after the conference. People were actually confused if OoT 3D was a real game or a tech demo.

So I'm assuming Iwata will be speaking in Japanese just like all the other Direct's, right?
I'd guess not, because this one doesn't seem targeted at Japan. The other Directs were held at like midnight for us, but this one's at 3pm Pacific on a Sunday, which is 7am Monday morning in Japan - when most people are at work or getting ready for work.

HylianTom

Banned
Pfff, I will be celebrating my uncle's 70th birthday tomorrow. Not even a Miyamoton can tear me away from family.

I'll be leaving the house tomorrow morning to visit my sister and my new niece; she's gotta get used to having Uncle Tommy around spoiling her rotten! But I'll be back in time for Direct, oh yes..

opi1saved

Neo Member
Concept of Wii U

We have already seen some of the features last year, so I am guessing it won't simply be a repeat of that.

Here is what I think they will show tomorrow:

Final look of console and controller
Demonstrations of NFC. (with a game? Which one, I wonder)
Online structure (how it works, DLC, etc.)
Added features (camera at the back maybe--> AR stuff)
Support for 2 upad controllers (I wonder if there will be a game where you play 1vs1 without using the TV...Fight!)
Edit: And there will be apps plus the e-book stuff.
I don't expect much more than a look at the finalized hardware, which is fine by me. I think any OS, Nintendo Network, or apps will be saved for Tuesday.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can't wait to see how much development time is wasted inserting as many particles as possible.

Probably less than current gen thanks to the engine handling the physics and simulation.

Apparently the conference isn't long enough to get all they want across. I mean, they are doing this shindig tomorrow, then Tuesday the conference, Tuesday night the roundtable, Wednesday they have an event just to show off all the games... sounds to me like Nintendo's got a lot to talk about this year.

Emitan

Apparently the conference isn't long enough to get all they want across. I mean, they are doing this shindig tomorrow, then Tuesday the conference, Tuesday night the roundtable, Wednesday they have an event just to show off all the games... sounds to me like Nintendo's got a lot to talk about this year.

Fuck. I'm getting hyped. I said this wouldn't happen.

HYPEEEE

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Xenoblade was in fact one of those games. Ironically, I think it was after the press conference in 2008... you know... the TERRIBLE one. They had some great stuff after the show and I was so confused as to why they didn't show it.

Also after E3 2010 we learned about Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, LoZ: OoT 3D, Star Fox 64 3D, Pilot Wings, Steel Diver, and probably more. We had no idea about these until after the conference. People were actually confused if OoT 3D was a real game or a tech demo.

I remember no Xenoblade.

That Monado Beginning of the World trailer though was a suprise...in 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPI4WLEQ5as&feature=player_embedded

Oooh dem pigtails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom